F1 2020 General Discussion ThreadF1 2020 

Great. Thanks for the tip.
I should also note that on the second page of your MFD are the options to change your pit strategy on the fly, so if you don't want them to replace your slightly damaged front wing or need to make sure you're getting the right tires that's where to look. A bit tricky to use under green, but highly useful when the safety car is out and you know you need to change plans.

I should also note that on the second page of your MFD are the options to change your pit strategy on the fly, so if you don't want them to replace your slightly damaged front wing or need to make sure you're getting the right tires that's where to look. A bit tricky to use under green, but highly useful when the safety car is out and you know you need to change plans.
Are you referring to the PC version when you make mention of the safety car? The reason I'm asking is because I've never seen a safety car on the PS4

Are you referring to the PC version when you make mention of the safety car? The reason I'm asking is because I've never seen a safety car on the PS4
It's turned off by default in the session options, you have to enable it manually.

Yes safety car has to be turned on for it to appear during the races on PS4.

Have not had much chance to continue with F1 2020 since my previous posts but I am hoping I will get myself some time to race this week and see how my first My Team race goes at Australia GP.

I am also planning to go for the parts reliability approach to developing my team in it's first year and adjust the rest of my game accordingly depending how the results go.

Patch 1.0.5 released for PS4
* The character walking on water during the introduction cutscene at Australia now correctly has a boat to stand on

No more Australian Jesus? Uninstalled, worst game ever, sending 0% Metacritic rating now.

Seriously though, they got the incorrect qualy times and tire compound glitch sorted out, that's the important thing.

Is Martin Brundle's voice in this game? I'm just getting Crofty and Anthony Davidson at the end of races.

Unfortunately not

* The character walking on water during the introduction cutscene at Australia now correctly has a boat to stand on

No more Australian Jesus? Uninstalled, worst game ever, sending 0% Metacritic rating now.

Seriously though, they got the incorrect qualy times and tire compound glitch sorted out, that's the important thing.

rip Australian Jesus

Last edited by a moderator:
So is there a bug with patch 1.05? It installed but i got stuck with the communicating with servers screen when I tried to play the game yesterday
and there appeared to be no connection issues with my router.

I shut it off and will try again later in the week but what was the issue with the qualifying times/tyre wear because I tried the tyre management and couldn't hit purple or green at all so maybe I should restart my practice session again and see if I can do better this time?

On that subject when I did those tyre wear tests in 2019 I always found that I had to be very light on my steering/accelerate but it seems even doing that is much harder this year but could be the bug in question I guess?

This guy has nailed a Toyota livery and badge.

V1.05 just landed for consoles and landed on PC earlier this week.

F1® 2020 PATCH NOTES – v1.05

Patch 1.05 is now out on PC, PS4 and Xbox. You can check out the notes for this patch below:

• Fixed a crash that would occur after beating a rival in Time Trial
  • Players will no longer be incorrectly disqualified for not using the mandatory tyres during a race
  • Qualifying times seen on the grid rundown are now correct
  • Gearbox wear is no longer scaled based on season length
  • Fixed the missing heads on the podium in Multiplayer
  • Speeding when the Virtual Safety Car is ending will now correctly penalise clients in a multiplayer session
  • When using a wheel car controls will no longer control the camera at race start
  • Xbox One Hero stats for Race Wins, Podiums and Laps Completed have been reset and will no longer be affected by or affect F1 2019 stats.
  • Vietnam track introduction video now shows the correct number of DRS zones
  • The character walking on water during the introduction cutscene at Australia now correctly has a boat to stand on
  • Fixed Sponsor logos on suits appearing stretched in certain conditions.
  • Fixed several end of season Sponsor payments.
  • Improved abrupt Force Feedback issue under braking on Direct Drive wheels
  • A use flashback prompt will now be shown the first time the player goes off track or collides with another vehicle
  • Numerous text and localisation fixes
  • Various other stability and bug fixes

Last edited:
When finding the right AI setting, is it best to use a front-runner, midfield, or back of the pack team?

For example, I was initially driving the Haas at Catalyuna to set the AI. I was able to match Grosjean's time with a setting of 85. However, when I tested again with the Ferrari, I had to bump it down to 75 to match Leclerc's time. All other settings were constant (weather, time of day, car setup).

