GT Comparisons/Reviews - "Back w/ Euro-flair"

If the OP would like another contribution, I'm preparing another McLaren Vs. Ferrari comparison I'm planning to post here.

Bigbazz
458 Vs MP4-12c? The ultimate modern showdown! In this case I would choose the 458 in GT5 atleast.

Damn you and your espionage tactics! :lol:.

Actually, the idea is a 7-speed modern supercar showdown. So it isn't limited to those two.

finnracer

And there goes the surprise :grumpy::sly:.

In the meantime, let me take note here this apparently nonsensical collection of numbers.

336 3:58.712
325 3.59.710
330 3.59.870

Last edited:
"The Seventh Seal"

Following up the Enzo Vs. McF1 comparison, I bring you this comparison of it's direct and modern descendants: The McLaren MP4-12C and the Ferrari 458 Italia. One curious new gimmick they have, is a new sequential gearbox with 7 speeds. This made me bring a third car for comparison which has the same number of gears and is the succesor to another world-class supercar, AMG's all new SLS. This are the latest incarnations of the McLaren F1, the Ferrari Enzo, and the Mercedes SLR, respectively and as such they should be real track monsters. But they aren't. They are super-fast cars for the track, billed to work as well as GT super-expensive cruisers, so comfort and ride is also important here (though, never as important as sheer speed). So, the questions I'm here to answer are:

1. Which is the best of the 7-speed supercars?
2. What's a 7th Gear for? What was wrong with the usual 6?

For evaluation I'm gonna take up four aspects making up 100%, they will be track performance (Driving feel=30%, Grand Valley Speedway time=15%, Circuit de La Sarthe time=15%, Top Speed=10%), Exterior (10%), Interior (5%), Sound (5%), and Comfort (10%). Having ran out of blabber, let us begin with what everyone here came for: The performance tests.

Performance

Grand Valley Speedway Time Trial test:

It's mix of tight, continuous radius, and sweeper turns made Grand Valley an interesting test track. It's odd mix of turn types took the cars a bit out of the comfort zones, and some were more uncomfortable than the others. I ran a couple of laps with each car until I felt I wouldn't be able to improve the time anymore. The scoring here will be 15%, 10%, and 5% depending on how the car ranks on the time table. I was in for a shocker...

1. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG - 2'08.233- 15%

The heaviest, most comfortable, most front-engined, most German car of the lot took the checker here. No, seriously, it did. The raw-sounding German grand tourer took the track by assault with it's trusty handling: very grippy in the sweepers and very predictable coming out of the hairpins. The car was the most planted of the trio when taking turns at speed, it asked you to push the throttle more but punished you if you went over the limit (as the other two do). Steering was, albeit a bit heavy, quite precise and responsive, feedback was excellent and informed you exactly where the rear end was which allowed me to get a little more creative with the throttle steering the car with the right pedal throughout some turns. The massive brakes aided with the airbrake meant quick and trusty stopping power that could bring things back to normal should they go wrong. Be careful though, even if this car is the most forgiving and tolerant of the trio it still can be a handful to novice drivers and needs some good concentration to drive properly. It still burns it's tyres when going full throttle on first gear and will kill you if you come out of the turns doing the same thing. Compared to the other two, this car felt the most at home here and I felt the most at home in it. It's pleaseant to drive fast and the time comfirms it.

2. Ferrari 458 Italia - 2'08.840 - 10%

The Ferrari clinched the middle spot for being the...ermm...most middle car of the test. It wasn't as tractable (Yes, tractable as in traction. And as in it's conventional meaning) as the SLS but nor was it as knife-edge as the MP412C. It had a steering a bit more precise and considerably lighter than the one on the SLS, brakes were also very good and up to the task but are perhaps the "less remarkable" of the trio, which shouldn't make them sound bad at all because they are pretty amazing. Maybe it's because it is the only one here without an airbrake-auto-spoiler gizmo thingy. The gearbox here diserves a special mention, it allows the car to have some awe-inspiring acceleration that just eats gears and seems never-ending. It's a really amazing job coupling those quick gearshifts with the beautifully screaming, incredibly high revving and powerful engine, and you'll notice it in every straight line and coming out of every corner, and in the middle of every corner...well, everywhere. As I said, the car isn't as forgivable as the SLS (Which, mind you, isn't an Audi R8 or a GT-R in terms of absolute forgiveness and ease) but it's mile ahead of it's British rival. It is however a joy to drive, and though it isn't as fast as the SLS for a small margin it is a fast one really.

