Designing an Entertainment Center

• Thread starter TB
  • 54 comments
That looks great man, is that chimney electric, gas or wood?
Gas. No messy wood soot and actually puts out heat, unlike electric. We bought it from a Doctor my wife works with. He had it installed in his house that he had moved to be a lake cabin. He took it out because he doesn't have natural gas at the lake, so we bought a 2 year old, $2000 fireplace for $500. :D:tup:

Great Price!
My my mom and dad always got great prices for people we use to work as well :)

you saved 1500$$$ that is huge, and it looks really great, Where is the TV going? on top of the fireplace? Other wall?

you saved 1500$$$ that is huge, and it looks really great, Where is the TV going? on top of the fireplace? Other wall?
Thanks. :)

The plan for the room has changed a bit from when I did this in AutoCAD, but you'll get the point.

newlivingroomim1.png

Obviously the fireplace no longer has a stepped in mantle, but other than that, nothing of note is different. Seven foot tall cabinets on both sides of the fireplace with two 18" wide X 21" deep cabinets flank the TV and three 21" X 21" X 21" (approximately - I'm told they don't come that short, but that's minor as long as they aren't a lot higher than that) cabinets for under the TV for the PS3, TiVo, receiver, DVD player, VCR, etc.

Finished fireplace:

fireplaceov1.jpg

Now all I need to do is build a mantle and get the family in for a picture to put on it. :D

Looks great man, did you install the tile/stone work your self of you got some guys to do it? If so you could of call me, my dad and my cuzin, we could do it for cheap ;) haha

If you need advice to fill out the cabinets with DVDs ask my brother, we already have over 300 dvds and all solid titles.
Can't wait for finished pics...

So do you have a nice HDTV? Or planning to buy a new one? Any Surround Sound?

Looks great man, did you install the tile/stone work your self of you got some guys to do it? If so you could of call me, my dad and my cuzin, we could do it for cheap ;) haha
I very much would have liked to have done it, but for me, most everything comes down to time. My wife works weekend nights so I have a 2 and 4 year old to watch. I barely have enough time for meals and mowing the lawn any less working on a fireplace. :lol:

When they're older, though...
If you need advice to fill out the cabinets with DVDs ask my brother, we already have over 300 dvds and all solid titles.
I have a pretty good start in the DVD/Blu-Ray department. I'm always looking for more, naturally.
Can't wait for finished pics...
You and me both. :D
So do you have a nice HDTV? Or planning to buy a new one? Any Surround Sound?
My current TV is this one, however, once the cabinets are in and everything is finished, I'm looking to get either it's big brother or it's new big brother but with as fast as things change, I'm not set on anthing right now. Besides, TV's aren't real high on my list as I have too many other things to get done before I can go buy it anyway.

As for surround, I have a few year old Sony STR-DE895. It's currently set up as a 3/0.0 surround (I only have the left, right and center hooked up), but once the cabinets are all set up and the speaker wire run neatly (you can just see the 4 runs of 16ga wire on the left side of the fireplace), it will return to it's intended 3/3.1 surround setup.

The new big brother looks good, but you already have a nice tv. make sure you make room for a 50-55 inch tv there ;)

I'm leaving work early to meet with a custom cabinet maker. There was a home show a few weekends ago where I talked to him and gave him a sketch of what I'm looking for. He'll be stopping in to actually see it and get dimensions. Fingers crossed he gives me a good number. Even better would be if a different cabinet company I talked to gave me that $10,000 cabinet makeover I signed up for!

10,000? wow.. bit expensive. But I bet it's going to look very beautiful
Can't wait to see results.

TB
Holy crap! It's been over 2 years already? Wow.
And now we're up to three years...

Well, good news and bad news on the cabinets. Bad news - a cabinet company did indeed stop over and gave me a price, at which point both my wife and I did spit takes at the estimate. Good news, a coworker just bought a couple thousand dollars worth of wood working tools and agreed to do the work for a fraction of the price!

