Gr 1 - Prototype Endurance series - which car to buy?

• Thread starter GA 52
  • 60 comments
Here's what I've worked out since I've also simulated mini endurance runs with the Gr.1 cars in the Custom Races even before the GT League came out:

I'll make this simple - it's basically a gang war between real life LMP1s and VGTs.

- VGTs are obviously faster than the LMP1s in terms of speed in general, along with the wider range of power tuning. Their weakness is their endurance capability. Even the hybrid VGTs sip way more fuel than the LMP1s. Some notable exceptions are the Bugatti and Hyundai which can humiliate the real life rivals with their handling.
Interesting that you say this because I think that the Porsche 919 is a better handling car...

God Rob - I'm an idiot and am embarrassed, can't even find out how to n on my fuel......... sorry. --It looks like we have the same steering wheel.
Hahaha no need to be embarrassed and i don't think you are an idiot either, taking some pictures for you, because you can't turn on fuel consumption through your wheel, pictures coming very soon...

Edit.

to see if the fuel map showing up, go to Arcade-Custom Race- choose any track and car and turn on fuel consumption here:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180113015213.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180113015225.jpg

try 2x and start the race and scroll through the MFD and the fuel map should show up.

Last edited:
Great stuff again from you Rob! It work there - but when I go to daily races and race the One Make or todays Gr3 at Alsace Village - it will not show UP there. I know we are off the topic of the Main issue in this thread Rob but to make sure I fully understand can you confirm it can only be used in races where it is allowed by that race rules?

I just did this with the Bugatti VGT because it was the only eligible car I have. I finished only 15 seconds ahead due to overshooting the pit lane once and having to back up the track to re-enter which cost me 20 seconds, and lollygagging around the last 2 laps trying to get the race to finish in 32 laps, not 33. RS tires and fuel map at 1-2 first stint, RS tires second stint with fuel map at 3 until the in-lap, then RSS tires and fuel map at 1 to the finish.

Reminded me of the old days of GT4, which is a good thing. 👍

Last edited:
Ran this with the 919. 1st stint was with SS and that lasts about 15 minutes. 2nd was Medium and that went around 25 minutes and used a full tank. 2nd was again with Medium and I ended up with 35 laps and 2nd place around 40 seconds behind.

Great stuff again from you Rob! It work there - but when I go to daily races and race the One Make or todays Gr3 at Alsace Village - it will not show UP there. I know we are off the topic of the Main issue in this thread Rob but to make sure I fully understand can you confirm it can only be used in races where it is allowed by that race rules?
I don't play sport mode, so i don't know if fuel consumption is on in those races, but in GT League it will tell you if the races have fuel consumption on or off:

this is set rules and can't be changed by us, so here the MFD will not show the fuel map
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180113114907.jpg

but here the MFD will show the fuel map
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180113114852.jpg

And yes, it can only be used in custom races or in races when the fuel consumption is on by race rules.

I used the GT-R LM on hards. I think I pitted every 8 laps though 9 is probably doable. I didn't bother messing with the fuel map until the end when I wasn't sure if I'd have enough left in the tank. I think my margin of victory was around half a minute. I only ran 33 laps but that's because I didn't feel like 34 so I ran out the last few seconds at the line. Set up properly the car doesn't understeer much and has great midrange acceleration. If you're using the stock gearing exiting corners in second gear will help. Though the way I geared it third redlined at around 130 mph and I could safely exit corners in third. Once you learn how to drive it properly the GT-R LM is seriously fast around the track.

Last edited:
I don't play sport mode, so i don't know if fuel consumption is on in those races, but in GT League it will tell you if the races have fuel consumption on or off:

this is set rules and can't be changed by us, so here the MFD will not show the fuel map
View attachment 706087

but here the MFD will show the fuel map
View attachment 706086

And yes, it can only be used in custom races or in races when the fuel consumption is on by race rules.
Thanks Rob - I understand! :) . Have a FAB day!

I won the Hyundai N 2025 VGT the other day - tried it on the endurance race - it was a slight struggle.... - could not at all copy / paste how I did it with the Porsche 919. Ended up going RSS from beginning to end and then I made it - but was unsure all the way up to lap 28 on my fuel consumption but it went okay at the end. Just don't get super high on the rev's - 90/95% and you're safe . :)

I bought the Nissan and sold it again, it was fast, no question about that, but i couldn't control the front wheel spin with controller, even with all aids on :embarrassed:.
@GA 52 my favorite is the Porsche 919, it's fast and fairly easy to drive with a controller, at least with all aids on which i always use :).
My second choice is the Toyota TS050 and my third choice is the newest Audi R18.
Rob, did you mean the Toyota TS030? I don't have the TS050?

