College Football 2008: Postseason Thread (Before, During, and After)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 45 comments
Simply put, get Utah in the Pac 10 (11) and Boise State in the Big 12 (13). They both deserve better national recognition for their programmes.

Sorry, the SEC's not going to pay for that much airfare for personnel and cargo (never mind the vast geographic distances), although I'd like to see them both play a few regular-season games that are out-of-conference and geographic area (a la Week 1's Tennessee - Cal match-ups).

On YouTube, someone suggested a 13th game between the WAC champion and Mountain West champion to determine who goes on to a BCS Bowl. I want your thoughts on that.

Tonight's match is the GMAC Bowl between Ball State and Tulsa. I'll have these results in my next report.

I think it is a bad idea. Why should they have to play a game to decide who goes to a BCS bowl game. If teams from their conferences meet the requirements don't they go to a BCS bowl anyway?

Let's get ready for a little college football. The calm before the storm as Ball State and Tulsa will set it off in southern Alabama for the GMAC Bowl.

The GMAC Bowl
Ladd-Peebles Stadium - Mobile, Alabama, USA

#22 Ball State {Cardinals} vs. Tulsa {Golden Hurricane}​

Soon, the University of South Alabama will call Ladd-Peebles Stadium their home for Jaguars' football. They are the kings of Mobile. Someone will be kings to be coronated and honored with a victory here in this game. The Ball State Cardinals have been the most magical team, winning every game except their MAC tournament game against Buffalo (studentdriver smiles). The other team is powerful as well. The Golden Hurricane of Tulsa are ready to blow away the Cardinals. Mother Nature usually isn't too favorable for winged creatures. The Golden Hurricane were no different as they blew out Ball State. Pun intended.

FINAL SCORE:
#22 Ball State - 13
Tulsa - 45

That's it for all the non-BCS bowls. All that remains is Florida and Oklahoma to tussle in Miami. Talk to me, GTPlanet... who's taking home the National Championship?

Allow me to make a little preview as to what I think could happen.

Florida vs. Oklahoma - A Casual Preview
I'm impartial to the SEC. I think the Big XII South is as tough as the SEC. So who would I take? I'm not real sure. Florida's the home state team, but the game is in Miami, and the Miami Hurricanes don't like the Gators all that much (understatement). This means that whomever will win this match will depend on what defense plays better. As the saying goes, defense wins championships. I'm an Urban Meyer fan, and I'm sure he has to be proud of (non-topic) his former team (Utah) going unbeaten without him since Urban coached his former Utes to an unbeaten season. An aspect I don't like about some sportscasters is that in a bad game or in a low margin of victory, there's concern. Like when Texas narrowly beat out Texas A&M in 2005 or 2006, there was concern that they couldn't beat a game USCal squad under Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. We all know what happened in this epic classic. I have a few predictions as to how this game will turn out.

I'm impressed with Florida. I'd take Florida, only slightly. Tebow and company have too dynamic an offense for Oklahoma to try and contain. However, Oklahoma could win this game by a holeshot (drag racing expression) if they score and keep scoring. If Oklahoma does this, then what happens in Florida's efforts to supress Oklahoma's offense will mean almost nothing. If I had to choose, I'd go with Florida. I'd probably favor Florida by seven points and no more. The margin of victory could be as low as 3 and as much as 14. I'm not expecting a blowout by either team unless nobody shows up in Miami to play.

Of course, that's why they play the game. And tomorrow night, find out who your BCS National Champion will be. You may debate at will.

It's 7-7 after thirty minutes of play. We may see a little more offense in the second half like in the Fiesta Bowl back on Monday. All deadlocked. Key play was Florida batting the ball in the air for another Gator to catch it for the pick. This, after Oklahoma could smell the end zone.

The final bit of college football coverage from me for this season will come to an end tonight as Florida and Oklahoma put their dukes up for one last throwdown in Miami. Can the 2007 Heisman winner, Tim Tebow, lead his Gators to a National Championship? Can the 2008 Heisman winner, Sam Bradford, lead his Sooners to a National Championship? Oh, and by the way... these two teams will play each other... for the FIRST... TIME... EVER. Let's get it one last time, players!

