GT6: Getting the most out of your PlayStation 3

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Before installing GT6, I recommend that you restore your PS3's file system and database.
Restore File System
Enter Safe Mode and select "Restore File System".
"Restore File System" will attempt to repair damaged files on the hard drive.

Rebuild Database
Enter Safe Mode and select "Rebuild Data Base".
"Rebuild Data Base" will erase messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.
Then attempt to rebuild the PlayStation 3 database.
The content that is erased will not be recoverable.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/441
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488

Secondly, should PD offer a digital download of GT6 on PSN, I advise that you purchase the boxed disc version instead. This is because a PSN version will run directly from the hard drive, whereas the disc version will simultaneously pull data from both the hard drive AND the disc. The PS3 has a pathetically pitiful bandwidth limit of up to 15MB/s for sequential read/writes. This is true for stock HDD's, replacement HDD's and SSD's.

RE: SSD's, an SSD on the PS3's only advantage is the guarantee of no latency. This is because an SSD has no moving parts and platters to deal with. When dealing with large files (GT6), the SSD shows its true value.

Thus, the SSD performance advantage is not as prominent as its implementation on a computer.

Before installing GT6, I recommend that you restore your PS3's file system and database.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/441
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488

Secondly, should PD offer a digital download of GT6 on PSN, I advise that you purchase the boxed disc version instead. This is because a PSN version will run directly from the hard drive, whereas the disc version will simultaneously pull data from both the hard drive AND the disc. The PS3 has a pathetically pitiful bandwidth limit of up to 15MB/s for sequential read/writes. This is true for stock HDD's, replacement HDD's and SSD's.

RE: SSD's, an SSD on the PS3's only advantage is the guarantee of no latency. This is because an SSD has no moving parts and platters to deal with. When dealing with large files (GT6), the SSD shows its true value.

Thus, the SSD performance advantage is not as prominent as its implementation on a computer.
I have an SSD in my PS3 and the loading speed between HDD and SSD is so much faster. The SSD being faster that is. Also I had my first PS3 jailbroken and I ripped GT5 from the blue ray disk to the HDD. The game was slightly faster and smoother loading from the HDD than it was when only some of the game was installed on the HDD.

Secondly, should PD offer a digital download of GT6 on PSN, I advise that you purchase the boxed disc version instead. This is because a PSN version will run directly from the hard drive, whereas the disc version will simultaneously pull data from both the hard drive AND the disc. The PS3 has a pathetically pitiful bandwidth limit of up to 150MB/s for sequential read/writes. This is true for stock HDD's, replacement HDD's and SSD's.
What difference one number can make...

If you have an SSD, the BD-Rom reader will be bottlenecking it if GT6 doesn't have a FULL installation option.
I really hated that GT5 still loaded too much and too often from the disk.

I recently installed a 120GB A-Data SSD into my PS3 fat this weekend, and everything worked out extremely well. I used backup and restore function, 1 hour each. the actual hdd/ssd swap took me 5 minutes. (the access to it is the most impressive I've seen from a machine)

The sole fact that there is no more lag when loading up 2,149 paint chips, and 3,679 standard cars, justifies the cost. It also reduces heat in the system, for the SSD stays ice cold during operation. It also gives you a tiny portable harddrive to carry around in your briefcase to share files with your friends.

besides, once you go SSD (especially in a laptop computer, and a desktop computer) there is no way in hell I could ever stand using a mechanical drive for the operating system.

the difference is night and day. I'll be doing this day one with the PS4 as well. (256GB Samsung Evo)

I have an SSD in my PS3 and the loading speed between HDD and SSD is so much faster. The SSD being faster that is. Also I had my first PS3 jailbroken and I ripped GT5 from the blue ray disk to the HDD. The game was slightly faster and smoother loading from the HDD than it was when only some of the game was installed on the HDD.
Somebody is correct but it's not easy to understand with simple logic.

Digital games originating from disk emulate the disk drive and this adds a cycle to the read write. Both xbla and psn do this.

The games are optimized to be read from disk and cache the HDD.

It's why you can hear your drive spinning like mad when playing a digital DL game meant to be played from disk.

Digital only products don't have to do this, nor HDD installed from disk.

It's also why a digital game later being printed to a disk can't be installed to the HDD. The opposite situation.

Not at all logical huh? But it's how it is and there are TRC's that force this.

