Free “My First Gran Turismo” Demo Coming Later This Year

• Thread starter Famine
  • 196 comments
I'm not on a hype train for this honest 😉

Shame I can't find GT1 and GT2, think they are either in the loft or at my parents house still.

I really wanted to see if it still smells of rubber 😂

1000011820.jpg

1000011821.jpg

Remember when you struggled to fill an 8mb memory card on a PS2 🤣

FYI Kaz, this is how you do nostalgia 😉🤣

I remember playing GT1 with the bronze NSX, sat on the floor in my parents living room, on a square 17 inch tv 🤣

Last edited:
They should at least bring back that menu music :D
While they are at it, wherever the cars are displayed (garage or “dealership” etc), have Gran Turismo 2 East City theme on the background!

Definitely curious about this demo - at least anything in regards to its content is pure speculation at this point so let the imagination prosper (or not…).

You know what would have been dope? if they remaked the GT1 demo in GT7

yea i know its a long shot but i can dream :D

Given that game demos come from large, slow downloads these days, and not exciting discs on the front of magazines, I'm not sure how well today's players would react to the demo timer expiring on the first corner of the second lap of CSR5. :lol:

I'm expecting a longer demo than that, and will be very keen to see if it does contain a not-yet-included classic GT car/track/UI and/or the cracking good music of Isamu Ohira and Jason Page.

I think you all thinking about it as some sort of retrospective on GT1 are way off base.
I am reasonably sure that it won't purely be that, but that it will include some aspect of that or be primarily inspired by that:

This upcoming release will include some of the favorite cars, tracks, and race events that evoke the nostalgia and excitement of the very first GT experience.

It'll almost certainly be GT7-based. I think that as "tracks" is plural, we'll be looking at a couple (or three) of rebuilt-for-GT7 original GT1 tracks, and probably enough cars from GT7 to make a 16-car grid (with up to half of the grid repeated) in each of the original game's Arcade Mode clases - probably comprising some cars close to those that could be found in the original and some from more recent titles, possibly maxing out at Gr.3 (the Castrol Tom's Supra is almost a sure-thing) but maybe the X2019 will be shoehorned in as well.

Which does cover why there's a Countach from a game that launched over a decade after the original being used as the featured car. It wasn't in the original, but you could sure shove it into an A Class race with the Gentleman's Agreement cars that were.

It'll almost certainly be GT7-based. I think that as "tracks" is plural, we'll be looking at a couple (or three) of rebuilt-for-GT7 original GT1 tracks, and probably enough cars from GT7 to make a 16-car grid (with up to half of the grid repeated) in each of the original game's Arcade Mode clases - probably comprising some cars close to those that could be found in the original and some from more recent titles, possibly maxing out at Gr.3 (the Castrol Tom's Supra is almost a sure-thing) but maybe the X2019 will be shoehorned in as well.
I doubt we'll get so much but you are much more knowledgeable than me on the subject, I'll wait and see.

I doubt we'll get so much but you are much more knowledgeable than me on the subject, I'll wait and see.
I think I could assemble a list to accommodate all of the above with three tracks and... I think 48 cars from GT7 - maybe a little less if they go for 12-car grids - and six to 15 races.

That'd all be about the size of the free GT5 Prologue demo, which is more or less what I'm expecting - although I have no inside information.

I do hope they put any new races we don't have in GT7 back into GT7, though the lack of conversion from Special Events in the Weekly Challenges does not fill me with hope.

Last edited:
I do hope they put any new races we don't have in GT7 back into GT7, though the lack of conversion from Special Events in the Weekly Challenges does not fill me with hope.
Yep, seeing that they don't even do it now gives me few hope for this to happen.

But overall I think it is a good news for GT7 if they are willing to put such effort to appeal to new players.

This seems like a distraction... a free demo which takes resources and generates no revenue... And GT7 game play and with miserable exhausting random gambling and credit economy along with online sportsmanship/fairness over run by rampant slamming and no accountability is over shadowed by this, and for what again? This is for children too young for a drivers license? who are sitting on a trust fund waiting to buy a PS5 Pro enticed by the opportunity to get a Gran Turismo demo? Make it make sense.

Nah, I'm just not into fetch quests for a cafe owner, online racing, scapes or grinding.
Fair doooos. Keep on racin' 😎👍

Still asking myself why the used the lambo in the promo picture 😂 i would say: classic PD. No sense at all
I’m only guessing because of this:
Could be just like Arcade Mode with the current line up of cars to choose plus a few more. Trial Mountain like the GT7 teaser trailer using the RX-Vision. Maybe High Speed Ring as that’s an easy and short track for the Christmas family to take turns smashing into walls and joyously pointing and laughing with one another while drinking some hot cocoa. Yeah.
Could be as simple as PD mixing up the cars we have available when the servers are down to choose for trial play.

In a game bereft of content, this is a directionless move.
Bereft?

The privilege and expectations that have come from the mind-blowing scope of modern games sure has turned some people into insatiable sad-sacks.

