Formula 1 Lenovo British Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 501 comments
So when Hamilton was the championship leader and didn't have to overdrive his car getting past backmarkers at Imola, it's not a poor decision and something something Verstappen bad? Got it.

How many more irrelevant things do you want to bring up? Literally every driver makes poor decisions. Obviously. That's not the point.
That was a poor decision from Hamilton, yep.

It's relevant to the fact you have double standards, clearly. If Mick wasn't desperate for a point fighting to keep his seat, I think most drivers with most of their car alongside would have kept their foot in at that last corner. And it could have resulted in another DNF for Max. You definitely wouldn't have been saying "this is what close racing looks like".

Lewis Hamilton on Charles Leclerc: “Charles did a great job. What a great battle, very sensible driver, clearly a lot different to what I experienced last year. Copse for example, the two of us went through no problem.”

beautiful clean racing

Last edited:
I can't seem to find anything regarding Albon's condition, has he been cleared from the hospital?

Incredbile shot from the RBR house photographer.

zbdpyqpo7e991eujnk.jpg

Max seems to make a lot of "poor" decisons. But as long as the other car goes off it's all fair.
Nice. Here's my favorite picture of last year:

1656873722447.png

The decisions can't have been that poor if he actually ended up winning it all.

Perez used not to be bad, but Max is rubbing off on him.
Perez is being smart, so is Leclerc. It's legal and it works, as long as you don't end up punting the other guy off going through a corner at full throttle.

And no, I would absolutely think it's fair if someone actually did it to Verstappen (e.g. Leclerc and also Hamilton). As long as it's onto a tarmac runoff and not gravel (e.g. the Perez saga at Austria last year). Doesn't happen that often though.
And it could have resulted in another DNF for Max. You definitely wouldn't have been saying "this is what close racing looks like".
It 100% wouldn't have resulted in another DNF. Just 8th place at worst. It's Mick Schumacher, not post-Silverstone magic 2021 Hamilton.

EDIT: I'd just like to clarify, this is not me hating on Schumacher, or Hamilton, or whoever. It's just that this style of racing is not some great evil. Even in F1 it goes back decades, to battles like Villeneuve vs. Arnoux. For a while, the racing was so bad that this wasn't even possible. And if everyone kept it so painfully clinical like they would have in the recent past those final ten laps would not have been as great as they were.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find anything regarding Albon's condition, has he been cleared from the hospital?

Speaking to Autosport, Williams team boss Jost Capito said that Albon had told him that the contact with the pit wall had been the hardest hit.

“He's a bit sore,” said Capito. “We'll see how he is tomorrow. It's a big relief. For me, it's the most important thing, everything else is then not valid anymore.

“His physio went with him to the medical centre, and we had all the updates, and it's fine now. He had some pain in the back, so then you have to be careful.

“You see how important it is to work on the safety again, and again. Alex didn't look that bad, because the hit from behind was never a big deceleration.
Perez is being smart, so is Leclerc. It's legal and it works, as long as you don't end up punting the other guy off going through a corner at full throttle.
Especially when the person on the outside doesn't turn in on the guy on the inside, eh? See LeClerc passing Hamilton on the outside at Copse.
EDIT: I'd just like to clarify, this is not me hating on Schumacher, or Hamilton, or whoever. It's just that this style of racing is not some great evil. Even in F1 it goes back decades, to battles like Villeneuve vs. Arnoux. For a while, the racing was so bad that this wasn't even possible. And if everyone kept it so painfully clinical like they would have in the recent past those final ten laps would not have been as great as they were.
This is where respect comes into it. Villeneuve vs Arnoux was hard racing, but fair - yes they did bang wheels, but they gave each other room. Perhaps you'd like to confirm in the video below when either driver forced the other off the road?

You can have hard racing, even forceful racing, without the need to cause your opponent to run out of room. Now, while I'm not Max's biggest fan, I will happily celebrate great racing and Max is an exceptionally talented and incredibly quick driver, no doubt about it. However, he does seem to have a major blind spot with competitors - it's almost as if he doesn't expect them to dare challenge him and they must give him the room he demands, which isn't fair racing. It's amazing the number of incidents caused by 'he just turned in on me'.

Really good race, of course good to see Zhou was OK after that crash. Surely questions have to be asked how the Alfa rollover structure got instantly crushed in the initial impact though, they're supposed to stand up to more than that. I wonder if their split airbox design has anything to do with it.

The racing towards the end was great but almost ruined yet again by the moronic director. Replays are for when there is a lull in the action, you don't cut to 45 seconds of replays, showing the same incident that literally just happened from three angles, while five cars are still duelling. Then they were cutting to shots of the crews, the pit walls, the crowd, anything but the action. Live is live, it only happens once, show it! Missed half of the HAM and PER battle.

Just as bad though were the angles and cuts when things were happening. The HAM vs LEC at Copse was ruined by cutting from a wide shot to an on-board. We could only tell from context that LEC was ahead, would've been a nice novelty to actually get a proper shot of it happening live.

