GT Academy 2011 - UK GAME Wild Card Competition(s)

• Thread starter Synwraith
  • 38 comments

Synwraith

GT Academy 2013
Staff Emeritus
Iran
London
GTP_Synwraith
5ahr40.jpg

GAME STORES TO HOST UK GT ACADEMY WILDCARD CONTEST

5496643780_bbb1659e35_b.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment UK (SCE UK) and Nissan have teamed up with the GAME retail chain to stage an additional chance to reach the National Finals of the 2011 GT Academy, the European racing competition that uses the full sensation of the Gran Turismo®5 game to find a real-world racing driver. The stakes are high, with an intensive race training programme and fully-supported drive in a Nissan 370Z GT4 car in the prestigious Dubai 24 Hour International race as the ultimate prize.

The GT Academy online gaming phase is currently live and will end on the 17th of April, but the ‘Wildcard’ competition hosted at GAME stores, provides an additional route to the UK National Finals. The venues and dates for the ‘Wild Card’ contest include:

• April 8th - Manchester - Trafford Centre - 11am - 7pm
• April 9th - Norwich - 10am - 5pm
• April 15th - Glasgow - Silverburn Shopping Centre - 11am - 7pm
• April 16th - Reading - The Oracle Shopping Centre - 10am - 6pm

Entrants will be invited to take part in a GT5 time trial challenge. The best drivers from each GAME store will win exclusive GT5 prizes. The best time overall across the four Wildcard events will win the extra place at the GT Academy National Finals.

Tensions at the National Final in May will be running high as the cream of PlayStation 3 racers battle each other across a series of Gran Turismo 5 challenges. Marking a first for GT Academy, the National Finalists will also face additional non-gaming challenges, details of which will be unveiled in due course.

Two UK National Final victors will advance to Silverstone Circuit for the GT Academy Race Camp, staged in June. They will have a chance to transfer their GT5 skills onto the real race track driving an array of Nissan cars, such as the 3.7-litre, 323bhp 370Z model, while also being judged on their fitness and mental attitude by a range of racing experts.

Demonstrating the success of the GT Academy programme, Lucas Ordoñez, the inaugural winner from 2008, is currently competing in the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup and recently scored an impressive 2nd place in the LMP2 class with the Signatech Oreca-Nissan team at the 12hr of Sebring. In June, Lucas and the team will tackle the world famous Le Mans 24 Hours.

“We’re delighted to offer our customers this chance to attend the GT Academy and possibly win the opportunity to be part of the Dubai 24 Hour International race. We know that GT5 fans will be queuing up to prove their mettle and we look forward to seeing how far our ‘wildcard’ can go in the competition.” - GAME Spokesperson

***UPDATE***

GT Academy are pleased to announce the track & car for the UK Wild Card competition at GAME retail stores. GT Academy have chosen the demanding Indianapolis Road Course & the super quick Nissan GT-R! Events taking place at Manchester Trafford Centre (April 8th 11-7pm) Norwich (April 9th 10-5pm) Glasgow Silverburn Shopping Centre (April 15th 11-7pm) Reading The Oracle Shopping (April 16th 10-6pm)

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Is anyone going to the Manchester event? I might call in at the Trafford Centre on my way home tomorrow (just to have a nosy) for the last hour or so. Will you be there Maz?

Funnily enough I might actually be able to go to the Manchester one. Although I need to be the other side of the country that afternoon/ evening so I wont be able to stay for long given that it doesn't start till 11. I cant attend any of the other sessions so whatever time im able to set will be a massive bullseye for everyone to aim for in future sessions.:scared:

Prudent are you currently in the top 20 online?

I'm ineligible for the competition due to going to Silverstone last time so I haven't been pushing for a top 20 place. I had three 1 hour sessions a few weeks ago where I tried to set a benchmark time (2:17.8xx) but that had already been comprehensively blown out of the water. I dare say if I put in the required time I might be in with a shout of the top 20 as there's a few guys in there who I can usually keep up with on a good day. With nothing at stake I'm just enjoying being an interested spectator.

Ah i see. Whats your situation when it comes to the wild card qualifiers? Im guessing you can take part but not be entered to the final should you win then?

I can't take part at all other than for fun in the time trial. Any time I set would be ignored. As I don't live too far away I thought I might call in at the Trafford centre after work to watch the fun but not compete. Just wondered if anyone from GTPlanet was likely to be there.

Updated opening post with combo details.

John, I'm not planning to be at any of these events unfortunately. If there's any change to those plans I'll let you know 👍

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Nice Maz, same tires as before?

It appears so Steve, I would imagine they are also going with the same settings recommendations that were originally made, but I've not had that confirmed.

Good luck to you and all who manage to make it to a participating GAME store 👍

All the best
Maz

Made it to the Trafford Centre tonight but there weren't many people there at all. It wasn't obvious from outside the shop that there was an event on. Needed a big GT Academy sign or something! Well done Stune - I see you were first there and nobody came near your time all day. Had a good chat with the guys running the event and it was nice to meet Chris (GTP_Neenor) in person after racing on line quite a bit.

Might try make it up to Reading for one of the Days if I can book it off work :) Get some practice in for the time being! Maz will you be at all of the Wildcard Events again?

Might try make it up to Reading for one of the Days if I can book it off work :) Get some practice in for the time being! Maz will you be at all of the Wildcard Events again?

I don't think so buddy, they're all a little outside my radius :)

Also these are GAME-specific events so I wouldn't be staff anyway, just hanging around as a pain in the neck (much like last weekend) just without the iPad :D

All the best
Maz

cheers, it was pretty good fun just having the 2 laps which counted. really put the pressure on :)
gl to those going to the remaining ones :)

cheers, it was pretty good fun just having the 2 laps which counted. really put the pressure on :)
gl to those going to the remaining ones :)

Hi mate.. so we only get 2 laps huh? Unlike in London where they could run 3 laps then que again to have another go..

Edit.. Was aloud only 3 laps and fastest counted. your safe Stune. ;-)

Last edited:
So who won at Norwich ?

I am not sure, I didn't stay till the end as I was there at 10am, and only being aloud 3 laps total I wasn't gonna hang around till 5pm to find out.. I did ask the girl that if I had the fastest time in the store, would they let me know today and she said no, maybe Monday or Tues, or even after the other stores had ran there events.. :dopey: 💡

Hi all, I went along to the Glasgow event today around lunch time. Very quiet and only a few names on the list.

Lots of dad's trying to impress the kids ;-)

I got respectable (but not great) time of 1:42.5(ish) but wondered if anyone was around at the finish to see the winning time?

Just had a phone call from Sony. I did set the fastest lap in the Norwich store... :D

DFGT press pack and a copy of the game is coming my way.. 👍

Back