Now that it's warm enough for him to start working on them, it's up to me to get the layout and dimensions exactly the way I want them so he can start construction. Basically, I going to give him a cut list and different views and he'll do the rest.

The rendering kind of sucks in AutoCAD for large, flat surfaces, but you get the idea:

Doors on...

cabinet.png

... doors off, Daniel-san.
cabinet2.png

Certainly nothing special in and of itself, but considering that it's still going to cover two full walls, it should look pretty good when we're done. I haven't decided what I'm going to use, but I'd like some kind of light (ropelight?) on top of the cabinets. It's going to take a lot of cutting and fitting, but we're going to notch the face frames to follow the sides of the fireplace. I might come to regret that decision. Stay tuned for the train wreck.

Provided the dimensions work out, the large opening on the bottom, right hand corner is for a fridge for my sons meds and the smaller space next to it is for his masks and meds that don't need to be kept cold. Above those will probably be a drawer, but I have to measure it all out and see how everything plugs in.

As always, comments, criticism and suggestions are welcomed. :)

Light on the top of the cabinets? Rope light looks a bit tacky. Maybe some inversed track lighting?

Glad you found a friend that'll do the work for a better price though.

Light on the top of the cabinets? Rope light looks a bit tacky. Maybe some inversed track lighting?
The catch is that I don't want to see the fixture and track, even low profile track, would stick up too much, hence the ropelight. Also, I don't want there to be a ton of light, just a glow, so 32 watt T8 fluorescent strips are out. The next option after that would be fiber, but I'd really rather not spend that much on it. Other options that I might consider, depending on how the ropelight does, would be puck lights, like what you put under the cabinets for counter top task lighting.

Looks like it might be time to corner a lighting rep next time they are in the office (I know one is coming in on Tuesday). Maybe I can score some free stuff. :mischievous:

I have 4 25-watt tubular appliance bulbs on top of my entertainment center that come on when the receiver is turned on, just plugged them into the switched AC outlet. The frosted glass works better than clear for a nice even light. They are back far enough to be unseen from the room, but they put a nice glow onto the wall and ceiling. I could put a dimmer on them if I wanted, since they're plain incandescents, but I haven't needed to. It's just the right amount of light to make the room not pitch black other than the TV, yet not enough to overpower the TV for viewing.

Thanks for that, wfooshee. 👍

I ran a crude light calc based off of a 28 watt T5 micro strip (they are the little blue boxes on top of the tall boxes next to the tallest box :P) and it came out to an average of around 12 footcandles, which should be decent, but I'll have to see how that looks at home before I ask the lighting rep to find two of them for me.

image1xof.png

Also (and keep in mind that I could go completely off the deep end and have photocells, timers, IR relay so I can control it with my Harmony, etc.) I thought about running the lights off of my receiver, but it's used on an off throughout the day by my wife and kids and I really don't need the lights on then so I think I'm just going to go with a nice, simple switch. :lol:

Yeah, I specifically used the receiver because when viewing is when I wanted the lights on.

I'm getting closer, boys and girls!

And with that comes questions. The type of which I hope you can help me with. Please reference the following image as there is no way I could describe it in less time than it took me to draw it.

entertainmentcenterwall.png

Do you think that the fans in question (chosen mainly for the price and quietness) will draw enough air through the speaker cloth, through the 2" holes, into the stud cavity of the wall behind and out the vent at the top?

In conjunction with the fans, what would be my best bet for supplying them power? The power supply from my old PC? A hacked universal power adapter? Something completely different? My only requirement is it needs to plug into the switched receptacle on my receiver.

And just because I can, an iso view of the cabinets for anyone interested.

That will be great. I love the vent and installed fan design. Can't wait to see the finished, functioning product. 👍

Worst procrastinator ever, blah, blah, blah. :lol:

That disclaimer out of the way, picture:

cabinetsu.jpg

I've resisted posting an update because I was waiting until it was all finished, but, hey. I'm weak.

