Cutting the corner on deep forest raceway?

I'm also loving the input here. I can see this is a "hot button" for some. Thanks for the great commentary, I'm still gonna cut, but i will clarify cutting before starting an online race, cheers.

I try not to, but if I do, only the left outermost side of the car cuts through it. I drive my lotus elise here quite a bit, but since the elise is such a small car, it has no problem squeezing through in a way that allows me to take a straight line through the turn

I dont agree at all with you but really not at all.

For me cutting the grass or the concrete is the same things, you're out of tracks you're out of tracks, beeing concrete, grass, sand, gravel or anything that could be. I dont see the difference if it's concrete or not. And I dont see the difference with Monza, if you cut a corner, you're gaining time, so you're cheating dot. The rest is just argument to make you feel good.

:lol: What part of I find it annoying didn't you understand?
I'm not making an argument to "feel good". :lol: :rolleyes:

I don't feel good or bad about any of this. haha.
I find it a bit annoying that it's not more clearly defined in the track... by the in-game penalty system, for example.

But cheating is defined as gaining an unfair advantage over another racer... If everyone can do it, it's not cheating then... Logic.

I'm saying as a race host, steward, and organizer, I find it too much trouble to police the concrete, when so many people DO see it as different than grass, gravel, or speed bumps.

When you organize, advertise, promote, host, and steward a bunch of races, and have to deal with 20 different opinions on the concrete, and 12 cars trying to bust their way through that passage on lap #1... then you get to say what's cheating & what's not. :lol: :rolleyes:

I wouldn't ever tell someone else they should allow it.
And if it was NOT allowed in a race I was in, I wouldn't do it.

AND, I wouldn't have any feeling about it one way or another.

I'm also loving the input here. I can see this is a "hot button" for some. Thanks for the great commentary, I'm still gonna cut, but i will clarify cutting before starting an online race, cheers.

HOT BUTTON. :D
Yeah, it's interesting how this riles so many people up. :)
👍 Good idea to clarify before a race. Usually, in my experience, the kind of considerate sporting people I have raced with ask BEFORE the race whether or not the concrete is okay or not okay.

I think most of us are willing to adhere to whatever fair rules will apply to everyone in a race.
The people I know who want to cut the concrete, are not looking to do it to gain an unfair advantage over their fellow racers. They only want to do it if everyone is ALLOWED to do it.
That's not cheating. It's agreeing to a rule up front. 👍

I don't understand how some can say what's okay and what's not okay to do? Rules vary from host to host. If the host is okay with corner cutting or whatever else, then I don't see problem. People will and should play how they want if the host doesn't object to it.

I don't understand how some can say what's okay and what's not okay to do? Rules vary from host to host. If the host is okay with corner cutting or whatever else, then I don't see problem. People will and should play how they want if the host doesn't object to it.

That's what most people seem to be saying, although there is also a bit of debate over just whether or not you feel that cut should be considered cheating, and thus whether you would allow it if you were hosting a race. And maybe whether it's worth bothering to try to get people to comply.

I use this track for testing a lot. Deep Forest is a fast corner track. I've have found that if you can get a good set-up for this track, you can use it on other fast corner tracks, ie: suzuka, spa, laguna seca, ect.

It definitely has a flow and if you get out of the flow, or off the racing line you will be slow. smoothness is the key.

Start with a low PP good handling car (lotus evora, s2000, NSX) and build from there.

Mmm! I haven't found a flow to it at all. The fast section before the start/finish straight is OK for me but the section after the first corner, (Which is plain slow for me, I think it must be adverse camber.) to the rock face on the 'straight' by the lake has me beaten at the moment. I can't get any car to handle it well. The times I've won a race there have seen me taking all kinds of corrective actions through that section. I tried running a decent car, an Alfa Competione, which wins me lots of money at 500pp in the Online Challenges, and it was all over the road. I'll try a decent sports car next. The Alfa is good at Spa, Leguna Seca and Suzuka, but hopeless at Deep Forest.

Oh yes, I agree with that.
Dirty NASCAR for example. I don't allow dirty driving in the organized races I host. But that doesn't mean I'm judging people who play racing Dirty NASCAR. As far as I'm concerned, if a race is LABELED "Dirty NASCAR"... hey, 👍 Go for it if it's entertaining you!!

If something's agreed to up front and are applied to all involved... I don't call that cheating.

And maybe whether it's worth bothering to try to get people to comply.

Exactly.
I see the concrete @ Deep Forest as a "pick your battles" sort of gray area.
The speed bumps at Monza are a pet peeve of mine, so I'll take the time to police that. Grass mowing is pretty universally considered a no-no.
The concrete at Deep Forest, I just don't have any strong feeling about, other than the path of least resistance in stewardship.

The game doesn't penalise you for cutting so its ok in my eyes.

Exactly... any paved area outside the rumble strips is fair game, except for Fuji but that outside pavement has a grass area before you get to it. :)

Back