Favorite Engines/Transmissions

I don't like crate engines. Built not bought and all that.

Why the hate on crate engines? They aren't bad. Drop in and go. Sure it's better to build it the way you want but for quick and easy power get a crate.

You do realize how terrible 302 "H.O" heads are right?

When I said small-headed, I was thinking AFR 185s... Which have plenty of flow but won't wind up weak down low.

Got 'em for free, but they are better than stock 351W heads, better airflow. At least I think they are HO heads, might be just plain old 302 heads that have been ported. Maybe the Block is an HO (wait it can't be because it's from 1975, unless the old block we blew up was, but a casting of 351 WCP1 don't help and I can't see the other side of the block for the year). I heard my dad say something about HO and heads in the same sentence once when we were talking about it.

You mean, aside from it being a monstrously heavy pig and being classed as a big-block. And having the same problem as the small-blocks... Which is that since everything has to be replaced, you buy parts and make them into an engine, not buy an engine and add parts. :lol:

They aren't bad engines, but the heads are garbage.

It'll take more than a head swap... You're also looking at a different intake, different carb (or an EFI setup, pick your poison), headers, and so on.

Well obviously yes but there is power to be gained from a head swap. Got a Holley 4160 4 barrel on it now (maybe 10 horsepower increase from a carb swap), '69 Mach 1 intake too. (It's a truck engine, don't want to build another after blowing up the last 351W we had)

Show me a 460 that gains 150hp from heads only, with everything else just bolted back up and retuned so it doesn't hate itself. You won't.

Not nessicarily a 460, smaller engines can do this. May not be 150HP, may be less. None the less, there is a good amount of power to be gained. I'm not saying it's not possible, condition of the engine with a rebuild could help.

Emissions killed them. Oh well.

Yeah, it sucks. That and the oil crisis of the mid '70s.

Not "old Ford rumble". FEs are, well, different.

FE's maybe, but most of them sound like they are cammed. My buddy has a '92 Bronco with a 5.8 EFI and that thing has a nice purr to it, and it's bone stock. (Well 335's and 385's, haven't worked much on the rest). I've still got a lot to learn though.

No, they make manual valvebody C4s and C6s. That does not make it a manual transmission, it makes it an automatic that requires manual gear selection.

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I thought I read something before though that said they had C6 manuals...Guess not. Thanks for clarifying that bud.

Provided you can make a converter that holds up to it, there's no reason a trans capable of holding, say, 400 ft-lb can't hold up to 800hp... At a little over 10,000rpm. (exaggerated example)

Very true.

Well you can believe in the myth all you want, it isn't going to make it true. A 3,800lbs car with 475whp is simply not going to run a 14.08 second quarter mile. And that is the BEST I've seen for the big boss, most contemporary performance tests were in the 15 second range. For the record, that is slower than a similar weight 03/04 Mach 1 with a paltry 275-290whp, and much, much slower than a similar weight and similar *claimed* power Shelby GT500. It is more in line with a similar weight and probably similar power (280-300whp stock) Dodge Charger/Magnum R/T.

By the way 'shop teachers' are the most effective medium for automotive-related myth. Do not believe a word they say.

He has been a shop teacher for a while and worked in an actual auto shop for 35+ years and is a very well respected man around these parts who knows his ****. But ok.

Engines:

VR38DETT
LS7
M 159
K20
Coyote (Ford 5.0)
Oh wait, thats more than 3

While I can't find any specific transmissions, I will say that a 6-speed manual is always good way to go. And here in America, they are also good theft protection:tup: I used to not like dual-clutch gearboxes, but I am a convert, I think are awesome. Maybe its my racing driver self, but I loooove sequential shift transmissions, in my mind they are the best because race car.

You're a racing car driver?! WOW! Who do you race for?

Same that's in the 350Z and G35

No, not the same. Yes, they were all 3.5L VQs but there were many different things about them, even between years of the same model car. The 3.5L is when the VQ started going downhill, sadly.

SVX
You're a racing car driver?! WOW! Who do you race for?

I used to race, but I ran of of money. Currently I am one of Nissan's test drivers, but they stuck me on the road cars:grumpy: I get to have a go in a race car every now and then. Right about this time last month, I was at an undisclosed location doing some testing for a next-generation car, I can't say anything about it, but trust me, it will be awesome.

My favourite are three of the hardiest, longest lasting engines.

Mercedes OM606. Straight 6 diesel.(modular engine with 604 (4cylinder) and 605 (5 cylinder) variants, available as NA and turbo)
BMW M30 Straight 6 petrol. (Also modular with the M20 (4 cylinder as found in the BMW 2002 and in Formula 1 cars making +1500hp) and available in various capacities.)
Toyota 22R. Needs no explanation.

Back