Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Announced for 2024 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 405 comments
I feel like I'm talking to myself here, but here goes...

I've been doing some practice custom races for this next round. My pace seems to be improving. I've posted a 1:20.2 in Free Practice, with best laps in custom races at 1:20.7, but most laps once I get out of traffic are in the low 1:21s or high 1:20s.

I'm finding the AI in custom races increasingly frustrating as I'm getting faster, but that's to be expected, I suppose. I usually start in P10 and pit once I've taken the lead. That's usually on lap 3. I usually takes another 3 laps to get by them all again. When I'm feeling especially masochistic, I pit every 3 laps so that I can spend pretty much the entire race practicing alternate lines and managing space to the cars ahead. It's a shame there is no good way to practice defending, with the AI cars being so slow.

I check for lobby races from time-to-time, but haven't found anybody else practicing for this race yet. I expect there won't be many until the weekend.

I've managed to incrementally improve my pace over the week with some practice. I'm now hitting mid to high 1:20s on most laps with the occasional 1:20.3 or 1:20.2. I feel like that should be more than adequate for low-A American lobbies. If I can drive my race tomorrow, I feel like a top 5 finish is within reach.

That's a big 'if', though. I've done a few lobby races now and it seems like the deciding factor is going to be whether I can avoid getting pushed into the wall at the bottom of the downhill section for damage. Lap 1 can be especially chaotic, but even on later laps I've picked up damage with bumps from behind.

Strategy-wise, I feel like my best option is to delay pitting as long as possible. Only pit if I have damage or if I'm really struggling to get by a slower driver.

Best of luck if you are racing!

I did 2 hours practice this morning and with a ghost I can hit high 1:19s but without the ghost high 1:20s seems to be my natural place.

I am GT2 as I'd drop down from A when it started so hoping I might have a decent shot a result.

zjn
I'm really tentative under braking, it looks as if you are not 100% straight even half brake can snap the car.

24.1 in traffic

I guess tomorrow will be a long painful race
Use ASM if you are really struggling with that braking it will help you smooth out the braking.

It drives like it's less about how hard you are braking more how smooth you are applying it.

But try a few laps with ASM on and see the difference.

Had to double-check I was still in GT3 after loading in and seeing the lobby. As a low B driver I’m guessing this is very low participation for me to match against an A+ and 7 As.

Reasonable quali, P13 with a high 22. Took it easy on lap 1, pitted at the end from P15. A few laps on my own before traffic reappeared. Lap times in the 22/23 range. Was trying for a clean race, managed to avoid contact and crashes until some A-rated twit from Portugal appears and started squeezing everyone into walls and yet only getting track limit penalties. Luckily karma got him a last lap penalty before I resorted to a revenge ram. I got on his bumper to jump him in the final standings.

P12 in the end, not bad in that company. 79 points is 20 more than my entire counting score so far!

Attachments

• IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This is a fun short chaotic little race.

For qualy id definitely hang back as the amount of chaos and penalties on the outlap was very distracting.

Wheel d/c on my fast lap so started P11 finished P8 on my Alt acc. Realistically a top 3 was on but not to be.

Will do a couple more and then one on the main account.

The screenshots from everyone are gonna be hilarious for this one I think!

Could not decide what to do with my free time so I flipped a coin. Get to the TTs or do the TGR Cup. No TTs today 😅 Did not practice at all, exept for maybe 20minutes before the race, but watched @Metalgear9493 s replay like I usually do for the Time Trials and again it was a big help.

EMEA, GT2, Mid B, Door #15, 109pts for the win

After reading @newmedia_dev s note about the chaos in quali I waited a bit and drove out second to last. Right choice. Had clean air and qualified on P1. Don't know how I did that.

Qualifying.jpg

Expected a hit in turn 1 like the pessimist that I am but everything was clean and smooth. P2 and P3 fought a bit and the player in P2 pitted after lap 1. Opened a gap to p2 which grew to about 8s when I pitted at the end of lap 9 and bit my fingernails because I had no idea how the player who pitted in lap 1 did.

Came out of the box with a 2s gap and brought it home with a extremly pounding heart.

