COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,259 comments
I bet @Warte saw this coming.
Well... He will be indicted (and later convicted) for that.
And for a vulgar attempt to steal presidential gift jewelry from Saudi Arabia.
And for his attempted election overthrown, and Coup. All those processes will run at the Supreme Court (the same that he tried to overthrown, so... yeah it's a matter of time).

Not to mention that he is barred from running at least until 2030, since he used government staffers, the state television channel and the presidential palace in Brasília to tell foreign ambassadors that the country’s electronic voting system was rigged.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that it will be possible to make him pay for the thousands of people that died because of his perverted behavior during Covid... But my brothers in Christ, he will rot in jail.

Last edited:
After multiple bouts of Covid last year, mainly due to having virtually no immune system due to medications I have to take, I finally became eligible for my fourth booster on the 20th of this month. Unfortunately I fell ill on the 19th so I had to cancel my appointment.

Come today, the 25th here, I did another RAT (after being negative on the 20th) due to me totally losing my sense of smell last night, and wouldn't ya know it, positive once again.

I am normally eligible for the antiviral that's available and did have great success with it last time, but of course this only happens on the sixth day this time so I'm no longer eligible for the antiviral due to being outside the allowed 5 day window.

24 hours out... twice! Damn you Covid!

Oh well, at least I'm not as bad (so far 🤞) as the first couple of times I had that nearly put me in hospital... and have an absolute angel of a wife that looks after me.

Last edited:
The FDA has authorized a new drug, Pemgarda, for immunocompromised people.

Also, apparently, double-jointed people have a higher risk of long-COVID, which is certainly a study I would've never thought of. Supposedly, double-jointed people are 30% more likely to have it.

I was also hearing the other day that Moderna are in the late stages of testing a combined flu-COVID vaccine. I expect that there will be a seasonal COVID strain added to the seasonal flu vaccines for the foreseeable future.

I was also hearing the other day that Moderna are in the late stages of testing a combined flu-COVID vaccine. I expect that there will be a seasonal COVID strain added to the seasonal flu vaccines for the foreseeable future.
Yup, it recently passed its Phase III trials earlier this week:

Moderna is set to present its findings soon and publish the results. I'll be curious to see how the data compares to the vaccines administered individually. It should help with vaccine acceptance though since it would not longer be two doctor's appointments or two fees for the vaccines, it'd just be one and done. I suspect health departments will latch on to it.

I can't wait for the conspiracy nuts to start spouting that the reason Moderna is doing this is to secretly vaccinate people against COVID.

Good to see that destroying other countries and making them hate you down the line is still in the US playbook.
What gets me is the Trump administration conceived of this plan that doesn't meaningfully affect China in the grand scheme, even if the ideal goal is achieved, and lives in the Philippines, not even China, are sacrificed for it.

Also wild is that the messaging doesn't differ much from Trump messaging in the US.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems more like anti-Chinese-made vaccines instead of just anti-vaccine. It makes sense from the perspective of wanting to promote your homegrown solution over a foreign one. The Chinese vaccine was also garbage (and probably continues to be garbage) when compared to other vaccines with a lower efficacy.

The US should've gone about it differently though and just straight up told the Philippines that the vaccines they were getting from China were terrible and then offered to send them batches from the states.

A friend I was out with last weekend told me today that he has Covid. It hasn't stopped him coming into work, but he is not coming to our office/lab today, and staying 'isolated' in his own office.

A friend I was out with last weekend told me today that he has Covid. It hasn't stopped him coming into work, but he is not coming to our office/lab today, and staying 'isolated' in his own office.
I had to come in when I had it few months ago whilst working with immunocompetent service users.

Not sure what policy is on wards

My Mum, nephew, auntie and uncle have all tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 today...

My Mum is immunocompromised, 80 years old and has several medical issues, and has never had COVID before, so my sister and I are especially worried about her right now. I was at my Mum's last night and saw her first thing this morning, and she was "full of the cold", so I dug out some COVID tests and unfortunately she tested positive.

