Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 182 comments
Isn't this just getting closer to what they originally promised with the PS5 hype! 🤔 What happened to that 3D audio modelled on users ears! :rolleyes:

The PS5 Pro being so much more than the base model, and the state of the world financially, I can't see it selling well. But with that price hike, they will be making should be making more on each Pro in comparison, or at least losing less, if they indeed sell them at a loss. ;)

I always find it funny that the graphics were amazing, right up to the point the new version comes out. :lol:

I love GT7 and my PS5, but I can't see much point in this - upselling a $700 console on the promise of a graphics update that frankly isn't needed and will likely only be of benefit to a small fraction of people who have the displays to notice it seems... weird.

Of course there may well be future upgrades that PS5 Pro owners can enjoy exclusively, but that too seems like a bad idea given that it will only alienate us 'PS5 Amateur' owners even more.

I guess the crux is whether PD can devote enough time to rectifying some of the game's more obvious flaws before offering questionably unnecessary updates to the few who need their ray-tracing in real time, and their consoles with moar black stripes on it.
Engineers working on the game engine will not be responsible for content and game design.

If anything the efficiencies needed to run PSVR2 acceptably on PS5 has benefited PS4 performance. While pushing technology like RT and getting experience with PSSR should help GT8.

The fact PD have been ready day one, and with class leading implementation, shows they're pretty efficient.
I always find it funny that the graphics were amazing, right up to the point the new version comes out. :lol:
The tale of this gen is you either have great graphical fidelity or good performance. GT7 is one of the few titles with both, but we still don't have RT during gameplay. Most other improvements will be incremental, but that's the nature of driving sims.

Last edited:
on CNET there is written that the PSSR works in the VR2 games too
"Cerny said the Pro will allow higher-resolution games on the PSVR 2 thanks to the GPU boost and eventually a tuning of Sony's AI upscaling that will work with all VR games. No specific PSVR 2 upgraded games have been announced yet."
Not mentioned for GT7. It's a feature that will eventually be added. Just like 8k was a feature to be added for the original PS5 as printed on the box. That eventually got removed.
I am pretty annoyed by the marketing on this, it should in my view be mostly about the combined power of Pro and VR. For it to be a side note and of things eventually happening. My optimism is downscaling.
But I still hope PD are working on a nice treat for us in VR. Sony not so much as a whole. Unless they are already focusing dually on PSVR3 and PS6...

Last edited:
That is a bit scary to plunk $2000(it’s about $125+ $1060AUD + $880AUD GT7/PS5Pro/PSVR2) in November(or September 26 pre-order) and then buy a whole new console in a couple years. Wonder if it will be even scarier for Sony if they release Gran Turismo for pc. However, I guess not many casual console players will switch to pc gaming.

My PS4 Pro needs to break before I will consider this.
I thought that way as well, but, have been reading load screens speed differential - are much quicker - has made me reconsider... I do not have much time to "play" and sitting in front of the tele waiting for a screen to load long enough to go for a smoke break has me reconsidering.
On top of that, "The Missus" wants me to buy a tv for the office and get my "racecar" out of the living room... so, I kinda have support...
But $$$... arg... I can afford it... can I justify it?
Miscellaneous ramblings...

Wonder if it will be even scarier for Sony if they release Gran Turismo for pc. However, I guess not many casual console players will switch to pc gaming.
Hmmm... interesting perspective... and if it does go PC... (given my "racecar" move to teh office - above) is it time to evaluate I-Racing?

Well, I am looking in the near future at getting a pc for Raceroom. It’ll open the door to more possibilities than that for sure. With the PSVR2 adapter for pc it seems like a step towards a broader reach for Sony.

Wonder if it will be even scarier for Sony if they release Gran Turismo for pc.
I strongly doubt that it will never happen.

Sony isn't like Microsoft. MS can ditch the xbox and put games on PC because they'll still be running on an MS operating system, ergo they can still make ancillary profits (every PC sold means money for MS).

