College Football: 2024 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 49 comments
COLIDJ FUTBAWL.

No matter what team(s) you support, Enjoy this fine Saturday of college football! Don't forget there are also games to be played on Sunday and this Monday as well.

Enjoy this weekend's games!

Twenty minutes to the Dawgs kickoff.

Hopefully it goes better than the Bison game did.

IMG_4976.png

Today's musings are as follows...

* This new SEC on ABC graphics package looks lovely.

* Georgia had no problem with Clemson. Them top-ranked UGA Bulldogs tamed the Tigers 34-3 in Atlanta.

* Florida at The Swamp... well, got swamped by the Miami Hurricanes. The Miami Hurricanes left Gainesville, FL with a 41-17 to one of their in-state rivals. This is the largest season opening loss in the University of Florida's storied history.

* From "The U" to the U of U. The Utah Utes won 49-0 over the visiting Southern Utah Thunderbirds.

* Hey Dolph Drago... Boiler Up! Also winning 49-0 were the Boilermakers as they smacked the Indiana State Sycamores.

* There was a good game between Virginia Tech at Vanderbilt. The game would have been over had it not been for a shanked field goal by Vanderbilt. The Commodores of Vandy took down the VT Hokies 34-27 in Overtime.

* The Colorado Buffaloes held serve at home on Thursday against the North Dakota State Bison 31-26 in beautiful Folsom Field. Much to the chagrin of our good mate, TB.

* The University of Houston got whacked by the UNLV Rebels at home 27-7. Houston has been on the Struggle Bus since going from AAC football to Big XII football. This is an awful loss for one of the proudest football programs in America.

* Sam Houston State took down Rice hard- 34-14. The Owls somehow couldn't find a way to shut down the Bearkats from Huntsville.

* The Texas Southern Tigers defeated the Prairie View A&M Panthers 27-9. This snaps a nine(?)-year losing streak to the Panthers of PVAMU in the Labor Day Classic.

* Penn State at West Virginia had a long weather delay. When the game resumed, the Nittany Lions from Happy Valley were incredibly happy to knock off the West Virginia Mountaineers 34-12.

* OWNED! Ole Miss put 76 on the Furman Paladins for a 76-0 demolition.

* The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers ventured into Tuscaloosa, Alabama to meet the Alabama Crimson Tide. The Hilltoppers took a massive 63-0 loss.

Congratulations to all of this week's winners! Better luck next time to all losers.

It was a rather entertaining contest last night as the No. 23 USCal Trojans played their first game as a Big Ten school against the long-time SEC school, the No. 13 LSU Tigers. A late touchdown gave USCal the upset over the Tigers with a 27-20 victory.

Tonight, we have...

~cue "Monday Night Football" theme~

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL! ...but it's college. An ACC Showdown is coming up tonight in Tallahassee, Florida. The Boston College Eagles will swoop into Tallahassee to meet the No. 10 Florida State Seminoles. Florida State is looking to bounce back after being stunned in Ireland against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. If Florida State fails tonight, I don't want to hear about Florida State's Playoff hopes unless they somehow become ACC Champions.

Enjoy tonight's action!

At least Penn State looked a little better. I know its only one game but hopefully the change in OCs will help open up the offense.

All i really care about is can we beat Ohio State or Michigan

Penn State usually is a solid football team. Easy Top 25 team most of the time. But as I'm sure you're aware, CommanderBond, you can't be a contender in the B1G unless you defeat Ohio State and/or Michigan. I think Penn State will have a good season as long as they keep playing some winning football.

On a sad note, spare some thoughts for the Abilene Christian Wildcats. After almost stunning the Texas Tech Red Raiders, ACU's team bus was involved in a crash, injuring four people. A young drunk driver was responsible for causing that crash.

It was 28-13 in favor of Boston College upsetting No. 10 Florida State. Unless Florida State wins the ACC Championship, they're pretty much done as being a National Championship contender. Remember last year that Florida State were upset they did not get selected to play in the College Football Playoff. Then as a result, they were literally a no-show in the Bowl Game they played in. The Seminoles are pretty much over.

