Elon's Antics

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 1,346 comments
1724935944012.png

A Brazil Supreme Court judge warned Elon Musk Wednesday that he would have X suspended in Latin America's largest nation if the billionaire didn't name a legal representative for the platform in the country within 24 hours.

(Might have cost less to continue with "content moderation"?)

At the time of posting this, the deadline is less than 7.5 hours away.

Last edited:
The company said Bobby Allyn, one of its Tech reporters, had received a response from X saying the link’s blockage was a “false positive,” and the issue had been corrected.

So is this like when Putin comes out and said "no actually Ukraine didn't sink our warship it sank due to our own incompetence."

Is it weird for a nativist parasite to be a non-native and to be so compelled to comment, incorrectly, on the laws of a country of which it isn't native?

Screenshot-20240829-140453-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20240829-140536-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20240829-140616-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Seems like it should be weird.
Wasn't Musk one of those who overstayed a visa or am I thinking of someone else?

There's a lot of speculation that the reason Musk is trying to get Trump into the White House is because Musk, too, wants to stay out of jail.

His decade-long torrent of false claims about "Full" Self Driving and autonomy in Teslas could land him in deep trouble, and Trump may be planning to pardon him out of it.

Tesla website has removed fanciful blog posts about FSD in the last week or so.

All of them are engaged in the sort of BS spreading that discredits democracy, elections, vaccines and etc.
So they are his paying userbase and he'd rather accept $42 a month than lose a bigger audience from Brazil. 6053D Chess.

The Wall Street Journal has analyzed Musk's Tweets and how they have become hyper-political since 2019

Link to MSN report below, followed by numerical summary

View attachment 1385069
I find this interesting, as it's not something I had any figures on, but we were talking about Musk in work just last week. Some of the guys were talking about how before COVID (or thereabouts) he, Musk, was more commonly considered a bit of an eccentric bllionnaire with philanthorpist tendacies, wheras now he's considered more of a loon.

How fair you judge that asessment to be will no doubt depend largely on your own political opinions I guess, but personally, I find some of what Musk says and does amusing, some of it interesting, and some of absolutely baffling. He's quite the enigma IMO, by all accounts a very smart person, but he sometimes comes out with stuff that's so illogical, it really baffles me.

From my experience, Americans have their fair share of different opinions and idiologies, but there are certain fundamental differences between US and UK culture, that whatever side of the political divide you sit on, left or right, some of these are usually there in one way or another. And those differences inform our culture and thinking patterns to a certain degree. I find it all very interesting, but Elon sits in a certiain niche, that's fairly unique to him IMO.

He's an odd, interesting and also confusing person, all at the same time IMO. He does some very good things, some very showy, place the spotlight on him things and some very odd or disagreeable things. Take away his platform, and I think you end up with an eccentric billionaire who occasionnaly engages in philathropic work. He was probably better that way.

Last edited:
by all accounts a very smart person
I think that, at best, he's niche smart in a very specific subset of programming. He appears to have a layman's grasp of most other programming, but I can't definitively say he didn't create the Zip2 product (which was in essence two other existing directory products combined) so I have to assume he has some programming knowledge.

In general smart terms he's a buffoon, and in most cases "his" innovations have just been throwing money at avenues previously explored and abandoned as too expensive to be viable at the time - largely by public-funded entities.

For example, reusable rockets have been a thing since... rockets. Every Apollo lander was made to land itself under power and then take off again, so we absolutely knew how to do it already. The idea of making them for generic space launches when you're just looking for thrust-to-weight and can make new ones as fast as they're used is a non-starter for a public-funded entity because of the expense of everything to get a rocket that has to carry more fuel than is needed to launch just so that it can land itself. Turns out that they look cool and if you hurl money at them and livestream it, win.

When ideas he might actually have come up with independently are pursued they turn out to be rubbish (and he calls you a paedophile if you say so), literally just trains, or the Cybertruck. Which I suppose is actually just the first category again.

Someone I know in the real world told me they read a book about him (I assume it was the 2015 biography by Ashlee Vance; the timing fits) and he had all these amazing ideas about humanity needing to become a multi-planetary society in order to survive. It largely showed me that this person had never really read any other books or watched any sci-fi, and that - at some point - Musk had. Nothing in the Vance biography was revelatory to anyone who's read or watched any science fiction ever (except Star Wars, which is sci-fi-presenting fantasy).

It's never been a surprise to me that he's descended into crazy the way he has. The speed and venom of it perhaps is a bit of a startler, but he's a rich-as-Croesus child of apartheid (on the white side) who's never had anyone around to say no to him (or anyone who says no to him around for long).

For example, reusable rockets have been a thing since... rockets. Every Apollo lander was made to land itself under power and then take off again, so we absolutely knew how to do it already. The idea of making them for generic space launches when you're just looking for thrust-to-weight and can make new ones as fast as they're used is a non-starter for a public-funded entity because of the expense of everything to get a rocket that has to carry more fuel than is needed to launch just so that it can land itself. Turns out that they look cool and if you hurl money at them and livestream it, win.

Has spacex even demonstrated that this is economically advantageous? Last time I looked into it, it was still questionable.

Has spacex even demonstrated that this is economically advantageous? Last time I looked into it, it was still questionable.
Not saying it is or isn't advantageous, but I've tried to look into this briefly in the past, and it seems to be a minefield of metrics, parameters and sources.

Cost of launching to the ISS versus using the Russians seems to be a common talking point, which SpaceX appears to have bought down the cost of, however the Russian benchmark price roughly doubled in the years prior to SpaceX taking it on - so the 'saving' might in reality be rampant profiteering because there isn't enough competition to bring the market price down. But then again, a lot of the costs that are bandied around seem to be heavily dependent on mission parameters that aren't directly related to the launch system.

Another thing which seemed to be glossed over, was how many of SpaceX's launches were to satisfy their own demand - without Starlink inflated launch numbers, the cost reduction through reusability may actually be much lower.

without Starlink inflated launch numbers, the cost reduction through reusability may actually be much lower.
Im not at all following on the topic of space race stuff, but according to this 1year old info:

I do understand that Electron 9 still is better suited for (small) satellite launches?
If I did misinterpret something there, correct me if you like and care.

If I did misinterpret something there, correct me if you like and care.
Those are all similar numbers to those I've seen elsewhere. It's methodology that matters though, I'm not sure if all these are based on apples to apples to comparison. I also massively question the validity of a list that includes Musk's $10,000,000 claim in it's numbers, given that cost is currently fictitious.

Reminder -

"I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."

Source:- https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/elon-musk-to-acquire-twitter-301532245.html

Back