DiRT Rally Coming to PlayStation VR

Powering up my PSVR for the first time since around November (sadly quite underwhelmed with VR in general so far) I bought Dirt VR (standard PS4, Thrustmaster T150) and after a first brief test I'm liking it a lot more than DriveClub VR, which was just too heavily visually downgraded and blurry and pixelated for me to enjoy. Dirt VR suffers too but it's sharper than DriveClub VR.
It's so far also more fun to drive - I was and is a huge fan of the regular DriveClub, so that's not the issue - but that may very well just be down to having a wheel now, while I have only played DriveClub VR with the pad.

I'll get back to playing a few more short stages before a long break. Since I never spent much time in VR I unfortunately still feel mild nausea almost immediately in many VR games, including Dirt VR. If I enjoy it enough (still suspect that very soon I once again just can't be bothered with the headset and just go back to playing on my TV) I'll try to build up some tolerance.

OK, I've got a std PS4 and the VR. I purchased Dirt Rally and downloaded the VR upgrade. I got the game to work with my Fanatech wheel no problem. However, I cannot get the game into VR mode? The VR works fine but just as a big screen TV. What am I missing? How do I get it into VR?

There should be a menu for Playstation VR where you can activate it. After that everything - including the recorded car drive up to the starting point - will still be in 2D, but you should then find yourself in VR once the countdown starts.
If that doesn't happen I'm not sure what's going on.

Nausea when driving in VR is usually down to moments where the game moves your head relative to the rest of the scenery without you expecting it. In pCARS I found a VR setting called "G-effect" which defaults to 0.2, but if you switch it to 0 then you stop having moments where the car goes over a bump and the head position moves relative to the car... instead your head is steady and the car simply moves below you, which is what should happen and avoids nausea.

I was assuming DiRT Rally VR would do this automatically, but if not then I could see it causing nausea.

r
Nausea when driving in VR is usually down to moments where the game moves your head relative to the rest of the scenery without you expecting it. In pCARS I found a VR setting called "G-effect" which defaults to 0.2, but if you switch it to 0 then you stop having moments where the car goes over a bump and the head position moves relative to the car... instead your head is steady and the car simply moves below you, which is what should happen and avoids nausea.

I was assuming DiRT Rally VR would do this automatically, but if not then I could see it causing nausea.

I can quickly get mild nausea in VR from basically any kind of movement. The disconnect between what my eyes see and what my inner ear tells me my body is doing can be enough even with gentle movements.
I also used to get severely motion sick from first person games on a regular monitor or TV - just as I often suffered from genuine motion sickness in cars and boats. It has gotten a lot better over the last two decades, but can still happen on occasion. Or in VR very frequently and in some instances strongly (couldn't play RIGS on PSVR for more than about a minute before I had to tear off the headset. Almost as bad with a few others that require frequent quick turns).

I managed six sprint stages in Dirt Rally - with a short break between each - with only mild nausea. no more today though.
It was a pretty awesome experience though. The immersion is great and the sense of car and track significantly improved over 2D. I wasn't setting any speed records but I could pull off hairpin turns like never before, and managed a Sweden stage without crashing into the snow 7-17 times :).

I did wonder about this too @lancia delta hf, first off I found it a little odd that they felt the need make a big thing about the steering setup. You would have thought being the SIM racers they are, and knowing this game does have settings for the wheel! they would have accepted this.

Then with the second video, and only able to go by there judgement and that of others, I wanted to pose the same question here too.

Physics, dumbed down or not noticeable?

Can't say that I've noticed anything like that. They complain about the steering sensitivity and some of the comments their seem to echo that, so I guess there might've been an issue with wheel settings for some. Mine were exactly as before so it worked fine for me. It did reset some key bindings though.

The interesting thing is that in cinema mode it is a bit sharper so I think it runs sub native resolution.

Steamed up lenses are a problem to me too :D. The only strange thing that I noticed (in terms of motion) is that Monaco stage (while close to the "wall") seemed a bit choppy.

Monaco stages are acting up for me as well. Some parts have a poor framerate and it's very annoying, so I hope that gets fixed. I've wondered about the resolution as well. Several PSVR games have that muddiness in the distance but from memory the VR Playroom stuff is a lot sharper. My guess is resolutions are down to meet target framerates as these games are lightyears from being properly optimized for PSVR. It's the price we have to pay for VR for now.

I got this today and the VR is absolutely brilliant.

I have played on the 4.5 beta 3 system with a PS4 Pro. Only used VR upgrade on the controller so far.

I have had the original game since it came out and was only really interested in driving in the cockpit view. However, I struggled with it in the original due to its fixed view looking straight ahead (having got used to Project Cars look into the corner). So I played it a bit but went back to Project Cars (and other games). However, after getting the VR upgrade today it will definitely be getting plenty of action now. I don't see myself playing it in non VR again.

Looking out of the side window going round corners is so much fun in this. The way rally is meant to be experienced. I could even manage the Lancia Stratos today just with the controller. I can't wait to fix my wheel stand and try it on the wheel.

I was coming up to a left hand hairpin in the German Rally and quite a way before the corner I looked way left and was able to see the entire exit of the corner and plan my way around it so much better. It feels so much more natural. Big 360 degree smile on my face as I nailed the corner. Even going off the side of a cliff is great. The only time I got a slight bit of nausea was when reversing after hitting a tree or going the wrong way (damn codriver!) but it went away as soon as I stopped and engaged forward thrusters.

So far I've tried it on Pikes Peak (205) and the German Rally (Stratos). Stunning.

If SMS can pull off PSVR in Project Cars 2, I can see it and Dirt Rally being the killer apps for my PSVR headset. The challenge for SMS is 45 car fields and twin core tyre models alongside the double rendering required. I hope they manage it. Even if the graphics ended up looking like Battlezone VR it would be worth it.

