FIA clarifies Gran Turismo relationship and future

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 35 comments
United States
Iowa
pfei
"Speaking at a launch event for the Motorsport Games at the French Grand Prix on Saturday, however, the FIA has made clear that the relationship with Gran Turismo is far from over.

Speaking exclusively to Motorsport.com, Frederic Bertrand, the FIA’s director of Formula E and Innovative Sport Activities Department, explained that the governing body had agreed with Gran Turismo chief Kazunori Yamauchi to put things on hold until the GT7 platform was more stable."

"Speaking at a launch event for the Motorsport Games at the French Grand Prix on Saturday, however, the FIA has made clear that the relationship with Gran Turismo is far from over.

Speaking exclusively to Motorsport.com, Frederic Bertrand, the FIA’s director of Formula E and Innovative Sport Activities Department, explained that the governing body had agreed with Gran Turismo chief Kazunori Yamauchi to put things on hold until the GT7 platform was more stable."

The FIA being what it is, just motorsport’s version of FIFA or the IOC, PD is better off without them.

We the gamers certainly are. I just want PD to focus on providing a better game to play. Not this vanity stuff.

Last edited:
Motorsport Games owns the Motorsport website. They also own rFactor2, official game of Formula E.

The timing of this is suspect. FIA was not in the game at release in March. 3 weeks later they announced the Fomula E partnership with rFactor2. And now they state the reason is stability.

Not saying there aren't stability issues. But this sounds more to me like they were waiting till it was the hot topic to use it as an excuse.

Motorsport Games owns the Motorsport website. They also own rFactor2, official game of Formula E.

The timing of this is suspect. FIA was not in the game at release in March. 3 weeks later they announced the Fomula E partnership with rFactor2. And now they state the reason is stability.

Not saying there aren't stability issues. But this sounds more to me like they were waiting till it was the hot topic to use it as an excuse.
Not the same Motorsport games (I know, confusing). The event the FIA has is called "Motorsport Games" (and its using ACC, a franchise NOT owned by said company of same name.)

Not the same Motorsport games (I know, confusing). The event the FIA has is called "Motorsport Games" (and its using ACC, a franchise NOT owned by said company of same name.)

Both Motorsport.com and Motorsportgames.com share the same office in Florida. But yes not the event called Motorsport Games.

Last edited:
Hmm. Doesn't really make sense to me, isn't Sport Mode just about the only stable thing in the game? What issues are there that would affect any eSports, which are run over LAN eliminating any lag issues?

BoP and penalties maybe, but that's not a stability issue.

This is interesting, presuming the FIA man's words are true.

Based on this, one can speculate several things.

One of them is about the racing car models in the game.

The FIA itself may have suggested to the GT7 that they add more recent models, such as LMDh, LMh and GT3, or even increase the number of real circuits to make the venture more commercially attractive to the casual and curious public. Of course, presuming the FIA has a commercial eye on the new WEC era that is just beginning, with GT3 cars and various Hypercars.

I think that must be important for the FIA. And ACC has a big advantage over GT7 in this regard, as it has a large cast of real circuits and more modern racing car models.

Maybe PD, in early 2023, will decide to release a big update package for GT7?

Last edited:
The FIA itself may have suggested to the GT7 that they add more recent models, such as LMDh, LMh and GT3, or even increase the number of real circuits to make the venture more commercially attractive to the casual and curious public.

Then PD should remind the FIA whose game it is.

I want GT7 to be a great driving game for ordinary people who like single player.

Not a game based on the wants of aliens or sport mode fanatics, and definitely not one made to suit the automakers or the FIA.

I want GT7 to be a great driving game for ordinary people who like single player.

Not a game based on the wants of aliens or sport mode fanatics, and definitely not one made to suit the automakers or the FIA.
Contracts are bilateral agreements of will. The PD does not serve the FIA and the FIA does not serve the PD. Suggestions, checks and balances exist in all contracts.

There is no problem for the FIA to suggest something to the PD, not least because any requests for cars and circuits are within the possibilities of the PD and it is part of the sphere of interest of both.

This is elementary to understand.

Have a good time.

Last edited:
Contracts are bilateral agreements of will. The PD does not serve the FIA and the FIA does not serve the PD. Suggestions and weights exist in all contracts.

There is no problem for the FIA to suggest something to the PD, not least because any requests for cars and circuits are within the possibilities of the PD and it is part of the sphere of interest of both.

This is elementary to understand.

Have a good time.

What’s good for the FIA and PD isn’t necessarily what’s good for GT7 players who bought it wanting a good driving game.

Even easier to understand.

You have a good time too.

Last edited:
But yes not the event called Motorsport Games.
this is coincidence, because FIA brand this event as Motorsport (Olympic) Games
that's why it's named Motorsport Games
they have many motorsport things going on during this event(s) virtual race is just one of them
first was on Vallelunga in 2019 and 2nd now on Paul Ricard (because of covid, they wanted to do it every year if I'm not mistaken)

I remember that registration as esporter was little bit fishy because slot for Gran Turismo race was like €1k if I'm not mistaken and you were chosen by your native motorsport union without any quals (at least in my country) so it was cronyism to the fullest

Last edited:
On top of this is that FIA is still on the European section of the Brand Central (for museum purposes) and on the livery editor's built-in decals (except for their traffic safety initiative logos) - but it (along with the Genesis and the new Z) seems to be a rather very late addition as they were not in the State of Play build in February.

