Gran Turismo 7 Undocumented Changes Thread (Update 1.49/1.50)

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 161 comments
Lightning and reflection upgrades. Cars that used to reflect a standard white suit on cockpit view like the Corvette C8 or the E46 M3, now reflect the user racing suit.

Windscreen cockpit reflection have more anti-aliasing apllied to them, look sharper.

The sun is stronger on the car paint reflections.

Bounce lightning is a bit stronger and makes the helmet visor light up the steering wheel.

Smoke rendering is completely diferrent and looks more like the Forza Horizon smoke rendering.

Lightning and reflection upgrades. Cars that used to reflect a standard white suit on cockpit view like the Corvette C8 or the E46 M3, now reflect the user racing suit.
I can confirm this. At first I just noticed my purple visor reflecting on the wheel and dash in the F430 TT but last night we were league racing in the E36 M3 and I could see my actual race suit in the reflection of the dash glass. It's a very low quality render but it's definitely not the generic one you'd see before!

It might be a big placebo but I have the feeling that there are slightly more details in VR as well. Grass also looks more dense, at least on some of the tracks.
In general I think the quality in VR highly depends on the chosen track and the weather. There are conditions where everything looks very dull and boring while on other tracks it looks very very nice.

Utilisaiton of TAA seems to have increased a fair bit. Game is a decent amount blurrier to my eyes and TAA ghosting artifacts have increased drastically, to the point it's impossible to miss.

Same spot/car/speed etc. post and pre-patch. Both in motion screenshots of driving a Gr.3.
1722372090806.png

1722372213648.png

Hugely significant downgrade considering the visual quality of GT7 before. I know it's probably done for performance reasons, as there were definitely parts of the game where it struggled, but it still sucks, the ghosting is dreadful now.

Last edited:
Utilisaiton of TAA seems to have increased a fair bit. Game is a decent amount blurrier to my eyes and TAA ghosting artifacts have increased drastically, to the point it's impossible to miss.

Same spot/car/speed etc. post and pre-patch. Both in motion screenshots of driving a Gr.3.
View attachment 1376831

View attachment 1376833

Hugely significant downgrade considering the visual quality of GT7 before. I know it's probably done for performance reasons, as there were definitely parts of the game where it struggled, but it still sucks, the ghosting is dreadful now.
Hard to justice with these screenshots. Furthermore the daytime settings seem to differ also.

Conditions aren't going to make the wall start phasing out of reality into the sky depending on the time of day.
Are these screenshots taken from the flat or the VR mode?
Played a lot today and couldn’t noticed any downgrades in the visuals.
Some small details looking even a bit better in VR now - could be a placebo.
Some improvements in the lightning and reflections were already added here in the thread.

Are these screenshots taken from the flat or the VR mode?
Played a lot today and couldn’t noticed any downgrades in the visuals.
Some small details looking even a bit better in VR now - could be a placebo.
Some improvements in the lightning and reflections were already added here in the thread.
Flat, PS5, 60fps quality. It's a hard thing to show any better with online compression but you can check any footage from GT7 pre and post patch and notice it in places where it wasn't before. This is from Tidgneys race guide for this week, same spot.

1722374019495.png

This is the same spot, same cars, same conditions now, from April of this year. Same YouTuber, so the quality is the same too.

1722374343889.png

It unfortunately just is what it is. It's there now, no denying it.

Last edited:
Flat, PS5, 60fps quality. It's a hard thing to show any better with online compression but you can check any footage from GT7 pre and post patch and notice it in places where it wasn't before. This is from Tidgneys race guide for this week, same spot.

View attachment 1376839

This is the same spot, same cars, same conditions now, from April of this year. Same YouTuber, so the quality is the same too.

View attachment 1376843

It unfortunately just is what it is. It's there now, no denying it.
Hmm ok. Didn’t notice it during regular gameplay. Furthermore I wouldn’t trust alone on YouTube videos, these ones are so highly compressed.
Overall pretty happy with the update so far.

Hmm ok. Didn’t notice it during regular gameplay. Furthermore I wouldn’t trust alone on YouTube videos, these ones are so highly compressed.

I played since launch, the downgrades has not been to noticable for me, at least not enough to really bother me about it,

But i also only had 1080p tv at the time i bought gt7, did get a 4k tv later.

Even if their is a dawngrade, the graphics still look good to me .

I 100% agree its very good update for me as well👍

Last edited:
I'm not going off YouTube videos, the first pictures were from my console, the 2nd are from YouTube to show that it's not just on my end.

I imagine it's not effecting VR because there is already an overall quality decrease to make it run smoothly. Flat had issues with hitching in certain places, so it seems it took a quality knock to address these.

