GT4 Doesn't Work on PS3 with v2.0 Update!!!

• Thread starter phantasm
  • 48 comments
I meant more "don't sue me if you can't play your game because of what I've said", but I knew you'd take my words anyway ;)

Hmm. Well, if that's true, it's quite possible that each of the hard drive versions are different, and that the hard drive capacity is the only way to tell which version of PS3 you have. It could still be totally unrelated, though, and we need more examples to be sure.

Crimson, I think I do know where you're living but I can't remember :embarrassed: so just for reference, what type of PS3 are you using?

DE
The 80gb PS3s only have software emulation for their backwards compatibility while the 60gb had the Emotion Engine chipset in them. So an update on the software emulation could create an issue, but as the 60gb has the actual hardware installed it is probably least likely to be upset by an update.

If people with problems could list which model they have we could probably get to the bottom of all this. For the record my NTSC 60gb works fine with GT4.

And memory card reader right here, TM. I think it would be easier to borrow Famine's though. Since I planned to get rid of my PS2 after getting the PS3 the $15 was well spent to prevent me from having to start GT4 all over again. Now, I just loan it out to anyone I know that gets a PS3.

GT4 works fine on my PS3.

I can't tell if this post is FUD, a violation of rule #1 in GTP's AUP, or just yet another example of bad info that unsuspectingly gets spread over the internet via forums?

Sony has had a total of 18 System Software Updates that have continually improved software performance and features.

And as far as I know, this is the first time any update has caused a problem with a game... and in this case apparently only effecting PS3's without the Emotion Engine chip.

I also suspect Sony is already working on a fix for those that have been effected.

That's a good question, although that would prevent you from playing online.

The fact that Sony makes available the User's Guides to all previous Systems suggests that it may be possible... or they do this just in the event someone couldn't or chooses not to update their system.

If you are really interested in seeing if that is possible, I suspect the best place to get your answer is through Sony PS3 Support.

I wasn't trying to violate anything, I was referring more to their PSP updates than the PS3, however, as someone has previously posted that it works fine on the US 60gig PS3, which is what I have, then I can update safely.

keep the mem card adapter, you can put files back on the memory card if need be (playing gt4 at your friends house who doesn't have a ps3). and you can even read directly off the memory card without having to copy all the data onto the ps3 đź‘Ť

as for the update I have an ntsc 60 gig with the EE and all my ps2 games work fine

Did I hear correctly before when someone siad that ps3 freezes just like a crappy computer when you're playing games?

I see you're looking to troll a little here, Don't..

A few have seen the PS3, without hardware BC, hang itself when playing PS2 games... That's it !...

Did I hear correctly before when someone siad that ps3 freezes just like a crappy computer when you're playing games?
I have yet to see this happen where it wasn't a software issue, such as incomplete demos, a glitch (now fixed) in Warhawk, or backwards compatibility when using emulation.

The thing with this is that when it happens you just have to hit the power button and everything is good, no shipping delays in getting it to work again.

And I agree, you do appear to just be trolling.

GT4 also continues to work for me after the 2.0 update. BUT, there is one problem. Something in the update has subtly altered the aspect ratio of the 1080i mode from GT4. This mode already had some problems (lower quality) compared to running it on the PS2, but now everything is either ever so slightly squished vertically in 4x3 1080i mode, or every so slightly squished horizontally in 16x9 1080i mode. It isn't a large amount, but I'm one of those people who is super-sensitive to aspect-ratio problems, so to me it makes the game just about unbearable to play on the PS3. For example, the nice round speedometer and tach dials end up being slightly oval. Ugh!

This problem definitely wasn't present on my system prior to the 2.0 update.

I think I'm going to risk it. I've the 60GB PAL PS3.

This is not official (Sony), concider it as a rumor.

What the 2.0 update does for your PS3.

The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.00 update includes the following:

* Users

o You can now password-protect user accounts.

* Settings

o [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
o [Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
o [Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
o [Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
o [Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
o [PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
o [RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
o [Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
o [Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
o The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
o [Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
o [Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].

* Photo

o Additional slideshows have been added.
o [Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
o Wallpaper feature has been added.
o [Zoom] has been added as a feature.

* Music

o Additional visualizations have been added.
o CD information can now be entered.
o Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.

* Video

o Files can now be played sequentially.
o You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.
*An appropriate USB adapter (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.

* Game

o Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.
o XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.

* Network

o [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.

* Friends

o You can now have multiple chat sessions.
o You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].

* Other

o Date & Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
o File sorting has been changed.
o [Help] has been added as a feature.
o Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.
To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
o [Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
o Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

Source: http://games.fok.nl/news.php?newsid=17816

For the record with update 2.01 Gt4 is still down on the 80 gig. Wishing I hadn't sold my ps2. Brand new DFP and the only options I have to learn to use it on are my demos.

Same here eviljay brand new out of the box... it worked fine with GT4 at first but after the updates, I don't know. My PS3 is the 80 GB, NTSC update 2.01... not even a month old.. there will be other updates soon.. I'm not too worried ;) --- Randy

Version 2.10 installed at about 12:30 last night. Now it freezes rather than the normal non compatible screen. I am now positive sony has no interest in fixing this on the 80 gig. Maby they can make more money from 80 gig owners having to buy another ps2. You would think that when ya buy the most expensive version you would get the most support....

Just updated to 2.10 -

GT4 works here on a 60Gb PAL with no EE..

Mmmm... Need to test the VC1 and DivX Decoding a little later !...

60gb ps3 will always have full use of ps2 games as it has a chip from the ps2 just for those games. the 80g uses software to emulate ps2.

60gb ps3 will always have full use of ps2 games as it has a chip from the ps2 just for those games. the 80g uses software to emulate ps2.

Not entirely correct I'm afraid..

The 60GB NTSC version has the hardware chip :) The 60GB PAL version uses the software emulation, exactly like the NTSC 80GB version, so as GT4 works no problem on the PAL 60GB version it makes it even interesting why 80 GB NTSC users are having troubles.

Wrong - As eastley said - đź‘Ť mate !....

The intro was laggy, so I skipped it, but so far GT4 works on my 80GB NTSC with the update!

I think I'm going to risk it. I've the 60GB PAL PS3.

This is not official (Sony), concider it as a rumor.

What the 2.0 update does for your PS3.

The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.00 update includes the following:

* Users

o You can now password-protect user accounts.

* Settings

o [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
o [Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
o [Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
o [Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
o [Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
o [PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
o [RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
o [Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
o [Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
o The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
o [Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
o [Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].

* Photo

o Additional slideshows have been added.
o [Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
o Wallpaper feature has been added.
o [Zoom] has been added as a feature.

* Music

o Additional visualizations have been added.
o CD information can now be entered.

* Video

o Files can now be played sequentially.
o You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.
*An appropriate USB adapter (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.

* Game

o Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.
o XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.

* Network

o [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.

* Friends

o You can now have multiple chat sessions.
o You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].

* Other

o Date & Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
o File sorting has been changed.
o [Help] has been added as a feature.
o Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.
To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
o [Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
o Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

Source: http://games.fok.nl/news.php?newsid=17816

Umm, that might be the problem.

I don't own a ps3, but have you guys tried adjusting the settings?

Back