DFP arriving tomorrow, clutch question...

• Thread starter amp88
  • 14 comments
Ok, I've finally taken the financial leap (hey, I'm a student ;) ) and bought the DFP (74.14 on eBuyer including 2 day delivery, 64 quid excluding delivery here ). It should be here tomorrow (hopefully) and I've got a question already. I intend to use it more for LFS than GT4 and would like to take advantage of the clutch availability in LFS. I'd like to incorporate a clutch in to the system and would appreciate some help/advice on this subject a lot :)

From what I've read (during my research), I need to buy either another set of pedals and directly connect those to the PC or buy another wheel+pedals entirely and connect those, just using one of the pedals as the clutch. Obviously the second situation is something I'm not prepared to do (financially and mentally), so it looks like buying another set of pedals is what I'd be willing to do.

Firstly, is it as easy as this (i.e. just buy a cheap set of pedals, connect them up, install the software and there I've got my clutch), or is there a terrible amount of faffing about with connections/hardware etc?

Secondly, is what I've said above correct? If not, where has it all gone wrong?

I think that's about it...

I've done some searching and didn't find a guide really (though I have seen SimRaceDriver's posts on frex hardware (good posts but too expensive for my tastes), so if there's already the required information available I'd greatly appreciate a link :)

Cheers

i think you pretty much got it. all youll need is one pedal for the clutch. connect the dfp and your new clutch pedal and calibrate them setting it up however youd like and voila you got yourself a clutch pedal.

I've got a pedal clutch working on the DFP. I use it mainly with TOCA2 (the best simulator on PS2 IMO). I used a spare pedal base and wired the clutch to the L2 button on the wheel. It's not perfect because it's not analog. It act as a button so it's either on or off but it still work great in the game. In TOCA, you actually get better lap times using it if you manage not to damage your transmission by missing a shift.

Here's a picture of my rig with the clutch. I've prepared detailed instructions on how to get it done. If you're interested, send me a PM, make sure you include an email address, because i don't think I can send pictures in a PM.

The other thing I had to do (not shown in this picture) was to add a peice of plexiglass to the throtle in order to make it wider for proper heal-toe (blip). That too works great in TOCA.

Cheers.

PICT3043.jpg

Wow, that looks really nice. do you have to press the clutch in all the time to shift, or can you bypass the clutch?

Hmmm...the clutch not being analogue is a big problem. I'd like to use it in LFS, so clutch control would be a big problem with a digital clutch...

I also don't like the idea of having to re-wire things (voiding warranty).

Thanks for the offer though... :)

Raghavan
Wow, that looks really nice. do you have to press the clutch in all the time to shift, or can you bypass the clutch?

Like a real clutch you DO have to press it for every gear shift. If you dont, you damage your transmission and all subsequent mis-shift slow you down. If you don't want to use it, you have to select automatic or manual transmission (as oposed to "manual with clutch") in the setting menus.

Unfortunately, there is just no way to get an analog clutch with the DFP because the two axis are already in use (gaz and brake) and there are no pressure sensitive button on the wheel. So the guys running a manual clutch (using the L2 button for example) are also getting a digital clutch.

amp88
Hmmm...the clutch not being analogue is a big problem. I'd like to use it in LFS, so clutch control would be a big problem with a digital clutch...

I also don't like the idea of having to re-wire things (voiding warranty).

Thanks for the offer though... :)

Yes, I'm not crazy about opening up a wheel and wiring stuff. I only did it because I have a spare wheel and pedal combo or else I would tried another solution.

Guys looking for a good manual clutch may want to consider getting this:

dclutch_webad_1205.jpg

Philsterspeed
I've got a pedal clutch working on the DFP. I use it mainly with TOCA2 (the best simulator on PS2 IMO). I used a spare pedal base and wired the clutch to the L2 button on the wheel. It's not perfect because it's not analog. It act as a button so it's either on or off but it still work great in the game. In TOCA, you actually get better lap times using it if you manage not to damage your transmission by missing a shift.

Here's a picture of my rig with the clutch. I've prepared detailed instructions on how to get it done. If you're interested, send me a PM, make sure you include an email address, because i don't think I can send pictures in a PM.