3. McLaren MP4-12C - 2'08.982 - 5%

This. Is. Not. A. Tea. Party. And don't even for a while think it will be one, or else the McMP4 will knock you out, bite your head off, and then dance a jig over it. Steering is precise and light, but sometimes it gets a little too light when you feel the car has let go, and this isn't a good kind of lightness. All around, the car felt uneasy and made me felt frightened when going trough all those bits of track that go between the straights...erm...corners! That's it. It's really uneasy and unforgiving on corners. Don't ever get creative with it either, the car punishes creativity regarding braking and steering procedures with the same severity it rewards playing the game by it's rules. The car really feels more like an obstacle to drive, rather than a tool to do so. With the MP4-12C there's only way to go around a track, and the more you're away from it the more time you'll take going around, and the more times you'll have to wash your underwear.

Conclusion:
A track with so many low-speed turns as Grand Valley surely rewarded the most driver-friendly and "easy" car of the trio, the SLS. That pleased me, a lot. It was my favourite car in that track after all. But I left GVS a bit irked...7th gear? Bah...NONSENSE I SAY!!!. Can you believe that having pushed the most I could out of this cars around the track I didn't even touched that seventh pinion? The 458 got pretty close, high-revving at 6th but still: No 7th Seal broken and no apocalypse here.

Circuit De La Sarthe (2009 Unchicaned version) Time Trial and Top Speed test:

Given my disappointment with this seventh gear gimmick around GVS, I picked another venue for another Time Trial as well as for a Max Speed run. Granted, Grand Valley doesn't have a "long" straight. So, what better than the legendary Mulsanne straight? Rid of those chicanes imposed by those stupid aging old men at the FIA, this is the place to test this cars all to way up to their top speeds, their reaction to bumps, how usable their speed is in public roads, and to find that frigging elusive seventh gear.

Top Speed Test:

1. McLaren MP4-12C - 336 Km/H - 10%

Unsurprising, I'd say if you ask me. The noise coming out of that engine bay together with the awkward exterior, and all that turbo-blow-off and low-speed cornering drama made me suspect this: the McMP4 is a ballistic missile when in straight line. Like a missile, it felt like it wanted to launch to the skies at times in the bumpy road to Mulsanne.

2. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG - 330 Km/H - 6%

Again, quite predictable.The SLS with it's monstrous 6.2L engine claims the second spot here but is probably limitted by it's inferior rev-limit and it's exterior design (Which isn't by any means ugly, non-sporty, or un-aerodynamic but you know...less sporty than the other two). Still, at speed the car feels the most comfortable of the three, with a predictable suspension.

3. Ferrari 458 Italia - 325 Km/H - 3%

It surprised me as well that the Ferrari wasn't the fastest, of the three, or at least comparable to the SLS but I should've known it taking in account it's super short gears. Still, this numbers won't likely disappoint anyone. Comfort-wise it felt closer to the MP4 than to the SLS, it wasn't as comfortable as the SLS but sometimes tried to emulate the ballistic antics of the Brit.

Circuit De La Sarthe Time Trial:

1. McLaren MP4-12C - 3'58.712 - 15%

A track with more medium and high speed corners and with an über-long straight was really fit to the McLaren. Also, being more acquainted with the ruthless and demanding McMP4 I was able to pull out a great lap that really set the McLaren away from the other two competitors. The car amazed me with it's more comprehensive behaviour at corners like the Porsche Curves, Indianapolis/Arnage, and Mulsanne. Brakes were immaculate performers in the 336-0 stop needed and the car didn't get much out of balance when braking/turning in anticipation for Indianapolis (Well, at least not more than at GVS). It felt better here than at Grand Valley but still not enough to consider it a walk around the block. It's knife-edge style and feel remains, but this time it gave a massive reward, 1 second more massive than it's competitors.

