Great, a concentration camp for teenagers...

• Thread starter Rico_S
  • 65 comments
Yes, I'm a parent, but read between the lines for a moment before reacting. The articles in the original post read just a tad one-sided and sensationalist, as I expected with anything designed to grab attention.

Personally, I'm glad some of them aren't running amok and breaking the law on my land ON MY DIME; they're probably going to be complete screw-ups and later wandering in and out of detention centers or prisons when they become adults because their proud sperm-and-egg donors didn't employ the right to use birth control. While these parents ought to be ashamed, they are essentially getting a tiny bit of what they unconsciously desire when they deport their kid to places like these...

...which aren't in America. Truth be told, we have last-chance boot camps that have hurt, injured, and even killed teenagers for whom have committed many crimes, and will likely set them straight before going to jail. The problem is that while some wise up, many just continue rebel against the sternest of authority, which doesn't help their cause. Whether the problems are a lack of oversight, education, proper mental help, and/or societal pressures (or a combination of any of these) that need to be overcome is totally beyond my expertise.

Last edited:
The simple truth of the matter is this: If your parents send you off into someone else's custody, then they have just failed completely as a parent, and as a human:crazy: 👎

I can't get my kids to concentrate.

A Yellow Pages to the head usually gets them to. :sly:

I am not condoning this as a method of disciplining kids, but goddamn, some days you wish you could just to smack some sense into them!!

A Yellow Pages to the head usually gets them to. :sly:

I am not condoning this as a method of disciplining kids, but goddamn, some days you wish you could just to smack some sense into them!!

That's why Indian parents don't follow social norms, and put their kids in line from time to time. Well in my family they do.

My friend, of Italian descent, was appalled when my aunt lightly hit the backside of my cousin after he broke something she specifically told him not to touch. I told him that's nothing, and my cousin understood his punishment.

There's hitting a child, then there's abuse.

There is nothing wrong with putting a child in his place with a gentle, yet firm slap on the ass. Helped me stay in line. And it will help my kid (if it ever happens :sly:) stay in line.

Because, more often than not, students come back from public schools.

The point machate-man is trying to raise is against parents who send their kids to "tough love" camps for the sake of trying to straighten them out. Evidently, these children do not respond to discipline, which is usually a failure of the parents either through under-discipline (so the kids think they can do whatever the hell they want) or over-discipline (so the kids rebel).

How's that any different than sending your kid to a public school?

I meant that the parents have given up, and that they want (rather disgustingly) 'the easy way out', which is sending their child out:yuck:

Because, more often than not, students come back from public schools.

The point machate-man is trying to raise is against parents who send their kids to "tough love" camps for the sake of trying to straighten them out. Evidently, these children do not respond to discipline, which is usually a failure of the parents either through under-discipline (so the kids think they can do whatever the hell they want) or over-discipline (so the kids rebel).

Another diference is that public schools (sometimes) are more flexible discipline-wise. They let students be the way they are, so long as they conform to some basics.

Tolerance is what equalizes problems. Learn to live through some things and everything calms down:tup:

*There are some schools which are an exception to the above:
Schools with high expectations usually crack down on unruly behavior, but in a legal, non-corporal way (detention, apology letters, school service, parent meetings,ect.)

Another diference is that public schools (sometimes) are more flexible discipline-wise. They let students be the way they are, so long as they conform to some basics.
I don't know how public schools work in America, but here in Australia, they can be quite lax.

I would be killed the second I got there. I am a complete rebel against superiors I don't trust. Although my last words would be quite interesting.

Though I never have stepped out of line. My parents have never had to spank me, or anything. But to those people? I'd go out of my way to piss them off!

These camps are just awful. Who cares what country it's in, these people are evil. A bad child just needs to be warned what his future would be(I.e prison) if he continued the way he is, not be sent to somewhere where there is a high possibility that he would die. Honestley, what :censored:ing idiot thinks that choking a child to death will teach them a lesson. These people are terrible people and should be sent to prison for life.

