Sardegna Leaderboard: Grind Times for 45 Cars, Strategies, Tunes & FAQ's (post 1.31)

• Thread starter BobDx123
  • 593 comments
United States
United States
Welcome to Sardegna’s Leaderboards

Whether you’re a beginner level or expert, we welcome submissions of all race times with any car (although most people skip Gr.3 cars as the AI uses them in the race). Older race times are good to post as well, so long as they are from after March 30th 2023 when update 1.31 was released as significant changes affecting handling, physics and the pp system made earlier periods no longer comparable.

——————-
Submit your time by posting a screenshot or picture of the post race results that shows time & fastest lap. Its helpful to include those times as text in the post for me to transfer the info to the leaderboards. When submitting multiple times in one post consider adding a summary at the top or bottom with the times grouped together.
Click the following for an example
Multiple Race Times and look at the bottom.

——————-
Directly below are recognitions of three unique levels of achievement. Scroll further to find the following leaderboards:
  1. One ordered by the fastest finish time for each car, acknowledging the driver
  2. One that lists all cars and acknowledges every driver that posted a time with it
  3. One with the same info as first, grouped and organized by car type + alphabetically. *This is the easiest way to find info about a specific car and whether or not anyone has raced with it yet.
——————

Click for Tunes & Strategies Cars are up, links are working. More Cars being added and updated

Fastest Driver & Runner Ups (Any Car) as of 10/16/23

🥇1st Place: Turbodatsun🇦🇺 - 22:32.491 (Nissan R92CP) Click to Watch Race (Previous Example)
🥈2nd Place: Grimm6Jack🇵🇹 - 22:38.035 (Nissan R92CP)
🥉3rd Place: Larzi🇫🇮 - 22:38.420 (Nissan R92CP)

——————————————————————————————————

Members of The 22 Club
(x = number of cars below 23 minutes) Their are 6 Cars capable
  • Autobahn GTO🇺🇸 (x2)
  • Grimm6Jack🇵🇹 (x4)
  • Kowalski_1🇨🇦 (x1)
  • Larzi🇫🇮 (x6)🏆
  • LoderoHS🇮🇹 (x1)
  • Pedda🇩🇪 (x3)
  • peniu🇵🇱 (x6)🏆
  • RealPlonker🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 (x2)
  • Tmtk🇺🇳 (x2)
  • Turbodatsun🇦🇺 (x3)
  • TusMBox🇺🇸 (x4)
——————————————————————————————————-
Members of Club 23
* Any cars except Group C (787B, R92CP, C9, 962C, XJR-9) & Escudo
(x = number of cars below 24 minutes) There are at least 20 Cars capable, a couple more may be able as well.

• BobDx123🇺🇸 (x1)
  • Chikane_GTR🇺🇸 (x1)
  • Larzi🇫🇮 (x20)
  • Lfm58🇮🇹 (x1)
  • Peniu🇵🇱 (x3 / x1)
  • Turbodatsun🇦🇺 (x1 / x1)
——————————————————————————————————-
👑 Swap Kings 👑
Still Figuring This Out

* Gr.1 engines under 24 minutes? =?

• Gr.2 engines under 24:30? = ?
  • Gr.3 engines under 25 minutes? =?
  • Race & Pro Tune engines under? =?
  • Road engines under 26 minutes or win race? =?
(x = number of swapped cars won on “hard” difficulty)
  • AlexWilmot🇬🇧 x3
  • peniu🇲🇨 x4
  • RealPlonker🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 x1
  • TurboDatsun🇦🇺 x1

Leaderboard Rankings as of 10/16/23

Top Fifty Fastest Cars

Fastest Drivers for Each Car (Ranked)

Fastest Times for All Cars (Organized)

Engine Swapped Cars (Coming Soon)

—————————————————————————————

Original 1st Post Has Been Moved Down a Couple

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not even close! This mornings Sardegna run in the new-to-me Escudo was 25:XX with two fuel stops. I need to get a 787B when it comes back out.

