• 14 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
Over before it even begun, it seems.

An EgyptAir internal flight to Cairo was diverted to Cyprus after being hijacked by Seif Eldin Mustafa, who was allegedly wearing an explosive vest but this is not yet confirmed.

The plane left Borg El Arab at 04:36 GMT and arrived in Cyprus at 05:46 GMT.

Some report that he wanted to talk to his estranged wife, other report that he wanted the release of female prisoners in Egyptian gaols.

After a morning of tension and stand off, hostages were seen leaving the plane and Mustafa left the plane with his hands above his head. One person was seen leaping from the cockpit window.

Just on the report about his estranged wife being the motive:

"Local media reports said the hijacker had handed over a four-page letter in Arabic after the plane landed at Larnaca on Tuesday morning, and that a woman thought to be his wife had arrived at the airport.

Earlier, Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades had responded to a reporter's question about whether the hijacker was motivated by romance, by laughing and saying: "Always there is a woman involved.""

Beeb

...Glad no one was hurt in this "incident". Will wait and see what the real motive was for this ill-advised attempt at notoriety.

"Can you take my picture with the bloke who hijacked our flight?"

Priorities.

CevLnF-W8AE_fYJ.jpg

Last edited:
"Can you take my picture with the bloke who hijacked our flight?"

Priorities.

CevLnF-W8AE_fYJ.jpg

I probably shouldn't say this... but that is awesome, isn't it?

Authorities confirm that the belt is fake, it seems there was nothing about him that alerted airport security.

Meanwhile, the BBC tells us, jokes about the situation split the twittering-sphere.

It's a difficult situation - the aircraft commander has no choice but to take seriously any claim such as the one this passenger made, in this case there was clearly no real physical harm intended and the man is a patent nut-job.

This whole event could be the next 'Snakes on a Plane'... so much nonsense happened :lol:

The guy took the photo because he said he wanted to basically be immortalized in the image of a lifetime, I guess he got his wish but my god is he a plonker!

When I first saw that image I thought how crass and ridiculous... but @Robin.'s post made me realise that this poor guy probably thought that this was it and he was going to die - so to do something like that and get such a ridiculous picture is really quite astonishingly brilliant. Thank goodness it turned out to be something less sinister and that no-one was hurt in the end - except for the chicken, may it defrost in peace.

except for the chicken, may it defrost in peace.

Oh c'mon, roast in peace, surely? :D

It's true that some of the best comedy comes from the darkest times I guess, my own favourite was the wife insisting that the husband should repeat his bank details. If Victoria Wood wrote a bathos, pathos loaded hijack sketch then this would surely be it.

When I first saw that image I thought how crass and ridiculous... but @Robin.'s post made me realise that this poor guy probably thought that this was it and he was going to die - so to do something like that and get such a ridiculous picture is really quite astonishingly brilliant. Thank goodness it turned out to be something less sinister and that no-one was hurt in the end - except for the chicken, may it defrost in peace.

Did he get the picture before or after the situation had been more or less diffused? He looks far too chipper for someone who thinks he might die.

Did he get the picture before or after the situation had been more or less diffused? He looks far too chipper for someone who thinks he might die.
He had: "Get selfie with terrorist" on his bucket list.

Back