GT5 going to be in 3D ?

• Thread starter SCUD77
  • 100 comments
Tricks indeed. There's something called "Tiling" you should read up on. It effectively splits the screen into multiple chunks (tiles). Forza 3 uses it for example - 2 tiles, while Resident Evil 5 uses 6 tiles I believe. It's a technique that's been used for many years now.
That's done on the 360 because of the lack of fast ram for the gpu, what's that got to do with this?

Be 100% certain "the scene" is recalculated every frame though - it has to be, even if frame buffers are put together differently.
yep.

Oh and looks like the shutter based glasses will be linked to the new line of 3D Bravia HDTV's that are coming out this year - not the PS3. CES 2010 provides new information & clarification. 👍 The GT5P 3D prototype was definitely building 2 independent frames though (at 30fps per eye) and switching between them quickly. I couldn't see a GT5 update or GT6 game being done with 3D on the PS3 any differently.
Yep, the TVs refresh faster than the frame updates, each frame (for each eye) could update at 30 but be displayed 2 or 3 times in that 1/30th sec.

The PS3 uses an Nvidia chipset, so it`s probably pretty safe to assume the tech for this is very similar to that used in Nvidia`s 3d vision drivers.

Here`s a link to some notes Nvidia made to developers

http://developer.download.nvidia.co...3DVision_Develop_Design_Play_in_3D_Stereo.pdf

On page 22 the areas they say must be duplicated for both eyes are the Back Buffer and Depth Stencil Buffer.

High dynamic range, Blur, Bloom and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion have some values which must be recalculated and some which are shared for both eyes.

On Page 23 They say no recalculation is needed for shadow maps and Spot light maps projected in the scene.

The other bit they say has common values for both eyes is culling. It`s explained on page 28. The position they use for the camera is centred between the left and right eyes and slightly closer to the screen. The exact position is described as the area bound by the crossover points of the inner frustrums of the left and right eyes.

It sounds like the small number of polygons we are additionally culling by using this technique are negligible to the eye anyway.

After reading it, I had the impression that the frame rate hit wouldn`t be to bad. After doing a bit of Google searching for games framerate comparisons with and without Nvidia`s 3d vision they all had the same result. With 3d Vision the framerate halved.

Why? Maybe what Stonemonkey is saying is true, the cost of the effect is double. I always like to play optimist with this stuff though, so I`m going to prey that none of the current games supporting 3d Vision have been "optimised".

Just a thought.

from Amar212:
Fifth wind says that reunion will happen in two forms, one greater than other and birdtamers will have freedom to decide which reunion they will attend. Greater reunion will ask for great sacrifice to be made in order to get all present and future treasures without new sacrifices needed, while smaller reunion will come in form already known, asking for more sacrifices if future treasures catches the eyes of the birdtamers.

Could that be referring to something to do with 3D since Sony are saying their TVs are going to be available around summertime?

Just a thought.

from Amar212:

Could that be referring to something to do with 3D since Sony are saying their TVs are going to be available around summertime?

Nah i think it hints more towards Downloadable content of some kind (possibly Porsche, possibly 3D, possibly track editor, could be anything)

Nah i think it hints more towards Downloadable content of some kind (possibly Porsche, possibly 3D, possibly track editor, could be anything)

It's just the bit I bolded that caught my eye and made me think that and the fact it's 'eyes' instead of 'eye'.

I found this article on how the PS3 is handling 3D over on Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-stereo-3d-article?page=2

It`s not a super technical article, but they think the hit to frame rate is closer to doubling resolution than rendering two individual screens. They measured frame rate drops in Avatar the game when making the move to 3d and they aren`t that bad, no where near half.

They also have this quote...

RedLynx's Sebastian Aaltonen posted on the Beyond 3D Forum. "Stereoscopic views would need only very little extra processing power as the geometry passes are really cheap (they are basically just simple dual projected texture geometry with no light calculation, no shadow calculation etc). Stereoscopic rendering is really a poster child for all pixel reusing techniques."

I found this article on how the PS3 is handling 3D over on Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-stereo-3d-article?page=2

It`s not a super technical article, but they think the hit to frame rate is closer to doubling resolution than rendering two individual screens. They measured frame rate drops in Avatar the game when making the move to 3d and they aren`t that bad, no where near half.

They also have this quote...

RedLynx's Sebastian Aaltonen posted on the Beyond 3D Forum. "Stereoscopic views would need only very little extra processing power as the geometry passes are really cheap (they are basically just simple dual projected texture geometry with no light calculation, no shadow calculation etc). Stereoscopic rendering is really a poster child for all pixel reusing techniques."

Ah ok.

That's cheating a bit with the lighting (as is the culling mentioned before) but if it's not noticable that's cool. This is for simultaneous left/right frames, alternating frames won't be done like that and each would require it's own lighting etc. but even for simultaneous frames I'm not sure about the whole process being all that cheap and there would need to be a fair reduction in detail from a mono render imo.

Bringing this one back from the dead, just read from another post

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/06/17/how-ps3-outputs-3d-video/

That is a lot of extra work to be done in the few milliseconds available to draw the frame. It is not a doubling of work though, as some of the processing of the frame (e.g., rendering of shadow maps and spot light maps) can be done before you render the images for each eye.

So it seems there are shortcuts etc...

Watch this. If GT5 is going to be anything like this, where in for a treat.

Read carefully what you have to do. Choose crossed eyes. It will give a good idea of what to expect when watching a 3D game or movie.

Back