2. Ferrari 438 Italia - 3'59.710 - 10%

La Sarthe made me discover something odd: there's a downside to the 458's gearbox. Since it has such short gears and the engine revs so quickly, you end up in certain gear in certain place where you think you should be in another gear and you end up not knowing in which gear you should take the upcoming corner. It's a common problem for the three cars, but more so in this one and less so in the Mercedes. Despite this and being the "slowest" (Yeah...325 Km/H...grocery-getter speeds) car in the straightaway, the 458 was the second fastest of the cars despite being 11 and 5 Km/H slower, which praises it's handling prowess more than what I need to. As with the McLaren, La Sarthe unleashed the full potential of the car and now it felt even more like a tool and less like an obstacle to drive fast.

3. Mercedes SLS AMG - 3'59.870 - 5%

This was odd. Arnage, the tightest of tight corners, brought the worse of this long-nosed car, and really was getting the worse of me as well. All round however, the SLS was as lovely as around GVS if a bit close to its limit. I felt that if I pushed it any further it would just let go and end up crashed at a barrier. No worry, the SLS still posted a more than decent lap time in a very thrilling lap which comfirmed it's "Most planted" character and it's ability to negotiate turns without much drama and with much forgiveness. Brakes again did a remarkable job and the transmission was the best of the three cars in terms of "which gear for where". Also, it's comfort around the track was stellar.

Conclusion:
La Sarthe confirmed some of my thoughts and dispellled some others. Turns out, the MP4 is blistering quick when you get it right, the 458 has a divine handling, and the SLS is well...the tractable and comfortable SLS. However, what was really great of the test was that it finally showed me what that damned 7th gear is for. Break the 7th seal with your flappy paddles and this cars enter into "Speed-Apocalypse" mode. This gear pushes out an extra 30 Km/H when you thought the air wouldn't give you more than 5, it allows the engine to rev like there was no tomorrow and the speedometer to climb and climb until you think it'll just show 999 and then 000. In seventh gear this cars make their most awe-demanding sound and push the air around them without mercy. Going this fast on this tyres really feels like the end of the world!

Exterior Appereance:

WARNING!!! SUBJECTIVE CONTENT TO FOLLOW!!! DON'T GET MAD IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH WHAT'S SAID BELOW!!!

1. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG - 10%

You've never seen two guys climb to the top step of a podium and hold the cup each one of them with one hand. So, here I'm forced to break up the tie in a pretty unorthodox manner. I really can't decide which car of this looks the best, mainly because they're two different concepts. The SLS looks like a serious and elegant Grand Tourer, whereas the 458 looks like a sleek and exotic SuperCar. The headlights, the tail lamps, the width, the roof, the wheels...everything in this two cars seems in the perfect place and make you think they couldn't go in any other place for the same reason Picasso painted 5 and not 10 Demoiselles d'Avignon. Both are breathtakingly beautiful art pieces rolling on super-fast chasis. What helped me break up the tie? The SLS has GULLWINGS!!! GULLWINGS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

2. Ferrari 458 Italia - 6%

Really, this car diserves at least 9.9%, but rules are rules. Absolutely gorgeous. It has a sexy waistline and looks like it's going a million miles an hour trough the Italian Riviera even when sitting still in your garage. Everything in it looks great, and it's a perfect blend of form and function, even more so than the SLS. Jaw dropping. It's waistline and it's buttocks remind me of my beloved Ferrari SP1. Bella Machina!!!

3. McLaren MP4-12C - 3%

Really, this car diserves nothing at all. 0.1% by much. It has made me re-think my "Function before form" ideals. The McMP4 looks so quirky and well...odd...awkward...HIDEOUS! With those exhaust pipes in an "Imaginative" place, that odd engine cover, those portruding wing mirrors, and the bland curves it really loses against the other two. Don't get me wrong, I still like somehow the way it looks and consider it "nice looking" but compared to the other two beauties, the German Blondie and the Italian Brunette, this Brit looks a bit buck-toothed to me.

Interior Appereance:

1. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG - 5%

It has the biggest seats, the biggest bootspace, the most comfortable everything inside it's cabin. It really shows with pride it's Grand Tourer orientation without leaving behind (well, not much) it's performance needs. The layout seems conventional but somehow different to other Mercedes's models. It's digital readout is maybe not the most beautiful of the three, but it's definitively the most informative and most helpful performance-wise with a gear counter, a digital speedo, and gearshift indicator lights. The best of both worlds is covered here with an obvious orientation to comfort and style which ends up in a great mix of an interior.

