Decal Identification Thread

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 901 comments
Cheers guys,
this was the reason i folded on doing this car... such a unique car design
I'm on the verge of folding too. I was hoping to find the photos and autotrace like I did with the Slint photo for the music LEC. Having spent ages trawling photo archives, this was one last desperate reach out... and woo-hoo, thank you for the photos @Gingerale and suggestion @MatskiMonk, that's pretty impressive AI, if you or anyone else wants to do this one feel free :) Getting to grips with AI tools is something I need to do. Which one do you use?

It was the Puma Racing team from 2002, they had it on an evo7 and an evo8. Nothing on the Puma.com site on waybackmachine, but Puma's big players were Eusebio, Pele, Cruyff and Marradona, of those the Netherlands and Portugal had the closest strips. But then I found Benfica had a similar strip, even Brasil had dark top white shorts in '58, and the search began to feel too daunting without a few clues :) I think the side image has a player superimposed between wheel arch and numberboard, and that is the one which is proving really difficult to find a similar pose; maybe Eusebio after he scored a penalty against Korea, but no photos from the right angle. As indistinct as the available hood/trunk photos are, I think it's Cruyff.

@MatskiMonk, that's pretty impressive AI, if you or anyone else wants to do this one feel free :) Getting to grips with AI tools is something I need to do. Which one do you use?
That was just with Craiyon free. I uploaded this image

1323.jpg

... and said it was a Soccer player running.

Paid or subscribed AI tools might be more accurate, but I don't currently have access to any.

I have to say, since the image itself on the car is 'soft' or blurry, it's going to be really hard to get right even if you had the original photo. If it were me I'd just be trawling for players in similar poses, make a composite image that was about right, make it black & white, auto-contrast the whole lot, give it the right colour grading for the car and then worry about how to convert that to sensible decals.

Back