GTA IV is a good example more recently with all the "pop in" from the digital version and not an issue from the disk version.

So yes, I completely agree, go disk based if you can. This applies to any console game this generation and will not be the case on the next gen consoles.

besides, once you go SSD (especially in a laptop computer, and a desktop computer) there is no way in hell I could ever stand using a mechanical drive for the operating system.

the difference is night and day. I'll be doing this day one with the PS4 as well. (256GB Samsung Evo)

Almost 100% sure I read swapping HDD's in PS4's will not be a possibility.

I installed a Kingston 120GB SSD in my PS3 Slim a few weeks ago.
Both load & save times for GT5 have been drastically reduced.
YouTube has a few videos that show the shorter load times.
That's what convinced me to do it, seek and you will find.

I still have more than enough capacity left for GT6.
I only do GT5 on PS3 so 120GB is not an issue here.

SSDs are a lot cheaper now, so I think it was worthwhile.
I got mine for $90 including shipping from NewEgg.com.
More peace of mind minimizing possible HD failure too.

Last edited:
I have to get the PSN version. PS3's bluray drive doesn't read anything

You should look into replacing it - I replaced mine a good 2-3 years ago after it stopped working, and at that point it only cost me $50. It's probably at LEAST halved in price since then, and it isn't card to do. It's one of the first components you can remove when cracking the box open. (Unless you're worried about your warranty, that is...)

Adding a question: Is it possible to expand space via a USB or SD card? It'd be much more simple for me to do it that way than by getting a new drive. I have an old fat 80GB BC. I've heard that you can reformat SD's or USB's for PS3 storage, I just haven't been able to confirm it.

Last edited:
I have had a SSD in my PS3 for two years now. It is the best upgrade option for PS3.
Even still, the PS3 is incapable of getting anywhere close to the top speed of the SSD since the speed bottlenecks elsewhere.

I guess this is the best place to ask without reading through the page.

If I was to buy a used, GT6-dedicated PS3 for $100(probably realistic in 2 weeks) I would need at max a 32gb SSD, correct? And I believe those cost about $50?
Or am I completely wrong.

I've found that the race load times for GT5 are only about 3-5 seconds faster (as opposed to the 20 seconds shown in the video from what was presumably the OEM drive) with a SSD in my PS3 than with the old Samsung 7200 RPM drive I had installed in it (which... um... blew up, so perhaps not the best example, but eh). Also note that the OEM drives in the PS3 Super Slims are especially poor performers even compared to the other OEM drives the PS3 has used in the past (there was a thread somewhere in the GT5 forum comparing them); so you'll have a notable upgrade in speed if you use pretty much anything else.

Last edited:
Well, wont matter much to me as Im deleting GT5 game data and Im not an egghead when it comes to 0's and 1's. 'X' button and 'Start' is all I need to know. ;)

So much wrong information in this thread. The only game known to pull information from both hard drive and disc is Grand Theft Auto 5. It's why the digital version is purportedly inferior to disc based counterparts. Digital Foundry went over this in their comparison. Disc won out as there was noticeable pop in on digital copies. Again, GTA 5 was the ONLY known game to do this. In all OTHER cases, digital games beat out disc in loading and streaming. Go digital if hard drive space permits for a better experience.

Somebody is correct but it's not easy to understand with simple logic.

Digital games originating from disk emulate the disk drive and this adds a cycle to the read write. Both xbla and psn do this.

The games are optimized to be read from disk and cache the HDD.

It's why you can hear your drive spinning like mad when playing a digital DL game meant to be played from disk.

Digital only products don't have to do this, nor HDD installed from disk.

It's also why a digital game later being printed to a disk can't be installed to the HDD. The opposite situation.

Not at all logical huh? But it's how it is and there are TRC's that force this.

GTA IV is a good example more recently with all the "pop in" from the digital version and not an issue from the disk version.

So yes, I completely agree, go disk based if you can. This applies to any console game this generation and will not be the case on the next gen consoles.
When I had GT5 completely ripped from the Blueray version I own to the HDD the drive never spun once.

When I had GT5 completely ripped from the Blueray version I own to the HDD the drive never spun once.

If you ripped it, and hacked a basic drive sub to point at the HD then that would make more sense, but the way developers have to do it isn't quite as easy do to ease of pirating and skipping drm.

Technically you could copy that version to any PS3...

Though I am curious how you did it and if it improved performance...

Back