2. Ferrari 458 Italia - 3%

Again, the AMG/Ferrari choice proves to be difficult. The car's interior is the exact opposite to the SLS, in both orientation and magnitude. It's equally as great, but it's more sporty than it is comfortable. The dashboard layout is really abnormal without being McLaren-ish, and the rev counter is the best of the three: a big and round yellow circle in the middle, with big numbers, a Cavallino, and an arrow-looking needle that jumps like it's having a high on a trampoline. The downside is that ridiculously small and unreadable speedo (Yes, I have a big TV. Still, no avail. If it can't be read in 32 inches, it just can't be read). Again, the best of both worlds is covered here with an obvious orientation to speed and practicality which ends up being another great mix of an interior.

3. McLaren MP4/12C - 1%

The interior of the McMP4 is a book you can judge by it's cover. Too driver orientated. It's dashboard is as abnormally designed as in the 458 but it really makes no sense, and looks plain ugly. It's feels and looks harsh and quirky, just like the exterior. The most practical and sporty interior of them all, but really looks awkward. However, I'm thankful it has the tachometer and the speedometer it has because when you're driving this thing fast you really need to look that big needle, that big gear indicator, and that clear speed readout without any fuzz and without any further ornament.

Sound:

1. Ferrari 458 Italia - 5%

A quick look at this years F1 results will tell you that Ferrari can't win all of the time on the track. Listening to the music coming out of the 458's exhaust will tell you that they almost always win when it comes to the beauty of the decibels. Pardon me such an overused simil, but the 458 shouts like a beautiful and energic woman when she is...well...shouting. The gearchanges are so quick and flawless that they add to the beauty instead of interrupting it. It's loud and sharp, and at the same time almost artesanal and divine. I'm beggining to think Ferrari packs Opera singers inside their mufflers.

2. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG - 3%

An engine sound as serious as the car itself. Roary, deep, throaty. It's not-stratospheric rev limit and it's high displacement gives it this voice proper an understated and well dressed elegant man. At low or high RPMs, it doesn't matter, this car is loud and strong and keeps the essence of an AMG engine here. It's tough to decide between this and the 458 Italia, but it's again a case of GT Vs. Supercar where I went for that extra pleasant touch.

3. McLaren MP4-12C - 1%

Unexpectedly, the engine noise of the Mc is like everything else on the car, inside, out, and on the track. Quirky. Odd. Geeky. It's a very sharp droning adorned with brutal turbo discharges here and there, but most of the time it's as weird as the car is fast. It doesn't hide the fact a seriously powerful engine is working at ridiculous revs to provide the sound, but it doesn't sound very good either. Still, if it's your thing...go for it.

Comfort:

1. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG - 10%

Unsurprising given the way it goes around the track and it's interior qualities. The Merc is soft and not too harsh when you're at low speeds. The steering is a bit heavy around slow day-to-day corners, but nothing too bad. The suspension copes with every bump with attention to both handling and comfort in a well achieved manner. This is really the Grand Tourer of the three, if there was any doubt.

2. Ferrari 458 Italia - 6%

A ride quality which isn't quite as comfy as the one of the Merc but neither as tracky as the one of the McMP4 gets the Ferrari in this spot. A good interior makes it even better, considering it's really a car that copes bumps more like an iron fist than like a silky glove. It's a great balance that allows you to feel the raw toughness of the chassis in a track but not the point of breaking your spine, and even to the point of being useful as a Grand Tourer. Again, a nice balance from the balanced car of the trio. It's great that it works as both a track toy and a GT.

3. McLaren MP4-12C - 3%

Again, like everything in the car. Raw. Tracky. Sporty. Tough. Not really a killer for long drives as a GT but really shows it's more track orientated than anything. The suspension is the hardest of the three and it really shows, though like the 458 it's made more bearable thanks to the nice seats. Great for those who like to feel they're on a the Mulsanne straight of La Sarthe even when going to the supermarket.

Final Results:

1. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG - 54 Points.

Of all three cars, and again in a heart-breaking tie with the Ferrari I had to break, I liked this one the best. It's ability to be both a stylish and comfortable Grand Tourer and a fast and tightened SuperCar really caught on with me. The way it looks, the way it sounds, but specially: the way it drives. This car does it all, a nice drive, a track time record, a 7th gear and upward-opnening doors. Perfectly balanced, almost perfect, in other words: German.