Original First Post from April 6th Moved Here

In the 787B my first couple races were 23:30’s with faster hot laps (1:29’s) but were negated by some garbage laps. Would have been an amazing time pre-update, now this is nothing crazy, couple races afterwards dropped another 10 seconds and the car still isn’t tuned properly.

IMG_2615.png

IMG_2663.png

All of the cars definitely still needs some work; I’m waiting for the experienced tuning guys to release updated versions of these cars. However, even in their current condition, they can absolutely get quite a bit below these times; these were mostly test runs to gauge their new performance. I was able to achieve a trial lap with the 787B of 1:28.510, which I’m sure that can also be lowered. As expected their likely ~3/4 sec slower in the event.

The quickest sectors from 787B from separate laps

sector 1 = 30.997
sector 2 = 28.676
sector 3 = 28.633

= 1:28.306 “Potential Lap”
The R92CP and the XJR-9 are 1:29’s so far and the 962C and C9 were ~1:30’s; the latter two finishing in the 23:40’s in their first races.

————-

* I’m hoping the new physics and other changes will breathe new life into this race… something much needed in my opinion, due to the limited number of high payout races. Before 1.31, I was on a ~6 week hiatus from Sardegna; burnt out from grinding and achieving a few goals I set for myself

EDIT: Although I’ve tried to update the text and info, I started writing this like 5? days ago, put it off and came back

Last edited:
The various Race Cars and their average/best grind times will be listed in the 2nd post. I may move it to the top later

@ROCKET JOE & anyone else that’s interested

Regarding the tunes and racing strategy…

So after I figured out which tune was for that race this morning I saw that Praiano has actually had a tune up for a few days now. There wasn’t anything around when I made mine so looking how things stack up. I tried his tune in both “Time Trials” and the Event.

I was able to achieve a decent first lap or two with it. However in the Event I found the turning a little tight and less forgiving if perfect brake trailing isn’t used so I decided to test to some changes.

Unfortunately, once again I ran into the AI Skipping all pit stops again yesterday, at least 4 separate races. So it was difficult to draw conclusions about lap times for more than half the race

Sorry if its confusing, I write the above yesterday because I was trying to test things out. It was crazy, I’ll include info about it shortly

- The first two pics are the tune I made last weekend that was used in the 23:21 race. *Missing from view is the brake balance, which was set to “2” (rear wheels). As I mentioned the other day that tune needs a lot of work, it’s still very fast though

- The 3rd pic is a modified set I made, essentially just a longer 1st gear.

- The 4th pic is Praiano’s Tune that I found yesterday.

After trying his, I combined parts of both into a new one I’m testing.

1) Praiano Suspension + LCD but with “1.0 & 1.0” negative camber”
2) My ECU, Ballast+Position, Restrictor & Gearing

E1FD22EC-E0DC-4AF5-80EB-C8F3D9D88C00.png

5D81D44F-753B-4A3C-9A2D-5A98ECEBE9A8.png

2A56FA36-79E9-4A98-9DAA-7BEFF3E96DFA.jpeg

2E4E6A57-2BDA-481E-8092-32D78CD6EEB7.jpeg

Strategy for a 23:20 time or lower

- Laps 1-6 FM1

- Lap 7 FM1 (shift a little early if over used in 1-6)
*Pit:New RM and Full Tank

- Laps 8-15 (FM2 for 2-3 laps) FM1 for the remainder

*FM2: Use discretion. I would use it for the “pit out” lap and 1 or 2 additional in laps with traffic. I will switch back to FM1 on the final straights

*Conserving Fuel:

In the 2nd half of the race, I will shift a little earlier in the fill progress of the “Indicator Bar”, ~ 1/2 or 3/4 in some gears, when traffic is slowing me anyway or my lap time is progressing within expected limits. Sometimes it’s just shifting into 5th gear a little early. I generally don’t push the rpm limiter long after the bar fills UNLESS I have saved more gas. It’s a bit of a balancing act.

