Forza Motorsport Update 13: Sunset Peninsula, Mustangs, Drift Mode and More

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Forza Motorsport Update 13: Sunset Peninsula, Mustangs, Drift Mode and More

Turn 10’s latest update for Forza Motorsport comes with rather a special backdrop, as the game marks a year since its official launch.
The livery editor also receives a new “Enter Text” function to allow for faster and easier creation of words and phrases for liveries.

FINALLY. Why this wasn't a feature from the very first Forza is still a mystery to me, it seems like such a rudimentary thing to add.

The article has an error in one of the titles :

Mid-Engine Tour​

(Needs to be Mustang Tour)

@Famine
(feel free to delete this post once fixed)

Last edited:
While I appreciate the status of the Mustang (and other muscle cars) in the American psyche, they are terrible cars to drive on race tracks - especially as stock - they only become reasonable to drive by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th race in each series by which time you start again with another hunk of metal that struggles to turn a corner.

Also, putting the Hellcat (over 2000 kgs) on Maple Valley as one of the Rival events as a stock car is an absolute disaster and isn't fun to drive as you tip toe around corners.

Hopefully there's a BMW month coming soon where we can drive M class cars around diverse tracks with greater ease.

While I appreciate the status of the Mustang (and other muscle cars) in the American psyche, they are terrible cars to drive on race tracks - especially as stock - they only become reasonable to drive by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th race in each series by which time you start again with another hunk of metal that struggles to turn a corner.

Also, putting the Hellcat (over 2000 kgs) on Maple Valley as one of the Rival events as a stock car is an absolute disaster and isn't fun to drive as you tip toe around corners.

Hopefully there's a BMW month coming soon where we can drive M class cars around diverse tracks with greater ease.
Just as long as it doesn't involve the new M2 in any way. Good God that car is hideous.

The fact that four factory models of the Mustang family are still stuck in FM7 after the content-rich Mustang Month really underscores the fact that Forza is wasting assets by not utilizing them when good opportunities arise.

2015 Mustang GT
2007 Shelby GT500
1978 Mustang II King Cobra
1971 Mustang Mach 1

Then you might point to licensing and argue that other Mustang models have arrived to compensate for their absence. True, but it would be so much more appealing if Turn 10 worked more aggressively towards fleshing out model lineups for which they already have the cars modelled. Instead they are just sitting on them. Forza Horizon does this too, and it’s by far the most frustrating aspect of getting new Forza games.

Last edited:
The fact that four factory models of the Mustang family are still stuck in FM7 after the content-rich Mustang Month really underscores the fact that Forza is wasting assets by not utilizing them when good opportunities arise.

2015 Mustang GT
2007 Shelby GT500
1978 Mustang II King Cobra
1971 Mustang Mach 1

Then you might point to licensing and argue that other Mustang models have arrived to compensate for their absence. True, but it would be so much more appealing if Turn 10 worked more aggressively towards fleshing out model lineups for which they already have the cars modelled. Instead they are just sitting on them. Forza Horizon does this too, and it’s by far the most frustrating aspect of getting new Forza games.
It's not licensing. They have the cars. They were in FM7 and they have Microsoft money. It's got to be something else. Ford isn't so stingy to say "hey, no more 78 Mustang King Cobra for you anymore." That's silly. Most manufacturers are flattered to be in games and sims.
It is depressing. I made the mistake of looking through the whole FM7 car list a few days ago. Don't do that. This is a warning, you'll be sad after. 😄

It's not licensing. They have the cars. They were in FM7 and they have Microsoft money. It's got to be something else. Ford isn't so stingy to say "hey, no more 78 Mustang King Cobra for you anymore." That's silly. Most manufacturers are flattered to be in games and sims.
It is depressing. I made the mistake of looking through the whole FM7 car list a few days ago. Don't do that. This is a warning, you'll be sad after. 😄

I reckon it's marketing, main goal for this update was to get out the 2024 GT and 2024 Dark Horse, interestingly the older modern models (5th gen +) are Saleen and Shelby rather than sitting in the Ford marketplace, plus I guess there is a non-zero cost to bringing older models in the game even though they may already have FM7 counterparts.

We can’t say for sure. Licensing deals are likely renewed with every new game, and the amount of cars may determine the licensing bill. It probably varies from brand to brand. So while Ford may not forbid certain cars, Turn 10 might exclude them if leaving them out saves them money. That’s just where I’m getting annoyed if that’s the case.

Turn 10 might even get paid by Ford if they add newer models, because it helps drawing attention to their current lineup.

Last edited:
I'm actually disappointed the Mustang II King Cobra isn't there - I was going to attempt another "****box to the Stars" type effort in this month's open class series and see how far I could get with it, like I did a few months ago with my '92 Ford Falcon GT. I've had to settle for the '93 Cobra.

Back