Delphic Reason

Delphicreasonium
Staff Emeritus
GTP_DelphicR
Esoterik1
Fanatec Clubsport Pedals Tuning Kit Review/Guide

2010-06-30174126.jpg

2010-06-18193117.jpg

For a while now the Fanatec Clubsport Pedals have ruled the console roost, so to speak. Their only real competition being the pedals that are supplied with the Logitech G25/G27 (which are not sold separately), and lack the features/adjustability of the CSP’s. That being said, the CSP’s aren’t going to be perfect for everyone right out of the box. Quite a few adjustments can be made to the CSP’s, but there is room for improvement. To really “dial them in” you are going to need more than what is provided in the CSP box to do so.
With this kit you can make quite a few changes that will effectively transform your pedals. I wasn’t expecting the parts provided to make such a difference. I was pleasantly surprised by the results achieved.
When you open the box, you find 2 layers of parts all laid out in foam inserts.

That parts included are:

3 Gas Springs: Normal, 30% Stronger, 30% Less
3 Clutch Springs: Normal, 30% Stronger, 30% Less
2 Brake Rods: 24mm, 30mm
2 Different PU Foam Options: Firmer, Smaller Diameter (less resistance)
2 Lubricants: Metal, Foam
Optional Gas Pedal: For replacing stock gas pedal (great for those with inverted pedals)

Before you attempt to utilize any of these parts, it’s a good idea to watch the video (thank you Thomas) below to get acquainted with how one takes apart the pedals, and how they can be adjusted.

Now that you know the basics, let’s move on to tuning the pedals using the provided parts in the kit.

1. The Brass Bushings: 6 brass bushings are included to replace the stock plastic pieces. This both improves the life expectancy of the bushings, and also increases the smoothness of the actuation of the pedals. This is by far the most labor intensive part to replace, in the kit. To remove the original plastic bushings you must first remove the two allen screws on either side of the pedal base (thus releasing the rod connecting the pedals to the base… See picture below)

2010-08-14105020.jpg

Once you have removed the screws, pictured above, You can slide out the metal rod connecting the pedals together, being careful to keep all the parts in the right order when removing the bar. Replace the plastic bushings with the brass parts provided, reinstall the metal rod, and replace the allen screws.

*Be careful of the wires/connectors when taking apart the pedals. They are delicate and can be easily damaged if you’re not careful. You have been warned.*

2. The Springs: There are 3 springs for the gas, and 3 springs for the clutch. So, you can adjust the amount of force required to depress (and release) these two pedals (see “Brake Bars/Foam” for how to adjust the brakes). However, you needn’t stick to the prescribed formula. For instance, I found even the strongest gas spring too soft. Therefore, I swapped it for the softest clutch spring, which is still much more resistance than even the strongest gas spring provided. Having used the weakest clutch spring for the gas, I then used the strongest clutch spring for the…. Erm… Clutch. This way the clutch still has more resistance than the throttle, keeping the feel about right. Your mileage may vary. Some amount of trial and error is needed to find the “sweet spot” for you personally.

3. The Brake Rods/Foam: 2 brake rods are included. A 24mm rod (longer brake throw), and a 30mm rod (shorter brake throw). Along with the alternate rods, there are 2 different foam pieces. One is the same size (diameter) as stock, but much firmer. The other is slightly longer, and thinner. Both provide a different feel when fully depressing the brakes. I personally used the stronger foam and the longer brake rod. This shortened the throw (although not quite as much as moving the brake bar up a peg, as shown in Thomas’s video) and improved the feel when the brakes are fully depressed. I found this setup to feel the most realistic, and the best compromise all around.

4. The Lubricants: Fanatec also provided replacement lubricants (stop snickering…) in the kit. One for the metal brake rods, and the other for the foam. It’s a good idea to use these any time you replace these parts.

5. The Extra pedal: For many, the long (Porsche-like) gas pedal will be perfectly acceptable. Others may prefer a more traditionally sized pedal (i.e. closer in size to the other 2 pedals). For you, Fanatec offers an alternate pedal that is identical to the clutch/brake pedals. This can be especially useful if you have “inverted” your CSP’s.

For a detailed guide on how to invert your pedals go here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129591

So, if you have a set of CSP's, and fancy a bit of tinkering, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not picking up the Tuning Kit. The parts provided have become an integral part of what makes my CSP's mine. There is a lot of tuning that can be done with the standard CSP's. However, the Tuning Kit brings them to another level.