2. Ferrari 458 Italia - 43 Points.

One unforgettable ride that as I said before, is opposite to the SLS in dimension and direction. It's an awesome SuperCar and at the same time a great GT. The overall feel shows it's one of Maranello's finest and it reminds you that everytime, on the straightaways, on the curves, standing still, on the sunset, in your garage. It's brilliant and beautiful, the choice for whoever wants a car that doesn't feel as controlled as the SLS but neither as Knife-Edged as the McMP4.

3. McLaren MP4-12C - 38 Points.

The beast of the trio. The car aimed at the man who doesn't care about looks, comfort, style, or even his own safety as much as he cares about sheer speed and laptimes. Ruthless, unforgiving, and brutally fast and precise. Rewarding and punishing. I loathed the car at the beggining, and ended up liking it more than I would like to admit. It's the car for those who know exactly what they're doing and that kills those who aren't very sure. Which kind of takes out a bit of the fun.

Closing Comments:

In the end, it all depends on what you want. Don't get fooled by their similar transmissions with "Apocalypse Mode", their similar mortal-unattainable price tag, and their similar pedigree: This cars are completely different. They are day, and night, and what's in between. The SLS is an understated and comfortable Grand Tourer which is pretty capable on a race track, allowing it's driver to get the most out of it with ease. The McLaren is a brutal speed machine aimed at those who only desire speed at all costs, disregard everything else, and are precise enough to please the car. Finally, there's the 458 Italia which is a balance of both of them, bringing a tractable but demanding driving wrapped in a sublime bodywork.

Regarding the gearboxes, they are all great with their pros and cons. The one in the Ferrari gives some astounding acceleration but leaves you in an unexpected gear in a corner, which isn't helpful at all. The McLaren one feels too short in some corners and too long in others but great overall. Finally, the one in the SLS isn't different from the others, but it is a bit less drastic on it's pros and cons. All of them will accelerate neck-breakingly quickly, confuse you and disorganize all your downshiftins trough corners, and give you a chaotic top speed when breaking the Seventh Seal. Overall, I felt the gearbox were better than their 6-Speed counterparts because they're so much more practical and versatile, it's just a matter of getting used to them.

So, really, it's your choice: Latte, Macchiato, or Double Espresso. Whatever you chose, bear in mind, you'll have seven cups of it and you'll enjoy the living hell out of it.

Thanks for reading!!! (Comments are very much welcome. Tests were done on stock cars, with low miles and stock sports hard tyres. Driver had a G27 steering wheel and is a GTP Division 3 grade racer.)

Last edited:
"Driver-san"
#2 Nissan Silvia spec-R Aero (S15) RM vs. #91 Acura NSX RM

Prologue

Japan has a lot of cars these days. Probably more than us Americans, so why not have a full blown head-to-head to see which car is the best for me, the driver-san? It's my choice and I saw 2 speedy demons fitting what I love: a fully tuned Silvia and a fully tuned NSX. But I could suppose I'm more of the "racer-san", so why not introduce what's finally back in GT5: Race Modification!

So both cars come prepped like GT300 SUPER GT machines, blistering with 400+ horsepower and minimal weight to curve a driver's enthusiasm. And what better way, to see if FR trumps the day. Can it? Will it? Let us read and see...

Stats:
#2 Nissan Silvia spec-R Aero (S15) RM
2.0L Turbo Inline 4
456hp @7500rpm
328lb.-ft. @ 7300rpm
N/A x N/A x N/A
1000kg
570PP

#91 Acura NSX RM
3.0L V6
413hp @ 7900rpm
287lb.-ft. @ 6700rpm
N/A x N/A x N/A
1045kg
554PP

Step 1.- Time Trial
Track- Circuit de la Sarthe 2009/Change Weather/Change Time
Rules- Rain on my parade.

Acura NSX- 4'33.608
Nissan Silvia- 4'32.109

Winner- has to be the Nissan. Just barely beats out the trickier NSX with more grip on the Rain Tyres, slid around near the finish, costing precious time. Either way, in the hands of someone much more skilled, either car could win the race. Proof of no advantage is that both transmissions were preset for the cogs to never go over 170m/h. They easily hit that speed.

