• Thread starter Hollow
  • 17 comments

Hollow

Premium
United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
TurboToastt
Discuss all things Elden Ring!

I have been playing the DLC lately. I built a new character for it and stopped leveling up around 150, thinking I’ll be too overpowered for the DLC, boy was I wrong lol

My first playthrough of the base game was quite an experience. I did a faith/intelligence build, with my main weapons being Sword of Night and Flame and the Prince of Death Staff. Also took the help of summons and spirit ashes to get through to the end. Overall I “cheese”ed my way through. I mainly loved exploring, finding new areas, items, optional bosses, and experimenting with new weapons.

Now, on my second playthrough, I’ve gone for a Strength/Arcane build. Initially I was wielding two Uchigatanas with an occult affinity, and have since switched to Mohg’s Sacred Spear. Two other weapons that I’m enjoying are Marais Executioner sword and the Giant Crusher. Haven’t used summons or spirit ashes, I grew to realize how much I prefer a non mage build. It has been difficult but that IS the fun part. This isn’t my first souls game, I first got introduced to the series with Dark Souls 2.

Currently I’m fighting the Scadutree Avatar boss, the worst boss soo far IMO. Fighting it is absolutely not enjoyable. I thought I beat it after 20 tries only to find out there’s a third phase!

Last edited:
Buying ER is my biggest regret. I thought I had got good enough after beating Demon’s Souls twice (and some other soulslikes) but this game just kicked my butt so hard. I barely made it outside the opening area. It looks incredible but just way too much for my aging reflexes.

Discuss all things Elden Ring!

Apologies if there’s already a thread for this, I could not find it.

I have been playing the DLC lately. I built a new character for it and stopped leveling up around 150, thinking I’ll be too overpowered for the DLC, boy was I wrong lol

My first playthrough of the base game was quite an experience. I did a faith/intelligence build, with my main weapons being Sword of Night and Flame and the Prince of Death Staff. Also took the help of summons and spirit ashes to get through to the end. Overall I “cheese”ed my way through. I mainly loved exploring, finding new areas, items, optional bosses, and experimenting with new weapons.

Now, on my second playthrough, I’ve gone for a Strength/Arcane build. Initially I was wielding two Uchigatanas with an occult affinity, and have since switched to Mohg’s Sacred Spear. Two other weapons that I’m enjoying are Marais Executioner sword and the Giant Crusher. Haven’t used summons or spirit ashes, I grew to realize how much I prefer a non mage build. It has been difficult but that IS the fun part. This isn’t my first souls game, I first got introduced to the series with Dark Souls 2.

Currently I got to the Scadutree Avatar boss, the worst boss soo far IMO. Fighting it is absolutely not enjoyable. I thought I beat it after 20 tries only to find out there’s a third phase!
I think ds2 is just about the less punishing of ds series. I haven't tried demon soul remake though.
Sekiro isnt too bad either for a while at least, although it isn't a typical ds i guess.

Last edited:
Buying ER is my biggest regret. I thought I had got good enough after beating Demon’s Souls twice (and some other soulslikes) but this game just kicked my butt so hard. I barely made it outside the opening area. It looks incredible but just way too much for my aging reflexes.

Barely made it outside the opening area must mean you tried to go and fight the Tree Sentinel right away? Lol

I’m blown away (no pun intended), such a goofy run yet the damage the Envoy’s long horn does is staggering, literally. Also what was up with Melania being soo aggressive here in phase one?! :eek:

Last edited:
Barely made it outside the opening area must mean you tried to go and fight the Tree Sentinel right away? Lol
Didn't everyone?

It was somewhere up at the castle where it got a bit too much. Probably should've backtracked or restarted and headed in another direction, but I just wasn't having fun.

I may return to it at some point, but I have a huge backlog of games where I don't feel I'm banging my head against a wall. Could just accept I'm not good enough.

I do enjoy watching playthroughs, though some people are so good it's frankly taking the piss.

Didn't everyone?

It was somewhere up at the castle where it got a bit too much. Probably should've backtracked or restarted and headed in another direction, but I just wasn't having fun.

I may return to it at some point, but I have a huge backlog of games where I don't feel I'm banging my head against a wall. Could just accept I'm not good enough.

I do enjoy watching playthroughs, though some people are so good it's frankly taking the piss.
May I suggest mods ? There's some mods to make the game easier, or you can grab a cheat engine table + cheat engine and make it as hard or easy as you want it to be. You wont be able to play online with that character but if that doesnt bother you, it's a good way to experience Elden Ring beauty, lore and story with a difficulty customed to your taste. That's what I did anyway and I really enjoy the game.

Last edited:
May I suggest mods ? There's some mods to make the game easier, or you can grab a cheat engine table + cheat engine and make it as hard or easy as you want it to be. You wont be able to play online with that character but if that doesnt bother you, it's a good way to experience Elden Ring beauty, lore and story with a difficulty customed to your taste. That's what I did anyway and I really enjoy the game.
PS5 so not an option :(

I'd probably just go Samurai next time and use the bow a lot more often to stay out of melee range.