I called my sister and she and her son tested themselves, only for my nephew to test very strongly positive, but fortunately my sister is negative (for now). This is the third year in a row that my nephew has tested positive for COVID the week after starting school again.

My auntie and uncle from London who came to visit last week have also tested positive today, and they are both elderly as well. We are hoping that my Dad, 82 and pretty fragile after his cardiac arrest a couple of years ago, doesn't get it too - but he was out with all of the above last week.

-

Update: My Dad has now tested positive too.

Last edited:
My sister has also now tested positive, and I have symptoms of Covid too but I'm still testing negative.

I'm not eligible for free Covid tests any more, so I have to buy mine (at £2 a pop) from a pharmacy. Unfortunately, the only tests I've seen on sale are Flowflex, which are not approved for use in the USA, and I'm beginning to wonder if they actually work properly.

-

edit: I have now tested positive for Covid myself - only the second time I've had it :(

I want to get it out of my system before next Friday, as I'm supposed to be going to Donington for the British GT. It seems someone up there doesn't want me to go...

Last edited:
My sister has also now tested positive, and I have symptoms of Covid too but I'm still testing negative.

I'm not eligible for free Covid tests any more, so I have to buy mine (at £2 a pop) from a pharmacy. Unfortunately, the only tests I've seen on sale are Flowflex, which are not approved for use in the USA, and I'm beginning to wonder if they actually work properly.

-

edit: I have now tested positive for Covid myself - only the second time I've had it :(

I want to get it out of my system before next Friday, as I'm supposed to be going to Donington for the British GT. It seems someone up there doesn't want me to go...
Well, last time I had it I only had symptoms for 5 days, so fingers crossed for you buddy. Hope your whole family has a speedy recovery!

My partner finally tested positive for it yesterday after managing to dodge it for the entire pandemic so far, we thought he was immune 😂

I had a pretty rough night last night - considering I tested negative twice yesterday morning, it's amazing how fast it has turned around.

I got to sleep but woke up again around 2am, and then I could only get short bursts of sleep/rest, and I had spells of feeling chilly and then too hot.

I was also having a crazy dream over and over again, and my mind was racing (still is). The most concerning aspect is that I appear to have slightly cloudy vision, which is very disconcerting, but fortunately pretty mild.

My head is sore and I coughed up some pink phlegm (and plenty of other stuff :ill:) this morning, which is also pretty concerning. I also have noticably louder tinnitus as well.

At 49, I haven't had a vaccine for ages, while the rest of my family have (and quite recently), so I expect that my symptoms may be more severe. It's certainly as bad, if not worse, than I had it last time already.

Last edited:
Day 3 of Covid for me, and I'm testing strongly positive. I wasn't feeling too bad when I went to bed, but woke up around 2.30 am and the coughing started. I got up around 3.15am and went through to watch some TV and play a few games, and stayed up coughing and sneezing until 5.15. I thought that there was no chance of getting back to sleep, but I climbed back into bed and managed to fall asleep quite quickly and slept until 8ish.

Fortunately I've not any worse in terms of dodgy symptoms - the blurred vision is gone, and last time around I had multiple body spasms (mainly my back), and while I've had a couple this time around, it hasn't been nearly as bad. It is, however, like a very heavy cold, and there's clear liquid literally dripping from my nose every few minutes, not to mention the gunk I'm coughing up every few minutes as well. I've got a bottle of Lucozade to replace fluids, but I'm going to have to get some more.

For now, my trip to Donington next Friday is very much in the balance, but I'm hoping that this subsides by then.

-

Update: I'm definitely feeling worse than yesterday :( Could be another rough night tonight. I went for a walk today to get some exercise and fresh air (as I have done for the last few days), but I knew straight away that I wasn't feeling as up to it as yesterday. Stupidly, I battled through it and did a decent walk, but I'm regretting it a bit now, and I'm done for the rest of the day - and it's not even 3pm yet.

The only plus side is that my family are all OK, which given their circumstances and underlying health issues is nothing short of amazing, but very, very welcome - not least since I'm effectively out of commission.