Lap Times

Lap (1) - Aim for around 1:32

*In sector 2, try to pass the group of cars “before” their spread creates a blockade around the 2nd blue arch so there’s less interference in sector 3.

*Try to reach the penalty line at or before 1:20

Laps (2-6) - Try to maintain 1:30-1:31, Try to avoid 1:32-1:33’s in this stage
*Ideally grabbing 2nd place around the first turn of lap 2

Lap 7 - “Pit in” Try to stay as close to 2 minutes as possible, ideally within couple seconds

Lap (8) - “Pit out” Aim for 1:33-1:34

Laps - (9-15) Try to maintain an average of 1:31.5

ie. a 1:33 from a using FM2 can be balanced out by (3) 1:31 laps or a single 1:30 in FM1

Last edited:
The various Race Cars and their average/best grind times will be listed in the 2nd post. I may move it to the top later

WTF!
I just raced Sardegna again and now it’s 3 DAYS IN A ROW of skipped pit stops

Race was done with the Hybrid tune I was talking about in the last post.
I’m posting this race even though the time isn’t great because of the pit stop fiasco. Obviously the level of interference isn’t always the same but it still sucks. Disclaimer though, I screwed up the first lap starting at least 2 seconds behind usual

Below the race stats is the tune I just used. Obviously it could have done better

I am all ears to suggestions of how to improve this tune even further. I’m also not certain if the second gear set with the higher gears is better than the original yet or not

CB581BFA-DAB6-47FC-A372-07B37A153603.jpeg

D9C583D3-6DDE-4169-8A71-22E9BD0EC7D9.png

B593BF89-AB73-4961-BC27-5521D5B4784B.png

06179F2F-7416-4399-B717-A4ECAB8DD06C.png

Strategy for a 23:20 time or lower

- Laps 1-6 FM1

*FM2: Use discretion. I would use it for the “pit out” lap and 1 or 2 additional in laps with traffic. I will switch back to FM1 on the final straights

*Conserving Fuel:

In the 2nd half of the race, I will shift a little earlier in the fill progress of the “Indicator Bar”, ~ 1/2 or 3/4 in some gears, when traffic is slowing me anyway or my lap time is progressing within expected limits. Sometimes it’s just shifting into 5th gear a little early. I generally don’t push the rpm limiter long after the bar fills UNLESS I have saved more gas. It’s a bit of a balancing act.

Lap Times

*In sector 2, try to pass the group of cars “before” their spread creates a blockade around the 2nd blue arch so there’s less interference in sector 3.

Lap 7 - “Pit in” Try to stay as close to 2 minutes as possible, ideally within couple seconds

ie. a 1:33 from a using FM2 can be balanced out by (3) 1:31 laps or a single 1:30 in FM1

Last edited:
That is really strange that you are having AI skip pit stops. I did a bunch of races last night and the AI went in for their pit stops predictably. I did have it on easy mode, do you?

That is really strange that you are having AI skip pit stops. I did a bunch of races last night and the AI went in for their pit stops predictably. I did have it on easy mode, do you?
Yeah it’s a pretty rare occurrence and happens once in a while on other tracks as well. It’s usually just one driver, however, when they run out of gas they putt along at 50mph for 10 laps and it causes havoc with the other AI. Not only does it cause multi car pileups but often they will trail behind them like 5-6 cars deep and take up huge swaths of the track. I have no idea why they don’t just pass or drive around them but they all behave differently.

This happened to me on one other occasion at Sardegna (February?) where every race was affected for the entire weekend. This time is 3 days straight so far, pretty crazy.

Also, the difficulty is set to Hard. It’s beneficial when you’re driving a really fast car that laps the other racers as the AI drives faster, creating less traffic and congestion that gets in the way and slows you down.

————————————————-

For any that are interested,

Strategy for the 787B tune above for a 23:20 time or lower.

