Dumb Questions Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 807 comments
But the initial answer is that you can control yourself rationally despite emotional or instinctual responses supplied by your genes.
What is this based on?

I really don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, but what if we are missing something when it comes to genetic/subconscious forces?

What is this based on?

I really don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, but what if we are missing something when it comes to genetic/subconscious forces?

It's based on cognitive and behavioral techniques that are used to overcome emotions and suppress instinct. Like calming techniques the allow rage and anxiety to pass. Or cognitive behavioral therapies that stop suicidal or self-destructive thought patterns from replicating. These psychological techniques are effective at allowing people to regain higher brain control when the lower emotional and instinctual brain has taken over.

Was this a fair sentence?
It's not really a dumb question and perhaps belongs somewhere else; however, I will say that the sentence is not fair and does deserve a custodial sentence either in prison or a mental health facility.

The reason for my saying that it wasn't fair it's because if you cannot use being drunk as a defence for involuntary manslaughter (ie, punching someone and they crack their head open on the road) as we know that alcohol has a physiological effect on the brain; why wouldn't it be safe to assume that marijuana would do the same? Just as someone would get violent when blind drunk, it would be possible that someone who, of their own responsibility, took drugs could also become violent and unpredictable.

Her only saving grace appears to be her disability and the complications an assistance dog might bring.

if you cannot use being drunk as a defence
Hardline my opinion on this one:
if being under any affect of any drug and you get violent, then either the drug itself needs to be illegal, or you have to take 100% responsibility, because you took it willingly and knowingly. No excuses.

The only exception would be medications, but then they could be accompanied with a strict "stay at home and be careful" rule - a job for some smart person to formulate it.

Then on the question "fair sentence"?
Well, if you never had a drink and someone offers you a small glass, do you believe it will do any harm?
I seek for anything comparable, because it would be a comparable result, and getting drunk - just as @DG_Silva points out, is all the same.
If in doubt, simply decline the offer or the invitation.

Why do people like mason jars so much? They're hard to clean, they're heavy, they don't fill easily. A butcher container appears to do the job so much better. So what am I missing?

The only reason I know for Mason jars is canning stuff. My grandfather uses them to can relish, pickles, salsa, or other things from his garden.

Last edited:
The only reason I know for Mason jars is canning stuff. My grandfather uses them to can relish, pickles, salsa, or other things from his garden.
They're hot right now. For much more than canning stuff.

Looks as much as anything.

We have one sat next to the coffee machine, with beans in it. Looks better than a plastic container would, even if plastict does the job of keeping them fresh just as well.

I think the perception of being good at keeping something sealed is a selling point too. There's no ambiguity with them either. A quick visual scan confirms if they're open or closed. The same can't be said for screw lids or click on container lids.

If I go to one more microbrewery where they serve me an overpriced IPA in a Mason jar, I'm going to consider taking up sobriety. I suspect all the douche breweries in Colorado do that like they do that in Michigan since both states are home to the douchiest of douchey microbreweries.

If I go to one more microbrewery where they serve me an overpriced IPA in a Mason jar, I'm going to consider taking up sobriety. I suspect all the douche breweries in Colorado do that like they do that in Michigan since both states are home to the douchiest of douchey microbreweries.
We Want Plates

A now inactive Twitter account but a fantastic archive.

Last edited:
Funny enough, we got tons of breweries here in CT, and I've never seen any beer - let alone an IPA - served in a Mason jar. Maybe it's just a CO/MI thing? The only alcohol I've seen served in a Mason jar are reasonably-priced spicy margaritas, and even then, it's only like, two places.

Last edited:
Funny enough, we got tons of breweries here in CT, and I've never seen any beer - let alone an IPA - served in a Mason jar. Maybe it's just a CO/MI thing? The only alcohol I've seen served in a Mason jar are reasonably-priced spicy margaritas, and even then, it's only like, two places.
I think it depends on how hipster a place is. Unfortunately, Colorado and Michigan are like the microbrewery meccas (I live in the middle of no where and there are like 6 microbreweries near me) so we sort of have a competition on who can out hipster who.

I think it depends on how hipster a place is. Unfortunately, Colorado and Michigan are like the microbrewery meccas (I live in the middle of no where and there are like 6 microbreweries near me) so we sort of have a competition on who can out hipster who.
Is the beer at least good?

Is it weird that the connie vermin (but I repeat myself) what rant about "DEI" don't direct their ire at Clarence Thomas? It seems like it should be weird. Look, the bitch was nominated to replace Thurgood Marshall, the first and at that point only black justice on the Court, and there's no way who was being replaced wasn't part of the calculus.

Is the beer at least good?
Probably not. I live not all that far from Dogfish Head Brewery, one of the first craft breweries in the country to make it really big. They don't make a single beer I would drink more than 16 ounces of, and a lot I couldn't finish.

And it's not like I'm a Coors Light type of beer drinker. I like flavor and substance. I just don't want the flavor to be "cold coffee with cigarette butt" or "spoiled orange juice with a hint of baking soda."

Last edited:
Probably not. I live not all that far from Dogfish Head Brewery, one of the first craft breweries in the country to make it really big. They don't make a single beer I would drink more than 16 ounces of, and a lot I couldn't finish.

They made a light IPA which wasn't half bad. I didn't recall it to be too odd-flavored, either.

I'm not a beer snob, but I've never really liked most light beer, and I'm picky out of necessity. I prefer the high bitterness factor since it's less likely to give me an immediate burning sensation, and I could always use less carbs. The drawback is that most IPAs taste like Jet A with a dollop of varnish, but I'm largely used to that. The other advantage to an IPA is the increased alcohol content, meaning I don't need more than one to be satisfied (well, because I don't drink much anymore) and I don't have to imitate a race horse shortly after the bill is presented.

Different tokes for different folks, I suppose.

Last edited:
Dumb automotive question.

Could anyone explain to me the difference between all wheel drive and four wheel drive? I thought they were the same but I remember reading or hearing somewhere that they're different systems.

Last edited:
Dumb automotive question.

Could anyone explain to me the difference between all wheel drive and four wheel drive? I thought they were the same but I remember reading or hearing somewhere that they're different systems.
Functionally the same in a normal car but 4WD technically only applies to that specific number of driving wheels.

files

This Tatra 6x6 is AWD. If it was 4WD, it would be a form of RWD with only the rear wheels being driven.

Edit: There is a DCQ thread in Cars In General

Last edited:
Back