PS5 so not an option :(

I'd probably just go Samurai next time and use the bow a lot more often to stay out of melee range.
Make use of jumping heavy attacks.
A stunned enemy wont fight back - this is easier when using a 2handed hammer.

Didnt like Elden Ring too much compared to Demon/Dark Souls.
I dont see a reason why everyone desperatly stretches their worls to no actual content other than saying "hey, we have a mount (because the world is vast)".

I have soo many items that are of significant use and I just never used them. Always thought might need them for “later in the game”. I finished the game twice and those items still haven’t been touched. :lol:

I’m particularly surprised that Rune Arcs work until you die, I did not know that. I thought they were a 30 second/1 minute boost of a Great Rune. I have 99+ of them at this point so will start using them going forward.

Definitely have a serious hoarding issue.

Last edited:
Elden ring’s DLC is such an amazing maze it is unparalelled. The way you can get to new places that you could totally miss if you’re not carefull is mindblowing. So beautifull.

I fought Bayle, still haven’t beat him yet. I now wholeheartedly understand the emotion behind “Curse You Bayle!!”.

I have soo many items that are of significant use and I just never used them. Always thought might need them for “later in the game”. I finished the game twice and those items still haven’t been touched. :lol:

I’m particularly surprised that Rune Arcs work until you die, I did not know that. I thought they were a 30 second/1 minute boost of a Great Rune. I have 99+ of them at this point so will start using them going forward.

Definitely have a serious hoarding issue.
I'm 3/4 of the way through Elden Ring (base game) and still don't fully understand much of it. I don't really know what Great Runes and Rune Arcs or Remembrances do. I've never tried experimenting with them either as there are so many consumable items in the game that are finite, smithing stones, bell bearings etc.

I'm 3/4 of the way through Elden Ring (base game) and still don't fully understand much of it. I don't really know what Great Runes and Rune Arcs or Remembrances do. I've never tried experimenting with them either as there are so many consumable items in the game that are finite, smithing stones, bell bearings etc.
If this is your first souls game, it might be a bit confusing to navigate the system a little.

If it helps:

• Great Runes are a permanent item (only 7 total) that are dropped by demigod bosses (Godrick, Rennala, Radahn, Rykard, Morgott, Mohg, and Malenia). Every Great Rune grants different powers to your character. To be able to equip a great rune, you need to find their respective “divine tower” to activate them. For example, Godrick’s great rune divine tower is found in Limgrave. Once you activate them, equip it at any Grace site through the “great runes” tab and you “turn it on” by consuming a Ruin Arc. The great rune power lasts until your next death. If you die, you'll have to consume a rune arc again to activate it. You can only equip one great rune at a time, and can change which one anytime at any grace sight.

• A Remembrance is a consumable dropped by demigods and some other bosses. They are a single-use item that you use to buy a unique weapon or spell from Enia (old lady that wants to read your fingers) at the Roundtable Hold. Though if you’ve seen the huge walking mausoleums around, they have tiny skulls on their legs which you can break. It causes them to collapse, and in there you can duplicate certain remembrances.
Smithing stones upgrade weapons and are two types:

Regular Smithing Stones:
  • Smithing Stone (1) to (8), Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
  • Upgrades standard weapons.
  • Upgrade levels +1 to +25.
  • Multiple stones (of same kind) required per level.
Somber Smithing Stones:
  • Somber Smithing Stone (1) to (9), Somber Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
  • Upgrades unique and special weapons.
  • Levels +1 to +10.
  • One stone per level.
Be wary, there are only 13 ancient dragon smithing stones and 8 somber ancient dragon smithing stones total. Means you can upgrade 13 standard weapons to their full strength, and 8 special weapons to their max strength.

Last edited:
If this is your first souls game, it might be a bit confusing to navigate the system a little.

If it helps:

• Great Runes are a permanent item (only 7 total) that are dropped by demigod bosses (Godrick, Rennala, Radahn, Rykard, Morgott, Mohg, and Malenia). Every Great Rune grants different powers to your character. To be able to equip a great rune, you need to find their respective “divine tower” to activate them. For example, Godrick’s great rune divine tower is found in Limgrave. Once you activate them, equip it at any Grace site through the “great runes” tab and you “turn it on” by consuming a Ruin Arc. The great rune power lasts until your next death. If you die, you'll have to consume a rune arc again to activate it. You can only equip one great rune at a time, and can change which one anytime at any grace sight.