How do you cut away from this:

Formula.1.2022.Round.10.BritishGP.Silverstone.Great.Britain.Race.F1TV.MULTI.1080p50.SS.mkv_sna...jpg
To this mid-corner?

Formula.1.2022.Round.10.BritishGP.Silverstone.Great.Britain.Race.F1TV.MULTI.1080p50.SS.mkv_sna...jpg

Even with Ocon retiring. They showed us the on-board of his crawling down the straight trying to get a gear. Is he going to get going? Nice bit of tension..

I know thinks the director, let's cut to some reaction shots for 10 seconds instead of actually seeing what happens!

By the time we do cut back, he's stopped.

Also glad to see the moronic protesters got absolutely zero coverage.

Last edited:
I would agree with you generally, but cutting to Otmar looking like he's having the worst day of his life was too good an opportunity to pass. :lol:

Fortunately both Zhou and Albon are okay. Zhou probably would not have survived that crash without the halo, especially after a complete collapse of the roll hoop on the Alfa.

Great shootout for the last 10 laps of the race courtesy of the safety car. I'm glad to see that Sainz finally won his first F1 race, but you have to say he and Perez were the biggest beneficiaries of the safety car. Leclerc was clearly the faster of the two Ferrari until the end, even with a damaged front wing, but it was good to see that Ferrari allowed their drivers to race.

Wonder if the FIA will make rules on making the roll hoop stronger.
Not the first time one has failed.

Last edited:
Someone explain this to me because I’ve never really been clear on this issue.

My understanding is, in this image a red line is the distance from the roof to the front of the cockpit opening. The specifications state that a drivers head must be within and under the space of the line so they are safe in the event of a flip or rollover. The halo doesn’t seem to be adding that much extra support if that’s what it’s for, or does it?

Attachments

• DB3B43E1-CE36-4D07-970E-8AB22742CE2D.jpeg
    DB3B43E1-CE36-4D07-970E-8AB22742CE2D.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 16
Someone explain this to me because I’ve never really been clear on this issue.

My understanding is, in this image a red line is the distance from the roof to the front of the cockpit opening. The specifications state that a drivers head must be within and under the space of the line so they are safe in the event of a flip or rollover. The halo doesn’t seem to be adding that much extra support if that’s what it’s for, or does it?
The halo isn't (primarily) for rollovers. It's more for deflecting flying cars (see the F2 incident of this weekend) or larger flying parts (e.g. loose wheels), or basically impacting anything at head level.

Speaking of the FIA and race control, during the safety car period for Ocon's car failure, there was a message on the screen that said "Cars 3 and 22 may overtake safety car"

Now, I might be misunderstanding things or misinterpreting the rule, but using "may" in that sentence suggests that it's optional and means that it's up to the teams in question to choose to overtake the leaders + safety car or not, rather than using "must" where the backmarkers have to overtake the leaders and safety car with no exception.

Somehow I feel this is even less clear than the any/all debacle from Abu Dhabi last year.

Speaking of the FIA and race control, during the safety car period for Ocon's car failure, there was a message on the screen that said "Cars 3 and 22 may overtake safety car"

Now, I might be misunderstanding things or misinterpreting the rule, but using "may" in that sentence suggests that it's optional and means that it's up to the teams in question to choose to overtake the leaders + safety car or not, rather than using "must" where the backmarkers have to overtake the leaders and safety car with no exception.

Somehow I feel this is even less clear than the any/all debacle from Abu Dhabi last year.
I think the text always said 'may'.
I'm not even sure if it is mandatory, but what would even be a reason to not do that?

In this instance, you're misinterpreting three use of the word 'may'. Here, race control is giving permission to allow the driver's to unlap themselves.

It's not 'they may be able to do this' but 'please do this'.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure if it is mandatory, but what would even be a reason to not do that?
Having a car with the same engine as you blocking a competitor in a strategic way, I would assume like having a Haas or an Alfa blocking a Red Bull upon restart late in the season when the championship depends on it because they "may" overtake the safety car rather than having to "must" overtake it.

In this instance, you're misinterpreting three use of the word 'may'. Here, race control is giving permission to allow the driver's to unlap themselves.

It's not 'they may be able to do this' but 'please do this'.
But it's a permission/suggestion, not an obligation, hence the question.

Last edited:
I made a small edit to my post for clarification just as you quoted it, sorry, but it's a more polite way of writing an in instruction. My boss does the same in his emails; 'please may you.....' instead of 'will you do this....'.

I made a small edit to my post for clarification just as you quoted it, sorry, but it's a more polite way of writing an in instruction. My boss does the same in his emails; 'please may you.....' instead of 'will you do this....'.
I understand what you're saying, but it's used as a rule in the FIA's case instead of a polite suggestion for the everyday tradesmen. I "may" show up on a Saturday because my boss politely asked me if I could is different from I "may"(which in this case should be "must") overtake the safety car if I'm Daniel Ricciardo pootling around in 13th place and potientally impeding the leaders upon a restart.

Probably it's there for the instance where a damaged car is unable to make the moves and decides not to. If it isn't mandatory, then I can see that there will be a time someone exploits it to allow their team mate to disappear off and gold back a rival though.

Latest Posts

Back