Step 2.- 10 Lap Time Trial
Track- Top Gear Test Track
Rules- 15 other cars on the track.

Acura NSX- 12'12.207
Nissan Silvia- 12'13.131

Winner- Acura by a nose. Chose the TGTT because f its risky nature, the figure-eight proving a threat for any driver. Nissan lost out as it collided not only at the figure-eight twice, but also heading into Hammerhead, it got shoved into on of the braking signs. Again, very small difference between the 2 hot lappers.

Step 3.- 0-60 Trial
Track- Indianapolis Speedway
Rules: No aids.

Acura NSX- 3.4 sec
Nissan Silvia- 3.3 sec

Winner- Acura. How? Because what isn't shown in the 2 numbers above is the consistency of running that fast. The NSX ran a low of 3.8 compared to the Silvia's low of 3.9, and the NSX easily stayed near the 3.4 figure. Silvia does feel mighty faster pulling away, but it's still a pretty equal race between the 2 RM's.

Step 4.- Driving Trial
Track- McLaren Test Course (Toscana)

Acura NSX- What a brilliant car. The faux-Honda attacks turns with oversteer that is a breeze to maneuver. MR drivetrain means it handles better in the twisties and keeps up with the best of the racers. Visibility is a lot better than the claustrophobic Nissan. Annyoing 2-3 upshift/downshift becomes a concern, along with the limited 5 speeds. Transmission sounds make an addictive, booming thud that's just marvelous.

Nissan Silvia- Not another transmission! It has 6 speeds, meaning the NSX's problem goes up one gear in the S15, a bad 3-4 choice in most of the turns. The car has loads of grip, but steering is light and lacks a lot of feel. Visiblity, with the thick A-pillar and banner ruin the front, while the roll cage limits it out of the back.

So who takes the prize? It's tough to call, honestly. The Silvia is the genuine racer, but lacks involvement. The NSX, is fun and sporty, but loses ground due to the 5-speed. And coming into this, I knew I had to throw my bias out of the window and most likely give the S15 the prize for this round. And the S15 does deserve a prize for being here. 2nd prize, that is. I may be a Honda guy, but the NSX is my call on this one.

Last edited:
Can I join the review and compare team?

It's not really a team, just as much as you post something organized, nice, and thoughtful, with some interest. If you do so, I'll put it in the original post and put your name in as credit.

Things to use may be pictures if you can, and think of a catchy title. I'd kinda like that in the original posts, as I had to name CB's myself.

Thanks for asking. 👍

It's not really a team, just as much as you post something organized, nice, and thoughtful, with some interest. If you do so, I'll put it in the original post and put your name in as credit.

Things to use may be pictures if you can, and think of a catchy title. I'd kinda like that in the original posts, as I had to name CB's myself.

Thanks for asking. 👍

Yup, I saw that and added a name to it 👍. I also gave a name to my new review (Still unfished at the time, just need the closing comments) and will post pics soon.

Yup, I saw that and added a name to it 👍. I also gave a name to my new review (Still unfished at the time, just need the closing comments) and will post pics soon.

Sweet. Good to know I'm not the only one having to get work done! :dopey:

Wow, nice reviews. I'm loving the discrepancy in the style of both reviews, whilst GT5_P is focused on driving dynamics and a more functional look at the cars, CB genuinely employs emotion to the reviews. Very nice guys. 👍

I do however disagree with the Seventh Seal outcome, but again, beautyness is in the eye of the beholder and frankly, taste and personal preference aren't here to be discussed but rather just exposed. ;)

Fixed some un-proffesional spelling mistakes and added a bit more of conclusion on the "7th speed" issue.

Wow, nice reviews. I'm loving the discrepancy in the style of both reviews, whilst GT5_P is focused on driving dynamics and a more functional look at the cars, CB genuinely employs emotion to the reviews. Very nice guys. 👍

I do however disagree with the Seventh Seal outcome, but again, beautyness is in the eye of the beholder and frankly, taste and personal preference aren't here to be discussed but rather just exposed. ;)

Thanks! Normally I practice my writting with essays, little poems, and short stories, but apparently when it came to car reviews I can't hide my style :lol:

Also, in the interest of constructive criticism, what would've been your outcome? Do you think I was unfair to any of the cars?