• A Remembrance is a consumable dropped by demigods and some other bosses. They are a single-use item that you use to buy a unique weapon or spell from Enia (old lady that wants to read your fingers) at the Roundtable Hold. Though if you’ve seen the huge walking mausoleums around, they have tiny skulls on their legs which you can break. It causes them to collapse, and in there you can duplicate certain remembrances.
Smithing stones upgrade weapons and are two types:

Regular Smithing Stones:
  • Smithing Stone (1) to (8), Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
  • Upgrades standard weapons.
  • Upgrade levels +1 to +25.
  • Multiple stones (of same kind) required per level.
Somber Smithing Stones:
  • Somber Smithing Stone (1) to (9), Somber Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
  • Upgrades unique and special weapons.
  • Levels +1 to +10.
  • One stone per level.
Be wary, there are only 13 ancient dragon smithing stones and 8 somber ancient dragon smithing stones total. Means you can upgrade 13 standard weapons to their full strength, and 8 special weapons to their max strength.
At this point i've got 3 or 4 great runes, but never fully understood what they did. 👍

I have bought items off Enia in the past (my character currently wears Radahn's armour) but again, never totally understood the reasoning behind duplicating the Remembrances at any of the mausoleums i've slain along the way - i don't know if you should duplicate them before you get Enia to sell you that power (knowing you lose that remembrance once you purchase the power) or whether you can duplicate it retrospectively? I've been reluctant to do so because of this.

My weapon of choice is also Bloodhound's Fang, which when fully upgraded (i'm just a Somber Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone away from achieving this) is one of the best great swords in the game, so i'm not sure that any other remembrace weapon is worth spending all those smithing stones on to upgrade to have stats anyway close to it.

I'm currently both near to where i can grab a SADSS to fully upgrade my sword and also the boss (Moag?) i'll need to beat to start the DLC content (which i haven't yet bought). But it's been months since i played it last so i will no doubt need to back-track a little to relearn how to play it, because this particular area - Mountain Tops of the Giants - is pretty tough to navigate.

Last edited:
I have bought items off Enia in the past (my character currently wears Radahn's armour) but again, never totally understood the reasoning behind duplicating the Remembrances at any of the mausoleums i've slain along the way - i don't know if you should duplicate them before you get Enia to sell you that power (knowing you lose that remembrance once you purchase the power) or whether you can duplicate it retrospectively? I've been reluctant to do so because of this.

My weapon of choice is also Bloodhound's Fang, which when fully upgraded (i'm just a Somber Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone away from achieving this) is one of the best great swords in the game, so i'm not sure that any other remembrace weapon is worth spending all those smithing stones on to upgrade to have stats anyway close to it.

I'm currently both near to where i can grab a SADSS to fully upgrade my sword and also the boss (Moag?) i'll need to beat to start the DLC content (which i haven't yet bought). But it's been months since i played it last so i will no doubt need to back-track a little to relearn how to play it, because this particular area - Mountain Tops of the Giants - is pretty tough to navigate.
By duplicating a remembrance, you can get both the items it has to offer. Depends on what build you’re going for or if you want to experiment with different weapons etc

You can still duplicate a remembrance even if you have previously used it through Enia. There are two types of Mausoleums, ones with a bell and some with no bell. The bell ones can duplicate any boss remembrance, without bells can only duplicate the remembrance of a non-shard bearer boss.

Bloodhound’s fang is indeed soo much fun, and great to actually play the entire game with, so I get that. What kind of build did you go for btw, and what level are you right now? I’m getting my rear handed to me in the DLC areas at 173 now. :lol:

Mountain top of the giants has lots of those huge creepy finger enemies! Hands down one of the worst in the game. Also when I got to Mohg, the lord of blood, I thought he would be immune to bleed but he somehow isn’t? The bloodhound’s fang will work great to beat him. I guess the saying “if it bleeds we can kill it” really applies here lol

Also I just realized I explained smithing stones, I misread your earlier post and thought you asked how they work, so ignore that.

Last edited:
Bloodhound’s fang is indeed soo much fun, and great to actually play the entire game with, so I get that. What kind of build did you go for btw, and what level are you right now? I’m getting my rear handed to me in the DLC areas at 173 now. :lol:
As i said, it's been far too long since i last played! - i can't recall what level i was at. :lol: I'll try to remember to load it up after work and see what level i am. I can't even remember what kind i build i went for. I think given i'm using a Great Sword and substantial armor, i probably favoured strength.

* edit *

Turns out i'm lvl 129 with a build geared towards dexterity/strength/intelligence. It also appears that i have Godricks great rune equiped, so i must have had some concept of how they worked at some point :dunce:

Last edited:
As i said, it's been far too long since i last played! - i can't recall what level i was at. :lol: I'll try to remember to load it up after work and see what level i am. I can't even remember what kind i build i went for. I think given i'm using a Great Sword and substantial armor, i probably favoured strength.

* edit *

Turns out i'm lvl 129 with a build geared towards dexterity/strength/intelligence. It also appears that i have Godricks great rune equiped, so i must have had some concept of how they worked at some point :dunce:
129! You must be almost end game then. I’m kind of tempted to create a new “ooga booga” strength build myself. Just crush anything and everything through the game lol

Back