I'm not going off YouTube videos, the first pictures were from my console, the 2nd are from YouTube to show that it's not just on my end.

I imagine it's not effecting VR because there is already an overall quality decrease to make it run smoothly. Flat had issues with hitching in certain places, so it seems it took a quality knock to address these.
And improved lightning and smoke?
Doesn’t matter?

Doesn’t matter?
I never said anything about that mate, I'm documenting an undocumented change in that TAA utilisation has increased.

I never said the update is rubbish and that nothing else has improved. I think the update is fantastic, I just don't like TAA ghosting. I didn't realise I needed to go through the Undocumented Counsel before my undocumented change is acknowledged?

Last edited:
Question - for any of you with a Fanatec GT DD Pro wheelbase and rim, what driver do you have installed? I got my setup in mid 2023 and haven't updated it since then because I never have had a problem, it's always been great. I read though that for the most recent July update (1.49) that most recommended to update the firmware driver for your wheel as well. When I go to the Fanatec site, I downloaded the most recent driver, which is apparently 455, but that looks like it was released in December 2023. Is there a newer one I'm not seeing? Or is that really the most recent?

Last edited:
I did notice that they removed the replay issue in GTWS races. After a recent patch (pre 1.49) when watching a replay of a WS race it would show the car sitting static on the tarmac for ~80-90 seconds. This was likely the time period in which, in race, the camera would go down the line of cars showing their quali times, deltas, etc.

It looks like since 1.49 the replays start like normal again.

View attachment 1376831

View attachment 1376833

Nice find!

Only ghosting that is annoying to see is the behind the fast car - i really hope that Pro can fix this
maybe-the-worst-ghosting-ive-ever-seen-v0-NmZ3bWY3aWVkMWNiMUEN72lfC7eAxUW_E9b6MTe9zh2Xekijj_HxjVBfuMiM.png

just a extreme example of TAA ghosting which GT7 also has - not bad as this obviously

Last edited:
I'm convinced the majority of this thread is just people experiencing placebo effects and being convinced they're right.

The RB26 cars sound the same. So does the Zonda R - it still sounds like crap and nothing like the real thing. The lighting and smoke are identical to what they were pre-patch.

There really needs to be more vetting here, guys. For what it's worth, I'll pitch in with an actual change that I've noticed - the exaggerated engine braking effect when repeatedly downshifting in cars with non-racing transmissions has finally been fixed.

Last edited:
The traction on the pit exit lane of Le Mans in the 30 minute race is no longer reduced in the wet.
Before the update, if you changed to slicks on a drying up track, the pit lane exit was still wet, which reduced traction so that you skid when applying full throttle. This is no longer the case and you have full traction on slicks on a wet pit exit.

The traction on the pit exit lane of Le Mans in the 30 minute race is no longer reduced in the wet.
Before the update, if you changed to slicks on a drying up track, the pit lane exit was still wet, which reduced traction so that you skid when applying full throttle. This is no longer the case and you have full traction on slicks on a wet pit exit.
This is an overall change to slick tyre behaviour in the wet, not a Le Mans pitlane change.

there is a bug that makes Slicks work on wet track

not by much but still

Last edited:
I'm convinced the majority of this thread is just people experiencing placebo effects and being convinced they're right.

The RB26 cars sound the same. So does the Zonda R - it still sounds like crap and nothing like the real thing. The lighting and smoke are identical to what they were pre-patch.

There really needs to be more vetting here, guys. For what it's worth, I'll pitch in with an actual change that I've noticed - the exaggerated engine braking effect when repeatedly downshifting in cars with non-racing transmissions has finally been fixed.
I agree about the rb26 didint hear any difference, but the zonda r sounds better now louder and cleaner than before, the note however is still the same as before and its not quite right, but at least is clearer now, its not placebo, their is no doubt cars and exhaust notes that has been improved with this update, it might only apply on ps5 and not ps4 but who knows.

Last edited:
Doesn’t matter?
To me any decrease in visuals is stronger than an increase of visuals that havent been present before, especially if 2nd comes at the cost of 1st.
Though I do prefer perfomance even more.

To me any decrease in visuals is stronger than an increase of visuals that havent been present before, especially if 2nd comes at the cost of 1st.
Though I do prefer perfomance even more.
Performance feels very good but since a pretty long time.
I play in performance mode with VRR, framerate is very fluid, also the small stutters on same tracks are gone.
In VR the same, runs very fine.

Quite often, reading this thread reminds me of my wife's contribution to motoring at our house...

"We should put a bit of air in the tyres, I can feel the pressure has gone down slightly in the front left"

(Observation made whilst driving)

I'm like, I love you very much... But no, you can't.

Back