Last edited:
Day 4 - had a bit of a nightmare yesterday. I went for a walk and felt pretty bad by the time I got home. Shortly after, I was feverish and shaking all over, and coughing constantly. I ended up lying on my couch for the rest of the day (ca. 7 hours) and trying desperately to control the cough - my stomach muscles are actually sore from coughing so much, and this morning is not much better.

Fortunately the evening was a bit better - however I was basically eating throat lozenges and drinking water or Lucozade constantly, and needing to pee approx. every 15-20 minutes, so not exactly restful. About 7pm (two hours until my next dose of paracetamol), I took a cool shower and it did feel like it helped, and I stayed until 9pm without a further coughing fit. I went to bed at 9.30pm and got to sleep after about an hour, so that was a real bonus.

I was hoping I'd feel a bit better this morning, but for some reason getting out of bed seems to turbocharge the symptoms, and so this morning is a bit rough. I'm going to ask a couple of friends to do some shopping for me today rather than risk a repeat of what happened yesterday.

One bit of good news - my former boss tested negative today, and he was positive for 10 days. If I can emulate that, there's still a chance I can go to Donington next Friday.

-

Update: Day 4 - 5pm

At least it has been a better day today so far, despite testing very strongly positive this morning (I expected Day 3/4/5 to be the peak) and my nose and throat are still burning a bit. However I've largely been successful in suppressing this damn cough, which is good because my body is aching from coughing and it is very uncomfortable. I'm throwing everything at it, with a strictly observed schedule for medications and no alcohol!

-

Update: Day 4 - 8pm

Aaaaand that's my sense of taste and smell mostly gone.

Last edited:
Day 6 update: Feeling mildly better and the T line on my LFT test was ever so slightly fainter today, so positive signs at least.

-

One thing occurred to me today - of all the places to catch COVID, I've only ever had it twice and the first time I caught it at work, and the second in the very place that was my sanctuary during the original pandemic, my Mum's house... it's a brutal irony that I should catch it there (and end up getting sick from it) of all places.

The chances are that my parents and sister all caught it at home as well - my Dad definitely did, and my Mum and sister most likely caught it from my nephew who would have picked it up upon returning to school.

I suppose it shows just how unlikely it is to catch COVID in public spaces, since none of us have ever caught it from being in a pub, restaurant, public transport etc., and that it is most likely spending protracted lengths of time indoors close to (and talking with) an infected person that is most likely to cause transmission...

I suppose it shows just how unlikely it is to catch COVID in public spaces, since none of us have ever caught it from being in a pub, restaurant, public transport etc.
My first bout of actual-COVID corresponded with my youngest child being stuffed onto a school bus for a trip with one kid who had already tested positive. She got it, missed her birthday more-or-less, then we all got it.

Don't recall what prompted the second one offhand, but I did get two lots of the not-COVID cold after plane journeys...

Day7 update - still have cold-like symptoms, but I unexpectedly tested only faintly positive this morning - a big decrease in the intensity of the T line compared to yesterday, and similar to Day 1. With any luck, I may even test negative tomorrow 🤞 Of course, I'm still feeling like crap and expect my recovery to take several days, but I was genuinely surprised by the drop in the signal on the LFT today, even though I realise that they are not super-accurate quantitative measures of infection.

Day 8 - and I tested negative this morning! 🥳 Given my two previous tests, I'm pretty confident it's a genuine negative result as well.

I still feel like crap though - not nearly as bad as last week, but a persistent cough, stuffed nose and I start sweating after even light exercise, so although I may be clear of the virus, I reckon I still have COVID, but hopefully it is on it's way out.

My Mum also tested negative yesterday too, and the rest of my family seem to be well over it.

Last edited:
I tested myself last night as I had the mother and father of all headaches and was negative. Tested this morning before work and I'm positive. Headache still here, sleeping a lot.
Sorry to hear that. Headache was an early symptom for me both times I've had Covid, but fortunately it didn't last for too long. Hope you get over it quickly.
Hope you make Donington @Touring Mars
Thanks mate, so do I! I would not go if I was still testing positive, but it looks like I should be in the clear for that. That said, I'm barely managing to walk to the shops and back without breaking into a sweat, so it might be quite a tough couple of days, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Back