• Thread starter Duke
  • 18 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
We've been Playstation console gamers since 2000 or so, when we bought our first PS2. We don't play that or our PS3 anymore, but the PS4 is still going strong.

Ordinarily, we would have bought a PS5 soon after the initial rush was over, but of course, that didn't happen for a while, because reasons.

Once in a while, we've considered buying one, but don't really know any compelling games that make it worthwhile. What are the great titles?
  • We like 3D platformers like Ratchet & Clank, the original Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Little Big Planet (OK, that's really 2D), the LEGO adventure games, etc
  • We really like couch co-op if available
  • We really aren't interested in online play
  • Don't mind slightly oddball games
  • Like some puzzle solving
  • I like racing games; preferably with concentration on single-player
  • Not interested in sports games
  • Might be interested in FPS, but again, really don't care for online play
So... is there a reason to spend money on a PS5? Thanks.

Clearly not if you cannot find any reasons and you are happy with your PS4. I’m in the same boat.

Wait and see how the console generation unfolds. PS5 Pro is likely to happen soon. The original PS5 hardware is getting old, and I doubt it will be ideal for future games like GTAVI.

TLDR: Wait for PS5 Pro announcement.

Last edited:
Initially I bought the PS5 for Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart...however, as it turns out, Insomniac practiced double standards and brought the game on Steam.

So now, the only reason I have the PS5 is to enjoy superior versions of games already in the PS4 library.

We've been Playstation console gamers since 2000 or so, when we bought our first PS2. We don't play that or our PS3 anymore, but the PS4 is still going strong.

Ordinarily, we would have bought a PS5 soon after the initial rush was over, but of course, that didn't happen for a while, because reasons.

Once in a while, we've considered buying one, but don't really know any compelling games that make it worthwhile. What are the great titles?
  • We like 3D platformers like Ratchet & Clank, the original Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Little Big Planet (OK, that's really 2D), the LEGO adventure games, etc
  • We really like couch co-op if available
  • We really aren't interested in online play
  • Don't mind slightly oddball games
  • Like some puzzle solving
  • I like racing games; preferably with concentration on single-player
  • Not interested in sports games
  • Might be interested in FPS, but again, really don't care for online play
1 good reason for me is, smoother gameplay and cleaner image for most games, especially the ps4 games in back compatibility. Although not all sadly get improved that much.

Unless you have a ps4 pro, which would already have improved on this for ps4 games.

Last edited:
Astro Bot releases on September 6 and it looks extremely promising and will probably scratch that classic 3D platforming itch; that game has gotten me to consider a PS5 more strongly even though I’m primarily on PC now (else I wait for the inevitable PC port). You’ll get a taster with Astro’s Playroom (packed in with the console). Other games that I think line up with the criteria above:
  • Animal Well
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • F1 24 (depending on your interest in F1)
  • Grid Legends (honestly the most single-player focused racing game of the lot, moreso than GT7 IMO)
  • The Talos Principle II (great choice for a puzzler)
  • I’m sure there are plenty of indie games out there that fit the ‘oddball’ description, but I can’t think of any on top of my head.

The SSD also greatly helps with load times versus the PS4, which should make the experience that much better for your PS4 games (provided you choose the disc model).

Ultimately I think the choice is up to your budget. If you’re in a good spot then go for it, but it’s better to hold off if you’re trying to save money.

To each his own, but to me Sony has the best and most diverse exclusives, by far. That’s a good enough reason for me anyway.

Last edited:
It’s a big improvement in all areas, it just depends on what your financial situation is. I would probably wait for the PS5 Pro.

Astro’s Playroom is free and kind of short, but it’s still one of the best 3d platform games around imo. The full game Astro Bot is coming out next month too.

My favourite oddball game so far has been Death Stranding Director’s Cut. Death Stranding 2 comes out next year.

As far as games go, GT7 was always gonna be a big one but God Of War, Tekken 8 and several other games, along with barely existing load times, were reasons that really pushed me to try and get one (That and a PS5 version of one my previous PS4 games was pretty convincing too).

And one convenience I personally like is how FAR easier it is to clean then the PS4. I'd have to send off the PS4 to have it really cleaned out since I don't have any confidence that I can take it apart and give it a good dusting like I regularly do with my PC. PS5 however, I can do it all myself and know for sure its clean..

