Grand Prix 4 – 2001 with Blake at Sauber *Malaysian Update*

• Thread starter Blake
  • 7 comments

Blake

Premium
Australia
NSW, Australia
haswell00
Okay, I’m playing on Ace, and it’s the normal 2001 line-up, except Kimi Räikkönen was not granted his Super License, thus I took his place at Sauber Petronas. So it looks a little like this:

Ferrari
  1. Michael Schumacher
  2. Rubens Barrichello

McLaren
  1. Mika Häkkinen
  2. David Coulthard

Williams
  1. Ralf Schumacher
  2. Juan Pablo Montoya

BAR
  1. Olivier Panis
  2. Jacques Villeneuve

Benetton
  1. Giancarlo Fisichella
  2. Jenson Button

Jordan
  1. Jean Alesi
  2. Jarno Trulli

Arrows
  1. Jos Verstappen
  2. Enrique Bernoldi

Sauber
  1. Nick Heidfeld
  2. Blake Haswell

Jaguar
  1. Eddie Irvine
  2. Pedro de la Rossa

Minardi
  1. Fernando Alonso
  2. Alex Yoong

Prost
  1. Heinz-Harald Frentzen
  2. Tomas Enge

Australian Grand Prix

Qualifying

Shortly after the green light for qualifying went on, I launched out of the Sauber garage for my very first qualifying session in F1.

Traffic was pretty bad on my outlap, as everyone was going out to bank a time. As a rookie, I tried to do the right thing by letting all of the faster cars by, but mainly it was because I wanted clear air on my qualifying run.

I crossed the Start/Finish line to start a clean, and fast, lap that, at the time, had put me into an impressive 2nd position. The time was 1:26.113. However, there was an incident up ahead, with a Williams, McLaren, and a Minardi almost getting together into turn 1. I had to apply some serious brake pressure to stop myself from running into the back of Häkkinen.

In my following attempts at pole I couldn’t improve, until my last lap, where I was set for pole position until I got a tyre on the grass towards the end. It cost me about half a second, but I still bettered my time to 1:26 flat, moving me to 7th place.

David Coulthard starts on pole, and my team-mate, Nick, will start in P12, with a time half a second behind mine.

It was an okay qualifying session, but the fact that I mised out on a potential first, or second, row start kinda bugs me. Well, it should be an interesting race. Here’s to finishing. :cheers:

Australian Grand Prix

In qualifying I had soft boots on, so I wasn’t sure whether to go with a 2, or 3 stop strategy. In the end I chose a 3 stop strategy, hoping that I could squeeze every second out of my tyres for the entire stint, and have short stops.

The Race

After an agonisingly long wait on the grid, the red lights went out and we were go for the 2001 season. With my light car, I was a bullet off the line, and made an aggressive move under braking, between David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello, to leap to 2nd place by the end of the first corner.

For the next 3 laps I held a steady gap of 0.5 to 1.5 seconds to Michael Schumacher, before I got a good run on Michael down the back straight, and moved into first position.

Jean Alesi had a problem on lap 7, and his Jordan was not to see the checkered flag.

By lap 15, the gap was 5 seconds, as I came in for my first pit-stop. I fell back to tenth.

A suspension failure caused Jarno Trulli to retire from P7 – the second Jordan retirement today. An unlucky day for EJ and his boys.

By lap 24, I had managed to make my was up to 5th position, aided by the stops of Ralf Schumacher, and Mika Häkkinen, who were on two-stop strategies.

On lap 30, still in 5th, I made my second pit-stop—which, again, caused me to fall back to 10th.

The next couple of laps were frantic, as I pushed like hell to take advantage while the majority of the field were in pit-lane.

As the field settled back into order, I ended up in 4th position – about 10 seconds behind Ralf Schumacher. I was faster, but I pushed a little too hard, and ended up going wide a few times, losing precious tenths. Thus, the gap stayed steady at 10 seconds.

On lap 39, Jenson Button ended his dismal start to the season, retiring from 16th position with an engine failure.

I made my final stop on lap 45, and came out 10 seconds behind my team-mate, Nick Heidfeld. I was dissapointed to see P7 on my steering wheel, but I thought I was in with a chance of catching Nick, who was suprisingly lapping quite quickly.