Sony would have to have a business collapse like Sega had and abandon the Playstation hardware, which for the moment is still a money maker. I mean, look at us talking about the new PS5 Pro. Many (myself included) still like to plunk ourselves down, on a sofa, in front of a TV, with a controller.

I have said it for decades (literally) and had push back every time I say it, and I have yet to be proven wrong: Sony makes GT to sell Playstations. If they stop trying to sell Playstations, Gran Turismo will cease to exist. GT is Sony's Mario, it's Sony's Sonic the Hedgehog.

I know PD can’t given PS4 and 5 versions of GT7, but Real Time Global Illumination (RTGI) would truly be transformational for GT. Every track would have full 24 hour lighting, and for PD there’d be a huge benefit in workflow as it would eliminate the need to produce multiple baked lighting versions of each track.

GT8 maybe.
Unless Sony stuffs a Nvidia 4090 into the mix (I can't wait to hear the moaning over the $2500+ price tag), that's not happening.

I thought that way as well, but, have been reading load screens speed differential - are much quicker - has made me reconsider... I do not have much time to "play" and sitting in front of the tele waiting for a screen to load long enough to go for a smoke break has me reconsidering.
On top of that, "The Missus" wants me to buy a tv for the office and get my "racecar" out of the living room... so, I kinda have support...
But $$$... arg... I can afford it... can I justify it?
Miscellaneous ramblings...

Hmmm... interesting perspective... and if it does go PC... (given my "racecar" move to teh office - above) is it time to evaluate I-Racing?
Racecar in living room lol...that made my day

I’m probably going to be a Guinea pig as I’m giving my daughter my current PS5 and I’ll get the Pro. If the PSVR2 lenses can render like my tv that would be incredible.
Yup same for me my son has PS5 but my daughter is getting into gaming so I will give her my PS5 and get PS5 pro! I’m hoping the same!!

John Cleese once asked, during filming issues for Monty Python & the Holy Grail "is the fog funny?"

His point being that the joke had nothing to do with fog, so why waste so much budget and time getting it right?

PS5 Pro, to me, is a literal physical iteration of this. Time Crisis 2 on PS2 has more realistic graphics and more detailed smoke than the arcade original. Is it better to play than arcade? No. Because the peripheral was nowhere the same build quality, the foot pedal in the arcade destroyed the shotgun grip at home, and the overall performance of the cab beat the disc.

Sure, PS5 Pro can allegedly do both performance mode and fidelity at the same time... so can OG Spiderman on PS5, no new console needed.

I truly cannot see who this console is for, GT7's ray traced car models looked nice for spectating, but in a race, why would I care? Will it make me go faster? ... I doubt it

Last edited:
Oh, sweet, 8K! Now I just need (AUD) $1,380 for the console, $7,695 for the 85" 8K TV, $159 for the optical drive... awww man, that's ovee $9k and I can't fit the $49 vertical stand in the budget.

I guess I'll save up for the PS6 Pro Max Ultra that can do (checkerboard) 8K 120fps in GT8, and 1440p60 in GTA VI (Fidelity mode).

So given there is now an 8k mode, it makes sense to assume we will get native 4k in each eye on vr. The current ps5 cannot do that, it's upscaled so I would be expecting an improvement to draw distance and detail or ray tracing with the lower resolution we have now. Whether this warrants the upgrade or not I don't know so will wait until I get more details, that said playing COD at 120hz with max 4k detail will also be good! Deffo not time to buy an 8k TV yet in my eyes though, that will be for the ps6!

I wonder about the chances of GTWS Tokyo or World Finals running on pre-production PS5 Pro units? Though now that I thought about it, GTWS Tokyo is way too early for them to do that.

I strongly doubt that it will never happen.

Sony isn't like Microsoft. MS can ditch the xbox and put games on PC because they'll still be running on an MS operating system, ergo they can still make ancillary profits (every PC sold means money for MS).

