Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,621 comments
-Sophy around N24?! I am more excited about this than all the new cars combined! I just hope we can make it more than one lap.
It is a 3 lap race if I am not mistaken.
-New physics as well. My interest is piqued on this one for sure, especially with an ongoing manu. Changing up the physics half way though the - ridiculously short - season will make things very interesting.
We are all curious of the impact of those changes...

-A new track is definitely welcomed, but I can't help but feel disappointed with the track that was chosen. Very short, narrow track with some Monaco-esque tight turns will not yield good racing, IMO. It'll be very difficult to pass and will likely end up being stale races. I'd much rather see GP type tracks where side-by-side action is available.
I disagree with this idea that "difficult to pass" = poor racing. It may be true from a spectator's perspective but I'm not so sure from a racer's perspective. I'd rather race at Brands Hatch or Laguna Seca or Nordschleife than Monza or Sarthe or St Croix. Maybe it's just me :)

I disagree with this idea that "difficult to pass" = poor racing. It may be true from a spectator's perspective but I'm not so sure from a racer's perspective. I'd rather race at Brands Hatch or Laguna Seca or Nordschleife than Monza or Sarthe or St Croix. Maybe it's just me :)
Agree to disagree, I guess. Side-by-side racing, turn after turn, is the best part of racing in general... from both a viewer's perspective and a driver's perspective.

Which race in this F1's season was more exciting, Monaco or Redbull Ring? I know my answer.

Not to mention, there were some fantastic races held there, in GT5 Prologue, GT5, and GT6. I had a blast online with that course.

I wonder how much more difficult/"realistic" they can make this game before their core audience starts to get upset.

I only pose that question because I was talking about FFB for wheeled users and another forum dweller took issue with whatever I said and really harped on the fact that a majority of the fanbase use controllers. IIRC, I think he/she took issue with me wanting more dev time for FFB/wheels and they didn't want a loss for controller development (pretty selfish imo but whatever lol).

I just wonder at what level of "realism" does the game start to unravel for controller usage due to the limitations of the peripheal? Maybe there isn't an upper boundary, I have no idea.

All that being said, I'd love for additional levels of realism for SOPHY and the game in general.
I’m an A driver and good time trials fairly often. The entire point of controller input development is to allow it to be competitive, and it is. I’m not sure what your point is because it’s clear that the game could be more challenging and more realistic for the dedicated players who want it, thus making it an option.

I’m an A driver and good time trials fairly often. The entire point of controller input development is to allow it to be competitive, and it is. I’m not sure what your point is because it’s clear that the game could be more challenging and more realistic for the dedicated players who want it, thus making it an option.
I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question. A question that others grasped and responded accurately to.

Agree to disagree, I guess. Side-by-side racing, turn after turn, is the best part of racing in general... from both a viewer's perspective and a driver's perspective.

Which race in this F1's season was more exciting, Monaco or Redbull Ring? I know my answer.
From a spectator's perspective, there is no doubt. From a driver's? Less clear, they all seem to enjoy Monaco still.

Monaco and F1 is the absolute extreme example of difficult to pass though, I don't think it's a fair example. I don't personally like the track but you can pass just fine at Tsukuba.

It's exactly that for some of us.

No offense, but I kind of find it rude when people go, "Why would anybody...?" without fully thinking things through. =/
You're literally chastising me for not "thinking things through" while quoting the part where I excluded disability from my comment.

So strange.
It’s rare for me to see drivers lose control and manage to get it back if they’re on a wheel. When you’re following them and see their car start to turn, most of the time, they’re just headed for the wall or off track. It almost looks like they’re doing it on purpose too. And it feels like it’s happening in slow motion haha

I think that could be improved on. I don’t know what it’s called but it’s like you cannot countersteer quick enough.

It’s happened to me in high horsepower cars, accelerating down a straight, tire breaks loose at like 80 mph from a tiny tiny steering input and the car just drives itself right off the track with literally no hope of catching it. You let off immediately, lightly feather the gas and countersteer like crazy but it just continues on its path.
I don't find what you're saying to be true in my experience. It's rare for me to use any car that is un-catchable with no assists. This goes for high-horse RWD cars, GR1/2/3, mid-engine etc..

I do think there are some instances where anomalies make cars completely uncontrollable (curbs mostly), and have witnessed some of the fastest drivers in the world become unable to recover a car that they probably should have.

There are also a few cars in game that are just awful to drive, especially when modified, but they'd probably be handfuls in real life as well with a bunch of added power.

This is not to say that GT is extremely accurate in this regard, because real world cars often have a MUCH wider area of transition between slip and grip. Drifting cars in game should not be as mind-numbingly difficult as it is, but GT physics, whether it be weight transfer, grip physics, or a combination of both are extremely harsh when compared to these things in reality.

It does train us to be hyper-vigilant in these areas though, so for those of us that also play other "sim" titles it's good practice!

