GT2 Tuner Battle Comparo (Mine's vs. Nismo vs. Tommy Kaira)

GTP_GTPrologue5
None
What do you think when you here about tuner cars? An every day sports car turned into something that eats M3's for lunch? Or an insane car made crazier? That's whats always been behind the Nissan Skyline GT-R. And today we bring together the tuner models, from Mine's, a group bent on extreme tuning; Nismo, Nissan's own branch of super-tuners; and Tommy kaira, a manufacturer in its own right that started by tuning. Let's see who made the cut here:

Mine's Skyline GT-R R34
Mine's Skyline GT-R R32.5
vs.
Nismo Skyline GT-R Autech Version R34
Nismo Skyline GT-R 400R Preceding Model
vs.
Tommy kaira Skyline GT-R M30 R32
Tommy kaira Skyline GT-R R R34

So we got here a group of GT-R's (I thought we weren't doing Skylines!-ed.)
that claim as the best to offer. We're here to make that claim for 2 manufacturers null and void.

We decided to pick a very fast and rewarding track, in Midfield Raceway. Very good for our group of hard-tuners.

Now to cite specs, price, or lap times as a way to elevate one car over another (You got that from Motor Trend-ed.) is wrong, so we took the cars and drove them and see how they felt to us. You wanna see specs? Go get your own copy of Gran Turismo 2.

And here...we...go!

6th Place-Mine's Skyline GT-R R32.5
When I drove this, I was expecting an ok run. Wrong! I spun this thing 3 times (Are you sure it was you or the car?-ed.), the last one a longggg slide through the tunnel. And when your first-gearing after that spin, you better be ready for that wallop of torque....

5th Place- Nismo Skyline GT-R Autech Version R34
It might be straight outta Nismo, but it doesn't come with power upgrades. I kept all cars stock, and while it felt clear and planted, it was just too slow. AWD system was letting me slide a bit more (maybe it's the tires...-ed.)
But at least it's the only one with 4 doors.

4th Place-Nismo Skyline GT-R 400R Preceding Model R34
Well, this could have been better. While the 400R was a good competitor in terms of lap time, it felt like this car couldn't grip the track (MAYBE IT'S THE TIRES!-ed.). Too much slidey, not enough power.

3rd Place Place- Tommy kaira Skyline GT-R R R34
This car feels like everything is like a robot, instead of a full-on attack machine. Fast is here, with a bit of understeer and a bit of crazy style. Body shows flair, but when you're driving, you aren't paying attention to how the car looks.

2nd Place- Tommy kaira Skyline GT-R M30 R32
Our Crystal White M30 scored very high for such an older model. While our other R32 was an out-of-control death trap, this car was the only car you really can flog, or just cruise in. It had the lightest body for our set, and had a more exhilarating Rear-Wheel Drive setup. It was still the stock 276hp Twin-Turbo Inline-Six, but it could crush cars with V12's.

1st Place- Mine's Skyline GT-R R34
I did have some preconceived notions for this car (another Motor Trend thing-ed.) I drove it in a AWD drive race the other day and thought that for 618hp, it felt slow. WRONG! This thing clearly annhilated the field, reaching supercar status, nothing could compete! So fast, it hurts. In a different league-of one.

And so wraps up another GT2 road comparison test.

Epilogue:
Nismo's gonna hate me....
A couple days after our test, we still had most of our competiton's cars (sorry Tommy kaira). I decided to pull out our top car, the R34 Mine's and drove it around that AWD race before. Except now with racing transmission, upgraded turbos, top-spec racing tires, and a limited-slip differential. WOW. The car is just, undescribable.

Now some questions:

Why did we use R32-spec GT-R's and not R33's?
The Mine's R33 GT-R was unavailable as we went to press, so we decided to keep it fair and bring the R32's.

Why not the 1988 M30?
Several reasons, being that the model version wasn't matching to anyone elses (R31), plus it's FR and lacks turbochargers, making it too slow for our group of speedsters.

Why not the regualar 400R?
We didn't have it in our garage, therefore, we couldn't drive it. I can't really explain a difference between them.

Last edited:
I've learned most people do like reading them. I tryed to do a real-life kind of comparo with this one. And does anyone know how I can embed them into my signature? Like I know I can put the url. in but how do I make the certain name for it come up?

Pretty good read. I've always thought of the GT-R 4-door Autech to have one of the more interesting bugs in regards to power disparity, but it sounds like it still went over pretty good despite being glitched in that respect.

Yep. the Autech Version has always felt strange in the way that the power is wrong (the info section says 380hp). I'm hoping people pay more attention to GT2. Still does anyone have an answer to my question above? If you do, just PM me.

Yep. the Autech Version has always felt strange in the way that the power is wrong (the info section says 380hp). I'm hoping people pay more attention to GT2. Still does anyone have an answer to my question above? If you do, just PM me.
For this thread:
PHP:
[url=https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129423]GT2 Tuner Battle Comparo[/url]
Which will look like this in your sig:
GT2 Tuner Battle Comparo

For your previous thread:
PHP:
[url=https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129314]GT2 FF 4-Cyl. Sedan Comparo[/url]
Which will look like this:
GT2 FF 4-Cyl. Sedan Comparo

Copy the entirety of the info in the gray boxes to your sig and they should work.

Last edited:
Well, looks like someone found my secret. I decided to write this as if I were a editor or something. (I hope to be working for a magazine someday)

Back