Explosions in Jakarta

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 44 comments
Hopefully that was a-joke-gone-wrong or just badly phrased.

OT: Daesh are claiming responsibility for the attacks and say they were an attempt to 'mimic Paris'. BBC.

Don't be so hard on him, it's natural for someone to point out victims of such events from their own country. The BBC probably mentioned how many British were among the dead during the Paris attacks, and I vaguely remember them doing the same after that Tunisian beach full of tourists was attacked too.

DK
Don't be so hard on him, it's natural for someone to point out victims of such events from their own country. The BBC probably mentioned how many British were among the dead during the Paris attacks, and I vaguely remember them doing the same after that Tunisian beach full of tourists was attacked too.

Fair enough, I guess it's more the fault of the source. It rather reminds me of the parochial (and sadly mythical) headline "North-East Man Lost In Shipwreck" when a Scottish man was lost with the Titanic.

My condolences to the Jakarta police officer and Canadian who were killed today. It was reported that a Canadian was killed and since then they have confirmed the death of the officer. I was only posting what was available.
Next time search the net thoroughly to see if there are more victims other than Canadians. You see we don't want you to be politically incorrect and create the appearance that you think Canadian lives are somehow more important and therefore the only one's worth mentioning as if that is somehow magically true by inference because you didn't mention any other nationalities. You must love and mourn everyone equally no matter where they are from lest you incur the wrath of the PC Posting Police.

/s

My condolences to the Jakarta police officer and Canadian who were killed today. It was reported that a Canadian was killed and since then they have confirmed the death of the officer. I was only posting what was available.
There was also other people died than those two. 5 Locals and 2 foreigners were dead. So condolences to them too.

@Johnnypenso What? Also kind of inappropriate.

Last edited:
There was also other people died than those two. 5 Locals and 2 foreigners were dead. So condolences to them too.

@Johnnypenso What? Also kind of inappropriate.
Let's keep beating the guy up even though he already explained that the article he read when he learned of the incident was from Canada's national broadcaster and only mentioned the Canadian was killed and no one else.

Let's keep beating the guy up even though he already explained that the article he read when he learned of the incident was from Canada's national broadcaster and only mentioned the Canadian was killed and no one else.
I get it. It happens on every countries. But atleast inform him in some manner. He is just sharing his condolences, not enforcing his views or anything.

Last edited:
Sounds like this might actually be ISIL Funded, police in indonesia have tracked money coming from Syria to one of the bombers bank accounts.

So... I take it you guys probably had seen or heard how some people still sell stuff around the place in the midst of the terror attacks.

Me myself is speechless at how confusing it is.

So... I take it you guys probably had seen or heard how some people still sell stuff around the place in the midst of the terror attacks.

Being in Indonesia right now I can tell you it's mainly due to the fact business goes before everything, it's not exactly a western country where people have the option to not work now and then, it's a 24/7 economy.

Being in Indonesia right now I can tell you it's mainly due to the fact business goes before everything, it's not exactly a western country where people have the option to not work now and then, it's a 24/7 economy.
Yeah i know that, i'm an Indonesian myself. It's just i wonder what others think lol

Apparently after the investigation, among 7 kiled, 4 are terrorists (all locals), 2 are normal locals (one civilian and one police), and one is Canadian. @killerjimbag make a good point on that to his credit.

Well, there is now many articles explaining the difference between the "optimism" (Cheer people up even when situation gone down) and "positivism" (Only accepting positive aspects whilst dismissing negative aspects).

Not scared after that nightmare is the former. Taking the selfies and making jokes and memes about it is the latter.

The latter is what bothers me.

This pitcures always cracks me up for some reason:
Bom-Sarinah-hanya-di-Indonesia.jpg

Not exactly. Workweek is pretty much the same as the "west" as i remember (different per workplace). Its just many low to middle class people are into seeking many opportunities to make a cash on.

Back