Considering my age, I find something like this very sickening, the people who work, and run these things, are just a waste of humanity. R.I.P to all the poor, unfortunate people killed, you didn't deserve to die..

Guys, I know this stuff is old, but it really kinda shows that these camps do exist, and are somehow perfectly legal.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/q6is0/in_september_2009_after_admitting_to_my_parents/

Now, shouldn't there be some sort of a revolt against these? This is something even worse than what's going on in the Middle East, it's plain torture, brainwashing, almost anything you would believe. Sometimes I find myself advocating violence against the folk who run those places, but since arson attacks and whatnot would more than likely hurt the innocents inside, the methods would need to be more subtle.

Just venting. Sorry for the sensitive folk about the nature of my post, I'm kinda blinded by the pure form of hatred now.

Freakin' seriously?

Why do I get the feeling that these are only "legal" because they don't get caught? @Carbonox Wrong way to deal with your kid admitting he's an aetheist, exhibit A.

Now I have a strong urge to find and liberate one of these.

Wow, I wish I hadn't seen that, because now I'm imaging myself there (No, not because my parents are insane in the wrong ways.) and I am seriously 🤬 angry.

If something like that ever happened to me, I'd likely go on a rampage and probably kill everyone holding me hostage just to get out alive, if that was the only way.

I can't believe what I am reading...insane.

I'd likely go on a rampage and probably kill everyone holding me hostage just to get out alive
Replacing this " concentration camp" for life in prison. Fantastic plan.

Personally, I'd play the model citizen card. Look! I'm doing exactly what you want so I can go home!

If something like that ever happened to me, I'd likely go on a rampage and probably kill everyone holding me hostage just to get out alive, if that was the only way.

I can't believe what I am reading...insane.
TB

Personally, I'd play the model citizen card. Look! I'm doing exactly what you want so I can go home!

@Slashfan - Regardless of societal consequences, I'm sure that there are many people who'd like to do the same after only being witness to such abuse.

@TB - I'd be pleased to see something akin to The Shawshank Redemption, occur in these places.

I'm really taken aback by the behaviour modification model in these places; it's trading social dysfunction for psychopathy and PTSD.

I'm also very unclear as to how an abusive stint under authoritarianism, whereby you are to come out appreciative of what was done to you (to help you), is supposed to encourage and foster the ideals of freedom, liberty, and democracy; let alone those of compassion, empathy, and tolerance of dissent.

TB

I wouldn't say life in prison. If they knew the circumstances and that was your last hope you should be ok.

I think someone should point out the initial post is from 2011, the camp it is speaking of shut down in 2009, and mass murder isn't a viable solution.

Just sayin'

I can't believe so many of you are willing to go down without a fight...

This is absolutely disgusting. I know people will disagree with me when I say this. But the people who wanted to do this to people, should be put through the exact same treatment that they gave.
HOW MUCH OF A 🤬 IDIOT DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO WILLINGLY DO THAT TO A LIVING THING???

I think someone should point out the initial post is from 2011, the camp it is speaking of shut down in 2009, and mass murder isn't a viable solution.

Just sayin'

I'm sure that quite a few of us read the first post and I even took the traditional research route before my own post. However, does any of that really matter? We speak of past crimes not only to prevent their reoccurence, but (also) in order to have a developed perspective on these crimes should they again rear their horrific heads.

For instance, the director of Tranquility Bay was also the president of the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools (WWASP), of which Traquility Bay was a affiliate.

WWASP ran over 2-dozen schools, most having been closed; a few remain open, though many closed due to abuse or "torture." What is really to keep them from reopening schools under another umbrella organization? Why give up the source of revenue? YouTube is filled with videos and comments on and by people who survived WWASP programs.

YouTube search: "WWASP" on YouTube.

I can't believe so many of you are willing to go down without a fight...