. I’m adding the info below to the post above as well

- Laps 1-6 FM1

*Conserving Fuel:

Lap Times

Last edited:
Last night, I ran a 23:29 in the R92CP. Previously, I tried the RS 5 and ran somewhere in the mid to high 24's.
Nice! What type of lap times did you see in your race? We’re there spikes of faster laps or pretty even throughout?
The Gr.1 classics are beasts this update. So far the 787B and the R92CP have been the fastest I’ve tested. I think the Jag could end up there too when figure out a better tune. The others aren’’t too far behind but need more work. I really think once an ideal tune is created for these cars we’ll see them break into 22 minute territory by a few seconds.

———————————

So today marks Day 4 of AI skipping pitstops at Sardegna in every race. I did a race, left, went to the garage, did Time Trials, raced another track twice and when I came back to Sardegna it did it again! I’m going to try to reset the PS5 and see if that does anthying.

Since buying the Escudo, I have yet to have even one regular race there

Last edited:
It wasn't my most consistent race. My fastest was, I believe, a mid 1:28, but ranged anywhere from 1:29's up to 1:34's. I'll run some more races today and see if I can put together some cleaner runs.

The original several posts are still being edited.

I’m curtailing and slightly changing the direction of this thread a bit to hopefully make it a more useful resource.

Going forward, I’m dedicating a sections that will include the following:

1. A list of the fastest times for this race
  2. A list of the fastest & average times for each car. Hopefully this will spur others to try not only to beat certain times but also to drive a variety of different cars at Sardegna
  3. An FAQ section where posted questions and answers will appear in the same place for others to find
  4. A Tips section where members can share general advice they found helpful so we can all improve our own times
  5. Links to members’ tunes & strategy
  6. Links to members’ media for recorded races (In game video or Youtube)

Please feel free to continue posting/adding info or questions as I clean this up and reorganize.

*All submitted race times are helpful, whether they’re faster than others have posted or NOT, this will also help provide a more accurate average time for members to complete the race, AND at various experience levels

Last edited:
Reboot your PS5 to fix the AI skipping pit stops issue. Has worked for several of us.
Yep!

I’m the same one who was having a problem and made that post yesterday so others could see that don’t visit this thread 👍

I was detailing my troubles here as they were happening. I forgot to update the posts above to reflect that

I've been trying to get a sub 25 min race in the Audi DTM with master p's 800pp tune. Came very close today. Optimal lap was 1:34.817 RM tires, FM1, 2 stops for fuel, change tires once. I'm getting really close!
20230411_174308.jpg

Last edited:
With 2 stops FM 2-1 few errors and easy to get sub 25s .
People familiar with the track and MT gears users can do sub 24s with one stop only , even at FM1 or 2 . Faster than the audi ( for me ) and easier.
New kid on the block.
IMG_20230412_090642943_HDR.jpg

I didn't know 23 minute races were possible, I shall have to try out your set-up!

I've been mostly using the CLK GTR for mid 24m races (best around 24m37 I think, laps around 1:34, 1:35, not done any set-up work on it at all, just use racing hards, pitting once at the halfway point, FM1 and short shift a fair bit). The F1 GTR is close, but can't match the CLK's pace, and uses more fuel. Again, not really tuned at all.

I found the CLK / F1 to be faster than the various Group C cars, but that is without any tuning so clearly I need to pay more attention!

Just a short report in between :

Third race with the 787 and @BobDx123 's tune brought a 23:29 with a FL of 1:29.5 ... I was speechless. Great tune, very fast. :bowdown:
I think I'll be back with more info soon.
One question left : Do you 787 / R92 / Escudo guys all have to brake / lift for that right kink before the pit entry ?

I tried the 787B with the tune above and first time out did a 23:59 race so it definitely works! That's with my AI still missing pit stops (I still haven't rebooted since the update...) and a few crashes whilst I got the hang of the car.

Having never used one of these weird 'rake tunes' it was a shock how dreadfully the car handled, I can see why people complain about understeer if they have these sorts of tunes! There seemed an even finer margin to trail braking than normal to turn the car in, but you can't argue with the speed.

