GT Prologue & GT5 - Graphics

rivermandrake
Hi, I'm new here so please forgive me if this is a common thread. I don't have time to search as I'm posting on the sly at work :P

I was just wondering if we can expect the graphics on GT5 to be better than GTP or not. I'd assume so but has there been any confirmation we'll see higher polygon counts in GT5 compared to GTP?

I say this because I'm yet to see actual gameplay footage of GT5, the trailers I've seen look great but past experience has taught me to not go by what trailers show too much.

Of course graphics aren't everything but I can't help but get annoyed at times by the flickering of pixels (that classic playstation thing) that can happen on GTP replays. I'd also hope we don't get the jaggy shadows quite a few ps3 games have.

Whats your take on it? Have PD spoken about the games in comparison in such a way?

Dan

Just as reference, GT4: Prologue was actually slightly better looking than GT4, but then that doesn't mean that will be the case this time around. Only time will tell.

From watching some of the Gamescom videos. The background seems to be looking better than GT5P but the cars still look the same. Big plus in my book. Background details are just as if not more important than car details. When you're racing, you're not staring at your car, you're looking at the track and where you're going.

I'd have to say that if they manage to turn v-sync on for GT 5 then GT 5 is automatically considerably looking.

Do you even know what V-Sync is, or what it even does?

Enabling V-Sync won't change the quality of the textures at all.

Do you even know what V-Sync is, or what it even does?

Enabling V-Sync won't change the quality of the textures at all.
Did you even read his post? He didn't even mention textures, so quit with the smart-ass attitude. If you know what V-Sync is/does, why don't you educate us all in how it relates to GT5 instead of putting people down just to make yourself feel better?

IDK about you guys, But I think Graphis will be BIT improved, over GT5Prologue, as well we have seen the GT5 DEMO and it look super sweet.

Anyone care to translate this? or am i just reading it wrong.

There's no need to translate it because it is incorrect.

V-sync is basically the synchronisation of the game's frame rate to match the refresh rate of the TV it is being viewed on.

It is in no way related to the quality of the textures.

However, it could reduce the amount of tearing (which i'm yet to notice).

Did you even read his post? He didn't even mention textures, so quit with the smart-ass attitude. If you know what V-Sync is/does, why don't you educate us all in how it relates to GT5 instead of putting people down just to make yourself feel better?
Wow, that response is a bit out of line. :ill:

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I was personally attacking him.

I interpreted his sentence as "if V-sync is enabled in GT5, it will be considerably better looking than GT5P".

Relax, or next time you will face the full force of the 'report' button....

From the gamescon video, You see that the car's have a lot more detail. I think gt5 will be much better than gt5p

Wow, that response is a bit out of line. :ill:

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I was personally attacking him.

I interpreted his sentence as "if V-sync is enabled in GT5, it will be considerably better looking than GT5P".

Relax, or next time you will face the full force of the 'report' button....
I don't care how it was interpreted, it did not need the initial response that it got, implying that he was stupid.

Go ahead and use the report button - my life is not goverend by what goes on in this place. Threats like that though...sounds like a little school kid.

I think the main improvements will be to lighting, shadowing, and aliasing. The good old scaleable parameters. People who are expecting increased polygon count forget it. I would like the textures to be improved, especially the road surface, more like SHIFT, but i don't know if all they need to do is up the res of the textures or completly replace them. Some ofthe textures on London track look very poor.

Someone commented on the Gamescom vid, and said that the interiors of the buildings were modelled to some extent. They said you could see the ceiling lights move dynamically as you drive past. I hope this is true because i hate the low ress photos they got for windows at the moment.

Also there are a number of graphical hiccups albeit minor ones that need fixing, such as the exhaust tip on the imprezza, if you look closely you can see the edge of it is not connected to the rest of the pipe, you can see through it to the road surface. This is probably an LOD fix though, i mean although the cars are ''modelled'' with 250k pollys, i doubt all of them are drawn for each car at anyone time. You can see through the crevaces of quite a few cars in Prologue and see the road surface.

I want to see skid marks, better smoke, camera movements and blur like SHIFT. I want to feel immersed. In Prologue i unfortunately don't. Gamescom build did look better though from looking at the vids, the lighting looked much improved, not sure about the reflections though.

I don't care how it was interpreted, it did not need the initial response that it got, implying that he was stupid.

Go ahead and use the report button - my life is not goverend by what goes on in this place. Threats like that though...sounds like a little school kid.
I'm literally shaking my head and having a bit of a laugh.

HOW DID YOU COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT I WAS IMPLYING HE WAS STUPID?

I asked him if he actually knew what it was. I could have said: "Fail. You have no idea of what you're on about, you idiot", but instead I politely asked him if he understood what V-sync was. He may have been confusing it with something else or he may have read something wrong.

I corrected him without abusing him.

I guess it's your loss when you struggle to interpret everyday conversation.

