Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Announced for 2024 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 141 comments
Well, it was true that we are starting the race with an almost empty tank, but, as I suspected, not empty enough to be an issue. I had good vibes with this race (and don't understand the hate).

I only did one quali lap due to traffic, and it was good enough to Q2.

I promoted to P1 in the first turn; there was contact, but I think I did nothing wrong. Then I just had to keep my pace taking advantage of the fight between P2 and P3.

View attachment 1354819

Nice win! I'm not seeing much fuel saving here. Did it feel like you were coasting?

Is it possible to run out of battery charge? I ran out of…something…coming out of the corkscrew on the last lap and lost 5 positions. I assumed fuel at the time, but don’t actually remember if it was fuel or if the battery was completely gone. Ran another race and was fine.

Last edited:
An unremarkable race. No fuel saving needed at all. Just your normal 10-lap sprint. Finished with 0.1 lap worth of fuel left but you shouldn't be worried because I drink fuel and eat tires like no one else.

Say what you want to say about Prius but it can take many corners flat-out with just a little lift beforehand. Bet you can't say the same about race cars. ;)

There were many DR-A folks in my lobby. Strangely they did not seem smart about qualifying. One of them was almost kissing my bumper at start of the flying lap and as a result, they finished pretty low, just like all other DR-A folks. The DR-B folks dominated the qualifying.

Clean lobby except for one dirty DR-A person in the light blue car seen here torpedoing into my NYC yellow cab. Seeing replay told me that he torpedoed every single person ahead of him. Funnily this guy had pace to win the race without breaking a sweat but he finished a lowly 4th with his dirty antics.
1715545319007.png

Another driver did lunge inside of me at the corkscrew but returned me my position, which I appreciate. It is almost impossible to overtake here in Prius even if the guy in front of you is slow and has a penalty. So, gotta make your qualifying count. You should get two flying laps without having to fight to stay ahead.

Last edited:
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca_.jpeg

Went in with two practice laps. Qualified 15th after I pulled out of my first lap after getting caught up behind a Belgian, only for the guy provisionally in 4th to shovel me off the track on the second one. Fortunately in the race I was too slow to get caught up in any drama, I shed the Belgian in the first few laps and let the 6th-11th battle in front of me slow itself up to the point you see in the picture. I ran as high as 7th in the final lap before letting a French guy who I'd had a bit of a (clean) fight with earlier past because it was obvious he was going to do it anyway.

Ended up 49 seconds behind the winner with 1.5 laps worth of fuel left. No idea why everyone was so worried about running out.

Is it possible to run out of battery charge? I ran out of…something…coming out of the corkscrew on the last lap and lost 5 positions. I assumed fuel at the time, but don’t actually remember if it was fuel or if the battery was completely gone. Ran another race and was fine.
it possible to run out of fuel and battery.

I can lower DR lobbies running out of fuel more than higher lobbies due to start and stopping and less momentuem held. I have run out of fuel just before the line today.

I entered as I thought it would be a silly enough race and PD don't give us enough road car races that count. Due to real world being more important I can only enter the last slot now that I'm in GT1. Manage to qualify p3 with door 10 on the car. Get jumped at the start ny a friend in p4, but when I went for the cutback at the hairpin he ran wide and I was able to just keep it floored to stay on the rears of p1 and p2. Got myself to p2 when he had to serve a penalty while I was on his bumper. Then proceeded to run wide on the right hand sweeper before turning up the hill and he got back by.

It also let another guy by to drop me to p4. I was worried as this guy was racing in qualifying and everyone he passed seemed to drop off the timing list, hinting at some sketchy stuff. But after 4 or so laps of hassling his bumper I managed to get the line and gap him. Ran down p2 from 3.9 seconds to 0.8 in the last 3 laps wbut that was as far as I got. Turned out ok for me but there was carnage in the pack.

Also, the car drives weird with the CVT and the hybrid, so people were trying all sorts of tricks to keep the throttle down more than they needed or other weird things causing them to lose hybrid or too much fuel. Just taking it flat or a dab of brakes with a lift and turn in then full throttle worked for most corners. No witchcraft needed. But very clear a lot of people never race anything other than Gr4 to to Gr1.

That was a crazy one.

First GT1 slot in NA. @defender390 and @A_Higher_Place in there with. Only got 1 clean Q lap but messed up T6 and it fouled me up all the way Rahal Straight, P9 for the start.

The race turned into a circus pretty quick. Was actually kind of surprised S-ranked SR drivers would see red so quick and turn the mid-pack into a demolition derby lol. Managed to snag a few spots and was up to 6th or 7th I think until things started going haywire. Wanting to not ruin my SR I ended up getting shuffled all the way back to 14th or 15th after just a couple laps. Gathered my bearings managed to cleave my way back up to 6th (could have snagged 5th as they incurred a penalty but I messed up the last 2 corners) by the finish for 191. One and done 👍

Last edited:
it possible to run out of fuel and battery.