Unfortunatly, a few small errors stopped me from getting the advantage I needed, and as the final lap started I was still 4 seconds behind.

Ralf Schumacher retired on the final lap, a huge dissapontment for the German, as he was on for a 3rd place finish. Luckily for me, it promoted me to 6th place, allowing me to get points on my Formula One debut.

Michael Schumacher crossed the line in first position, after a dominant performance—leading almost every lap. Coulthard came in a close second, with Juan Pablo Montoya rounding out the podium, but a further 40 seconds behind.

Code:
                                   Race Results                                 

Australia - Albert Park                           
                                     (58 Laps)                                  

Pos   Driver                       Time/Speed                   

1st   michael schumacher       1h 25m 29.086s                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
                2nd   david coulthard                 +6.179s                   
                      mclaren-mercedes                                          
                3rd   juan pablo montoya             +44.838s                   
                      williams-bmw                                              
                4th   rubens barrichello             +49.158s                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
                5th   nick heidfeld               +1m 07.204s                   
                      sauber-petronas                                           
                6th   blake haswell               +1m 10.200s                   
                      sauber-petronas                                           
                7th   olivier panis               +1m 26.829s                   
                      bar-honda                                                 
                8th   mika häkkinen               +1m 27.619s                   
                      mclaren-mercedes                                          
                9th   ralf schumacher                  -1 Lap                   
                      williams-bmw                                              
               10th   jacques villeneuve               -1 Lap                   
                      bar-honda                                                 
               11th   pedro de la rosa                 -1 Lap                   
                      jaguar-cosworth                                           
               12th   eddie irvine                     -1 Lap                   
                      jaguar-cosworth                                           
               13th   heinz-harald frentzen            -1 Lap                   
                      prost-acer                                                
               14th   jos verstappen                   -1 Lap                   
                      arrows-asiatech                                           
               15th   enrique bernoldi                -2 Laps                   
                      arrows-asiatech                                           
               16th   giancarlo fisichella            -2 Laps                   
                      benetton-renault                                          
               17th   alex yoong                      -2 Laps                   
                      minardi-european                                          
               18th   tomas enge                      -2 Laps                   
                      prost-acer                                                
               19th   fernando alonso                 -3 Laps                   
                      minardi-european                                          
               20th   jenson button                    Engine                   
                      benetton-renault                                          
               21st   jarno trulli                 Suspension                   
                      jordan-honda                                              
               22nd   jean alesi                Didn't Finish                   
                      jordan-honda

It felt good to score in my debut race, and my pace was very good, as I secured the fastest lap of the race – by a tenth of a second.

But, in the end, a few little mistakes cost me the precious 2.4 seconds that I needed to beat my team-mate. Alas, it was a good day for Peter, as two of his cars finished in the points, and getting a good start to the 2001 season.

Code:
                             Drivers Championship                               

Pos   Driver                           Points                   

1st   michael schumacher                   10                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
                2nd   david coulthard                       6                   
                      mclaren-mercedes                                          
                3rd   juan pablo montoya                    4                   
                      williams-bmw                                              
                4th   rubens barrichello                    3                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
                5th   nick heidfeld                         2                   
                      sauber-petronas                                           
                6th   blake haswell                         1                   
                      sauber-petronas
Code:
                          Constructors Championship                             

Pos   Team                             Points                   

1st   ferrari                              13                   
                      ferrari                                                   
                2nd   mclaren                               6                   
                      mercedes                                                  
                3rd   williams                              4                   
                      bmw                                                       
                4th   sauber                                3                   
                      petronas

Attachments

• 00007.jpg
    00007.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 00008.jpg
    00008.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 21
  • 00009.jpg
    00009.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 25
Exellent write up Blake! 7th on the grid to finish 6th! all in a days work:D Look forward to Sepang.

Great write up Blake. Great job on the race too. I too am looking forward to your next race. Its like reality TV, except not so lame.

Malaysian Grand Prix

Qualifying

Qualifying was a dissapointing affair, as I ruined all of my good laps, and ended in a lowly 19th position. I could tell it was going to be a very painful race, to say the least. David Coulthard set a blistering time, to take his 2nd pole position of the season.

The Race

I got a decent start, moving up to 9th after two laps. But, I wasn’t fast, and I had a large que forming up behind me. On lap 5, I had a spin, and fell back to 18th.