109 points for me. First time that I scored over 100 points in a race and really happy right now.

win.jpg

Race results.jpg

Last edited:
Had to double-check I was still in GT3 after loading in and seeing the lobby. As a low B driver I’m guessing this is very low participation for me to match against an A+ and 7 As.
The series has been going on for quite a while now. There's been plenty of time for those drivers to rebuild their DR after dropping them to C so they could sign up in GT3.

I've said it before, but I don't understand what motivates players to do this. I get why they might drop to GT2 -- better schedules, light damage -- but why all the way down to GT3? Is it for the credits?

That didn't go too well, was hoping for at least 10th place. GT3, qualified last, 16th place, didn't know we had to pit, saw other pit, so I did it as well, no tire change, no fuel, glad I did, because instead of 15th place I got 13th at the finish, because some didn't pit and got the penalty, 19 points, but so far I have 21, 25 and 19 points = 65 points, maybe not so bad after all. :)

Last edited:
Went on my main account which should be the stronger of the two yet my alt had 132pt lobbies my main 92 for the win.

I can see how the points were so low as the standards were horrific.

Going again but this time am going to make sure I QT better and stop catching people in QT.

Have improved fractionally in free practice to a 1:19.4 but there was 2/10s on the table.

Using Hollos ghost but I take the extra down change in the hair pin as I can't control the body roll as well as he can.

Right went for a second go on the main account.

GT2 higher split (146pts) mixed A/B lobby.

QT 3rd with a low 1:20 was .15 off pole.

P2 ran wide at turn 6 I think so went on by. Followed P1 in to the pits on lap one. Followed him the whole race trying not to put loads of pressure or look menacing so we could escape the pack and not fight.

(P1 is the guy who I'm fighting for my local area the main one with 🤣)

We got past all the later pit stop peeps. He had a moment in the last bus stop and I almost had him.

Finished P2 .5 behind. Not going on my main account again and happy with the 140pts although in a friendly way still behind the person I don't know local rival 🤣

IMG_0986.jpeg

IMG_0985.jpeg

General tips for this race:

1: if you survive the first few corners with no damage (GT1) and the pack is close pit as early as possible!

2: be positive in the first lap if you are mid pack. The carnage happens with people being too polite and the people behind smelling blood. Take a short pen if it stops you getting run wide.

3: not a lot of people have practiced this race thinking it's just a hot hatch race...it isn't and the rally slides are time killing. Brake early if it's safe and try not to drift too much.

4: use the throttle to control the car and not opposite lock, this is a biggie. If the car is starting to rotate or spin give it some throttle and it will pull itself round.

5: do warm up laps before the race, it helps you and everyone else around you if you are on a steady consistent pace regardless of the time.

Otherwise this is a fun race in the right lobbies, frustrating (1 out of 4 goes) but enjoy it. This is actually the type of race I think daily A should be with DR/SR on it very much reminds me of the launch Daily As

GT1 Grand Valley South - 3pm

Hung back for a minute to get a nice clear track, first lap put me 4th, the second was only a fraction quicker, but that was enough to jump me up to P3 on the grid.

I didn't expect to be fighting for the win, the poleman had set a time faster than my best ever. The start went well, slotted into 2nd exiting turn 1. I was briefly challenging the leader when he was a bit scruffy on lap 1, but he soon settled down and started to pull away.

Grand Valley - South_.jpeg

I was more concerned with what's in mirrors now, two cars close behind, the rest seem to be dropping away. One of my challengers pits early, the other started to slip back taking the pressure off. From here the laps just ticked away until time for a last lap pit stop.

To my delight, the leader didn't pit, am I on for the win? Lets see when I exit the pits.

Grand Valley - South__1.jpeg

I come out thinking I was clear at first, but then second arrives fast and is on my tail exiting turn 1. Just need to keep it clean and smooth and I should hang for the win. Then just as I passed the penalty zone up pops a 0.5s penalty!

I'm gutted, too late to take it during the race, so it's going to be a 1s penalty at the end, and 2nd is right on my tail. Nothing I can do but bring home and take 2nd place, but sill it's by far my biggest haul of the season.

Grand Valley - South__3.jpeg

Hold on, Ref! I want a video replay, I wasn't over the line!