If better looking textures don't make a game look technically better, then what does it do? :dunce:

I doubt the graphics will be much better. I even doubt they will be better, 1000 cars isn't an easy thing to do. I'm probably wrong, though.

Frankly, I wouldn't be bothered if graphics didn't improved. Graphics of Prologue look fantastic enough to me. If they are worse, however, then... :mischievous: :mad:

Well, GT5 already looks "better".
The core graphics are the same, but if you then add things like damage and physics objects on the track, the game itself looks even more impressive overall.

They dont really have to work anymore on graphics stuff (except maybe for AA, but i doubt its possible to push this more), but if they now implement weather effects and real time day night cycles, the game will look even more impressive.

Just because 1000 cars don't mean graphics will be tonned down. But sure for some cars they will be. There will be all cars from GT5P plus additional ones with super textures and models.. Rest will be updated GT4 cars with HD graphics.. So some cars will look bit diffrent and less detail over premium ones, but I bet there will be bit more smoke, or something else that will make GT5 look prettier over GT5P . Allready the TOKYO map with full 3D buildings looks damn gorgeous!

AAscooter guy gave a good explanation and good response.. when I read it it did not implement anything to make the other person look stupid. The other person thought V sink will make game look better but in reality it does not.
You on the other hand jumped to conclusion maybe you did not read it correct? But please man grow up.

Last edited:
Rest will be updated GT4 cars with HD graphics.. So some cars will look bit diffrent and less detail over premium ones
NO!
We already have GT4 cars in GT5P, there wont be a difference in quality.
It would look completely stupid.

As far as polygons go, there won't be a difference. As many have said, from viewing the Gamescom videos, the lighting has been much improved and i also noticed that the Replay FPS has also been improved.

Prologue only has one city track, which looks great in my opinion, but the rest are pretty plain Jane (ok with me). In saying that, the Tokyo track looks incredible and to think we still havent seen El Capitan and many other visual stunners from previous iterations.

Judging from the last few frames of the new video which look like replay gameplay to me, its looking fantastic. When you see the racecars taking the curve on Nurburg they just look so natural, no one does it better. Also the clouds and trees look great.

Again as stated before, i really hope they improve the shadows and AA. But im still pleased with the visual splendor of prologue.

NO!
We already have GT4 cars in GT5P, there wont be a difference in quality.
It would look completely stupid.

Yes we do, but these are updated and re build from scratch.. On that ONE day when PD posted some GT info, It clreally said that GT4 cars will be recycled.. SO I am guessing they will just update them in HD and also give simple cockpit view just like in GT PSP version but with steering wheel added. Besides cars in GT4 look great, they models were correct, if PD updates them a bit, they will look stunning anyways.

No it didnt say that, it just said there will be 170 premium cars, 1000 overall, which means 830 "not premium" "known from past GT games" (or something like this), GT4 didnt had 830 cars and they clearly wont use models from GTPSP.

Why so much anger over my comment???

I know exactly what V-Sync is and what it does. If PD can enable v-sync for GT 5 then the screen tearing problem of GT5P will be gone.

I said nothing about textures or anything else.

It clreally said that GT4 cars will be recycled.
I don't recall seeing that clearly written on the GT website at all, infact, a lot of things posted on the GT website that day weren't very clear at all. As I said in post #2, we'll just have to wait and see.

I've read a couple articles long ago (but please don't ask for a link as they were quiet a bit ago) where Kazunori mentions that the visual in terms of environment is not its final build in GT5P, but the cars are however. Then on the later article he talks about how games fool us of only being able to see such distance ahead.

Basically the improvement in graphics will be the environment and the like, so yes it will improve in GT5. I don't remember anything about interiors or outer bodyparts of cars to be improve though, but this shouldn't matter as they are already spectactuclar.

So i guess we will see heat coming from some metal surfaces & the suface of the track, if the game simulates very hot weather.I remember seeing this in GT3.

I'm pretty positive there will be a proper cockpit view for all the cars in GT5. It would be pretty rediculous to only have proper cockpits in 170 of the 1000+ vehicles after 5+ years of working on the game. As far as graphics, all the cars will look the same because it would just be silly to have a highly detailed "premium" car racing on the same track as a "recycled" GT4 car that doesn't look up to par with the overall GT5 graphics. :lol:

All the cars will look more beautiful than these pics

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119571&page=3

Scroll down the page.

Even if GT5 doesn't look as good as PGR4 (assuming that's what you're talking about on that thread), I wouldn't be bothered by it at all. PGR4 was only running 30fps at 720P and not much as far as "physics" goes. GT5 will be running 1080P at 60fps with a lot of other calculations involved as well. If you really think about it. That is pretty damn impressive that the graphics looks as good as it does.:lol:

After looking at those pictures. I think I'm going to pull out PGR4 and go a few laps around the ring with it.

Back