Not sure if I should set the AI to 80, or test with a midfield team (e.g. McLaren or Renault).

When finding the right AI setting, is it best to use a front-runner, midfield, or back of the pack team?

For example, I was initially driving the Haas at Catalyuna to set the AI. I was able to match Grosjean's time with a setting of 85. However, when I tested again with the Ferrari, I had to bump it down to 75 to match Leclerc's time. All other settings were constant (weather, time of day, car setup).

Not sure if I should set the AI to 80, or test with a midfield team (e.g. McLaren or Renault).

Difficult to give a definitive formula as each car is slightly different to drive and so on. The Haas may be more stable and easier to drive than the Ferrari for example. But I'd perhaps say try Red Bull on Silverstone and see if you finish 5th? :D

In all reality its trial and error. I'm around 88 at the moment having started on 85 like normal. Usually end up around 95-98 by the time I'm fully comfortable with the game (2/3 seasons in)

I'm trying to kind of figure out the same thing. Although I'm at a lot lower number than probably anybody else. There's no way I would ever attempt to go up into the 80's or higher. 70 is where I had it with F1 2017 but 70 in F1 2020 and the Ferrari was getting beat by 2 seconds per lap by the Mercedes.

It appears I'm going to have to use one number for Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull. One number for Racing Point, Renault, and other mid fielders. One number for Haas, Alfa, Williams. I'm looking for a good chance to win with each car but so far it's just feeling it out for now. 60 puts the mid fielders level with the big boys in qualifying and makes a very competitive race but it's a little too low for Ferrari & Red Bull.

I have learned one thing and that's to not pay any attention to practice times. I can be 2 seconds slower in a mid field car than the big boys in practice but when qualifying and the race comes we're neck and neck.

I don't think I'm going to fool with the manual ERS & fuel mix things. I've watched a few tutorials and it's just too much for me to try and deal with and try to concentrate on racing. Even in automatic I still kind of have to watch what it's doing because in the last few laps I'll see the overtake light come on so I'll push and I've stolen a couple of fastest laps on the last lap. It's like it knows we need to push to try and get that fastest lap so it's saying "let's go!!!"

I'm trying to kind of figure out the same thing. Although I'm at a lot lower number than probably anybody else. There's no way I would ever attempt to go up into the 80's or higher. 70 is where I had it with F1 2017 but 70 in F1 2020 and the Ferrari was getting beat by 2 seconds per lap by the Mercedes.

It appears I'm going to have to use one number for Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull. One number for Racing Point, Renault, and other mid fielders. One number for Haas, Alfa, Williams. I'm looking for a good chance to win with each car but so far it's just feeling it out for now. 60 puts the mid fielders level with the big boys in qualifying and makes a very competitive race but it's a little too low for Ferrari & Red Bull.

I have learned one thing and that's to not pay any attention to practice times. I can be 2 seconds slower in a mid field car than the big boys in practice but when qualifying and the race comes we're neck and neck.

I don't think I'm going to fool with the manual ERS & fuel mix things. I've watched a few tutorials and it's just too much for me to try and deal with and try to concentrate on racing. Even in automatic I still kind of have to watch what it's doing because in the last few laps I'll see the overtake light come on so I'll push and I've stolen a couple of fastest laps on the last lap. It's like it knows we need to push to try and get that fastest lap so it's saying "let's go!!!"

Yeah, the practice times don't mean too much. Judging race pace requires too many variables. The qualifying time is what I'm using to judge as it dictates outright pace.

After thinking about it, I think @MagpieRacer racer has a good idea. Hop into the Red Bull to see if I can qualify 5th or 6th, and adjust the AI as needed. Plus after browsing through the Reddit and Codemasters forums, the AI's pace will vary slightly from track-to-track (even though it's set on a static number) due to driver and car preferences/setup. Plus, when you run My Team and upgrade your car/team, it will need to be adjusted as needed.

FYI - Every point in AI adjustment is equal to one tenth of a second. So, if you plan to be up front with each car/team, it will vary wildly. Just from my brief experience with using the Haas vs. Ferrari, the lap time differential was at least 1.3 seconds with the same setup on the same circuit. The two cars have slight handling and traction characteristics.