Sorry you ignore online play and other aspects of the game and need thousands of hours of single-player content to break even on your $60 purchase.

You'll be in my prayers.

Bereft?

The privilege and expectations that have come from the mind-blowing scope of modern games sure has turned some people into insatiable sad-sacks.

Sorry you ignore online play and other aspects of the game and need thousands of hours of single-player content to break even on your $60 purchase.

You'll be in my prayers.

1) it was not 60 dollars, over here it was £70, so 100 dollars

2) the game was not advertised as online focused pre-release

3) compared with past entries this game is bereft of content

Have a nice day

1) it was not 60 dollars, over here it was £70, so 100 dollars

2) the game was not advertised as online focused pre-release

3) compared with past entries this game is bereft of content

Have a nice day
1) Ok. Still a lot of content for the investment.

2) It isn't a primarily online game, but online content makes for fresh gaming options in perpetuity.

3) Compared with 4 it is lacking in number of races, compared to all the others not so much. Let's not forget best-in-business photorealistic models and tracks, a deep physics model that previous entries can't even come close to (even though it still needs work), VR support etc. etc..

The shortcomings are more than made up for in other areas. And if you're lacking in the races you desire, you have myriad options to make your own through custom races.

And let's not forget that we're in a thread about a free demo with more content... for free.

You're more than welcome to be sad about it though.

Last edited:
1) Ok. Still a lot of content for the investment.

2) It isn't a primarily online game, but online content makes for fresh gaming options in perpetuity.

3) Compared with 4 it is lacking in number of races, compared to all the others not so much. Let's not forget best-in-business photorealistic models and tracks, a deep physics model that previous entries can't even come close to (even though it still needs work), VR support etc. etc..

The shortcomings are more than made up for in other areas. And if you're lacking in the races you desire, you have myriad options to make your own through custom races.

And let's not forget that we're in a thread about a free demo with more content... for free.

You're more than welcome to be sad about it though.
Are you supposing that this demo will have content that will not be included in GT7, so if you want to use a track in the demo it won't be driveable in GT7, only in the trial demo?

If so, that sounds terrible and very frustrating for GT7 players.

In all of the reading, I still do not see where PC comes into the picture except where previous posts "wishes" for it...
At this point, how and from where can they get fresh players? Considering the existing base of PS4-5 players it's very likely that anyone invested in GT already owns the game, and their other established franchises (Last of Us, God of War, Horizon, etc.) have been successful on PC.

At this point, how and from where can they get fresh players? Considering the existing base of PS4-5 players it's very likely that anyone invested in GT already owns the game, and their other established franchises (Last of Us, God of War, Horizon, etc.) have been successful on PC.
There are so many ways to do so, and successfully by paying attention and being aware. They can either entice folks who are older and likely are racing IRL at track events and make it compelling enough to spend their much more valuable time giving it a shot, likely with venues they drive and translates to IRL, or they entice women, who really get tired of the cultish toxicity of the boy nonsense, which they seem oblivious to, as they often are, or they entice RPG players like forza tried to do with car leveling, and find that is just not how you entice RPG folks with such absurdity, but levels for achievements and progress, we'll let the car collecting leveling slide for now. Or they can entice with story, like the cafe menus scratched the surface on, but others like NFS and even FH have done well with. Seems those put in designer roles lack the experience to know of the past few decades successes and failures and where there are opportunities and where there are already tried and failed road blocks. There are many avenues to include that will entice folks for a myriad of reasons and plenty of examples of how to do it. League building tools and interfaces in game and a website for player created series would go a LONG LONG way. A good track editor entices creative folks of all ages and genders but aren't into grinding economic morass or high stakes racing requiring high precision for long periods of time. These and many more are all sympatico to the growth of community, players, usage, and enjoyment - but clearly history repeats itself in poor ways for those who remain ignorant.

I would not be surprised if this is made mostly to show off PS5/PS5 Pro capabilities. Like how Astro's Playroom shows off what the Dualsense can do

What do you want to bet it has pre-1.49 physics? #easiertodrive

Jerome

In all of the reading, I still do not see where PC comes into the picture except where previous posts "wishes" for it...
Sony made a ton of money off of releasing TLOU/Horizon/God of War/Uncharted/Spider-Man on PC. GT isn't as big an IP as those 5 nowadays, but there's probably still some money in it for them.

The hangup is PD have no PC porting experience, and Sony's lesson from TLOU Part I is that porting isn't trivial even for the best developers. So you'd get them to make a smaller vertical slice first to learn the ropes... which is exactly what this looks like. So it smells suspicious.

I'd go as far as to say if this doesn't go to PC, then GT is the exception to Sony's porting policy and is staying exclusive. Because if it was getting ported, you'd put this demo there.

I'd go as far as to say if this doesn't go to PC, then GT is the exception to Sony's porting policy and is staying exclusive. Because if it was getting ported, you'd put this demo there.
If they want me to buy a PS6 they'd better not port to PC, but maybe they don't make that much money from consoles and much more by selling games.

Back