Convicted of any criminal offences?

• Thread starter Jarnac
  • 39 comments
1. someone kills your younger sibling racing his mates on the public highway. A couple of years later he wins this contest, how do you feel about Nissan/PD/Sony promoting and supporting his racing career?

2. Visas, if you travel you often need a Visa and some countries have strict rules about giving out a visa to people with criminal convictions, eg for drug offences and in particular anyone who has been sentenced to over 12 months in prison. Not declaring this on visa waivers is very serious, and on applied-for visas background checks are done.

There is nothing wrong with this rule.

Not that I want to be drawn into a hypothetical debate discussing extreme examples

1. That'd be an example of a conviction that, in England and Wales, would very likely never be 'spent'.
Nevertheless, if you as the agrieved considered justice not to have be done - which'd be very understadable in the circumstances, that'd be your issue.
2. There is another GT Academy rule regarding ability to obtain visas.

Last edited:
The real answer for the age issue ........

TAXES!!!!!!!!!!

Like a lot of the people who went to nationals/finals last year have said, you end up paying big time for it come April. the Airfare/Transportation/Hotel are given as a prize package, or in the eyes of the government ...INCOME.

As a minor you do not have to file as long as your income is below a certain level. Now acceptance of this prize by someone under 18 would pretty much mean they would have to pay taxes. In addition of course, unless your an emancipated minor you can not make any legal decisions while sub 18.

Oh btw cops will give you reckless driving for nothing. They tried to pull that **** on me, I had some on cut me off in traffic and sit there in front of me going 20 under the speed limit, I tapped my horn a few times, and the guy was trying to say it was tailgating and reckless driving. Tailgating the person that is breaking the law by obstructing traffic ( 15 under is illegal by NC law. )

Needless to say me lawyer got that **** thrown out, but it was an expensive solution.....urgh cops.

The really funny part .... it was in my 03 Odyssey, which is not pink btw :)

Not sure if serious .. pirate beware the double post is not appreciated by admin here - edit your original post in future maybe.

I would have thought prizes are tax free, they would be here in the UK - in most cases, anyway.

The real answer for the age issue ........

TAXES!!!!!!!!!!

Like a lot of the people who went to nationals/finals last year have said, you end up paying big time for it come April. the Airfare/Transportation/Hotel are given as a prize package, or in the eyes of the government ...INCOME.

As a minor you do not have to file as long as your income is below a certain level. Now acceptance of this prize by someone under 18 would pretty much mean they would have to pay taxes. In addition of course, unless your an emancipated minor you can not make any legal decisions while sub 18.
that's what waivers are for. I mean i'd just hate to be doodle.

Not sure if serious .. pirate beware the double post is not appreciated by admin here - edit your original post in future maybe.

I would have thought prizes are tax free, they would be here in the UK - in most cases, anyway.
Not in the good ole USA tax tax and tax again.
If you win $1.00 on lottery ticket you are supposed to pay taxes on it, but you only need to give name if you win over a certain amount. Most places $600.00. I believe Vegas you can win up to $1199.00 before Uncle Sam talks to you.

From Registration form:

Neither the Sponsors nor its affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, prize providers or related companies or event administrators are responsible for any damages, taxes, or expenses that winners may incur as a result of this contest or receipt of a prize.

Official Gran Turismo Academy National Finals Competition Specific Rules state:

PART A: ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. Eligibility
1.2.To enter this Competition, Entrants must:
(e) have not been convicted of any criminal offences

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/academy/2012/rules

Now, considering that, at least in our (English and Welsh) legal system, once a person has served their punishment for whatever crime, they should be treated, where practicable, the same as someone who who has never been convicted of any offence, this is somewhat discriminatory.

Fair point, but on the other hand there are a lot of positions you are not allowed to take up if you have been convicted of any/a specific criminal offense. In Germany you can't be a lawyer if you have been convicted of anything, same goes if you want to be the director of any company after having been convicted of fraud or anything comparable.
I think it's fair enough for Nissan and Sony not to want to sponsor anyone who has a criminal record.

I would imagine that this rule may be there to avoid embarrassment in the event that the eventual winner(s) are later found to be ineligible to enter various foreign countries... according to another rule, entrants must "be capable of obtaining the appropriate visa to enter the country hosting the Race Camp", hence those with criminal convictions may find this problematic.

Interesting the whole spent/unspent thing - technically, unless specifically requested, noone is obliged to disclose spent convictions, right?

Only in the UK.

But, to name just one example, the United States does not recognise the concept of spent convictions. Furthermore, if you have a criminal conviction, you are ineligible for their Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and thus must apply for a full visa in order to be allowed in the country. If you fail to declare a conviction and travel to the US on the VWP, you run the risk of being sent straight back (at your own expense) and also being permanently barred entry to the US.

Last edited:
Back