Last edited:
Anything above 100 feels like the ai gets much more battery life from the ers than the player does.

I still like 89 but I am smashing my team mate and getting points I probably shouldn’t be getting. I’ll bump it up in season 2, I want to keep the AI consistent throughout the season so it’s easier to learn the game.

Last edited:
Decided to take a bit of time off from MyTeam to try and finish the full Formula 2 championship, and man has it taught me that I still have a fair amount to learn about where and when to pick my battles.

I think I've thrown away at least two sprint race victories so far just because I wanted to get clear of traffic early and burned up my tires too fast, forcing an early pit stop. Which of course means dealing with traffic on the second set that has less grip. Doesn't help that since it's the 2019 season, the horrible purple supersofts that fall off after four laps are also still in use. Managing those things while still keeping a good pace is like juggling chainsaws.

Well finally got back into the game after the various communication failures over the past few days.

Started my career with the F2 3 race teaser and had a pretty good set of results considering I was also learning manual transmission!

1st race at Red Bull Ring I managed to get into 1st on T1 though almost had a coming together with Latifi but managed to survive with some minor
wing damage to take the win on my first outing with the F2. Had to do a few flashbacks due to some power slides round corners as still getting used to not accelerating too early on the corner exit.

2nd race at Monza I had a very good start and managed to get into 1st place on T1 again though this time I got a warning for corner cutting but no penalty though this time Latifi was in the zone for most of the race and kept the pressure up until the last lap when he seemed to back off, wasn't complaining about that so 2 back to back wins.

3rd race at Abu Dhabi is not a favourite track and I didn't start well and had a few scrapes so the best I could finish was 3rd which meant I came second in the F2 championship behind Latifi but I was happy enough with that! :cheers:

Took Stroll's spot at Racing Point so Australian GP awaits tonight!

Done with my first two 10 race seasons at 92 AI with Lamborghini F1. Mick Schumacher is my teammate.

Managed to win the driver's and constructors championships in season 2. Mick was still nowhere but his pace is now at 90 and it seems he is going to challenge me from now on.

That said the AI is dumb...if you manage to get into the top 10 on Q2 with mediums it is race over...you just have to stay with them at the start of the race...then when all the AI move to hard tyres at their pit stop you will either match their times with your worn mediums or even increase your lead slightly. Then pit 2-3 laps later than your strategy and blast them off the track with softs. Every single race.

Going to increase AI to 95 for season 3 and see how it goes. Upgrading your car is way too easy and I'm at a point where I can just save all my resource points to save any regulation changes to any departments and keep on dominating.

Mode has huge potential though but needs a lot of immersion and made much more difficult to reach the top.

Going to increase AI to 95 for season 3 and see how it goes.
If you're running an AI level at anything below 90, it's a cakewalk because they brake way too early and lose too much time in the corners. And considering you finished two seasons at an easier difficulty, I doubt anything other than 100 or higher will give you much of a challenge now.

1.06 patch notes, live on PC now, coming to Xbox and PS4 later this week. Includes the black Mercedes.

F1® 2020 Patch Notes

Hello Patch 1.06! We have a treat for you in this patch - you'll see that this brings in the brand new black Mercedes AMG Petronas livery (we think black really suits). PC players this is now live for you, if you're on consoles, we are aiming to get this to you in the next couple of days.

The black livery isn't everything in this patch, here's what else is in here:

Mercedes car and driver suits updated to the black livery.

Fixed an issue in unranked multiplayer where a host disconnection resulted in AI having unrealistic lap times.

Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll now wear the correct gloves.

Fixed a progression issue in My Team career which could occur after an Invitational event.

Fixed a progression issue in My Team career which could occur at the end of a season.

The Savant sponsor will now correctly pay out.

Various other stability and bug fixes.

If you're running an AI level at anything below 90, it's a cakewalk because they brake way too early and lose too much time in the corners. And considering you finished two seasons at an easier difficulty, I doubt anything other than 100 or higher will give you much of a challenge now.

:lol::lol:

I'm at 60 and it's everything I can do to hang on there. But I still think I'm losing a lot of time because the steering is so spongey.