This morning I installed the speaker cloth into frames and mounted the frames to the doors and installed the handles. The glass is ordered and should be ready within the week. :D

The aforementioned fans from post #46 are in and appear to be working as advertised but I'm going to shift them around a bit to provide more ventilation for the PS3 and less for the DVD player, Wii and Super Nintendo.

So very, very close to being done!

Wow. Looks great 👍
I may have missed it skimming through, but are will those be open shelves to the left of the TV when you're done, or are you closing that off with another cabinet door?

Thanks, Boundary Layer. :)👍

I'm currently designing the cabinet in question so it can be built by a co-worker (which is actually the process we've used for the entire thing). The plan is to have it be a tall, full-extension slideout for DVD, Blu-ray, game and, yes, VHS storage. In rough-planning, it looks like I will be able to fit around 200 DVD sized cases in there - 4 shelves high on both sides and around 25 deep. The difficult part is that the movies alone will be about 80lbs. plus the wood structure and most full extension slides are good for 100lbs or the heavy duty slides are too tall for my liking. Thankfully, I think I finally found one that should work.

Sorry for the mini novel. As you can probably tell, I've been mulling it over quite a lot lately...

On the other side of the fireplace I still need to scribe the faceframe to match the contour of the stone, finish the rest of the straight pieces of the faceframe, fish and wire up a new receptacle for my son's Vest, another full extension slide for said Vest, possibly 8 but likely 9 more doors, crown molding... Never ends. :lol:

Ah, nice. So if I'm picturing it correctly, then the outward end of the 'media pantry' would be finished to match the door on the opposing side.

I just looked quickly on McMaster-Carr and for slides with travel and load rating comparable to what you're talking about they're asking at least $60/pair. Not exactly giving them away... Looks like you found a good deal.

TB
Thanks, Boundary Layer. :)👍

--snip--

Never ends. :lol:

You're speaking from experience, but I hope you're wrong. :D I've been doing some minor cosmetic updates on the main floor of my house (paint, refinishing floors & cabinets, updating hardware, etc) for just the past 2 months and I'm already getting fed up with living in a deconstructed mess. Just want it done. :lol:

Ah, nice. So if I'm picturing it correctly, then the outward end of the 'media pantry' would be finished to match the door on the opposing side.
Correct. The door is already made and was intended to be just that - a door. Then I had the epiphany of the slide out and my wife, oddly enough, said she really liked the idea. To put that into perspective, I've hardly had any input from her the entire time. For her to finally have something to say besides "Do whatever you like" or "I trust you" (dangerous words, eh? :mischievous:) this is something that has to happen.
they're asking at least $60/pair.
The other place I was looking was either $20/pair (so I would need 2 sets and nothing could possibly go wrong trying to align 4 drawer slides on one drawer, right?!?) or 300lb capacity for $120. Then I came across the other ones. I even called them today to make sure the price was for a pair and not each. :lol:
I've been doing some minor cosmetic updates on the main floor of my house (paint, refinishing floors & cabinets, updating hardware, etc) for just the past 2 months and I'm already getting fed up with living in a deconstructed mess. Just want it done. :lol:
Our basement has been in various stages of disarray for entirely too long, too. Chunks of the wall torn out for new electrical wiring, concealed speaker wiring, gas line, etc. The old entertainment center was moved away from the wall so we could install the cabinets in the picture, then it had to finally go, blah, blah. Bit if a logistics nightmare. I'm still surprised my wife has been as patient as she has.

Good luck with the rest of your upgrades. Theoretically, how much do you have left?

Now realistically how much do you have left? :lol:

Theoretically... there are 4 more rooms untouched on this floor.
Realistically... I'm afraid to estimate the man-hours. :lol:

I'd call our progress slow.

Last edited:
The final setup looks amazing! Sorry I am just now getting to this thread. You must have finished it during my 2 year sabbatical. :D 👍 Nicely done!

Thanks, Pako. :D

I've got finished pictures from last Christmas (no Wham!, thanks :lol:) that I never posted. I'll hunt them down and show off the finished product. :)

Edit: The pics, as promised.

Last edited:
Back