Four killed in Pennsylvania shooting spree

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 49 comments
No, not really. I mean, you might read that in whatever news you choose to read, and it is clear you don't mind some bias. We pretty much still have the First Amendment, just look at Westboro if you don't believe me. And certainly greater leeway with freedom of speech and privacy than most Commonwealth countries.

And you don't give an opinion in your initial posts for any of these shooting related threads.

Not really an option because of how the mechanisms work, at least from what I recall.

Also, would be like asking to make it harder to make fertilizer bombs, etc. The people that want to do it will do it regardless.

Then like I said they shouldn't have sold them as surplus and banned them 30 years ago.

Wow... just wow ! :dunce:

What is so WoW about it?

UK: It has strong gun laws, no mass shootings
Japan: It has strong gun laws, no mass shootings
Australia: It has strong gun laws, rare mass shootings

When guns can be gotten so easily it opens the doors to killings.

What is so WoW about it?
If you participate in the discussions following your comments, you'll find out. My previous question remains unanswered, by the way.
Bzzt. Bzzt.
Bzzt.
Nope. It just means they're done with guns.

Remember your Japanese example? Try as mass school stabbing - 8 kids between 7 and 8 killed. Or a guy using a knife and a truck to kill 7. We won't mention the thousand people injured (13 dead) in Tokyo in 1995. Wait, I just did. Rats.

And let's not forget what effective banning of guns has done to the murder rates in the UK - a country that wasn't even that culturally attached to firearms. Yes, they're higher now than they were when guns were banned in 1997 - every year since 1997 has seen a higher murder rater than every year before it (with the exception of 1995).

Spree killers kill. They use whatever means to kill the most people they can. Knife, truck, gas attack, gun, aircraft... they don't care. They kill. Blaming the tool - a tool that is not used to kill anyone 99.996% of the time in the USA (a better rate than cars) - is crass.

Then like I said they shouldn't have sold them as surplus and banned them 30 years ago.

Firearms aren't the problem, it's the people behind them that can potentially cause problems.

Full-auto isn't a massive issue imho. A shooting involving a regular 9mm semi-automatic pistol + lots of mags (let's say a coat with the liner ripped open to act as a big 'mag bag' as a discrete carry option) would have a similar outcome to a shooting involving a full-auto .223 AR-15 and 30 round mags.

It's not like the pistol has the reload delay of a blackpower muzzle-loader, it can be reloaded quickly enough to react to anyone trying to take advantage of a break in the gunfire to disarm the shooter.

So, it takes a few seconds to reload either gun, and the pistol won't shoot that much slower than a full-auto rifle (the only limit is how quickly you can pull and release the trigger).

What is so WoW about it?

Australia: It has strong gun laws, rare mass shootings

We can't keep people or drugs out of our country effectively, how on earth would we do that with guns? Are you not aware the US has one of the largest land borders in the world? Not to mention half the Union would fight tooth and nail to keep gun-rights, with them possibly trying to leave if guns were banned.

Then all the reasons Famine pointed out.

Or you could continue to talk as if you know something while only validating that you, in fact, do not.

Firearms aren't the problem, it's the people behind them that can potentially cause problems.

Full-auto isn't a massive issue imho. A shooting involving a regular 9mm semi-automatic pistol + lots of mags (let's say a coat with the liner ripped open to act as a big 'mag bag' as a discrete carry option) would have a similar outcome to a shooting involving a full-auto .223 AR-15 and 30 round mags.

It's not like the pistol has the reload delay of a blackpower muzzle-loader, it can be reloaded quickly enough to react to anyone trying to take advantage of a break in the gunfire to disarm the shooter.

So, it takes a few seconds to reload either gun, and the pistol won't shoot that much slower than a full-auto rifle (the only limit is how quickly you can pull and release the trigger).

I believe you're confusing fully automatic (continues to fire as long as the trigger is held down) with semi-automatic (fires once per trigger pull then automatically reloads) here.

I fully agree with you, though, that it's not the guns but the people behind them.

I believe you're confusing fully automatic (continues to fire as long as the trigger is held down) with semi-automatic (fires once per trigger pull then automatically reloads) here.

I fully agree with you, though, that it's not the guns but the people behind them.

No, i'm saying that I don't see a problem with the public owning full-auto weapons, let alone semi-auto ones.

People who enjoy shooting targets will get mad at that, if bullets cost $5K each

Just read an article about how a girl in year 6 brought a gun to school for safety.

How about this law revoke the right to bear arms on people who can't follow the rules.

Gun owners have to keep there guns in gun safes and away from children(children should not have access or know the combination to open the gun safe, parents who fail do to so and there gun is stolen(by random crim or their child) loses the right to bear arms.

This way only responsible gun owners have guns

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/18/student-brings-gun-to-school_n_2324143.html

Question. Have you ever handled a gun?

Children are fine with guns when educated correctly. I started shooting when I was 4 and it was drama free. I understood what they did and respected the power they have.

But honestly I'm getting sick of you telling the US what we should doing with guns when I, frankly, think you have no cue what you are actually talking about.

This story is not news outside of Pennsylvania. Random moron kills a few specific people (a motive sure to follow). Happens all the time in every country. Unless it happened to someone on the forum, I'm not sure why it merits a thread except for the obvious agenda of the poster.

In simple terms the only people who want to own/carry/buy/steal a gun are people who are willing to use one. The last people that should have guns are the people that are willing to use one.

/Ends.

Leo0308
In simple terms the only people who want to own/carry/buy/steal a gun are people who are willing to use one. The last people that should have guns are the people that are willing to use one.

/Ends.
What? I have a couple shotguns in the shed used for rabbit hunting. I guess I'm the last person who should have one :/

I'm hoping you meant that people willing to steal them are the last people you want with them.

/Ends.

Let me ask you something.

I know several people who are avid hunters, this is how their guns are stored: With a locked on safety, in a locked case located in their garage rafters(which you need a ladder to get to).

Does that sound like an irresponsible person who shouldn't have guns?

It should also be noted that they usually donate a good chunk of what they harvest as that's a lot of meat if it's a good hunt.

/Ends.

The last person who should own anything is someone who is unwilling to use it. Especially guns.

There are several people who are willing to use their gun. I'm one of them. What makes me the person who should have a gun? What do you know about me? What do you know about my guns?

Why should I be unwilling to use a gun or any tool to defend myself if my life or the lives of my family are in danger?

What? I have a couple shotguns in the shed used for rabbit hunting. I guess I'm the last person who should have one :/

I'm hoping you meant that people willing to steal them are the last people you want with them.

Let me ask you something.

I know several people who are avid hunters, this is how their guns are stored: With a locked on safety, in a locked case located in their garage rafters(which you need a ladder to get to).

Does that sound like an irresponsible person who shouldn't have guns?

Forget to mention this part. The guns are hidden away in my house, in individual locked cases, with a trigger lock on them, and the ammunition is outside in the locked shed, hidden away in a locked box. My dad and I take gun safety very seriously. But I guess people like me are the absolute last people you want owning guns. Who wants people who lock their guns up, take every practical precaution, and are committed to safe and responsible gun ownership to own guns? I guess we should also disarm the military and police forces, the police are willing to use and carry guns, so we should obviously be terrified about that :rolleyes:

Back