Sony would have to have a business collapse like Sega had and abandon the Playstation hardware, which for the moment is still a money maker. I mean, look at us talking about the new PS5 Pro. Many (myself included) still like to plunk ourselves down, on a sofa, in front of a TV, with a controller.

I have said it for decades (literally) and had push back every time I say it, and I have yet to be proven wrong: Sony makes GT to sell Playstations. If they stop trying to sell Playstations, Gran Turismo will cease to exist. GT is Sony's Mario, it's Sony's Sonic the Hedgehog.
We're deep into the second console generation where this mentality has largely been moot. Sony has to deal with the same market realities that Microsoft does no matter how many rakes Phil Spencer steps on. The (non-Nintendo) console market is stagnant, development costs are ever increasing and customer resistance to higher prices gets louder and louder no matter how often Geoff Keighley tries to run interference about inflation. Sony has neither the desire nor the ability to take it to the extent Microsoft has, but the change in perspective for how much they want you to buy a box with Sony on it to buy their games in just the past five years has been dramatic.
I don't think it will pan out for GT7 because of how long it has already been on sale and it also being a PS4 game, but there should be no surprise from everyone if the next Gran Turismo game falls under Sony's specifically stated PC release cadence for live service games. Sony doesn't get any money from people buying copies of Windows and they probably really wish they didn't have to give Valve any money, but they (just like Microsoft does) still get lots of money from game sales and microtransactions from the gaming market which actually is growing and actually does have people who wouldn't buy Playstation games otherwise.

It's not 2010 anymore. Playstation is no longer a Japanese entity, Polyphony Digital is no longer Sony's main tastemaker and Gran Turismo is far removed from being the notable juggernaut system selling cornerstone franchise that it was before Naughty Dog/Insomniac/Sucker Punch all stopped making 3D platformers. I can't think of any reason Gran Turismo games exist as an anomaly on the market for increasing development costs vs stagnant returns (even ignoring that the way to make the most money with a live service game is to have it on as many platforms as possible), nor any reason to think it is is sacred when the various prestige Sad Dad single player games that Sony in 2024 actually considers their Mario or Sonic have been being ported to PC to good sales for a while now.

Last edited:
I love GT7 and my PS5, but I can't see much point in this - upselling a $700 console on the promise of a graphics update that frankly isn't needed and will likely only be of benefit to a small fraction of people who have the displays to notice it seems... weird.

Of course there may well be future upgrades that PS5 Pro owners can enjoy exclusively, but that too seems like a bad idea given that it will only alienate us 'PS5 Amateur' owners even more.

I guess the crux is whether PD can devote enough time to rectifying some of the game's more obvious flaws before offering questionably unnecessary updates to the few who need their ray-tracing in real time, and their consoles with moar black stripes on it.
Agreed. Not once have I played GT and thought "I wish the graphics were better".

I would only consider upgrading to PS5 Pro if something like Assetto Corsa EVO were ported specifically to take advantage of the additional power. Until then I'll save my money.

Isn't this just getting closer to what they originally promised with the PS5 hype! 🤔 What happened to that 3D audio modelled on users ears! :rolleyes:

It's in the PS5 and has been since launch...

3D audio even has its own menu and the "height adjustment" is what addresses the "modelled on user's ears" element of the feature. That's really as good as this feature can get without Sony literally turning up and scanning your ears.

It's in the PS5 and has been since launch...

3D audio even has its own menu and the "height adjustment" is what addresses the "modelled on user's ears" element of the feature. That's really as good as this feature can get without Sony literally turning up and scanning your ears.
If you own one of Sonys high end headphones like me, they actually ask for a picture of your ears.

I wonder about the chances of GTWS Tokyo or World Finals running on pre-production PS5 Pro units? Though now that I thought about it, GTWS Tokyo is way too early for them to do that.
they got PS5 Pro demo units already so technically they might be in the Tokyo GTWS because of TGS

Last edited:
Back