Actually, the MP4-12C uses a high tech ultra gizmo'ed suspension system, which is not only firm at corners but incredibly compliant on bumps, it is actually softer than the 458.

Other than that, the interior of the Macca is superb in my opinion, is cleaner and sharper than the Ferrari, for sure the other two cars does share an undeniable feel of build quality and to an extent, luxury.

Regarding driving dynamics I'll give your report a 10/10, spot on mate.

The SLS is the easiest car to drive, the FR layout forgives your silly mistakes halfway through the bends, there is virtually no understeer if power is properly used and compared to the old SLR, it's a maaaaassive leap. There is a huge wave of torque available at a broad range of revs which makes it quite tail happy, but you can't deny that the massive clouds of smoke and grunty noise make an impression though.

The 458 is, well the best Ferrari since the unmatchable F40. Steering is flashingly quick, there are lots of grip at the back and the greatness of it's soundtrack is boundless as is the very best orchestra the world has ever seen. Styling-wise it's by far the best looking car of the three and I don't think I need to mention there is a pranching horse stitched to that gloriously shaped nose, do I? ;)

The MP4-12C is actually a car full of technology and built to be as good as a performance sportscar should ( or rather can ) be. Styling wise? I think it's actually fantastic, it deviates from the conventional venues and starting off the basic shape of a Ferrari 360, McLaren created a quite straightforward looking car, the forms are there because they need to be. It does represent the beauty in engineering.
Handling is sharp and will actually kill you when taking the corners over the limit, it does feel dangerous and less consistent than the others, but that's another reason to love it I presume.

I therefore would pick the SLS because it's the best in overall terms, but there is a caveat on this choice, if I were spending that much money on a car I would have something shouty, fast and sporty as a racecar. Ferraris are owned mostly by people who doesn't fully understand the might and bright about them, and as I'm not a hairy chested playboy who lives in Ibiza I would pick the less stereotyped, much straightforward and direct sportscar. By all means and facts, I would go for the Macca.

a47slh.jpg

PS : I've googled the picture and therefore, can't give the deserved credits.

EDIT: Guys, the reviews are getting very professional, why not to add a link to each of them in the first post of the thread? That would enable people to find them more easily.

Last edited:
EDIT: Guys, the reviews are getting very professional, why not to add a link to each of them in the first post of the thread? That would enable people to find them more easily.

I've already been doing that. :odd: Check the 2nd and 3rd posts.

I have to agree with you Dan_, any day I'd buy the McLaren. Thankfully, in the world of GT, I can have all 3. See, CarBastard's lucky, he's got them already.

-------------

Trying to think of a good one for tomorrow with lower powered cars; I've got a Civic Type R and a Focus RS chilling in my UCD. However, I'm having an urge to do a GT-R vs. LFA.

Confound these choices! :D

What ever you plan to do...don't steal my idea of everything recent, four wheel driven and Japanese :sly:.!

Time for be now, tomorrow time for some action!

Murcielago vs. Enzo
458 vs. Gallardo
ZR1 vs. ACR vs. GT-R spec V
Z06 vs. SRT10 vs. GT
LFA vs. 599 vs. SLR,
C63 vs. ISF vs. M3
XKR vs. DB9 vs. Gran Turismo
R8 V10 vs. SLS
TTS vs. 135i
S2000 vs. FT-86 vs. Miata vs. Elise (for kicks)
F430 scud vs. F40
MP4 vs. F1
F1 vs. Veyron
Id do some of these myself but theyd end up paling in comparison to your reviews.. plus i dont have the time ahaha

"The Best Hottie"
2002 Ford Focus RS

Prologue
Recently chilling in my UCD was a hot hatch that went by the name Ford Focus RS. Wearing a pretty blue dress and some white on black shoes, I figured she'd fit well in my garage. The previous owner wasn't mindful of maintenance, and made me do that myself. He did however, give her a nice sports filter and 2 sets of shoes, a sports medium and some winter type as part of the package. She's a pretty little machine with a WRC pedigree bestowed to her. So how did this love affair pan out? Quick and painless? Or was my heart broken at the end of the road? Let's see...