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is pretty solid 3D platformer from Sumo Digital, although it makes you miss the DIY design of prior LittleBigPlanet games. It does have a PS4 version though.

Astro's Playroom is an essential playthrough with it being a short but effective tech demo for the system and its controller, as well as being a great tribute to the history of PlayStation. Its sequel is easily my most anticipated PS5 game, surpassing Death Stranding 2.

NFS: Unbound, I had a hundred hours of fun with it. It's not for everyone with its style, its gameplay and physics, the story is pretty lame and the soundtrack incredibly divisive, but I was able to make it my own. I stopped playing online when Vol. 6 came around, when the meta became overwhelming and the speed pass rewards no longer interested me, but I still had my fun.

Gran Turismo 7 should only be played on PS5 thanks to the adaptive triggers and the SSD making loading times blazing fast, but I reckon the single-player may be underwhelming. It is basically a tutorial for all of the game's features, not the CaRPG people were hoping for. Still there is time to waste playing through all of the single-player races, all of the circuit experiences, all of the licence tests and mission challenges.

Humanity is an amazing puzzle game that harkens back to the brutalist aesthetic of early 3D puzzle games of the PS1 era like Intelligent Qube.

What I've played of Penny's Big Breakaway demo is very promising, will definitely buy a physical copy once I comes out, even through it's already available in digital.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, I own physical copies of both and have yet to play them. I also barely played Art of Rally, even though I really enjoyed Absolute Drift.

MSZ
I don't see any good reasons to buy a PS5 now if you have already waited for this long.

Wait for the PS5 Pro.
This is correct I believe, if the PS4 is enough for you guys, then just wait. The ps4 games are already really good and are cheaper than ps5 atm.

Last edited:
I'm going to echo what others have said - I'd wait for the PS5 Pro to launch before buying a PS5. Even if you don't get the Pro I imagine there will be some good deals to be had on the regular console.

Compared to the ancient artifact that is the PS4, the PS5 loads games a hell of a lot quicker, doesn’t sound like a jet engine, the controller is fantastic and it has vastly superior current-gen versions of games.

It likely won’t drop much in price when the Pro comes out, as that one will just be priced at a higher premium point instead of as a same-cost replacement, so jump aboard now.

It's all been said by others already, but for me the biggest game-changer is the load times due to the SSD. It does make the biggest difference.

Unlike previous generations, there's so many games that are available for both the PS4 and PS5, that making that jump isn't so clear-cut. If you come from a PS4 Pro, with its upscaling to 4K, even the graphical upgrade to the PS5 is visually negligable. Its only really the framerate advantages that stand out, IMO.

There will come a time when new games are no longer supported on the PS4 so upgrading to a PS5, especially the supposedly upcoming PS5 Pro, will give you an element of future-proofing. Plus you can still play virtually all your PS4 games on it, which you couldn't do with older PSs so much.

Storage is the downside to the current PS5. With around 800GB to play with, you only need half a dozen or so digital games and their save files stored on it to fill it up. You can buy and easily fit extra M2 memory, but thats going to add another $150 to your price (for a more useful 2TB). Obviously no specs out yet for the Pro, but i would hope that a larger capacity SSD is part of it.

OK, thanks, everyone. I was mostly looking for PS5-exclusive or PS5-dependent titles that would make it worth buying one.

Sounds like we might as well wait until the PS5 Pro, and get a 4K TV at that time too (current TV is pretty old ancient). We do have a 2TB external SSD on our PS4, since so many of the games are so huge. No reason not to do something similar when we get the 5.

For must have PS5 exclusives my votes go to Spider Man 2 and Ratchet and Clank, amazing next gen graphics from a great developer, I would also add FF7 Rebirth as an amazing game if you are into RPG's, plus do not underestimate Astro's Play room which comes pre installed on the PS5.

A lot of people also recommend Demon Souls and Returnal, not my kind of games but they are widely regarded.

And my personal favourite game is not an actual next gen exclusive but as the PS4 version is so poor I would consider it as such, and that is Cyberpunk 2077.

There hasn't been many next gen exclusives but the list is growing by the day and it's a great time to make the leap.

Back