Hmm. Doesn't really make sense to me, isn't Sport Mode just about the only stable thing in the game? What issues are there that would affect any eSports, which are run over LAN eliminating any lag issues?

BoP and penalties maybe, but that's not a stability issue.

No Sport mode is not stable... It regularly gets stuck without the race starting and everybody has to quit. Lobbies are worse, crashing often, limited options and if the room creator leaves everyone gets kicked. I imagine that the majority of the season of any eSport would be run over the internet and only the Semi Finals and above run over LAN.

One thing that frustrates me is that we can't set up our own LAN between PlayStations. When I game at my friends house we both connect separately to the PlayStation server and then back to the lobby, even though we are sitting in the same room, there is lobby lag.... Why not direct PlayStation to PlayStation connection for private lobbies over local LAN/WAN?

Why not both? Sport mode is a completely separate section and you don't need to even click it if you prefer the single player experience.... But for those who love the online sport "e-racing" why not have that part of the game fully featured as well?

Last edited:
Why not both? Sport mode is a completely separate section and you don't need to even click it if you prefer the single player experience.... But for those who love the online sport "e-racing" why not have that part of the game fully featured as well?
Yeah, why not, IF they we’re capable of it. They’re not. Single player isn’t finished. They need to finish that first, after all they (pre)sold the game as a return to comprehensive single player, then they can waste as much time as they want on this vanity FIA stuff. If they’d been marketing it as GTS 2 nobody would mind.

what you even mean by finishing single player? it's same **** as always - bad AI and boring events + licenses
that's how GT always looked on single player so I really don't know what you mean when you talking about "returning to comprehensive single player"

Last edited:
what you even mean by finishing single player? it's same **** as always - bad AI and boring events + licenses
that's how GT always looked on single player so I really don't know what you mean when you talking about "returning to comprehensive single player"
I play to relax. That’s best in single player. I can live with the AI and events and licences. Each to his own. But there aren’t enough of them, I’d say 70, maybe 90 per cent is missing, and it’s very badly organised with the world map, not leagues. GT7 was marketed, pre-release, as a return to single player focus (after GTS’s focus on sport mode).

They can shove online where the sun don’t shine until they’ve finished single player.

so go find game with better AI not this ape-driven because it make no sense to play this at all :)
for eg AC with mods
how anybody can enjoy single in GT is beyond me, "racing" with this AI is the worst experience u can get on whole racing games market

Last edited:
so go find game with better AI not this ape-driven because it make no sense to play this at all :)
for eg AC with mods
how anybody can enjoy single in GT is beyond me, "racing" with this AI is the worst experience u can get in whole racing games
I would if I cared enough, but like I said, I play to relax, to kill time really, so perfect AI isn’t that much of a priority. GT to me is like a glorified Tetris.

This is interesting, presuming the FIA man's words are true.

Based on this, one can speculate several things.

One of them is about the racing car models in the game.

The FIA itself may have suggested to the GT7 that they add more recent models, such as LMDh, LMh and GT3, or even increase the number of real circuits to make the venture more commercially attractive to the casual and curious public. Of course, presuming the FIA has a commercial eye on the new WEC era that is just beginning, with GT3 cars and various Hypercars.

I think that must be important for the FIA. And ACC has a big advantage over GT7 in this regard, as it has a large cast of real circuits and more modern racing car models.

Maybe PD, in early 2023, will decide to release a big update package for GT7?
The FIA aren’t interested in what cars are used. It’s a drivers series.

The FIA aren’t the commercial owners of the WEC. That’s the ACO.

ACC is based on SRO racing. Which isn’t FIA sanctioned..

Motorsport Games (the publisher/dev) are the ones with the WEC license. Along with BTCC, Indycar & NASCAR. But very little of note has been seen outside of a press release.

It means people want a game on the scale of GT4 or better. GT7 has been marketed from the beginning as a return to the series’ original roots and is supposed to be “the most complete GT yet” according to Kaz himself, but so far, PD hasn’t been doing a good job delivering on that.

And everyone knows GT’s AI isn’t great, but many people still enjoy the standard elements of a GT game like starting with a cheap used car and working your way up, car collecting, licenses, missions, etc.

for eg AC with mods
how anybody can enjoy single in GT is beyond me, "racing" with this AI is the worst experience u can get on whole racing games market
Online is hardly any better, unless regular racing sees people brake check you on straights, ram you into walls and slam off you in corners? Yeah I know "find better people to race with" but often you can only race with who you are matched with and often that is what drags the online section of the game down. I prefer playing on my own, have had good races online but lets not make them out to be absolutely perfect cos often they're full of rubbish driving.

Back