I can lower DR lobbies running out of fuel more than higher lobbies due to start and stopping and less momentuem held. I have run out of fuel just before the line today.
This makes sense as I was squabbling quite a bit in that first race and not as much in the second. I feel there could be something with the moment with it engages the fuel engine on top of the battery, so the throttle technique in the “high speed” corners may make a difference. That said I have no idea what I’m talking about!

In private fuel testing, I could get over 10 laps out of the 7% fuel we were given, while in official testing, I had one lap that was better than the high-2:02's, a 2:00.7. My 8 pm CDT field was full, with 17 points for the win, a couple of drivers with network issues (one consistently with a single red bar and a second dipping down there occassionally), and #5 on my door. As usual, I skipped qualifying, the only driver to do so. I would have started near the back anyway, as pole was 2:00.4, and 12th was a mid-2:02.

It was a very sloppy race. I had a few offs, one of which resulted in a 1.5-second "penalty", and had trouble catching anybody. I was fortunate to get out of there 11th, with 10 points. I also lost a third of my DR bar.

Given door 15 I thought this would a hopeless attempt, but it turned out alright! I qualified 12 and by the end of the first lap I was in 6th. I used FM3 for the first 4 laps and caught the pack in front. Most of the race was spent keeping an A+ driver behind me so I couldn't challenge for 2nd. On the 2 last lap I had dropped 4th as I think they miscalculated their fuel (eventually running out in the last lap) and started to gain on 2nd but it wasn't enough. Given how it started, I'll take it!

Great racing with you @SPL170db and I'm sorry if there were any bumps. The first couple of corners I was treated like a ping-pong ball.

18f6f34e06214-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
Nice win! I'm not seeing much fuel saving here. Did it feel like you were coasting?
No. I made some changes to fuel map during the first lap because I was worried my new racing lines were more fuel consuming than the ones I was using when I did a test race a week ago. When I saw I was going to have around 0,5 laps of extra fuel I just went the fastest I could.

I would have expected a boring race, but instead I must say that, although slow, it was interesting.

Too bad I ended up in lobby full of disrespectful people (along with other more honest drivers).
Overtaking here was not trivial, and the opportunities came mainly on corner exit instead of braking.
But no, there is always someone who comes barreling in in the middle of 4-5 other cars already side-by-side and strikes.
So I gambled away my 2 races.
The first one I started in the middle and ended up second to last.
The second one I started third and ended up in the back of the pack on the last corner of the first lap. I counted around me 3 cars in the sand and didn't see penalties applied to the one that used us to stop. finished then 11th
Anyway it's okay, I'm too used to TTs and not so much to races, where I'm always more pre-occupied with not touching others and this I think penalizes me, in the sense that I have to find the right measure to keep doing it but without losing too much time

That race was both super frustrating and super entertaining. I love the skill required to maintain as much momentum as possible, but I swear those CM tires were acting highly unpredictable at times. I guess they can overheat easily under heavy braking and can't recover for sharp turns?

This was definitely a "rubbing" race and its tough to keep it super clean but in both races the field seemed to drive really well, without any drivers doing douchey things. I accidentally understeered heavily in T1 on one lap and kind of pushed off the outside driver. Felt bad about it but kept going. He then tapped me off another turn (unfortunately into gravel, lost 6 seconds) but I felt like I deserved it so oh well, lol.

Qualified dead last both times (ack!) but climbed up to 9th in my 2nd race. Works for me (sadly I haven't had much time to spend practicing for these).

but I swear those CM tires were acting highly unpredictable at times. I guess they can overheat easily under heavy braking and can't recover for sharp turns?
This is my theory too. I did not see red outlines on my tires but I could tell that I overheated my tires instantly by sharply turning just after heavy braking.

Agree that this was a good example of 'rubbing is racing' without being dirty. Too bad that the clunky GT7 collision physics made it impossible to tell if a rubbing would be dirty or not, so I could not try some rubbing myself which could have gained a position for myself. Wreckfest's collision physics makes for clean 'rubbing is racing' and it was sorely missed here.

-------

After reading other folks' report here, I am happy to know that I am not a heavy fuel drinker at all. I went all out from start to the end (FM1, zero lift and coast, TC0) and fuel was never a problem. I am just a front tires shredder due to my love for understeery setup.

I know a lot of people don't like fuel saving but it feels like a missed opportunity, it could have been fun. The actual race was mostly just a lot of bumping other cars off the track.

If you've started practicing for the next round you have to wait out the rain a bit for the track to get dry if you want to turn any laps on RS tires....at least the weather I was presented with made that the case :)

Definitely looking forward to these latter five rounds. I would've done that Prius one-make that I was excited for, but it turns out I had some yard work to do after going up about 2hrs north to MA to join my grandmother for mother's day. I was just tired enough at the end of the day to put it off, but I do recall that only the best three rounds count, so that'll definitely be nice. I'm looking forward to this next round at Le Mans, too, and looking at the GT2 drivers in my state, I think I actually may have a shot at being among the best of the state's GT2 drivers.

Latest Posts

Back