For details on the Tuning Kit, and other Fanatec products, follow the links below.​

Official Fanatec Website: http://www.fanatec.com/
Purchase/Pre-Order the Tuning Kit here (US): http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_u...id=73&osCsid=a8a3528509b398ed877857b55a1eebae
Thomas' Blog: www.911wheel.de

I hope you enjoyed the review/guide. I enjoyed putting it together. Thank you to Thomas and the rest of the Fanatec staff for offering the sim community such wonderful products.

Now get out there and race!

;)

Last edited:
Thanks. Cool. Will need to come back here in october when they will ship them (already ordered).

For now i just hope i will get my wheel & CSP next week.

i saw Thomas put your inverted CSP guide on 911wheels. Kudos

I own a CSP. Not long, just for 3 weeks now. I don`t achieve what the use of the tunning kit. Is it useful? What`s the big achivement for the tunning kit?

I own a CSP. Not long, just for 3 weeks now. I don`t achieve what the use of the tunning kit. Is it useful? What`s the big achivement for the tunning kit?

You might first read the review/guide. I explain exactly why it's useful.

It's all about tuning the CSP's so they "feel" right for each individual.

The springs alone are worth the price of admission. Utilizing the softest available "Clutch Spring", I was able to make the throttle pedal much more realistic in feel, and much easier for me to modulate.

;)

I use to have the BRD's speed7 pedal box with the tuning kit. My personal experience is that it was difficult to find the right springs, foam etc... . But once I did, I didn't use the tuning kit anymore. It always was a hazzle to change the parts using the tuning kit. For me personal, it was a waste of money, buying the tuning kit.

I use to have the BRD's speed7 pedal box with the tuning kit. My personal experience is that it was difficult to find the right springs, foam etc... . But once I did, I didn't use the tuning kit anymore. It always was a hazzle to change the parts using the tuning kit. For me personal, it was a waste of money, buying the tuning kit.

To each his own.

Yet, I couldn't disagree more. At least with regards to the Fanatec Tuning Kit. I didn't find it very hard at all to find the right combination of springs/rods/PU foam. Furthermore, I wasn't finding the standard CSP's to be comfortable, especially the brakes. So, the tuning kit was a no-brainer for me.

After having found the right combination, the pedals feel incredible. Personally, I wouldn't buy the CSP's without the tuning kit. It makes that big of a difference.

;)

Nice to get some of your thoughts on the product..

Although bit disappointed as I had hoped to see images of the kit. Where is it, lol?
Come on mate. Please can you add some pics showing it in detail including what it contained and compared to the standard components?
Also would be nice to see images of it being installed and complete.

Nice to get some of your thoughts on the product..

Although bit disappointed as I had hoped to see images of the kit. Where is it, lol?
Come on mate. Please can you add some pics showing it in detail including what it contained and compared to the standard components?
Also would be nice to see images of it being installed and complete.

You're absolutely right. I do have pictures of the kit. I just forgot to post them. Although, it's pointless to post pictures of anything installed, as you won't be able to tell the difference. By watching the Fanatec CSP Tutorial you can easily see how the parts are installed.

I will post more pictures later.

UPDATE: As requested, more pictures have been added to the first post.

I meant to post them initially, but due to how crazy it is around here (work), it completely slipped my mind.

Thank you for reminding me, Mr. Latte.

;)

Last edited:
Ah thanks for that, was just wanting to see those different springs mainly.
Good idea on swapping the clutch with the gas. Some people seem to like that.

People have to take into account that some brake mods available for the G25/G27 cost much more than this upgrade kit. So I think its something I too will end up getting with it being reasonably priced.

As you say to have the ability in obtaining a more personalised feeling from the pedals will be more satisifying for the end user.

Hi, excellent, nice simple review ie simple as in 'makes it easy to understand', how/what to tweak etc.
Pre ordered last week, think at least i will do the same as in the review regards the Brake.
Found too long a throw on brake pedal with STD set up, move up a hole, usable, but near enough no throw + potentiometer as to be max one way.
So looks like moving back down a hole & use kit to shorten throw. So at least for me, i'll get some worth out of kit. Brass bushes look at least a bonus.

Cheers BOB

I use the stronger spring for gas and clutch and think it makes a difference for sure. I like it much better this way.

Hi, excellent, nice simple review ie simple as in 'makes it easy to understand', how/what to tweak etc.
Pre ordered last week, think at least i will do the same as in the review regards the Brake.
Found too long a throw on brake pedal with STD set up, move up a hole, usable, but near enough no throw + potentiometer as to be max one way.
So looks like moving back down a hole & use kit to shorten throw. So at least for me, i'll get some worth out of kit. Brass bushes look at least a bonus.