Rob, did you mean the Toyota TS030? I don't have the TS050?
No, but the TS030 isn't that bad either, i can's say which one is the fastest, i bought the TS030 some days ago, but i haven't been driving it enough yet to say which one is the best of the TS030 and the TS050.

The Audi is really really good on fuel.
No, but the TS030 isn't that bad either, i can's say which one is the fastest, i bought the TS030 some days ago, but i haven't been driving it enough yet to say which one is the best of the TS030 and the TS050.
Agree with both of you - I compared Audi and TS030 with TS050.. - the TS050 is really a big step up - great on fuel and tire wear and speed wise lap-times faster than both of them. Got me some credit in the bank now - so I gotta buy me some Samba-buses. Thanks for your feedback - appreciated.

Just realised how much "boost" effects this race after just playing it again. I was in a Toyota TS030 with the power decreased to 444hp and the weight increased to 945kg. Not a particularly fast machine in that spec and I was doing 1:49-1:50 laps.

The front running Peugeot VGT was doing around 1:48 dead laps so was comfortably pulling away from me. By his second stint his lap time were dropping between 1:49-1:50. Third stint he's doing from mid 1:51 to low 1:53 laps... just kept getting slower and slower for no reason.

Whereas my car seems to be getting faster and faster and even with worn tyres I managed to lap in the 1:48s two laps in a row near the very end of the race. So instead of losing 1-2 seconds a lap I'm instead gaining 3-5 seconds!

Managed to win comfortably by around 15-20 seconds after the Toyota pitted on the penultimate lap. I probably would've overtook him anyway as I had closed to around 2 seconds.

Not a fan of "scripted" victories so I'll be leaving this race now and sticking to the custom races where you can turn boost off.

Which car did you guys use for the GR1 Protoype Endurance at Sainte Croix? I just ran it in the Toyota TS050 or whatever the hell it's called, and used fuel lean map and RH tyres the entire race, and was only able to place 6th. The first place guy was full steam ahead by like a minute and I had no chance. I don't remember the nurburgring endurance being this hard?

Which car did you guys use for the GR1 Protoype Endurance at Sainte Croix? I just ran it in the Toyota TS050 or whatever the hell it's called, and used fuel lean map and RH tyres the entire race, and was only able to place 6th. The first place guy was full steam ahead by like a minute and I had no chance. I don't remember the nurburgring endurance being this hard?

I tried to do this one in the 962C (1 stop) and got absolutely smoked. ~20 seconds down per lap.

Tried again in the 919 (1 stop) and won by a couple minutes.

Since St. Croix has so many slow 90 degree corners I think you’d be better off with 3 stops, mediums, and full power on the fuel map.

Nevermind....like you, I relied on my trusty 919 and smoked them to kingdom come. Fuel map on 4, three stops and RH Tyres. Won by 35 seconds but that;'s only because I spun out a couple times.

Not sure what the hype is all about with the TS050. I don't particularly care for it. *shurg*

Problem with threads like this is that the handling model changes to such a degree over the years..... yeah "over the years"... this is where we're at in Sport.

I have always loved the Audi R18 2016 since it was given to me pretty early but its a very different car now. I still use it for all standard courses.

For top speed work I use the McLaren VGT... still the top speed king. I use it for the Tokyo high speed runs, Monza etc.

I have all the Group 1 cars... if I didnt get them for free I bought them. I have at least driven the LMP-H cars but sadly my impressions are dated as my dalliances with the P919 and TS050 etc. were all several patches ago and I just didnt click with the cars.

To give you an example of how much things have changed... the McLaren was a petrol car with almost insane cornering... almost RBR x2014 like but they since hobbled it down and it now has a visible hybrid system attached.

It clearly didnt have a hybrid battery gauge before. So I've had to relearn this car thru several 'undocumented versions'. Same with the R18.

St Croix is easy with the McLaren.

I used the 787B, not because it is the best of the best, but because I enjoy it immensely. Life is too short to pick the best car, pick the fun ones! :D

toyota gr1010, tso3o is good for endurance,for gr1 prototype series, the best is red bull x2019 25 anniversary edition,mclaren vgt and the cars mentioned above are all awesome.

Latest Posts

Back