FoolKiller Becomes Bionic - NEW UPDATE Nov 19, 2012

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 274 comments
So insurance company pays that?

Yes, the second column is what insurance is supposedly paying. When I get a statement from my insurance company it may show they actually paid less. But since they did not charge me for a night in the hospital, which I clearly used, I do not have to pay my $300 inpatient co-pay. No overnight stay on the bill says that it is an outpatient procedure, which I pay nothing for.

This is what my scar looks like from the pacemacker...

not quite as neat as yours :(

have you felt it pace yet? not sure about your case but when mine paces i can feel it, my heart just starts to beat faster and its quite weird feeling lol.

This is what my scar looks like from the pacemacker...

not quite as neat as yours :(
But my surgery scar looks similar. Is that a tube scar just below it as well?

have you felt it pace yet? not sure about your case but when mine paces i can feel it, my heart just starts to beat faster and its quite weird feeling lol.
I never felt any of my fibrillations and when she showed me the date and times of my pacing I just shook my head. One of them was when I was blatantly doing nothing and I didn't notice. That is quite disturbing.

And is that a Medic Alert/Medical ID necklace of some form? That is awesome looking.

Well, here is the Medic Alert ID logo.

I have the all silver necklace pendant.
MedicAlertBasicG.jpg

But my surgery scar looks similar. Is that a tube scar just below it as well?
No thats a separate scar from a shunt i had put in when i was very young. when they did my pacemacher they had to open up the main scar (one down the middle of the chest) because of complications with my condition.. that scar has been opened 4 times now...

I never felt any of my fibrillations and when she showed me the date and times of my pacing I just shook my head. One of them was when I was blatantly doing nothing and I didn't notice. That is quite disturbing.
What about when they put a magnet near it? in testing? do you feel that?

And is that a Medic Alert/Medical ID necklace of some form? That is awesome looking.
Omnis is right, its a full metal alchemist symbol.

I want to get a bracelet with some details engraved on that.. just in case something happens to me..

No thats a separate scar from a shunt i had put in when i was very young. when they did my pacemacher they had to open up the main scar (one down the middle of the chest) because of complications with my condition.. that scar has been opened 4 times now...
And I thought my two was bad. But my saving grace is that my conduit was only supposed to last seven years and it is still fine after 16 years. So, technically I should be due my fourth surgery, not having my doctors curious as to why my conduit has more than doubled its life expectancy. I have a feeling that once it does need to come out they will go over it a lot. I already had one surgeon tell me he wanted to see it to see how it has lasted. He sat in on one of my heart caths to get a look. Afterward, he told me that if anything requires opening my chest they want to switch it just because they don't trust it at this point. I could probably request the surgery at any point with my insurance, but I've been there before and the risk is worth it to live a normal life as much as possible.

What about when they put a magnet near it? in testing? do you feel that?
They haven't done the magnet yet, and I felt the testing the day after they put it in but I felt nothing on Tuesday during my follow up.

Omnis is right, its a full metal alchemist symbol.
I just saw teh snake and assumed.

I want to get a bracelet with some details engraved on that.. just in case something happens to me..
I have to update mine. They also make a nice Citizen Eco-Drive watch that I like, but it is hard to justify $140 when that black dog tag is $10.

The little shocky pacemaker thing cost $73,000!? Zoinks! I've a feeling they may be padding their pockets in anticipation of whopper lawsuits. Hope for your sake that they're not, lol.

The little shocky pacemaker thing cost $73,000!? Zoinks! I've a feeling they may be padding their pockets in anticipation of whopper lawsuits. Hope for your sake that they're not, lol.
Check the features though: Heart monitor/EKG, Pacemaker, Defibrillator (those are $1,000 for a briefcase sized one), Wi-Fi, and telephone communications system. Oh, and it is smaller than a pocketwatch, and likely made from some fancy metal to prevent any kind of corrosion after decades of sitting in a pocket of fatty tissue and blood.

My cousin is a veterinarian and he said they have them for dogs, but can only get them used from deceased humans, and they run about $12,000 then. So, this appears to be about right.

Check the features though: Heart monitor/EKG, Pacemaker, Defibrillator (those are $1,000 for a briefcase sized one), Wi-Fi, and telephone communications system. Oh, and it is smaller than a pocketwatch, and likely made from some fancy metal to prevent any kind of corrosion after decades of sitting in a pocket of fatty tissue and blood.

But does it lap the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes? :P

The money in medical is astonishing.

