Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 815 comments
Received the replacement base today. It appears new but the serial number on the base itself does not match the serial number on the box. This new one also has coil whine whereas my current one is dead silent. Oh well. It came with 2.0.1.4 base and 1.1.0.1 WQR firmware which I updated to 2.1.0.3 and 1.1.0.3

IMG_1335.jpeg

That sucks about coil whine, my OG base was quiet. I got my replacement in a small box the other day, haven't had time to even open it and look at it. And might not for another few days. I'm not going to be happy if this new base has loud coil whine or has disconnect or freezing issues. I assumed the new bases were all good to go. 🤞

@hrtrob Sorry, I missed your direct message from 2 weeks ago. I just replied and shared my experience with you. =)

For those who might want to know, I received a new replacement DD+ base and I've returned my original base for FANATEC's analysis. In short, the new replacement base is awesome! No coil whine and most importantly, for me at least, there is no "grainy" sandpaper feel when the wheel is turned left or right! The replacement base is truly butter smooth! The base firmware that came with it is from PC Driver 455 (2.0.1.4) and the WQR firmware is the test hot fix (1.1.0.3) that Fanatec had volunteer’s test. They had to have loaded it from their German headquarters knowing that combo firmware is the most stable at present. The firmware from PC driver 457 and the test WQR "hot fix" resulted in my original base developing the "soft disconnect" issue, which seems to have perplexed their software/hardware engineers. I suspect there's a batch of bases that have an out of spec internal component that is not playing nice. Anyway, glad to have the replacement. It's been a true joy to play with for the last couple of days.

Last edited:
FMW
@hrtrob Sorry, I missed your direct message from 2 weeks ago. I just replied and shared my experience with you. =)

For those who might want to know, I received a new replacement DD+ base and I've returned my original base for FANATEC's analysis. In short, the new replacement base is awesome! No coil whine and most importantly, for me at least, there is no "grainy" sandpaper feel when the wheel is turned left or right! The replacement base is truly butter smooth! The base firmware that came with it is from PC Driver 455 (2.0.1.4) and the WQR firmware is the test hot fix (1.1.0.3) that Fanatec had volunteer’s test. They had to have loaded it from their German headquarters knowing that combo firmware is the most stable at present. The firmware from PC driver 457 and the test WQR "hot fix" resulted in my original base developing the "soft disconnect" issue, which seems to have perplexed their software/hardware engineers. I suspect there's a batch of bases that have an out of spec internal component that is not playing nice. Anyway, glad to have the replacement. It's been a true joy to play with for the last couple of days.
So did Fanatec send you a replacement before you returned your original base?

Can you tell me what you told them in order to get your RMA?

DM me if you prefer to keep it private. 👍

So did Fanatec send you a replacement before you returned your original base?

Can you tell me what you told them in order to get your RMA?

DM me if you prefer to keep it private. 👍
Yes, they did. I also sent my original base back to Fanatec within 24 hours of receiving the replacement. They included the return shipping labels in the replacement base. I received an email this morning, they already received it. Keep in mind, I did not go through the normal RMA process, although, I did submit an RMA back in early March, which had not been answered yet. (I realize they are completely back logged right now. I also think their RMA process through their website might be a little bugged. I got several errors on their site before the RMA ticket submitted)

While waiting for a response, my base worked perfectly fine to use, so I used it a lot. It just had two quirks that I wanted answers to. The two quirks were “coil-whine”, and turning the wheel left or right from dead center felt grainy. Anyway, I frequent the official Fanatec forums. Long story short, my base had developed the “soft disconnection” issue after loading FANATEC’s latest release candidate firmware. I only loaded it because it fixed the “hard disconnect” issue that people were experiencing, though it never happened to me. In either case, I loaded it to make sure my base was up to date. Oddly, my base developed the “soft disconnect” issue with this firmware. I tried the “hotfix” that was offered on their forums for customers willing to partake in evaluating it. It didn’t work, so after submitting a detailed report, their software/hardware people via DM kindly offered to exchange my base so they could analyze it. Apparently, the hotfix solved the soft disconnect issue for most people.

At the end of the day, I got lucky. Their firmware/hardware engineer got involved because I partook in evaluating the “hotfix”. It looks like not too many people did.

Whatever issue some of these first production bases are having seems to be hard to find the root cause. I feel their pain. I’ve also seen that people on their forums are often not helpful because they don’t clearly articulate the issue or clearly articulate answers to questions their forum moderators are asking.

Back