Forza Horizon 5’s New “Hide and Seek” Mode Announced at Gamescom, Coming September 10

• Thread starter Famine
  • 16 comments
The gift that keeps on giving.

That said I was kinda hoping they would take the opportunity to tease the next entry in the franchise.

So... I allude to this in the article, and I've discovered that - as with so many things in the UK - the actual game this replicates has so many different names depending on where (and when) in the UK you're from.

The game we played in the street as kids went like this:

• Everyone starts at the base
  • One kid goes to hide, and has [x] seconds to do so
  • The others wait [x] seconds and then try to find them
  • The other kids have to tag them once they've found them, but...
  • The kid who hides can move about into new hiding places, with the goal of getting back to base without being tagged
  • The finders can't hog the base
And we called it Fox & Hounds.

So... I allude to this in the article, and I've discovered that - as with so many things in the UK - the actual game this replicates has so many different names depending on where (and when) in the UK you're from.

• The kid who hides can move about into new hiding places, with the goal of getting back to base without being tagged

Räuber und Gendarm in Germany.

At least in the 80s.

Last edited:

We played Hide and Seek here in the US, which was more straightforward; the one they seem to be pulling inspiration from is Manhunt, played by some FH5 streamers.

What I find interesting is, it feels like everyone is given a fair shot, even the Seekers; no upgraded cars allowed, the Hiders can only drive big off-road cars that no one can miss (and apparently the traffic is always a different color from the Hider), and ramming doesn't instantly end the round, encouraging more shark-like play from the Seekers as they basically zero in on the Hider.

I'm not a fan of it, it seems too... catered to Convoys. But I can see where they came from.

I expected something more groundbreaking, given it was revealed at gamescom,

Sadly this game mode does nothing for me. Would rather see a more in depth drag mode etc.

Hide and Seek where I come from. Lots of fun. No it wasn't, it's catch and chase.

Last edited:
Hide and Seek where I come from. Lots of fun.
Really? That wasn't just done when you were spotted? Huh.

I grew up in a weird corridor from the north edge of Sheffield to Wakefield and Pontefract (lived in the former, went to school in the middle one, went to friends between the first two and the latter), and the street game of hide and seek was always static hiders and simply finding them was enough. Moving your hiding spot and attempting to run back to the base had different names: twenty-twenty was one I recall from the Wakefield area, but in my home-home it was fox and hounds. Wikipedia lists it under forty forty for some reason, probably a southern name for it.

We also did a variant where there was one seeker, and as they tagged each hider they became seekers too. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was a very, very long time ago.

Edit:

No it wasn't, it's catch and chase.
Ahh... we did that too, but with girls. The catching was fun.

Last edited:

We played something similar in the north of Sweden, but not quite the same:

• One kid close their eyes and count to [x] while the rest goes to hide.
  • When the count is done the seek begins.
  • When the seeker finds someone, he/she must return to the base and call out the name of the person that was found, that person is then caught and loses the game.
  • If the person hiding manages to return to the base before they are caught, they win the game.
The name of the game: “Kurragömma med dunk”.

There does seem to be three distinct different versions of the same game;
  • there's the version which Famine described (also known as Fox & Hounds where I lived in Cheltenham, UK),
  • there's the version which eran described but you had to mention where you found the person as well (which was called 'Dub Dub In', and usually used a bin as a base),
  • and also a variant of eran's where you had to tag someone after finding them which then turned them into a hunter (which we would know as 'Hide & Seek').

Well, it could be, even so, if it were true. Don't you think it would have already been announced?
Probably waiting for a suitable time since Forza is one of the three pillar frnshicses of Xbox and Xbox I'm sure didn't want to signal they'd arrive elsewhere other than pc and their consoles for a while, if at all

Probably waiting for a suitable time since Forza is one of the three pillar frnshicses of Xbox and Xbox I'm sure didn't want to signal they'd arrive elsewhere other than pc and their consoles for a while, if at all
The truth is that you are right, it is better to wait for the moment to arrive, although it would be nice to see a compilation of the Xbox One Forza for PS5, with the DLC included of course

Back