... If only you could hook jumpers to your nipple to start your car.

Hi FoolKiller,

A few weeks passed. How are things going?

Tip as for not using a FF wheel: The ff can be switched off. That or you can almost enjoy GTpsp.

But as I understand you're having a baby pretty soon, then you will have a time when games are not that important. Or maybe for a quick half an hour sessions between feeding and taking care of mother and baby.

Anyway, good luck.

Hi FoolKiller,

A few weeks passed. How are things going?

Tip as for not using a FF wheel: The ff can be switched off. That or you can almost enjoy GTpsp.

But as I understand you're having a baby pretty soon, then you will have a time when games are not that important. Or maybe for a quick half an hour sessions between feeding and taking care of mother and baby.

Anyway, good luck.
I had my final post-op check up yesterday and I have been cleared for most normal activity except heavy lifting and things like golf. I also got my home unit, but haven't set that up yet, as I don't have a land line. We are getting one put in though so that we can switch to satellite TV and so that I can use this device.

My main concern was that I can go to the Petit Le Mans this weekend and help my wife get started on the nursery.

I have a bit of a heart problem myself. Marfans syndrome, it's a muscle problem affecting heart (aortic dissection), eyes, lung problems amongst others. Also Giantism can be a sympton.
It's not a well known condition and my doctors only know about it from the Wiki page:dunce:. Don't know how many times I've been handed a print out of that.

Last edited:
Hmmzz Road Atlanta with Le Mans cars... should be very cool. Attending real life racing is very fun to do. I hope to visit the FIA GT at Zolder this year. Because we got a baby last year, there's wasn't that much time to do that.

Anyway, enjoy it and good luck with helping out with the nursery.

How was the petit Le Mans? Any pictures taken?
There is a thread coming, I just need to sort them because it was wet and that made for a lot of poorly focused pictures. I meant to do it last night but Monday Night Football, Heroes, and Castle were calling my name.

I have to get an X-Ray by next week, so I am hoping to be able to post an image of what it looks like then. I really hope I can see all the wires and stuff. That will just be awesome.

Wow, I managed to totally miss this thread and the news within somehow. The Bionic Foolkiller! Should we be expecting a username change? :lol:

It was certainly an interesting read and I'm glad to see you are doing well after the surgery.

OK, I finally got my X-Rays today and had my final post procedure check-up. All is good but they want to put me on a beta blocker (Toprol XL) just to have double prevention. The beta blocker should prevent any arrhythmias and the ICD will catch any that slip through.

So, back to normal life again, just adding another drug to my cocktail.

Oh, and I made sure to give myself enough time to pop the X-Ray Cd into my laptop and grab the images.

This is awesome:

small1b.jpg

Are they internal stitches that can be seen running vertically through the middle of the X-ray?

Are they internal stitches that can be seen running vertically through the middle of the X-ray?
You mean the squiggly lines running along the breast bone? Those are wires used to put my breast bone back together after my two open heart surgeries. I have been able to set off treasure hunting metal detectors since I was six.

Thats awesome, you should seriously get that x-ray framed and hung on the wall. You can brag about how you're one step closer to being the bionic man than all you're friends! :lol:

As for the pill cocktail, hows that affecting your liver? Is it to the degree of causing damage to prevent death, or are they able to give you less destructive pills/counter medicine for that?

Thats awesome, you should seriously get that x-ray framed and hung on the wall. You can brag about how you're one step closer to being the bionic man than all you're friends! :lol:
It has already been emailed and bragged about. Until now the guy with a couple of screws in his shoulder was always acting as if his issue is just as cool. His response today was, "That's insane."

As for the pill cocktail, hows that affecting your liver? Is it to the degree of causing damage to prevent death, or are they able to give you less destructive pills/counter medicine for that?
So far no liver issues. The hope is also that when I have my next heart surgery (there is no if) they can correct a lot of stuff and pull me off the drugs. Four months after my last surgery I went into heart failure and the initial reaction was to go back into surgery, but after further consultation with some of the top-of-the-field doctors they came up with my current drug cocktail. So now they are just waiting for the conduit to wear out before they go back in. If there was any liver damage risk I can only assume they would have gone ahead and done surgery by now.

Glad to hear the op went OK FK 👍
That X-Ray is quality :lol:
Almost as good as the one when half of my finger was at about 50degrees to the other bottom half of it below the knuckle. Yay for rugby!

Latest Posts

Back