Hey, give me some credit; my Shawshank Redemption idea did have the word "shank" in it. :lol:

Some of the camps have indeed been shut down, but some are still standing, such as this one right here.

The around-the-clock pattern of admissions (there's no set start of the curriculum) does seem a bit...suspect for a school that will accept a student in as little as 24 hours. In some cases, they do have to wait until the check clears.

I suppose this is the type of place that a repeat juvenile offender (or serious crimes, not petty stuff) belongs, one that commits felonious crimes that affect society; not a kid who turned to atheism, stole a pack of gum a few times, or experienced some other personal lifestyle change that pisses off dear old dad. And it should be noted that a judge, not a parent who isn't at the helm of responsible decision-making without a checkbook, should be making this decision, because by then it's quite serious, and highly probable that the crime the offender commits is going to land them in a system that they'd probably never truly escape from.

Why? It's because jail isn't going to be any sweeter to them before adulthood (and they can rarely place a juvenile wrongdoer in a real prison until they're an adult). And unless it's a white-collar crime camp for wealthy offenders, prison isn't going to be much fun, either. Even the lowest-security jails for non-violent offenders, guarded by video cameras and a couple of fences, instead of riflemen upon watchtowers, is still a sucktacular place to be stuck for a while. Everything is held to a rigid standard and there's little to no deviation for anything, except perhaps your diet, and fun is restricted to how much you can distract yourself from how bored and miserable your options have become.

I think you're hearing only one side of the story with some of these kids. They aren't going to admit to more serious crimes. After all, it's YouTube, your name is attached to that video; nobody's going to drag their own reputation through the mud, even if they brought clumsily brought along their own dirt and water.

I'm not a huge fan of authority; I mock it and question it when I get a chance, but that's only after I've realized how much you disappointingly need it to glue this world together. Even if it appears to be loosely held together with rubber bands and Post-it notes, with a few bent, rusty nails to show they mean business every so often. These are places for those fleshbags that constantly flaunt how much of a screw-up they are, either. It's those rare ones who are a constantly reminding us that they're a few brain cells short of a pickle barrel and still hump your leg futilely, which need a good ditching into these kinds of places until the eye dropper's empty and the ultraviolent movies have ceased.

These juvenile halls shouldn't have to kill the kids or beat them to a pulp except in genuine cases of life-and-death emergencies. If they're truly given next to no luxuries, this wouldn't happen but in rare cases. Sadly, they're probably hampered by a handful of ****-kickers; instead of really doing good in this world, they're too chicken and outgunned to deal with real enemies, afraid to risk their butts while using their heads in tactical warfare. Or they wouldn't pass a military aptitude test without a new frontal lobe. Instead, they'll take out their aggression on low-hanging fruit in a caged hunt due to their low pay and lower self-esteem.

Last edited:
And it should be noted that a judge, not a parent who isn't at the helm of responsible decision-making without a checkbook, should be making this decision

Well, pitfalls with even that. :ill:

"Kids for Cash" scandal. :eek:

http://www.jlc.org/current-initiatives/promoting-fairness-courts/luzerne-kids-cash-scandal

Though the court denied our initial petition, once the United States Attorney alleged that Ciavarella and another Luzerne County judge had accepted nearly $2.6 million in alleged kickbacks from two private for-profit juvenile facilities, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court granted our request for extraordinary relief. The US Attorney also filed federal criminal charges against both judges.

The scope of the violations of the children’s rights in Luzerne County turned out to be more egregious than anyone could have imagined. From 2003 to 2008, the Luzerne County judicial corruption scandal altered the lives of more than 2500 children and involved more than 6000 cases. Over 50 percent of the children who appeared before Ciavarella lacked legal representation; 60 percent of these children were removed from their homes. Many of them were sent to one or both of the two facilities at the center of the corruption scandal. Believed to be the largest judicial corruption scandal in our history,the story was featured in a 2009 episode of ABC’s “20/20.”

