Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,202 comments
Just had my last appointment with my psychologist and she basically admitted, in the most respectful manner possible, that she can't help me, she literally said its my personality and not something that can be fixed.
I've found that kind of unprofessional but shes at least correct with one thing - she can't help me even a bit, a dozen appointments later I feel worse and not better, not even a little bit.

So at least now I can say I gave this whole ''Help'' thing a try.

Just had my last appointment with my psychologist and she basically admitted, in the most respectful manner possible, that she can't help me, she literally said its my personality and not something that can be fixed.
I've found that kind of unprofessional but shes at least correct with one thing - she can't help me even a bit, a dozen appointments later I feel worse and not better, not even a little bit.

Well, don't give up. Life is never easy nor fair. I always say so many things bring us down, and not enough things keep us up. Remain strong and stay positive. Keep good faith also. You WILL get through these rough times.

One of my cousins taught me some yoga and meditation exercises to help relax my soul and mind. I also am watching some people that do the same thing so it help my depression and mood. What techniques are you guys using everyday to help you and your families get through stress and daily life situations?

Last edited:
I was getting better at the start of this year but slowly declining again with a few spikes of feeling better here and there.

Been going to the gym since February, started going less and less because it's too crowded for me and I ended up getting anxious and irritated.

My overthinking went overboard and it's taking a toll on me too. I couldn't trust people to talk about my issues because I just feel like other people always have it worse than me and I think I'm just weak. I don't know how worse it's going to get by the end of the year

The decent news is that I'm don't drink much anymore.

Been having more bouts of depression lately—usually only a day or two, but there's a deep dissatisfaction with my life that is not going to go away until things start looking up for me. Things are stable but stability only gets you so far.

Not all psychologists are good. I would look for someone else if at all possible. I've had a mix of bad and good, and while the bad can be frustrating and make you doubt yourself, finding someone who can reassure you that you're not "unfixable" can be such a relief. I bet most psychologists would tell you that it was pretty strange for her to say that.

I remember the worst shrink I had. He already made me feel pretty uncomfortable, and when I showed up a few minutes late, he asked me something I can't remember, and when I didn't know how to answer, he let me sit in silence for the whole session without any questioning or trying to get on track. He basically watched me fall into deeper depression in real time and didn't try to stop it. I don't know what he expected me to do. I don't have a plan for a session. He's the psychologist.

I emailed him shortly after saying it didn't feel like a good fit and moved on. The next one I found was much better.

As dylan said, they're not all born equal. Please do yourself the favour of trying someone else. A different approach to therapy (and your struggles) on their part could go a long way.

What techniques are you guys using everyday to help you and your families get through stress and daily life situations?
Consuming significant amounts of alcohol 👍

Perhaps you're internalising your struggles to the degree that it's become part of your personality, and she's identified that you're resisting letting that go because your own coping mechanisms have become part of you and your life.

What techniques are you guys using everyday to help you and your families get through stress and daily life situations?
I don't get to do it as often as I'd like, and I don't have a driveway or anything to work on, but I like doing car projects. Most recently I stripped the interior on my other half's 20-year-old Toyota Yaris and filled it with sound insulation.
My form of therapy is basically trying to up-cycle old cars so they get a new lease of life (save the planet, drive an old s***box). Rare I get to do that, though.

Perhaps you're internalising your struggles to the degree that it's become part of your personality, and she's identified that you're resisting letting that go because your own coping mechanisms have become part of you and your life.
That's what I suspect since she also mentioned that my depression is extremely deeply rooted into my mind.
Though I genuinely and honestly want to get out of that, that's why I started therapy in the first place. Its a depression, its not my normal state no matter how long this has been plaguing me and no matter what she said.

Guess I'll have to try on my own then.

BTW she called me and said she can still squeeze in some extra appointments into her busy schedule if I want to.

Last edited:
That's what I suspect since she also mentioned that my depression is extremely deeply rooted into my mind.
Though I genuinely and honestly want to get out of that, that's why I started therapy in the first place. Its a depression, its not my normal state no matter how long this has been plaguing me and no matter what she said.
I get that, but it's a barrier I think a lot of people have to get past. "You don't want to get better" is a terrible diagnosis for a therapist to give a patient, but I'm going to guess it happens a lot, and in fairness, what you're doing and saying externally might not be the same thing as your internal monologue - you don't have that perspective. Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't have much respect for her, and I get the vibe it's not a scenario you enjoy - and if she's picking that up as resistance in your body language, speech patterns/emphasis, or micro expressions, it could be an obstacle. You might do better with someone else, I think starting therapy is the hard part, and you've done that already, be a shame to lose that momentum.

I get that, but it's a barrier I think a lot of people have to get past. "You don't want to get better" is a terrible diagnosis for a therapist to give a patient, but I'm going to guess it happens a lot, and in fairness, what you're doing and saying externally might not be the same thing as your internal monologue - you don't have that perspective. Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't have much respect for her, and I get the vibe it's not a scenario you enjoy - and if she's picking that up as resistance in your body language, speech patterns/emphasis, or micro expressions, it could be an obstacle. You might do better with someone else, I think starting therapy is the hard part, and you've done that already, be a shame to lose that momentum.
I actually have a lot of respect for her since she is one of the most intelligent people I've had the pleasure of knowing and she was pretty much the only person genuinely interested in trying to help me get better.
I enjoyed talking with her, we laughed a lot and she tried to implement her ideas but they simply did not result in any relief, in fact things only got worse.

My problem is that I'm extremely convinced that my ideas and my view of the world is correct, I back it up with logics and its just a bastion that refuses to fall. No amount of trying results in even cracks in the walls, its exceptionally frustrating and I hate myself for it.

As for continuing therapy, that's really hard. Most therapists here don't even accept new patients because they are fully booked for 1 year plus. I'm also working 9-6 6 days a week so no idea how I could incorporate some kind of therapy in my life.

Last edited:
I actually have a lot of respect for her since she is one of the most intelligent people I've had the pleasure of knowing and she was pretty much the only person genuinely interested in trying to help me get better.
I enjoyed talking with her, we laughed a lot and she tried to implement her ideas but they simply did not result in any relief, in fact things only got worse.

My problem is that I'm extremely convinced that my ideas and my view of the world is correct, I back it up with logics and its just a bastion that refuses to fall. No amount of trying results in even cracks in the walls, its exceptionally frustrating and I hate myself for it.

As for continuing therapy, that's really hard. Most therapists here don't even accept new patients because they are fully booked for 1 year plus. I'm also working 9-6 6 days a week so no idea how I could incorporate some kind of therapy in my life.
If you don't mind having sessions in English, try online ones at a more convenient time.

Back