For me, although it saves 30+ seconds over a standard aero / suspension CLK / F1 GTR it's so nasty to drive I think I'd rather grind the longer race, but I'll definitely give it a few more goes as it's just a case of adapting (improving...) my driving. It doesn't help that I grind with the controller so my trail braking etc. is poor.

I've finally breached the 20,000,000 mark for the first time ever I think, I'm tempted by the 250 GTO but was really saving up for a McLaren F1 (road car) so I'm torn. I shall try and grind away whilst the 250 is available and see how I get on. Thanks for sharing anyway, it being in a fresh thread was helpful.

I tried the 787B with the tune above and first time out did a 23:59 race so it definitely works! That's with my AI still missing pit stops (I still haven't rebooted since the update...) and a few crashes whilst I got the hang of the car.

Having never used one of these weird 'rake tunes' it was a shock how dreadfully the car handled, I can see why people complain about understeer if they have these sorts of tunes! There seemed an even finer margin to trail braking than normal to turn the car in, but you can't argue with the speed.

For me, although it saves 30+ seconds over a standard aero / suspension CLK / F1 GTR it's so nasty to drive I think I'd rather grind the longer race, but I'll definitely give it a few more goes as it's just a case of adapting (improving...) my driving. It doesn't help that I grind with the controller so my trail braking etc. is poor.
It doesn't handle dreadfully, I've seen worse. IMHO is a setup better adjusted for controllers than steering wheels.
The weird part is than is virtually impossible to power oversteer with this setup, with the rear ride height on the max and almost 900 hp, you just smash the throttle at any speed and it doesn't even flick. Of course it has massive understeer (yet burns the rears faster than the fronts), you must be careful in many places than we weren't used to, but at least there isn't snappy oversteer on lift off.
Not very fun to drive but not dreadful.

This setup (with longer ratios) is even better at the Neoclassical Challenge, at Fuji, the grip exiting the slow corners (you would have entry/mid corner understeer anyway) is amazing and you gain seconds after seconds.

It doesn't handle dreadfully, I've seen worse. IMHO is a setup better adjusted for controllers than steering wheels.
The weird part is than is virtually impossible to power oversteer with this setup, with the rear ride height on the max and almost 900 hp, you just smash the throttle at any speed and it doesn't even flick. Of course it has massive understeer (yet burns the rears faster than the fronts), you must be careful in many places than we weren't used to, but at least there isn't snappy oversteer on lift off.
Not very fun to drive but not dreadful.

This setup (with longer ratios) is even better at the Neoclassical Challenge, at Fuji, the grip exiting the slow corners (you would have entry/mid corner understeer anyway) is amazing and you gain seconds after seconds.
Apologies, dreadful was a poor choice of words. I should have said handles "completely opposite to how I like a car to handle", as you say, there is no power oversteer, and the need to manage understeer constantly isn't much fun for me :)

It's clearly a very effective setup, and very good for its intended purpose, but it is no fun to drive at all for me, which is fine as it's not intended to be 'fun', it's the GT Grind :)

Last edited:
@ROCKET JOE @Sturdy @pedrocor @Dan_Tes

Which tune did you try? There are 2.

The one higher up is named 4.0, and is what I created and used in the race.

The one labeled 4.1 near the bottom is a combination of Praiano’s suspension with a reduction in negative camber combined with my power/ballast/gears. I was hoping to combine his more experienced tuning of suspension with how my car does fuel and power.

I would LOVE and have been waiting for others to either make adjustments or come up with a new tune, seriously. I’ve said this is going to be a sub 23 when all said and done.

I have negligible experience tuning “from scratch”

EDIT:
As I mentioned near the top, I created for my first time driving this new update and tried to make something managable until the more Experienced step in and make a great one

Last edited:
@ROCKET JOE @Sturdy @pedrocor

The one labeled 4.1 near the bottom is a combination of Praiano’s suspension with a reduction in negative camber combined with my power/ballast/gears. I was hoping to combine his more experienced tuning of suspension with how my car does fuel and power.