Cheers BOB

Glad to be of service. You will not be disappointed.

Be prepared to go through a bit of trial and error. My old roommate moved the pedal up a peg, and he prefers it that way (over my setup). Everyone is going to have their own opinion as to what is the best combination of parts.

I added my setup to the review, to give people an idea of what can be done. Not necessarily what should be done.

However, I do highly recommend the longer bar/firmer PU Foam for the brake setup. It's a fantastic compromise between the stock setup, and moving up a peg, in my opinion.

;)

Do the CSP pedals not come stock with the "normal" springs for the gas and clutch but somthing else?
I ask because it says the kit comes with

Does that mean you are getting two more "Normal" springs one for gas and one for the clutch that you don't really need ?
If so, why not leave those out of the tuning kit and put in some 50% or 60% stronger springs in there place ?

Do the CSP pedals not come stock with the "normal" springs for the gas and clutch but something else?
I ask because it says the kit comes with

Does that mean you are getting two more "Normal" springs one for gas and one for the clutch that you don't really need ?
If so, why not leave those out of the tuning kit and put in some 50% or 60% stronger springs in there place ?

The kit does come with extra normal springs for the gas and clutch. Don't be so quick to say they aren't needed. As I demonstrated, you don't need to stick to the prescribed formula of where the springs are to be installed.

For instance, someone might want to use the normal gas spring for the clutch, and for the gas. Or, use both normal clutch springs for gas/clutch. Having the extra parts just means you have more room to adjust the pedals for your comfort level.

You definitely do not need a 50% or 60% stronger clutch spring. The strongest clutch spring is very stiff, and many are going to prefer a softer spring. The gas springs would benefit from a stronger option. However, it's easy to get around this (for some) by using the softest available (30% Less) clutch spring.

It's by no means a perfect kit, but what it offers it does well.

;)

Thanks Delphic Reason,
For the reply and the review.

I think your review could also help fanatec with there final product.
Like from what you have done with mixing and matching the gas and clutch spring.

They should include in the printed instructions a chart that says you can mix and match springs and list how they work with the differant pedals like: 30% less clutch spring= 50% more when used with gas pedal or just lable all the springs as dual use with there values for both pedals.

This is nit picking because it does sound like a great kit for CSP owners but sometimes, small things in the packaging or instruction guide can make for a big improvment in the overall product.
I think your use of the springs is one of those things and they should make it clear in the instructions or packaging for the people who might not have thought of using the different springs like you did.

Good job Delphic Reason

Thanks Delphic Reason,
For the reply and the review.

You're welcome.

They should include in the printed instructions a chart that says you can mix and match springs and list how they work with the differant pedals like: 30% less clutch spring= 50% more when used with gas pedal or just lable all the springs as dual use with there values for both pedals.

Thomas is around on the boards, and he pays attention to requests/suggestions. You never know what will end up in future iterations of Fanatec products.

;)

Ok, now that we have that sorted (via PM), we can get back on topic.

Has anyone pre-ordered the Tuning Kit? I would love to hear some of your feedback upon receiving, and utilizing, the parts.

I'm sure there will be some interesting setups, and I would love to hear all your thoughts.

;)

What is that big pedal for, the one below the springs in the box? See photo on page one.

to replace the "standing" gas pedal (See photo on page one on the csp) if you don't have it yet (for ex.: in the colour kit)

I have preordered the kit. But still some time till getting it.

Yeah, as "ibo" said. it's just to replace the larger "standing" gas pedal, if you so choose.

Personally, I went back to using the "standing" pedal, as it allowed for easier heal/toe (Inverted CSP's). However, I imagine most will prefer the alternate pedal.

;)

I don't want to undercut anything but if you want to stiffen some of your pedals a bit without changing the throw, go to your local hobby shop and find some shock spacers for 1/8 remote control cars.

I have a small one installed in the clutch and a larger one in the gas and the feel is perfect. This should hold me over until I get my tuning kit.

I don't want to undercut anything but if you want to stiffen some of your pedals a bit without changing the throw, go to your local hobby shop and find some shock spacers for 1/8 remote control cars.

I have a small one installed in the clutch and a larger one in the gas and the feel is perfect. This should hold me over until I get my tuning kit.

That's very similar to what I did prior to receiving my kit (Hardware store). Not a bad option if you don't have the kit.

;)

Ive had a tunning kit on order for a while and still no word of it, ahem!

Although my throttle has not stopped working also, likely either the board or sensor and now the power up issue Ive had twice 👎

Back