United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Official Gran Turismo Academy National Finals Competition Specific Rules state:

PART A: ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. Eligibility
1.2.To enter this Competition, Entrants must:
(e) have not been convicted of any criminal offences

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/academy/2012/rules

Now, considering that, at least in our (English and Welsh) legal system, once a person has served their punishment for whatever crime, they should be treated, where practicable, the same as someone who who has never been convicted of any offence, this is somewhat discriminatory.

unfortunately not countries are the same way, and given that they're looking for an international race car driver they don't want to run into a situation where their guy wouldnt be granted a visa

Well that may remove me from competition. I've heard that Jewish people could have difficultly getting a visa into any country on the Arabian Peninsula due to their religion.

Well that may remove me from competition. I've heard that Jewish people could have difficultly getting a visa into any country on the Arabian Peninsula due to their religion.

I do wish everyone was happy and healthy but that is impossible and GTA is well within their rights and logic to put that restriction in place. And why is this sort of discrimination any worse then age discriminatory restriction that has been set in place?

I do wish everyone was happy and healthy but that is impossible and GTA is well within their rights and logic to put that restriction in place. And why is this sort of discrimination any worse then age discriminatory restriction that has been set in place?

It's not impossible. Israeli Jews (I am not one of them but it wouldn't surprise me if I fell in that category as well) have difficulty getting visas to places like that.

It's not impossible. Israeli Jews (I am not one of them but it wouldn't surprise me if I fell in that category as well) have difficulty getting visas to places like that.

Impossible to be happy and healthy i meant.
And Dubai has good diplomatic relationship with Israel to my best knowledge so all is well:P

Impossible to be happy and healthy i meant.
And Dubai has good diplomatic relationship with Israel to my best knowledge so all is well:P

Correction, it does not. Shahar Pe'er (an Israeli women's tennis player) was denied a visa to Dubai in early 2009. Unless something changed since 2011 (when I was still aware that there are no diplomatic ties between the two countries), its still the same sadly.

(Sorry for the terribly off-topic rant).

And why is this sort of discrimination any worse than age discriminatory restriction that has been set in place?

Fair point, though I'm not saying it is any worse. In fact, I quite agree, the age requirement and necessity for holding a legal road driving licence does seem unnecessary.

Now, considering that, at least in our (English and Welsh) legal system, once a person has served their punishment for whatever crime, they should be treated, where practicable, the same as someone who who has never been convicted of any offence, this is somewhat discriminatory.

I dearly hate this phrase, but it occasionally bears repeating: Welcome to the real world.

It's a contest, not a job offer.

It's a contest, not a job offer.

Meaning; they can make any rule as they like, and you either enter and abide, or not?

Can't think they'll actually bother doing a CRB (criminal records bureau) check on any of the entrants, though, lol.

Fair point, though I'm not saying it is any worse. In fact, I quite agree, the age requirement and necessity for holding a legal road driving licence does seem unnecessary.

In the USA this is based on the fact that they want the contestant to be able to make decisions for themselves. Anyone under 18 would need parent involvement. Just makes more sense, legal wise, to have them be of legal age.

Not sure about other countries.

Meaning; they can make any rule as they like and you either enter and abide or not?

Yup...I'd imagine when you give away prizes and/or benefits for essentially nothing in return, you can be as restrictive and unfair as you please.

Now that I think of it, there's plenty of job offers involving government work or private-sector work involving vehicles that would most certainly restrict troublesome drivers with tickets/demerits from getting an interview.

It probably has a lot to do with the image of video games and real-life driving, and Sony/PD wishes to illustrate that driving games do not translate to bad driving habits on the tarmac.

In the USA this is based on the fact that they want the contestant to be able to make decisions for themselves. Anyone under 18 would need parent involvement. Just makes more sense, legal wise, to have them be of legal age.

Not sure about other countries.

Legal majority? Another fair point. Although in England and Wales you're legally allowed to make babies at 16 and possess a firearm at 14..

Correction, it does not. Shahar Pe'er (an Israeli women's tennis player) was denied a visa to Dubai in early 2009. Unless something changed since 2011 (when I was still aware that there are no diplomatic ties between the two countries), its still the same sadly.

guess i am ill informed on the subject;;

I guess they will not take a guy if he is like 59 years old too.... i think over 30-35 iT's too old too begin a racing career

mathieub33
I guess they will not take a guy if he is like 59 years old too.... i think over 30-35 iT's too old too begin a racing career

How old is Patrick Dempsey. Granted he's got tons of his own money to play with. I'm pretty sure he in his 40s.

On the subject of age - Fangio was 38 when he started in F1, but he had already been competing in lower categories.

Re the UK - some convictions for criminal offences are never classified as spent, for example murder and manslaughter.

Having a GT Academy winner with a criminal record (even if spent under UK law) could bring very bad publicity to Polyphony Digital so I fully understand the reason for the rule,

Blitz24

That makes no sense to me, our religion is not on our passport, or is it in some countries? The only issue is when you have an Israeli stamp but then you can make a new passport if needed, as I understand

Hi there. No amount of words can describe how regrettable that is. Sports and Politics, IMHO, should remain seperated. But, having said that, I find it difficult to accept you pointing out this one case. Do you think it is easier for Arabs to get into Israel? Hell, i am neither Arabian or Muslim and I had a hell of a time getting into Israel ...everyone foreign (accept maybe Western Nationals) is treated as a potential terror suspect or drug mule.

If we are to bring examples of this kind to a place about Gran Turismo, can we at least try to be objective? Society is sick and, as the man said, welcome to the real world. People do not stop hating simply because you are a sports person. It is a symptom of something much greater. Please can we not try to belittle the issue and reduce it to visa granting and such. In fact, better yet, would it be possible to keep these kinds of issues out of GTP altogether?

On the felony thing, please consider the victims (where they exist). If they had a vote, and GTP membership, we would get to hear the other side ...

Sports and Politics, IMHO, should remain seperated.

That would be the ideal thing in a ideal world.
Never happened and never will. As long as sports are not done on international ground, not founded by any political instances and affiliation than maybe.

Re the UK - some convictions for criminal offences are never classified as spent, for example murder and manslaughter.

Having a GT Academy winner with a criminal record (even if spent under UK law) could bring very bad publicity to Polyphony Digital so I fully understand the reason for the rule

Why should it be considered as bad publicity?
Again this is a second judgment against the person, they have already been convicted, if they're not continuing their offending then they should be treated the same as any other good person.

Interesting the whole spent/unspent thing - technically, unless specifically requested, noone is obliged to disclose spent convictions, right?

Why should it be considered as bad publicity?
Again this is a second judgment against the person, they have already been convicted, if they're not continuing their offending then they should be treated the same as any other good person.

Interesting the whole spent/unspent thing - technically, unless specifically requested, noone is obliged to disclose spent convictions, right?

1. someone kills your younger sibling racing his mates on the public highway. A couple of years later he wins this contest, how do you feel about Nissan/PD/Sony promoting and supporting his racing career ?

2. Visas, if you travel you often need a Visa and some countries have strict rules about giving out a visa to people with criminal convictions, eg for drug offences and in particular anyone who has been sentenced to over 12 months in prison. Not declaring this on visa waivers is very serious, and on applied-for visas background checks are done.

There is nothing wrong with this rule.

Back