For their involvement in the “kids-for-cash” scandal, Judge Michael Conahan, the facilities’ former co- owner Robert Powell, and the developer Robert Mericle pled guilty to federal criminal charges; Judge Mark Ciavarella was found guilty of various federal crimes following his trial in 2011. In 2009, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court vacated the adjudications of all youth who appeared before Ciavarella between 2003-2008, dismissed their cases with prejudice and ordered all of their records expunged.

...and that's what can happen when some things are privatized. Although, taxpayers still indirectly pay for a detention facility, and it's in their benefit to keep them at high capacity to get the funding they need (via a head count). And you can rarely legally overcrowd a facility (well, they're not supposed to, but that happens too - after all, who wants a prison built near their neighborhood).

Of course, the question unasked is "How did those kids appear in front of the judge in the first place?" I'm sure it wasn't because their school took them on a tour of the local courthouse, for a whimsical day-long jaunt through the legal system.

(Frankly, showing them the achingly boring bureaucracy of it all might be one of the better ways to set kids straight.)

The around-the-clock pattern of admissions (there's no set start of the curriculum) does seem a bit...suspect for a school that will accept a student in as little as 24 hours. In some cases, they do have to wait until the check clears.

I suppose this is the type of place that a repeat juvenile offender (or serious crimes, not petty stuff) belongs, one that commits felonious crimes that affect society; not a kid who turned to atheism, stole a pack of gum a few times, or experienced some other personal lifestyle change that pisses off dear old dad. And it should be noted that a judge, not a parent who isn't at the helm of responsible decision-making without a checkbook, should be making this decision, because by then it's quite serious, and highly probable that the crime the offender commits is going to land them in a system that they'd probably never truly escape from.

Why? It's because jail isn't going to be any sweeter to them before adulthood (and they can rarely place a juvenile wrongdoer in a real prison until they're an adult). And unless it's a white-collar crime camp for wealthy offenders, prison isn't going to be much fun, either. Even the lowest-security jails for non-violent offenders, guarded by video cameras and a couple of fences, instead of riflemen upon watchtowers, is still a sucktacular place to be stuck for a while. Everything is held to a rigid standard and there's little to no deviation for anything, except perhaps your diet, and fun is restricted to how much you can distract yourself from how bored and miserable your options have become.

I think you're hearing only one side of the story with some of these kids. They aren't going to admit to more serious crimes. After all, it's YouTube, your name is attached to that video; nobody's going to drag their own reputation through the mud, even if they brought clumsily brought along their own dirt and water.

I'm not a huge fan of authority; I mock it and question it when I get a chance, but that's only after I've realized how much you disappointingly need it to glue this world together. Even if it appears to be loosely held together with rubber bands and Post-it notes, with a few bent, rusty nails to show they mean business every so often. These are places for those fleshbags that constantly flaunt how much of a screw-up they are, either. It's those rare ones who are a constantly reminding us that they're a few brain cells short of a pickle barrel and still hump your leg futilely, which need a good ditching into these kinds of places until the eye dropper's empty and the ultraviolent movies have ceased.

These juvenile halls shouldn't have to kill the kids or beat them to a pulp except in genuine cases of life-and-death emergencies. If they're truly given next to no luxuries, this wouldn't happen but in rare cases. Sadly, they're probably hampered by a handful of ****-kickers; instead of really doing good in this world, they're too chicken and outgunned to deal with real enemies, afraid to risk their butts while using their heads in tactical warfare. Or they wouldn't pass a military aptitude test without a new frontal lobe. Instead, they'll take out their aggression on low-hanging fruit in a caged hunt due to their low pay and lower self-esteem.

Indeed kidnapping, imprisonment and senseless abuse (of power) make the kids respect authority and turns them into good, law-abiding citizens. Why am I even campaigning against such a great idea? :rolleyes:

If only today's parents qualified as parents, there wouldn't be a need for these concentration camps...

Back