Grand Valley - South__2.jpeg

I went again on my alt account. Edit: (Cool is my alt account)

Awful QT got a pen on the second lap dooming my hot lap.

QT 11th by some miracle. Pitted with the guy I ended up racing to the end...

And this is where it landed. I'll be honest I was massively shocked having been P15 at one point on the opening lap.

IMG_0988.jpeg

Yes that is P11 to P15 to 3rd....

I can't work it out either but that is my lot

Last edited:
Looking forward to today's race! I wonder when will be a good time to pit? I'd imagine that it may be ideal to do so towards the end of the race when we'd have less fuel, but that's assuming that a tire change would even be appropriate. If, ultimately, only a pass-through is necessary, then I suppose pitting would work at virtually any point of the race - a prospect I personally find exciting.

Looking forward to today's race! I wonder when will be a good time to pit? I'd imagine that it may be ideal to do so towards the end of the race when we'd have less fuel, but that's assuming that a tire change would even be appropriate. If, ultimately, only a pass-through is necessary, then I suppose pitting would work at virtually any point of the race - a prospect I personally find exciting.
Pit on the first lap.

Two reasons:

If there is carnage the pack is bunched so you'll get clean air.

The second reason is the penalties and fighting slow them all down significantly.

The undercut is the way.

Unless you are leading by 35s+ you'll get passed on the final laps. And that is off you don't make a mistake or a mistake happens to you.

EDIT:!!!!! Do not change tires or put fuel in!

Last edited:
Uneventful, but still fun in these cars.

Q2 to P2 in slot 1 GT2 in Americas. Other than going slightly deep into T1 on lap one and briefly losing a position, it was just a matter of keeping it on the road and hope the leader made a mistake which they never did. They had out qualified the field by over 3/4 sec, so there wasn't much hope of catching them. But managed to finish only 1.2 sec behind in the end.

Fun cars to drive, but the race could have been longer with a bit of strategy thrown in.

127 points matched my season best.

1914243efa774-screenshotUrl.jpg

Haven't done an online race in what feels like a couple of months.....this was a nice way to return to competition :)

First NA GT1 slot Q'd in P2 and got a clean start and slotted into 2nd after the first corner and 1st (@Pfei ) and I seemed to slowly be pulling away from the field. My plan was going to be to stick with him and pit whenever he did (I was happy enough with 2nd if I'm honest). Unfortunately I managed to pick up a 1/2-sec penalty on the 2nd lap, so with that I decided to box it at the end of the 2nd lap just as I came up alongside and had the chance to take the lead going down the front straight (very Dom and Brian parting ways F&F style in that pic below :lol:). That move is actually what I think ended up being a major contributor to this race's outcome.

Exited the pits in 8th place with 26 seconds of empty track in front of me and no one really pressing me from behind so I just cut clean laps and undercut folks as they were coming out of the pits. I saw that I was close to the fastest lap set by Pfei and then at about 2/3's into the race I set the fastest lap and then proceeded to cut into it a few more times which let me know I was cumulatively gaining on the lead. It looked like the front bunch all pitted at the end of the 14th lap as I was approaching the tunnel and by the time I passed pit exit I had about a 2.5 second lead going into T1. Finished the last lap clean and took my first W in a minute; a nice way to return for sure.

IMG_3194.jpg
IMG_3195.jpg
IMG_3196.jpg
IMG_3197.jpg
IMG_3198.jpg

Haven't done an online race in what feels like a couple of months.....this was a nice way to return to competition :)

First NA GT1 slot Q'd in P2 and got a clean start and slotted into 2nd after the first corner and 1st (@Pfei ) and I seemed to slowly be pulling away from the field. My plan was going to be to stick with him and pit whenever he did (I was happy enough with 2nd if I'm honest). Unfortunately I managed to pick up a 1/2-sec penalty on the 2nd lap, so with that I decided to box it at the end of the 2nd lap just as I came up alongside and had the chance to take the lead going down the front straight (very Dom and Brian parting ways F&F style in that pic below :lol:). That move is actually what I think ended up being a major contributor to this race's outcome.