I have to say Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are good with the PSVR in large cinema mode as you can set the field of view in cockpit mode suitably wide so moving your head allows you to see the mirrors bit they're not in your field of view when looking forward.

Setup my PSVR for the first time last night and I thought WOW - this is really cool! Then after a few laps around a short test stage I became nauseous. But it's a great way to play and I have to find a way to get over the nausea. Thanks for the tip on "G-effect" and if anyone knows where that setting is please post.

Going to get some ginger chews before trying again tonight. I am somewhat prone to motion sickness when riding (not driving) in a car on twisty mountain roads. I also get seasick in really rough seas, but watching the horizon keeps that at bay, which follows with the how you explained the "G-effect" setting.

First impressions, yes the resolution could be better, but I didn't have any problems reading menus or seeing in game objects. 3D audio works even with the cheap earbuds. Cinema mode has promise as well.

I've put a bunch of hours in Dr on PC and never came in first. Usually 3rd. With this VR update, now I'm placing 1st or second with just seconds off the leader. Also, the inclines and declines of the hills now feel more substantial, just like those snowbanks

Setup my PSVR for the first time last night and I thought WOW - this is really cool! Then after a few laps around a short test stage I became nauseous. But it's a great way to play and I have to find a way to get over the nausea. Thanks for the tip on "G-effect" and if anyone knows where that setting is please post.

Going to get some ginger chews before trying again tonight. I am somewhat prone to motion sickness when riding (not driving) in a car on twisty mountain roads. I also get seasick in really rough seas, but watching the horizon keeps that at bay, which follows with the how you explained the "G-effect" setting.

First impressions, yes the resolution could be better, but I didn't have any problems reading menus or seeing in game objects. 3D audio works even with the cheap earbuds. Cinema mode has promise as well.

This helped me as I don't normally feel any sickness but did get some light 'empty head' feelings, the next day actually, not straight after, is all I can describe. After a few days you soon get used to it.

If new to VR, Try some other demos that are much slower first to get you used to it, don't tighten headset too tight but enough to move screen if you have too quickly mid race, don't play too long (10-20 mins max-2-3 stages) each day. DiRT Rally is probably one of the most intense VR games out there with sudden movements. Always turn your head slowly not your eyes to focus on the extreme corners of the VR screen (otherwise it will be a blur). Very important to calibrate in PS4 main Menu setting eye measurements to camera (this can make a big difference), adjust the VR screen up as well as back and forward and pull forward more than you think as it will help focus for faster games.

I would start with a few free demos off the store, realxing stories, cool 360 videos on (Littlstar, Within)-Free Apps, are great i.e being in the cadillac around the ViRaceway, fashion shows, as was the carnival in Rio all in 360 were great. The free ocean decent demo was good to get used to looking around. Otherwise it is a game changer being actually in the car of the game, seeing the big jumps and cars around you, the size of the surroundings being as tall as your room, and the floor being the car carpet it feels surreal being transported into the game you have been playing on the TV! (still amazes me each time:drool:)..Enjoy :cheers:

Last edited:
I have played Dirt Rally on PSVR for several hours and it is great fun. The steering sensitivity was too high when I started but was fine after I adjusted steering saturation to 65. YMMV. The graphics are quite good for VR and are comparable to the graphics on my gaming PC when I played Dirt Rally with my Oculus Rift and GTX 1070 GPU. The screen is definitely brighter than Driveclub VR and less blurry, although there is still some noticeable blurriness and aliasing but not enough to detract from immersion. I cannot tell if the physics have been dumbed down compared to the PC version, probably because I play with ABS and TCS on both systems.

If you like VR and have even a passing interest in sim racing and/or rally, this is a must buy.

I have been on this quite a bit now, I can't get enough of the immersion of those big jumps and crests caning it down Finlands fast tracks, it was good on the TV but being in the car they feel massive and you a flying through the stage.

Awesome!..:bowdown:

What do you all think of DiRT Rally PSVR now you have had it a week or two are you finding it good. Any favourite highlights? 👍 Worth the £10?

I'm still yet to buy it, but having just upgraded to a PS4 Pro.... Temptation is likely to get the better of me.

Just on a side note, really pleased I have gone pro, definitely feel like the experience in VR has improved. DC is more comfortable now :)

@hobbsy I agree, I am very glad I made the jump to PS4 Pro, all VRgames are much sharper, most photomodes get upscaled to 4k, USB stick/games loading all faster. It is quite a powerful machine. My old PS4 has turned in to a good old Blu ray player upstairs- I will keep as a spare I think, I was going to sell it but it isn't worth it. 👍

Yeah, I have the hard choice to sell or not to sell!

I should really to offset the cost, but there is maybe one thing that could stop me...

Gran Turismo Sport triple screen mode...!!! Lol ;)

Been thinking about PSVR virtual hands and real hands and wether your brain will get confused and miss the shifter. This effect is interesting, I wonder if it translates to VR?

Last edited:
I have played Dirt Rally on PSVR for several hours and it is great fun. The steering sensitivity was too high when I started but was fine after I adjusted steering saturation to 65. YMMV. The graphics are quite good for VR and are comparable to the graphics on my gaming PC when I played Dirt Rally with my Oculus Rift and GTX 1070 GPU. The screen is definitely brighter than Driveclub VR and less blurry, although there is still some noticeable blurriness and aliasing but not enough to detract from immersion. I cannot tell if the physics have been dumbed down compared to the PC version, probably because I play with ABS and TCS on both systems.

If you like VR and have even a passing interest in sim racing and/or rally, this is a must buy.
The first thing I noticed was the steering was very twitchy, never thought of changing the saturation, will give it a go. Does anyone know why it's like that in vr?

Back