The BCS National Championship Game
Dolphin Stadium - Miami, Florida, USA

#2 Florida {Gators}
~ vs. ~
#1 Oklahoma {Sooners}

This is it. This is the big game. This is the big game regardless of whether you think both of these schools are deserving of a shot at a National Championship. The city of Miami shown off the Orange Bowl back on New Year's Day. Now, it's home of either Oklahoma's eighth National Championship or Florida's third. One will probably think Florida's the home team simply because they are the home state team. But the city of Miami isn't too kind to the Florida Gators as they step into Hurricanes' and Golden Panthers (for you FIU fans) country. Oklahoma wants a National Championship after having won seven in their history. Oklahoma has lost the last four BCS Bowl games, including the 2007 upset committed by Boise State. The first quarter ended scoreless, but the Gators were chomping hard on Oklahoma as the Gators picked up a touchdown first. They drew first blood. A bit funny since crimson is a blood red color. Oklahoma fought right back the ensuing drive to deadlock things 7-7. The FOX commentators couldn't tell 3rd and Goal from 4th and Goal. It was clearly 3rd down as the announcer got to be too excited. The half ends 7-7 after thirty minutes of play. All deadlocked. Key play was Florida batting the ball in the air for another Gator to catch it for the pick. This, after Oklahoma could smell the end zone. It may take thirty (or more) minutes to decide who takes home that crystal football. Tim Tebow was utilized a bit more in the third quarter showing why he won the Heisman last season. Blue and orange got excited with a great touchdown cashed in by those mangy Gators. 14-7 now, with Florida leading. That would be the score after three quarters. A dumb Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty by Florida gave Oklahoma the chance to take the pigskin to the house. Now a 14-14 deadlock with about 12-something minutes left in the game. At 10:45 left in the game, Florida returned to the lead with a 28-yard field goal. It's a 17-14 score as the blue and orange led. Blue and orange put their foot on Oklahoma's throats again with a back-breaking touchdown pass play. Extra point? No problem. 24-14 is the margin as Florida led with 3:07 in the game. Oklahoma was denied on downs inside of 2:30 left in the game. If you picked Florida like I thought Florida did, then congratulations- you won yourselves a pat on the back... and the 2008 National Championship!

FINAL SCORE:
#2 Florida - 24
#1 Oklahoma - 14

Stay tuned for my postseason Winners and Losers in a future post.

One will probably think Florida's the home team simply because they are the home state team. But the city of Miami isn't too kind to the Florida Gators as they step into Hurricanes' and Golden Panthers (for you FIU fans) country.
Yeah, there's lots of fans of the Gators and the Seminoles in South Florida, but nearly zero talk radio committed to any other college team but University of Miami. Heck, FIU's Golden Panthers and FAU's Owls get a little dedicated coverage in their respective radio stations.

The UM-UF rivalry has been severed for almost 20 years, save for one game, but things got heated after Urban Meyer called for a last-minute field goal against the 'Canes, presumably to "cover the spread". Let's face it, had they not covered the spread, their ranking might have suffered. Instead I heard two weeks of whining by UM fans who only put up 9 points, and had less than 30 points put on them. That's not running up the score, that's just bitching; which is a pity to me, since I've always rather they do well if the Gators' were having a bad year.

The FOX commentators couldn't tell 3rd and Goal from 4th and Goal. It was clearly 3rd down as the announcer got to be too excited.

Yeah, I know the quality (good or bad) of the TV announcers for a game is usually forgotten within 24 hours, but they were flat and unexcited, and made many errors without correcting them, and the production offered little to no depth past the game at hand. Oh well.

At the end of the day, a win's a win. Congratulations to my Florida Gators! :D

Once again - You DO NOT mess with the SEC!!! unless you're Utah

Honestly, we should just make the SEC championship game the NCAA championship game.

Of course, now I wait for the, "But Utah was undefeated!!!!!" talk.

The Utah argument is the perfect example of why we need a tournament. Plus, a tournament would allow teams like Kentucky, who are mediocre in the SEC show that the record is poor because they are in the SEC, not because they totally suck.

The Utah argument is the perfect example of why we need a tournament. Plus, a tournament would allow teams like Kentucky, who are mediocre in the SEC show that the record is poor because they are in the SEC, not because they totally suck.

Florida > OU by 10 points
Texas > OU by 10 points

Hmmmm....

Florida > OU by 10 points
Texas > OU by 10 points

Hmmmm....
I'm not saying that only the SEC is awesome or that everyone else sucks. I'm just saying that no other conference is better.

And that is complete, opinionated fanboy fact!

I'm not saying that only the SEC is awesome or that everyone else sucks. I'm just saying that no other conference is better.

And that is complete, opinionated fanboy fact!

Too bad the best team from the Big-12 didn't play the best team from the SEC so that we could find out. Seems like what we really need to do is institute some sort of system in which everyone has a shot at the national championship game based on a series of elimination games in which teams actually prove that they're worthy of advancing.

We could call it a game-off.... or like.... battle-off.... something like that.

Too bad the best team from the Big-12 didn't play the best team from the SEC so that we could find out. Seems like what we really need to do is institute some sort of system in which everyone has a shot at the national championship game based on a series of elimination games in which teams actually prove that they're worthy of advancing.

We could call it a game-off.... or like.... battle-off.... something like that.
Wait! I got it! See, you play games. Play-off, playoff.

Wait, I just Googled it. It's already taken.

Back