Government says, "All your banks are belong to US." (was Freddie and Fannie thread)

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 208 comments
One of the GOP Congressman from Connecticut was on MSNBC this morning suggesting that if we cannot address the "bailout," we need to get on to increasing the FDIC amounts sooner than later. I've heard Democrats suggest a doubling to $200K, the GOP Congressman suggested $300K.

... God forbid we consider free market banking.

Obviously, there was a bug in The System and The Patriots had to correct it. Someone must have gained access to one of the proxy AIs for JD...
Is it possible that the bug was put in the system by someone who thought the were fixing a problem, but instead incited consequences that wouldn't be realized for years to come? Seems to me like a capitalist system would operate just fine according to supply and demand. But when someone sees a problem that isn't actually a problem--hey let's give poor people free money they can't pay back--then they fix the fake problem. There's your bug. Now we're suffering unforeseen consequences of fake solution to a fake problem. And it was because someone was being nice. I like how the laws in this country don't give any provisions for courtesy. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, etc.

But then again you have to wonder if it's even possible to modify a system unnaturally. Maybe America has changed and is on its way to a communist revolution...

Last edited:
Belongs in the opinions forum in the Fannie/Freddie thread - and it has been covered there at length.

Well the Senate is regrouping and are trying to pass this crap by attaching it to a more popular bill.

It would be awesome if Andrew Jackson and Thomas Jefferson came back and just pwned everyone and the central bank.

^^^Classic!

I wonder how this is all going to pan out?

What would a reasonable bail-out amount or plan be... more money like some banks contend... or less, like the politicians are asking for?

RE: doctor question... it might make more sense if we consider those doctors as selling billions of dollars worth of narcotics to druggies without once asking how they were going to pay for them or what they were going to use them for.

House of Reps? Who needs 'em? The Federal Reserve just tossed $630 billion into the economy anyways
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a9MTZEgukPLY&refer=home

Doesn't directly address the banks that are going under... but it helps, anyway.

What would a reasonable bail-out amount or plan be... more money like some banks contend... or less, like the politicians are asking for?

It wouldn't be a bail-out.

RE: doctor question... it might make more sense if we consider those doctors as selling billions of dollars worth of narcotics to druggies without once asking how they were going to pay for them or what they were going to use them for.

If home buying were an illegal, addictive, self-destructive behavior, I might agree.

It wouldn't be a bail-out.

Maybe if we called it a "rescue" more people would like it?

Its hard to say what the better option would be. Not being completely in-tune with economics, I don't have good answers. Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a "pick/choose" status with what the GOP and DNC folks have been talking about.

...I should find out what my Congressman says about it...

Although I applaud the attempts to resolve this crisis with a bilateral/non-partisan approach, I can't help but wonder what damage this debacle is doing to the Republican party, with 2/3rds of the party failing to support the President (although arguably it is the President who is failing to tow the party line)... perhaps it is very fortuitous timing that this is happening now and not 3 years ago... or in 6 months time (well, it might very well still be happening then...) but in terms of revealing GWB as a lame duck president, it has been devastating.

In many regards, however, it is heartening to see that even the President cannot simply muster blind support in the blinking of an eye...

Foolkiller
YSSMAN
Maybe if we called it a "rescue" more people would like it?
Then it would be a lie.
A case in point... GWB continually refers to the package as a "rescue plan", not a bail-out...

edit: And look, more doctor analogies :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/oct/01/useconomy.congress

Last edited:
Although I applaud the attempts to resolve this crisis with a bilateral/non-partisan approach, I can't help but wonder what damage this debacle is doing to the Republican party, with 2/3rds of the party failing to support the President (although arguably it is the President who is failing to tow the party line)... perhaps it is very fortuitous timing that this is happening now and not 3 years ago... or in 6 months time (well, it might very well still be happening then...) but in terms of revealing GWB as a lame duck president, it has been devastating.

In many regards, however, it is heartening to see that even the President cannot simply muster blind support in the blinking of an eye...

A case in point... GWB continually refers to the package as a "rescue plan", not a bail-out...

edit: And look, more doctor analogies :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/oct/01/useconomy.congress

I counter your Stiglitz: http://blog.mises.org/archives/008539.asp

:)

Right. "Rescue Plan" is the official term. Bailout is a media created term, that just happens to better define it.

Perhaps Economic Armageddon Protection Plan That Creates Bigger Problems Plan is a better title?

*bump* The House Votes for $810B "Rescue Plan"

Read about it here on Politico

Interesting to note that Speaker Pelosi just noted that it would have been nice if "we had a better bill," something that has been said by many representatives in both houses, all of which is usually followed up by the phrase "something had to be done."

The issue now is whether or not this will un-freeze the credit markets, which is beginning to cause big issues companies both big and small.

*bump* The House Votes for $810B "Rescue Plan"

Read about it here on Politico

Interesting to note that Speaker Pelosi just noted that it would have been nice if "we had a better bill," something that has been said by many representatives in both houses, all of which is usually followed up by the phrase "something had to be done."

The issue now is whether or not this will un-freeze the credit markets, which is beginning to cause big issues companies both big and small.
Historic bailout bill passes Congress; Bush signs
and the url say http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/financial_meltdown

If home buying were an illegal, addictive, self-destructive behavior, I might agree.

what he is reffering to is how people who do drugs are only aware of a certain aspect of the drugs (homebuying) and aren't aware of the side affects or permenant damage.

what he is reffering to is how people who do drugs are only aware of a certain aspect of the drugs (homebuying) and aren't aware of the side affects or permenant damage.

I don't know how anyone who buys a house isn't be aware of the "side affects". It's spelled out in the contract you sign for the loan. You even have to sign something acknowledging that your house might lose value. If you're that careless with that much money, you deserve to get spanked.

The Pope is right. However, your Archbishop of Canterbury isn't. The bible constantly calls for honest weights and measures. So to compare our banking system to a house on sand is a pretty good analogy. I'm assuming the word of God is an honest system of measures, which, indeed, is the only way to have a solid foundation.

The Pope is right. However, your Archbishop of Canterbury isn't. The bible constantly calls for honest weights and measures. So to compare our banking system to a house on sand is a pretty good analogy. I'm assuming the word of God is an honest system of measures, which, indeed, is the only way to have a solid foundation.

Wow. Now THAT was a reach. Impressively done sir.

Back