On the Boston College side, however, I just remembered Bill O'Brien is the head coach of Boston College's football team. I will never forgive Bill O'Brien for him basically trying to screw over the Houston Texans while he was coach of the Texans. This sort of disdain made me a bit skeptical about O'Brien as BC Eagles coach.

Anyhow... that's all for this week. Get ready for Week 2!

HEADS UP!

There were no games on yesterday, but there are games tonight and especially tomorrow. ESPN2 is showing BYU at SMU right now. Enjoy this week's games!

Since I lived in Georgia, I've recently started watching Bulldogs games when they air up here. Fortunately, I get both the Dawgs and the Bison games tomorrow. :D

Bison Hayes GIF by NDSU Athletics

College Football GIF by Storyful

Enjoy Saturdays the way they were meant to be enjoyed- with college football! Follow as much action as you can or cheer on your favorite college(s). Enjoy today's games!

Bro - what happened to Michigan ?? Clobbered by Texas.

Penn State pulled out a win over Bowling Green. Thank god.

Currently watching Iowa / Iowa State. this game is a dog fight.

I know Texas is 3rd in the nation and Michigan 10th, but I was expecting Michigan to put up more of a fight than the 31-12 fail they endured. Michigan didn't play like a defending National Champion. The Longhorns went up to The Big House and simply outclassed the Wolverines all day long. It was an awesome win by the Longhorns.

Those are my only musings so far to share.

Here are my latest musings on college football lately...

* Last night, BYU was 4-0 all time against SMU. Make that 5-0 as the BYU Cougars won at the SMU Mustangs 18-15 on Friday night.

* Can you believe it? No. 5 Notre Dame got upset at home by Northern Illinois! The Huskies pulled off a HUGE 16-14 win today.

* The Cy-Hawk Trophy will go to Ames, as the Iowa State Cyclones downed the No. 21 Iowa Hawkeyes 20-19.

* Indiana broke their all-time scoring record as the Hoosiers defeated the Western Illinois Leathernecks 77-3. The previous record for scoring by Indiana was when they defeated Franklin 76-0 in 1901. Western Illinois apparently has the longest losing streak in NCAA Division 1, now having lost 26 straight games.

* It was 23-12 in Salt Lake City as the Utah Utes defeated the Bears of Baylor University.

* A win is a win. The Nittany Lions of Penn State held on against the Bowling Green State Falcons 34-27.

Not a good day for Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats. They got smashed at home 31-6 to the South Carolina Gamecocks.

* 21-20 was the score in Auburn, Alabama as the Auburn Tigers lost to the California Golden Bears.

Congratulations to all other winners!

Yesterday was not a good day for Tennessee college football fans.

Bulldogs over Tennessee Tech 48-3

Bison over Tennessee State 52-3

I apologize in advance for the loss this coming Saturday, @Jordan.

Time for a new set of musings from me. Check it...

Losing
Among the losses from college football this past weekend:

• No. 10 Michigan falls at home to No. 3 Texas
  • Colorado loses bad at Nebraska
  • No. 5 Notre Dame loses at home to Northern Illinois
  • Idaho defeats Wyoming

I was most stunned about Michigan's fail against Texas. I was just stunned as to how little a fight Michigan put up against Texas. The Longhorns literally had their way with the Wolverines.

Week 3 Schedule
Let's talk about this upcoming week of college football. A lot of rivalry games, including in-state rivalries, make up most of this week's schedule. So let's talk Week 3:

* We have what I am calling the "Wildcat Bowl" on Friday night- @Yard_Sale 's No. 20 Arizona Wildcats at the No. 14 Kansas State Wildcats. It's up to the "Little Apple" for Arizona's Wildcats heading up to Manhattan, Kansas.

* Also in Kansas is the Kansas Jayhawks hosting the UNLV Rebels. This is another Friday night match.

* After knocking off Kansas at home last week, the Illinois Fighting Illini will host the Chippewas of Central Michigan.

* Wisconsin has a HUGE test coming up. The unranked Badgers welcome the No. 4 Alabama Crimson Tide. This game will be the big match on FOX this Saturday at Noon (Eastern time).

* Michigan, now 17th in the nation, will try to get back into winning graces when the Red Wolves of Arkansas State visit The Big House.

* The Florida State Seminoles seek their first win of the 2024 season when the Memphis Tigers visit Doak Campbell Stadium.