You're literally chastising me for not "thinking things through" while quoting the part where I excluded disability from my comment.

So strange.

I don't find what you're saying to be true in my experience. It's rare for me to use any car that is un-catchable with no assists. This goes for high-horse RWD cars, GR1/2/3, mid-engine etc..

I do think there are some instances where anomalies make cars completely uncontrollable (curbs mostly), and have witnessed some of the fastest drivers in the world become unable to recover a car that they probably should have.

There are also a few cars in game that are just awful to drive, especially when modified, but they'd probably be handfuls in real life as well with a bunch of added power.

This is not to say that GT is extremely accurate in this regard, because real world cars often have a MUCH wider area of transition between slip and grip. Drifting cars in game should not be as mind-numbingly difficult as it is, but GT physics, whether it be weight transfer, grip physics, or a combination of both are extremely harsh when compared to these things in reality.

It does train us to be hyper-vigilant in these areas though, so for those of us that also play other "sim" titles it's good practice!
No, he is saying the ffb on wheels is 💩 recently i’ve found that if my in game ffb is set to 6 or greater then the ffb gets muddled. Meaning its harder to determine wheel directionality, load, and grip and the loss of. With ffb in game of 5 things are much better and catching slides is closer to the organic muscle memory it should be. In my experience, if your eyes are telling you somethings wrong with the car, its likely too late. Anyway, this was with a DD+, for reference.

Catching slides, and by extension drifting, has always been pretty easy with a controller. Moving to a wheel was definitely challenging. Better now(for me) than its been for a while though. Hopefully the update improves it.

No, he is saying the ffb on wheels is 💩 recently i’ve found that if my in game ffb is set to 6 or greater then the ffb gets muddled. Meaning its harder to determine wheel directionality, load, and grip and the loss of. With ffb in game of 5 things are much better and catching slides is closer to the organic muscle memory it should be. In my experience, if your eyes are telling you somethings wrong with the car, its likely too late. Anyway, this was with a DD+, for reference.

Catching slides, and by extension drifting, has always been pretty easy with a controller. Moving to a wheel was definitely challenging. Better now(for me) than its been for a while though. Hopefully the update improves it.
I haven't played with a controller regualrly for years, and my T300rs, while supposedly not as communicative as a DD wheel provides plenty of feedback in my eyes (hands). After much practice, finding and maintaining opposite lock is doable, understeer feel is very pronounced, and I know what the rears are doing as well. Thats not to say it couldn't be much better.

I forget what settings I'm at now, I think FFB is at 4, but I find that a LOT of people seem to think more torque = more real, and I find that anything above 5 is unrealistically overpowered. I cannot remember ever having to really manhandle the wheel of any car to remain in control over many years of spirited driving and track days.

My wheel at 4 provides a lot more resistance and feedback than my DD Audi does, or the GTI I'm driving on vacation, though they are examples of modern electric PS setups. That said, my RX7 with PS deleted is still less difficult to turn at speed than anything above 5 on the T300...

I haven't played with a controller regualrly for years, and my T300rs, while supposedly not as communicative as a DD wheel provides plenty of feedback in my eyes (hands). After much practice, finding and maintaining opposite lock is doable, understeer feel is very pronounced, and I know what the rears are doing as well. Thats not to say it couldn't be much better.

I forget what settings I'm at now, I think FFB is at 4, but I find that a LOT of people seem to think more torque = more real, and I find that anything above 5 is unrealistically overpowered. I cannot remember ever having to really manhandle the wheel of any car to remain in control over many years of spirited driving and track days.

My wheel at 4 provides a lot more resistance and feedback than my DD Audi does, or the GTI I'm driving on vacation, though they are examples of modern electric PS setups. That said, my RX7 with PS deleted is still less difficult to turn at speed than anything above 5 on the T300...
I hear ya. A generic wheel weight cause mooooorrrrreeee! Is silly and i agree for road cars 4-5 is a good ball park depending on your wheel. My complaints have more revolved around grip gaining and loss. Which can, of course, be subtle. But they can also be harsh and a bit on the violent side. Anyway, if your driving gr3 and up i think the expectation is the wheel being a bit heavier, more aggressive. In order to get that weight and heft i imagine race cars possess, i chunk the wheel up to 6. Sacrificing wheel directionality, the sensations of inside/middle/outside as it pertains to weight bearing. All that good stuff. Which is a bit of a bummer given i know the wheels capable(pre 1.43 the dd+ was still raw, but awesome..). Im just hoping that the physics workover brings us closer to realism. Not easier, nor harder, just more realistic. Whatever that may be. I mean…they’re the ones with access to race car drivers 🥸

Just rewatched the spec ll trailer for reference, in the trailer it was just the track, cars and sophy 2,0 showcased, and when we got the details about the update on the gt website, we got
Master licences
Weakly challanges
New chili pepper races
New menu books,
Updated custom races etc,

I have a feeling we get something major here as well, that we dont see in the normal standard updates, given how much more going in the trailer than the standard update.

ever since the GT5, they are slowly removing anything that can be daunting to a casual player: so no discernible AI racing in most of the game, no endurance races, no qualifying, nothing that casual player might have a problem with it.
I really miss the qualifying... use to love qualifying a lower classed car in a higher event and giving it a go...
Favorite was the RE Amemiya Asparadrink - enter/qualify/race in a LM event from the GT4 days.
Great fun.

