Dodge RAM 1500 LARAMIE Hemi '04

• Thread starter Sctn2labor
  • 8 comments
Dodge RAM 1500 LARAMIE Hemi '04

Can you say "sleeper?" I was very, VERY disappointed that this is the only AWD truck. I would think the ubiquitous Toyota 4x4, favoured by off-road officials as well as technicals in rebel armies the world over, would have made an appearance. Oh well, Toyota's loss.

Let me break it down to brass tacks. ALL THE FIXINGS.
Racing Exhaust, Racing Brakes, Brake Controller, NA Tuning 3, Port Polish, Engine Balancing, Racing Chip, Nitrous is for cheaters so none of that, Full Customize Tranny, Triple Plate Clutch, Racing Flywheel, Full Customize LSD, Carbon Driveshaft, Supercharger, Racing Suspension, VCD, Weight Reducton 3, Increase Rigidity, Rigidity Refresher Plan.
Everything but Nitrous.

Take a look at the NA power curve. (As I understand it, the power curve is from where you get up to about 75% torque, to where you drop down to about 75% HP. It works for me in practice to compare cars.) Not bad, I wish more cars had this kind of torque right up to peak HP. Now put in the Supercharger. (I get the NA just in case. You'd think that all the upgrades listed under NA would help a turbocharged/supercharged engine, but I'm no gearhead.) "Oh no I lost 166HP!!" Yeah wonderful, good for you. Look at the damn curve.

Doing some calculations with a ruler, I found that you get most of your torque by 2100RPMs, and it lasts until around 4000. You drop to the same torque as 500RPM gives you by around 5700RPM. Peak torque is at 4200RPM, and from about 3200 on up to about 4500 you're running at REALLY close to peak torque. Respectable HP comes in around 4000RPM, peak HP is at 5400RPM, and it drops to about the same as 4000RPM by the time you hit redline.
In other words? Your powerband is from 500RPM (438 torque out of a peak of 632? Yeah, your powerband starts at idle) to redline (~435HP). A more conservative estimate is 2100RPM (~600FT/LB) to 5500RPM (~475HP).

Guys, I'm a rubbish driver. I got all golds in braking, and that took months. I'm not a very good tuner either--I tune things "good enough" and then pretty much leave it be. I bought this because I wanted to do the ice races and from personal experience know that a 4 wheel drive truck is king of the ice. Then I went to the rest of the Special Condition races, where even the Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car was starting to fail me. I'm on the IB-class Chamonix Rally, and that's starting to give me fits. (IB Grand Canyon I'm considering won--I haven't played that one sober yet.)

I was stuck at about 9% completion until I played with this puppy. I'm at 11.3% now, and rising. That's like unlocking another 25% of the game! I have smoked every race in Beginner and Pro that I've tried, except the Tuning Car Grand Prix.

I cannot win a race if it's worth 50 A-Spec Points or more. Or at least that's what I thought until I got this puppy. You don't normally appreciate torque, because it's usually not there in appreciable quantities for very long. Even the designers fall into this trap--most races with my Laramie are 200-pointers. Only the IB rallies have been as low as 125-175. The points are based on HP, for the most part... but when you've got enough torque to be able to do an entire lap in reverse pushing the AI sideways through Capri Rally/Costa diAmalfi (again, drunk, and pissed off at the damn AI ramming me in the front half of the truck so that I'd get the 5-second penalty)...

Torque, at least like this supercharged monster gives you, is amazing.

All settings in F/R format.
Suspension:
Springs: 9/10
Height: 212/262 (looks aggressive; drop front to 192 to look like some crazy axe-murderer like Jack Nicholson in The Shining is driving your truck)
Bound: 7/8
Rebound: 5/6
Camber: 2/1
Toe: 1/0
Stab: 5/5

Tranny:
Auto 6. I normally tune the hell out of tranny (not very well either), but with this setup I usually get into 6th on the straightaways, only coming near the limiter on road-races.

Aids: TCS 2, others 0.
LSD: Default

VCD: 40. Some road races I'll drop to 35, on ice I do closer to 50/50.

Brakes: 3/3 playing with 4/8. Really need to find the smoke-point.

Yeah, that mile wide torque curve with the supercharger is a beauty all right. Unfortunately, though, sometimes you need the horsepower more (Swiss Alps hard).

The A-spec potential is, frankly, one of the most well-known glitches in GT4. The Dodge Ram gets 200 points in races where it should be getting maybe 5 or so. Be that as it may, I'll take the 20,000 points I gathered with it (I can't say that more than a few thousand of those were truly 'earned').

On your tunings, you might want to consider softening up the shocks a bit, particularly on dirt and ice. Also, toss 150kg or so of ballast in the truck bed. That ride height you're using might look cool, but for better performance drop it all the way to 144.

I think it's kinda funny that a pickup truck thrashes 'Vettes and Vipers in the Hot Rod Competition and Stars and Stripes series.

Was going with neutral toe, but the slight angle is helping a touch.

I prefer to crank the height up high. It's a damned truck, you don't lower them. Ever. Not what a truck is for. :P As for ballast, I might do that. Simulate the toolbox.

Edit: Alcohol aside, the comments are welcome. Still... truck doesn't go below 150. Gotta clear them stumps!! :D

thanks for the set-up it is working a treat. using r5 qualify tyres the dodge will only do about 160km (100m) speed and sometimes has trouble going up hills.

i am trying to get 200pts per race, so i was using r5 on hard rallies on road and the beast would not keep up with anything. i got sick of trying and did not know what to do. i then took my ram to pro hall and did clubman cup with sports tyres and wiped the field. i then thought tyres may be a factor.

i then tried on r3 (for road rallies) and was astounded by the speed increase.

would this be because of the grip factor? maybe the r5 actually slow the ram down because of to much grip.

Uhh, Open?

That was necromancy.

Ah well.

please note my Join Date: May 29 2007

i have not been around for very long and i am now starting to really get in to 200 pointers and thought that this information was extremely helpful. sorry to Dig up old topics, however i thought that being the thread was only 2 1/2 months old it would not be classed as necromancy that quickly.:)

Back