I would LOVE and have been waiting for others to either make adjustments or come up with a new tune, seriously. I’ve said this is going to be a sub 23 when all said and done.

I have negligible experience tuning “from scratch”

EDIT:
As I mentioned near the top, I created for my first time driving this new update and tried to make something managable until the more Experienced step in and make a great one
I used your 4.0 tune with a tiny change in the ballast / restrictor section.
I'm at work atm so sry ... I'll be back later. ;)

Last edited:
Apologies, dreadful was a poor choice of words. I should have said handles "completely opposite to how I like a car to handle", as you say, there is no power oversteer, and the need to manage understeer constantly isn't much fun for me :)

It's clearly a very effective setup, and very good for its intended purpose, but it is no fun to drive at all for me, which is fine as it's not intended to be 'fun', it's the GT Grind :)
No fun it is, that's for sure.

@ROCKET JOE @Sturdy @pedrocor

I used the 4.1. Tonight I will try the 4.0 and see, probably more confortable with that camber. The Praiano tunes are great (and he is on a controller, like I said, that setup could work better on a controller) but in rare occasions can't handle some esquisite behaviors (specially is setup for the Honda RA272)
For sure 4.1 was the fastest car/setup combo I used ever in this race, by far (still haven't tried the Escudo on 1.31), although I'm having serious issues with the potentiometer of my G29 (for sure has dust on it, not the first time, I've been moving around some furniture on my extra room, where I've the setup, more dust in the air than usual, even drilled some holes to hand some shelfs), so losing some time on that.

Last edited:
These are the two I’m referring two, although on the 3rd page both have a +2 brake balance

Which are we talking about?

E
Yap, that's it, with 1.0 camber.
I ended up putting more braking in the front, as it felt to me that the braking on the rear wasn't helping the car rotate, was increasing rear tire wear and increasing braking distances. Not a big difference though.

@Sturdy & @pedrocor
Right on guys, understood and appreciate the feedback 👍
I’m on the controller for the time being, already have the PSVR2, hopefully a wheel will be next.ave great appreciation for what Praiano does and use a number of his tunes on my cars. The one he made for the 787 worked okTime
I’m well aware the tune(s) has many shortcomings, I’m still trying to make something more suitable until the Pros release a “real” tune, but it still needs work. Generally I’m comfortable tinkering with one I already enjoy; starting from scratch has never been my forte. I didn’t intend to share this to be displayed as “the recommended tune”, I posted it upon request to show how I got a certain race time and the strategy to achieve it. This is something I cobbled together the first day to get the car back on the road and take advantage of the new power available at this pp limit. It was just barely enough that I could get around the course in a quick time fairly consistently.

Before the update, I used John Wedley’s tune for the 787, which I loved. I made some small modifications after driving it for a long time. Unfortunately, when the update hit, all the tunes I used for it became un-drivable and with absurd amounts of understeer. It has made this process a nightmare and many of the tricks I’ve tried to induce oversteer are falling flat or are causing other problems. The amount of aero that comes stock allows the car to take turns much faster but the penalty to pp is crazy. The list goes on…
Trials test but for whatever reason I still encountered understeer in the actual event. His tune may work better with a wh
I have a feeling when the 787 comes back to legendary soon new tunes will start popping up… which I eagerly await.

*Either way, I suggest you try @Autobahn GTO tune for the Escudo. I’m certain that will be what you’re looking for. He is some sort of wizard, right up there with John Wedley IMO.

Here is his link Tune for Escudo

EDIT: I’m also a fan of Praiano’s tunes and use them on a good number of cars. I tried his tune in TT and worked ok but felt like I was getting understeer in the event. If you haven’t tried his yet, it’s likely worth a go and might be even better with a wheel. Regardless, it will be more refined and a nicer, more enjoyable drive 👍

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back