I only do single race weekends but I've been doing full qualifying. I thought I would go to just one qualifying session but got to thinking that doing it that way would take away the strategic element of the starting on the tire you set quickest lap in Q2 with. With just one session I guess you could do the same thing but you would risk qualifying further down the field if you chose mediums but didn't have a Q3 to run softs.

I'm still trying to figure out the alternate pit strategy thing because yesterday the default was start on mediums and do 2 stops for softs which I approved. But both Mercedes pitted about 3 laps in front of me and put on hard tires to go the rest of the way with. Which I still thought was ok since I would be on quicker softs later in the race. The call comes closer to the second stop that an alternative strategy was available. I just hit "X" to look at it and it was going to mediums instead of softs. I definitely didn't want to do that so I thought I just let it time out and disappear. But when the call came to pit engineer said I would be going on mediums. Did I approve that by just looking at it?

I’m at Spa in season 1 and on my 7th gearbox. The durability improvements don’t seem to be doing much. All races at 25%.

I’m at Spa in season 1 and on my 7th gearbox. The durability improvements don’t seem to be doing much. All races at 25%.
I run myteam at 50% and have never worn a gearbox fully on the races you’re allotted for each. For some reason, a lot of people who I’ve seen post this issue use a g29 as well

I finished my 2 seasons at 92. Did Australia last night at 94...quali was a mess and I finished 14th, 8th and 3rd in the final quali session. AI strategy was a mess again and Leclerc running first, about 4 seconds ahead of me in 2nd pitted one lap before I did...but put on hards whilst I went for mediums. After coming out of the pits I was in 3rd, 5 and 3 seconds behind Leclerc and Bottas respectively. With my mediums I made short work of them and finished 1st by a narrow margin of 0.605. Was a great and fun race.

Only issue was that I got a 5 second penalty from speeding in the pitlane...didn't get any notice on screen or message from Jeff. On top of that I'm 100% sure I slowed down enough before the stripe when I went into the pits. Remember thinking I lost time there for braking too early...

2nd it is though, and was a bigger challenge overall which I enjoyed.

Did a few races at 100% AI in Myteam mode (season 2) .
- Paul Ricard under the maximum rain possible in the game during the full race, finished 11.
- Austria: 3rd (good qualif under the rain, and ever managed to overtake Albon quite late in the race for the podium.
- Silverstone I'm dead last in quali and by far the slowest on the grid. My top speed is very low compared to the others and my best lap during the race is 2.5secs behind my team mate Alesi!

Then I realised I never looked at the car setup, never had to at the lower AI levels. But god it makes a huge difference at 100% ! The thing is I'm not doing the free practices, it's just too long for the little time I have. I'll just make calls for the quali between standard/more speed / much more top speed and see how it goes from there...

Good fund this mode, but a bit desperate to see all the rushed improvements failing miserably without exception, when the odds are "only" 56%. Lost a lot of good points with that, trying to make a difference.

Did a few races at 100% AI in Myteam mode (season 2) .
- Paul Ricard under the maximum rain possible in the game during the full race, finished 11.
- Austria: 3rd (good qualif under the rain, and ever managed to overtake Albon quite late in the race for the podium.
- Silverstone I'm dead last in quali and by far the slowest on the grid. My top speed is very low compared to the others and my best lap during the race is 2.5secs behind my team mate Alesi!

Then I realised I never looked at the car setup, never had to at the lower AI levels. But god it makes a huge difference at 100% ! The thing is I'm not doing the free practices, it's just too long for the little time I have. I'll just make calls for the quali between standard/more speed / much more top speed and see how it goes from there...

Good fund this mode, but a bit desperate to see all the rushed improvements failing miserably without exception, when the odds are "only" 56%. Lost a lot of good points with that, trying to make a difference.

Silverstone is an odd one, it's difficulty seems to be way off compared to other circuits. At 88 I qualified in the 3rd row and finished 2nd on Austria, at Silverstone I couldn't get off the back row and finished 20th.

Silverstone is an odd one, it's difficulty seems to be way off compared to other circuits. At 88 I qualified in the 3rd row and finished 2nd on Austria, at Silverstone I couldn't get off the back row and finished 20th.

It varies a lot between tracks, it's kinda strange. Silverstone is not the easiest track but it's not the hardest one either, so it's not on us I guess.

Back