* The Civil War comes early- No. 9 Oregon is at Oregon State for an afternoon showdown. The Beaver State's two premier schools clash.

* The Apple Cup also starts up early in the Evergreen State. It's the Washington State Cougars going to Seattle to take on their hated rival Washington Huskies.

* More in-state rivalry action coming up! It's the No. 12 Utah Utes going on the road to meet the Aggies of Utah State.

* Notre Dame got stunned by Northern Illinois at home. Now an in-state rivalry is coming up for the No. 18 Fighting Irish when they visit @Dolph Drago 's Purdue Boilermakers.

* No. 16 LSU heads out on the road to meet the South Carolina Gamecocks.

* Texas A&M won't have the 12th Man Advantage when they go out to The Swamp to meet the Florida Gators.

* Get ready for the Backyard Brawl! It's the West Virginia Mountaineers ready to battle the Pittsburgh Panthers in Pittsburgh.

* Basketball powers meet in football. It's the Connecticut Huskies battling the Duke Blue Devils in Durham, NC.

* Can @Omnis ' Florida Atlantic Owls down their rival Florida International Golden Panthers at home?

* Oh, boy... @Jordan 's Kentucky Wildcats, after getting rocked by South Carolina, will host the No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs next. It 'Cats 'n Dogs in Lexington, Kentucky this Saturday night.

* Houston pride is on the line as the Rice Owls meet the Houston Cougars in this cross-town rivalry. About five miles separate these two schools. Houston stayed with Oklahoma losing 16-12. However, can Houston FINALLY win a game this season when they host Rice?

* @TB 's North Dakota State Bison will be at the East Tennessee State Buccaneers.

* A rivalry in the SWAC is coming up as the Southern Jaguars are at the Jackson State Tigers. Jackson State, you may recall, was once coached by "Primetime" Deion Sanders, who turned Jackson State into a beast football program in his short tenure.

There are MANY more games this week than what I discussed in this post. I hope you all get to enjoy some college football this weekend regardless of whatever games interest you.

Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC
I am curious as to how Texas and Oklahoma do in the SEC. Texas has proven to be pretty good so far. The Longhorns are now 2nd in the nation. Their first SEC test will be on September 28 against Mississippi State. The rest of the schedule for Texas will be all SEC teams: vs. Oklahoma, Georgia, at Vanderbilt, Florida, at Arkansas, Kentucky, and at Texas A&M. As for Oklahoma, their first SEC test will be against Tennessee. Afterwards: vs. Texas, South Carolina, at Ole Miss, Maine (non-SEC), at Missouri, Alabama, and at LSU.

I can see Texas and Oklahoma both making the field of 12 for the College Football Playoff. Now, Texas won't be playing Alabama, and Oklahoma won't be playing Georgia. So things might even out taking on arguably the toughest of the Power 4 conferences- the SEC. I think the advantage to Texas or Oklahoma depends on who wins the Red River Rivalry between them.

Whew... that's a lot. Now I've set you up for Week 3 of this college football season. Any thoughts of yours are more than welcome to be shared.

I was so focused on the basketball team earlier this year, I forgot all about Purdue's football team aside from Charlie Jones beings the punt return man for the the Bengals. Apparently they walloped Indiana St. over a week ago 49-0. Notre Dame is now ranked #18. I bet they're going to come out mad.

Tonight on the ESPN networks, we have the Arizona State Sun Devils at the Texas State Bobcats. There is also Northwestern State at South Alabama. Enjoy tonight's college football action, including any other games you're interested in this week!

South Alabama exorcised some Demons. The Northwestern State Demons were whacked 87-10 by the University of South Alabama Jaguars. This is the most points put up by an NCAA FBS team since 1991. OUCH!

[UPDATE] It was 87-10, not 82-10. Changes made.

Last edited:
If college football is your jam on Saturdays, then get ready to rock out to another fine Saturday of college football. Cheer on your favorite teams and enjoy the experience(s) only college football can provide vs. pro football. Even go to games you want to see in person. No matter what, enjoy today's games!

As per usual, I might check in with some brief thoughts on today's action. You all are free to talk about the college football you've been watching recently.

Back