Frustrated, and trying to make up time, I pushed too hard, and on lap 6 I put one of my rear wheels on the grass. After that, it was in gods hands, and I was out of the race.

Up the front, David was still leading from pole position, with Ralf following close behind.

On lap 15, however, Ralf retired with suspension failure, seemingly handing the race to Coulthard, who pitted the next lap. As everybody began to pit in the following laps, the quiet man of the day – Michael Schumacher – came through the field, to take first position on a very unusual strategy, where he did not pit at all.

Coulthard, meanwhile, was in a scrap for fourth position with Rubens Barrichello—the race looked out of reach for the Scot, now.

Rubens finally had to submit to the fast McLaren on lap 34, as Coulthard moved up to 4th, ready to challenge Montoya for the podium.

The next lap, as Mika Häkkinen retired from P2, David got past Montoya in a fantastic move, to grab P2 behind Michael Schumacher.

In the biggest twist of fate, Michael Schumacher ran out of fuel on the last lap, handing David the win, and leaving the Ferrari camp in tears.

Code:
                                   Race Results                                 

Malaysia - Sepang                              
                                     (55 Laps)                                  

Pos   Driver                       Time/Speed                   

1st   david coulthard          1h 29m 04.776s                   
                      mclaren-mercedes                                          
                2nd   jean alesi                     +23.278s                   
                      jordan-honda                                              
                3rd   jarno trulli                   +39.136s                   
                      jordan-honda                                              
                4th   eddie irvine                +1m 30.602s                   
                      jaguar-cosworth                                           
                5th   michael schumacher               -1 Lap                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
                6th   juan pablo montoya               -1 Lap                   
                      williams-bmw                                              
                7th   rubens barrichello               -1 Lap                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
                8th   nick heidfeld                    -1 Lap                   
                      sauber-petronas                                           
                9th   olivier panis                    -1 Lap                   
                      bar-honda                                                 
               10th   pedro de la rosa                 -1 Lap                   
                      jaguar-cosworth                                           
               11th   heinz-harald frentzen            -1 Lap                   
                      prost-acer                                                
               12th   jenson button                    -1 Lap                   
                      benetton-renault                                          
               13th   jos verstappen                   -1 Lap                   
                      arrows-asiatech                                           
               14th   enrique bernoldi                -2 Laps                   
                      arrows-asiatech                                           
               15th   tomas enge                      -2 Laps                   
                      prost-acer                                                
               16th   jacques villeneuve              -5 Laps                   
                      bar-honda                                                 
               17th   mika häkkinen             Didn't Finish                   
                      mclaren-mercedes                                          
               18th   giancarlo fisichella       Transmission                   
                      benetton-renault                                          
               19th   ralf schumacher              Suspension                   
                      williams-bmw                                              
               20th   alex yoong                       Engine                   
                      minardi-european                                          
               21st   fernando alonso              Suspension                   
                      minardi-european                                          
               22nd   blake haswell             Didn't Finish                   
                      sauber-petronas
Code:
                             Drivers Championship                               

Pos   Driver                           Points                   

1st   david coulthard                      16                   
                      mclaren-mercedes                                          
                2nd   michael schumacher                   12                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
                3rd   jean alesi                            6                  
                      jordan-honda
                4th   juan pablo montoya                    5                   
                      williams-bmw                                              
                5th   jarno trulli                          4                  
                      jordan-honda                                             
               =6th   rubens barrichello                    3                   
                      ferrari-ferrari                                           
               =6th   eddie irvine                          3                  
                      jaguar-cosworth                                          
                7th   nick heidfeld                         2                   
                      sauber-petronas                                           
                8th   blake haswell                         1                   
                      sauber-petronas
Code:
                          Constructors Championship                             

Pos   Team                             Points                   

1st   mclaren                              16                   
                      mercedes                                                  
                2nd   ferrari                              15                   
                      ferrari                                                   
                3rd   jordan                               10                  
                      honda                                                    
                4th   williams                              5                   
                      bmw                                                       
               =5th   jaguar                                3                  
                      cosworth
               =5th   sauber                                3                   
                      petronas

Haha! I will keep going in a few weeks. At the moment I have a lot of assignments to do, and then I have the BC6 to do. But trust me, I want to keep on going with this thing.

Thanks for the interest. 👍

Back