Exited the pits in 8th place with 26 seconds of empty track in front of me and no one really pressing me from behind so I just cut clean laps and undercut folks as they were coming out of the pits. I saw that I was close to the fastest lap set by Pfei and then at about 2/3's into the race I set the fastest lap and then proceeded to cut into it a few more times which let me know I was cumulatively gaining on the lead. It looked like the front bunch all pitted at the end of the 14th lap as I was approaching the tunnel and by the time I passed pit exit I had about a 2.5 second lead going into T1. Finished the last lap clean and took my first W in a minute; a nice way to return for sure.

View attachment 1380229View attachment 1380230View attachment 1380231View attachment 1380232View attachment 1380233
I have no idea how I bagged pole there. Everyone must have really messed up their laps. I haven't played in four months until last weekend's final Manu race, qualifying and finishing near last in both attempts LOL. Therefore, I had no hope for tonight, either.

I knew that despite the pole there was no way I would win on pace alone. I was very nervous with you being right behind me. I was actually more worried about the best way to let you by than winning and I was concerned about backing up the pack and causing mayhem. Pitting early was out of the question given I was leading.

I was a bit perplexed when you entered the pits just when you had an overtake in the cards, but I quickly realized that was the best decision you could have made. I committed to going to the end, hoping to back people up for you, but to my surprise I actually kept them out of striking distance.

Later in the race I realized my fastest lap had been wiped out because I was setting purple in sectors 1 and 2 but ending up a whopping 0.5s down across the line!

Good race. You were flawless. I am very happy for a podium after only 30' practice and following my humiliations at the Nurb GP in the WRX Gr.3.

I love your pic of me giving you a VERY wide berth as you dove into the pits.

Congrats on the win!

I ran the first GT1 slot (7PM EDT) in North America. I was in door #6 in a low-A lobby. There were 175 points up for grabs. I needed a P10 or better to improve my score.

Qualifying was looking a sketchy at first. I left the pits too early and got tangled up with some other drivers on the first flying lap. Luckily, the second lap was clear and I was able to set a surprisingly good 1:20.069, which landed me pole.

tgr-rd6-turn1.jpg

The race got off to good start. The P2 driver jumped the gun and got stalled for it. That gave me a bit of room going into turn 1 and the downhill section.

tgr-rd6-downhill.jpg

From there, I just focused on extending the lead. By the end of lap 1, it was 1.7s.

I had thought going in I might try pitting on lap 1 as @newmedia_dev had suggested, but given the circumstances, I figured it would be wiser to stick with the clean air I already had as long as I had it. It turned out to last until lap 14, when I pitted with a 11s lead over the next car.

I came out of the pits in P2, 7 seconds behind a driver who hadn't pitted.

When everything got sorted at the finish line, I could celebrate the win.
tgr-rd6-victory.jpg

It ended up being a pretty dull race, but I'll take a dull win any day. That's 175 point for the round, which will be a big boost to my total. I saw a nice little bump to my DR, too.

Uuuuuugh. This was one of my best combos in a while, top of my friends list. Race 1 was good, got P3 after the leader neglected to stop. Slot 2 I was in... maybe 2nd split? Top split with no one actually playing? It had an S/S driver in it, and someone else who I know has been to live events. But I just... felt the pressure, kept making little mistakes, and got 9th when I could have got 5th. Then before slot 3 I took a little nap, decided I wanted to watch replays to figure out shifting points or whatever, and... got back to the entry screen with 5 seconds left, hit X, got an error. Thanks a lot, PD.

So any thoughts as to car choice for the final round at Fuji? Ordinarily I’d use the Lexus but it’s useless in the wet and it’ll likely rain.
To answer my own question, the Lexus for me was nearly a second quicker than the other cars in dry practice. The issue with it would be the tyre wear.
Subaru felt the most planted, especially in sector 3, but it's a snail on the straight. Pray for rain if you pick that one.

So any thoughts as to car choice for the final round at Fuji? Ordinarily I’d use the Lexus but it’s useless in the wet and it’ll likely rain.
I'm going for the Honda, usally used the Nissan, but lately I have been quite fond of MR cars, jumped over to Lamborghini for Manufacturer Afflication Contract, no regrets there. I just tried both 2 laps and I was 2 sec faster with the Honda over the Nissan, so it seems the Honda is a better choice for me at least.

Last edited:
Back