Gran Turismo Crosses Over to Astro’s Playroom With New Special Bot Challenge

• Thread starter Famine
  • 19 comments
full

The fact vanilla Astro's Playroom barely referenced GT was so odd.There's even a Ridge Racer easter egg there but not the best selling PS1 game and biggest Sony franchise.Headscratcher.

So anyone else realise the Follow me (into the Storm) - Astro's Playroom song... is basically just Starlight by Muse?
I love both songs but when I realised haha I was surprised it didn't hit me sooner.

The fact vanilla Astro's Playroom barely referenced GT was so odd.There's even a Ridge Racer easter egg there but not the best selling PS1 game and biggest Sony franchise.Headscratcher.
Gran Turismo is difficult to summarise in a reference/parody because, being tied to the use of licensed cars and circuits, it has not been able to develop a unique and recognisable personality.
A Feisar ship with just 12 polygons and the classic blue and yellow livery is immediately recognisable and reminds one of WipeOut.
But GT does not have something as iconic, the "character" that many players associate with GT is perhaps the skyline.
References can be made by putting the layout of the High Speed Ring perhaps or, more cryptically, with a robot playing with a car going around a castle illuminated by a small moon. But even with the motif they finally used, the little robot dressed as a driver, they had to literally write "Gran Turismo" on the helmet because otherwise the reference would not be understood and it looked like a generic driver.

A Feisar ship with just 12 polygons and the classic blue and yellow livery is immediately recognisable and reminds one of WipeOut.
But GT does not have something as iconic, the "character" that many players associate with GT is perhaps the skyline..
First thought is perhaps the X2019 or the Formula GT.

But GT does not have something as iconic
Though most of the Astro game references are by character, some are just items that would be unique to the games lore or theme, or rely on the while picture of telling what it means.

A single "Gran Astrurismo" player sitting before a CRT could have done that if nothing more specific would have been available.

Though most of the Astro game references are by character, some are just items that would be unique to the games lore or theme, or rely on the while picture of telling what it means.

A single "Gran Astrurismo" player sitting before a CRT could have done that if nothing more specific would have been available.
Or a game disc in one of the consoles in Labo. There's a "BOTCHARTED" disc, for example...

just gaving the gt style logo would be nice.
I thought they could use the x2010 cars but that probably needs Red Bull's aprooval as well

Last edited:
My wife will be satisfied that i play something not-GT for some minutes. :D

Astro is great. Looking forward to the new game and this little challenge.

Apropos of the article and guide, I've been keeping an eye on this since June. I got the update automatically and checked in out of interest to find the message about the first Bot, but there wasn't a lot of info about the others except the Trophy names (which was a clue) and nothing else happened.

I was hoping the GT bot would be #2, but then the July update came and they actually announced (a couple of days later) the order and timings, so I've been waiting for this :lol:

The other two, each of which I got on the day they were released, are no less weird in terms of steps to solve:

For the Bloodborne one you need to stand in a specific place in GPU Jungle/Render Forest near the Bloodborne Bot to make the Bot prison pop up and it has a clock clue on it. There's a clock on the side of a tree nearby (up three platforms) and you have to pause the game while next to it and enter the date for the Bloodborne DLC of 24/11/2015.

The Returnal one is in SSD Speedway/Deep Dataspace. You have to pick up the paint gun, then go stand to the far left of the platform it's on to make the Bot prison pop up. It's got a wee spaceman on the display. Head down the next section, splatting all the enemies EXCEPT THE GREEN GOO SHOOTERS, then jump up onto the top of the same area and make your way back. Coins will appear, and there's a little spaceman figure lying under the biggest one. Let a gooshooter hit you while you're standing on it and that'll unlock the Bot.

Ape Escape next month will be weird.

So anyone else realise the Follow me (into the Storm) - Astro's Playroom song... is basically just Starlight by Muse?
I love both songs but when I realised haha I was surprised it didn't hit me sooner.
I did notice that! Kinda annoyed me cuz the chord progression doesn't quite resolve the same way and I keep expecting it to cuz it sounds so similar. 😂

Latest Posts

Back