Stats
2.0L Turbo Inline 4
236hp @ 6000rpm
241lb.-ft. @ 4900rpm
4183mm x 1762 x 1440
1050kg
448PP

So I was reluctant to see my baby pull on out of the local GT Auto sprightly and healthy, with a mind filled with cruising and tearing. Being the guy I am, I took her on a nice trip to Rome for a nice hotlapping session. Instantly into the drive, she amazed me. She isn't the crazed 2.5L Volvo-engined RS we know, but a compact that's fully dynamic and forgiving. I've seen those snotty-girl Cooper-S's, 207's, and GTi's gossiping behind her back, but that gives her the initiative to burn all of them where it counts. And burn she does! A time of 1'19.981 is 5 seconds faster than a younger but bigger Vovlo C30. The transmission is so smooth and deft that you'll be astounded. There is also a playful oversteer to her- almost like she's powering to the rear wheels and not the front! And she's so slim, at 2314lbs., lighter than a Fiat 500 but with twice and more the power.

But how would she handle on a real track? She pleaded. So we went over to France to take on Sarthe- the '05, unchicaned version that is. But would she be the same? Would she be coarse and buzzy? Would she slump behind the other girls? Nope. Everything that we had on the Rome course returns, in extremely high composure. True, I wish she came with a 6th speed, and that she didn't sound a bit coarse at 144m/h, but against the others, she's pretty fine.

Already in France, we blasted down to Chamonix to see if those snow shoes were ready to be used. And boy were they. Everything that's been said is back, and rallying is her home. Like any car, push too hard and the steering goes haywire. You learn that 2-3-4 can be a nuisance if she doesn't let you get it right, but comply with her, and she's one helluva drive.

In my eyes, she's the best Ford I've ever piloted. It's one fantastic drive unsurpassed by her contenders. She could use a 6th gear and a touch-up every now and again, but for $38K, she's worth it. You can get an all-singing, all-dancing STi for the same down payment, but that little lady isn't worth it. The great thing is, mine had a twin sister. A fully tuned one....

Murcielago vs. Enzo
458 vs. Gallardo
Z06 vs. SRT10 vs. GT
LFA vs. 599 vs. SLR,
C63 vs. ISF vs. M3
XKR vs. DB9 vs. Gran Turismo
R8 V10 vs. SLS
TTS vs. 135i
F430 scud vs. F40
MP4 vs. F1
F1 vs. Veyron

Id do some of these myself but theyd end up paling in comparison to your reviews.. plus i dont have the time ahaha

:scared:

Thanks for the credit.

That's a lot, first off...second off, I don't have the money...third off, I can't do all supercars because of my own plan that I have in the pipeline. Not even CarBastard knows of it, although it's going to be a long time before I can do it. (I do have to tell you eventually, though)

I've crossed out the ones I wouldn't consider, anyways. There are nice suggestions, but I normally follow my own path, along with money and what's available.

C63 vs. ISF vs. M3
R8 V10 vs. SLS vs Gallardo?

I'll do those 4.👍

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the ultimate duel: Impreza vs Evo. Or maybe Mark IV Race Car vs XJ13 vs 330 P4. Or F40 vs RUF BTR tuned to 959's specs. Or Renaultsport Megane vs Golf GTi. Or M5 vs E55 AMG vs RS6 vs XFR.

:scared:

Thanks for the credit.

That's a lot, first off...second off, I don't have the money...third off, I can't do all supercars because of my own plan that I have in the pipeline. Not even CarBastard knows of it, although it's going to be a long time before I can do it. (I do have to tell you eventually, though)

I've crossed out the ones I wouldn't consider, anyways. There are nice suggestions, but I normally follow my own path, along with money and what's available.

you need any of those cars for the ones youre considering let me know.. ill put them up on my page so you can borrow and compare them.. i (sadly) have every one listed except for the FT-86 which would be a snap to get, so itll take the money pressure off of you

Last edited:
I'll do those 4.👍

haha be my guest.. lol

we're also idiots, we totally forgot the Challenger SRT8 vs. Camaro SS duel (a 2007 Mustang with an automatic is like bringing safety scissors to a gunfight with these two, Im a Camaro guy and im even leaving that car out for its own good.. its just not fair to it)

Last edited:
I could also lend most (if not all) of those cars. I could help with the reviews but it depends how long does today's review take to finish.

Back