The other thing I had to do (not shown in this picture) was to add a peice of plexiglass to the throtle in order to make it wider for proper heal-toe (blip). That too works great in TOCA.

Cheers.

PICT3043.jpg

I just imagine how much people you can easily beat with it. In TOCA 2, you can lower the length of the braking with the clutch by shifting down really fast with the clutch.(You know, i'm the guy who play with the clutch with the controller, lol).

Philsterspeed
Like a real clutch you DO have to press it for every gear shift. If you dont, you damage your transmission and all subsequent mis-shift slow you down. If you don't want to use it, you have to select automatic or manual transmission (as oposed to "manual with clutch") in the setting menus.

Unfortunately, there is just no way to get an analog clutch with the DFP because the two axis are already in use (gaz and brake) and there are no pressure sensitive button on the wheel. So the guys running a manual clutch (using the L2 button for example) are also getting a digital clutch.
I mean in GT4.

one could wire thier clutch pedal to be recognized as an axis on the DS2 controller, and use the connector for that to plug it into the ps2

so you'd just use the one axis, but should get the job done if its customizeable as such...

for the pc, you'd either have to make a seperate USB adapter, or use one of the readily available, and cheap (10 bux at radio shack) DS2 to USB adapters

thats how i'd approach it anyway....but since atm i'm mainly playing GT4, i have no need for a clutch

that said i'll soon be diving into GTL and probably rigging up a clutch :dopey:

Philsterspeed
Yes, I'm not crazy about opening up a wheel and wiring stuff. I only did it because I have a spare wheel and pedal combo or else I would tried another solution.

Guys looking for a good manual clutch may want to consider getting this:

dclutch_webad_1205.jpg

How am i suppose to push that with my foot...? lol

AlarmedBread
one could wire thier clutch pedal to be recognized as an axis on the DS2 controller, and use the connector for that to plug it into the ps2

so you'd just use the one axis, but should get the job done if its customizeable as such...

for the pc, you'd either have to make a seperate USB adapter, or use one of the readily available, and cheap (10 bux at radio shack) DS2 to USB adapters

thats how i'd approach it anyway....but since atm i'm mainly playing GT4, i have no need for a clutch

that said i'll soon be diving into GTL and probably rigging up a clutch :dopey:

I dont think that would work seeing as if you select the wheel, the controller axis wont work OR they will already be used by gas and brake or left n right, and reconfiging it to that button should mess up the gas/brake or steering...theoretically...now if anyone does this and it works...i am going to need pictures.

Do you have $30 extra?

Get a Madcatz Microcon MC2 Wheel.

It's less expensive than the normal Madcatz wheel, but the pedal base is the same size.

I'll post a picture of my rig when I get my computer back up and running, but the gas on the MC2 is the same size as the brake on the DFP, and I have noticed my driving in EPR improve alot from focusing on getting my shifts down smooth with clutch and slapstick.

With there was a way to get a full 6 position shifter though.

Oh, and there was no wiring to do at all, just plugged it up, braced the MC2 pedal set up so the clutch and DFP brake are the same height and then program Gas to the left paddle shifter manually when I start it up.

wont work on the PS2 but you mentioned LFS and ive been think'n about this for a while ... cause i am in a verey limited budget and Frex is wayyyyy out of my reach ....while play'n LFS with a keyboard and mouse lol ..... no DFP yet .....

im work'n on use'n my old Saitek X45 HOTAS flight stick to make a clutch and H shifter .... granted it would take some mods to the stick but in testing the throttle worked verey good as a clutch so all i need to do is make a pedal for it and a spring setup so it will be tensioned ... will probably only work in a cockpit .... and with the 8 buttons 4 Hats 2 rotarys and 6 Shift modes it would add plenty of options for a custom cockpit like a dash with functional nitro switch and such .... or even an E-brake with one of the rotarys or the actual joystick

only problem i can see is im not sure if LFS or any game would support both the X45 and the DFP at the same time ... i know my Flight sims do but thats a completely different story .... ill find our soon as i get my DFP .... soon i hope :)

just tested it with 2 joytsicks hooked up lol ...worked fine in LFS ... had only 8 Axis with just the X45 hooked up and 13 Axis with both hooked up so it should work :)

Back