My predictions for what cars will get which events:

Lamborghini Gallardo - European Clubman Cup 600
BMW M3 (E36) - European FR Challenge 550
Ferrari F430 Scuderia - Ferrari Circuit Challenge
Genesis X Gran Racer VGT - Gr.1 Prototype Series
Subaru Impreza WRX STI Rally Car '99 - World Rally Challenge Gr.B

As for the RUF RGT 4.2, I think that could either go into a round of the European Clubman Cup 600 alongside the Gallardo, or the European FR Cup 550 with the M3 E36.

When it comes to Extra Menus, I have no idea if there could be one featuring the cars of this update, though I did have some ideas featuring existing cars:

V8 Ferrari - F430 Scuderia, 308, and the F8
BMW M3 - M3 '89, M3 E36, M3 E92
V10 Lamborghini - Gallardo, Huracan, Huracan GT3

Furthermore, I could see the Toyota Celica Rally Car and Subaru Impreza WRX STI Rally Car being joined by either a Lancer Evolution Rally Car or a Lancia Delta Integrale Rally Car down the line to make up an Extra Menu featuring rally cars of the 1990s. We also still don't have an Extra Menu for some very storied automakers, such as McLaren, but I'd imagine that one in particular would require more models being added - such as the Speedtail, Senna, and/or the road-going P1 - and just might somehow exclude the iconic F1. I don't think we've had an Audi-themed Extra Menu, either, come to think of it, but I think that'd be for similar reasons.

I really miss the qualifying... use to love qualifying a lower classed car in a higher event and giving it a go...
Favorite was the RE Amemiya Asparadrink - enter/qualify/race in a LM event from the GT4 days.
Great fun.
I too miss Qualis. It made the racing more fun instead of starting from the back.

My predictions for what cars will get which events:
[...]

As for the RUF RGT 4.2, I think that could either go into a round of the European Clubman Cup 600 alongside the Gallardo, or the European FR Cup 550 with the M3 E36.
How is it possible? I guess being based on a 911 it is RR or at most AWD, no?

I agree. The fun with GT and its non-racetrack circuits is finding the best overtaking spots and just waiting and watching to make a clean pass at the right time.
I also find that if we race more carefully and without throwing in elbows out hard apex dives, the standard AI seems to respond well.

I also find that if we race more carefully and without throwing in elbows out hard apex dives, the standard AI seems to respond well.
Yep totally agree, in a vaguely balanced car, if you race against the AI trying to avoid all contact and trying to make a legitimately clean pass at a realistic place etc., it's actually pretty raceable a lot of the time. Sure they have their turns where they brake at a weird spot and so on, but it's possible to go a few corners side by side etc. and have a reasonable race overall if you set things up right in Custom Race, it's just a shame it takes so much manual balancing by the user, not helped by Custom Race still being broken in even the most basic ways like not being able to turn Boost off, AI tyre choices etc. etc. etc.

I'd also say I don't agree with the 'hard to catch oversteer' theme either, it seems very well communicated both in terms of visual cues, audio cues, and FFB. There are certainly a few uncatchable instances that revolve around MR cars but that's pretty realistic, if you get an MR past a certain point of rotation you're fighting against a lot of momentum that makes it very hard to catch without scrubbing off a lot of speed.

Other than the slightly annoying understeer 'wobble' / vibration feedback, my only real gripe is the way wheelspin is handled, especially obvious in powerful rear wheel drive cars the rear wheels act like enormous flywheels which I can imagine contributes to this 'uncatchable' oversteer feeling.

If you get enough wheelspeed that's disproportionate to your actual speed, the rear wheels become unstoppable, even if you're completely off the throttle, which is ridiculous.

Easiest example is put slicks on a wet track, spin the wheels up to the top of 5th whilst barely moving, and you can be off the throttle and entirely on the brakes and still the wheels are spinning... It's as if they weigh hundreds of kilos and have almost unlimited rotational momentum. I can see how this could cause unstoppable oversteer, because with a lot of wheelspeed you then suddenly don't have any throttle control over the rear wheels, you lift off but they just keep on spinning which is way, way off reality.

It'll be interesting if this is addressed in the physics update, potentially the wide body / wide offset wheel trapping issue being so common as well, perhaps that's suspension related.

Last edited:
Back