GT6: Getting the most out of your PlayStation 3

If you ripped it, and hacked a basic drive sub to point at the HD then that would make more sense, but the way developers have to do it isn't quite as easy do to ease of pirating and skipping drm.

Technically you could copy that version to any PS3...

Though I am curious how you did it and if it improved performance...
I didnt touch the High definition.

I had my PS3 on a custom firmware and used a file manager that somebody wrote for the custom firmware to copy the game from the blueray to the HDD. Then I never needed the disk again and the game ran beautifully , but that was two years ago. My PS3 YLOD four months later after I had the PS3 for four and a half years which got used for a lot of hours every day.

SSD worth the upgrade cost, just installed 250gb. Most painful part of GT5 experience was accessing menu's then waiting, buying cars then waiting. Did the license trick to advance the cycle of the UCD, going from main menu, advancing through the licenses, then back out and into the UCD took about a minute and a half, very fast. Now prep for GT6.

Last edited:
I hope GT6 will profit as much from a SSD swap as GT5 did. Just replaced the old HDD this weekend and the loading times, especially when starting a race, are significantly reduced. It won't turn your old PS3 into a speed machine, but the general air of a faster, smoother flow loading content and navigating the menus is more than welcome.

If I'd known the HD is that easily replaced I'd done it earlier.

I'm not that savvy when it comes to this type of HDD replacement but reading this thread has got me interested. I could pay someone to do it, but I'd rather do it myself. Does anyone have a Youtube link that they've actually used as their guide? I know there are dozens of them, but one you've actually used and recommend?

I'm not that savvy when it comes to this type of HDD replacement but reading this thread has got me interested. I could pay someone to do it, but I'd rather do it myself. Does anyone have a Youtube link that they've actually used as their guide? I know there are dozens of them, but one you've actually used and recommend?
Its so easy to change the HDD in your PS3 a one year old could do it. All you have to do is either google how to change the PS3 HDD or search for it on youtube

I'm not sure what PS3 model you have but heres a few videos

It doesn't matter what video you are looking at the process is the same for each one its just a different person in a different location.

Last edited:
Then hurry the 🤬 up and get a new PS3. No PSN version is coming. I'm so sure I could shave one eyebrow off if I was wrong.
Earth has already stated elsewhere that GT6 won't be going anywhere near his/her PS3...unless that was a fib.

The swap is very easy to do less than 5 minutes, I used two USB sticks (must be FAT32), one of the USB stick was used to back up the PS3 (might take up a few gigs) mine was 128gb, backing up might take over a hour depending on what you have on your system. The other USB stick is use to hold the PS3 update this will used to format the SSD, from your computer will need to create on the USB stick two folders one "PS3" open that folder and create a sub folder called "UPDATE" all caps this is where you download the latest update into. Preferably both stick are empty when you start. When removing the old HDD important to pay attention to the orientation of the connectors and the way it was removed. I removed the caddy that was holding the HDD and removed the four screws, place the SSD in the the HDD came out. Once that's done reconnect the PS3 to the power & HDMI, place the USB stick in that has the PS3 update and follow the screen instructions.

Once the PS3 has formatted the SSD & updated the system you will almost be done, this is when you replace the USB stick with your PS3 backup, go to settings and restore from backup, you might need to PlayStation Store and reload some of your downloads, some of Chrome-line Cars I needed to that.

The whole process might take two hours (if your backing up & restoring) :)

Link to PS3 update
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

Aftermarket blu ray lens! Ditch all the OEM crap (hardrive, lens etc.) and you'll have a much snappier console.

I've never restored filesystem or anything like that, 4 (5?) years now running strong as ever!

The swap is very easy to do less than 5 minutes, I used two USB sticks (must be FAT32), one of the USB stick was used to back up the PS3 (might take up a few gigs) mine was 128gb, backing up might take over a hour depending on what you have on your system. The other USB stick is use to hold the PS3 update this will used to format the SSD, from your computer will need to create on the USB stick two folders one "PS3" open that folder and create a sub folder called "UPDATE" all caps this is where you download the latest update into. Preferably both stick are empty when you start. When removing the old HDD important to pay attention to the orientation of the connectors and the way it was removed. I removed the caddy that was holding the HDD and removed the four screws, place the SSD in the the HDD came out. Once that's done reconnect the PS3 to the power & HDMI, place the USB stick in that has the PS3 update and follow the screen instructions.
I didn't need to download the system update. I bought a 12GB PS3 last week and I just installed the ssd into the console. Then it asked if I wanted to use the SSD so I said yes. When the PS3 booted into the XMB I just installed the update from the internet. Downloading the update before installing the new SSD or HDD is a waste of time.

i still have 60gb model and was full to the max, so i go sshd 1tb from seagate and its is a lot faster then my stock hdd 2 weeks no problem also i play all my song off my sshd when playing

I installed a Kingston 120GB SSD in my PS3 Slim a few weeks ago.
Both load & save times for GT5 have been drastically reduced.
YouTube has a few videos that show the shorter load times.
That's what convinced me to do it, seek and you will find.

I still have more than enough capacity left for GT6.
I only do GT5 on PS3 so 120GB is not an issue here.

SSDs are a lot cheaper now, so I think it was worthwhile.
I got mine for $90 including shipping from NewEgg.com.
More peace of mind minimizing possible HD failure too.

Coincidently I have the same SSD and GT6 runs like clockwork. Best thing is the auto-install: after the first time doing an event, subsequent runs are noticeably snappier.

I say it's money well spent, the whole process is easy if you can handle a screw driver to undo a screw and format an USB-stick.

Watching some lets-plays I was surprised how pleasant my GT6 runs off my SSD in comparison - there are loading times, but they never annoy me.

My verdict: go for it by all means. I assume the game profits most from the faster seeking times of an SSD.

By SSD, is there any help to the frame rate drop issue ?

I got obvious frame rate drop at those crowded starts, or some certain occasions, like the multiple S bends in Mount Panorama, around the first corner of Spa and the first few of Sarthe. It looks like freeze-move-freeze-move... even set to 720p rev.:banghead:

By SSD, is there any help to the frame rate drop issue ?

I got obvious frame rate drop at those crowded starts, or some certain occasions, like the multiple S bends in Mount Panorama, around the first corner of Spa and the first few of Sarthe. It looks like freeze-move-freeze-move... even set to 720p rev.:banghead:
An SSD wont help with framerate. The only way that can be fixed is to make the CPU or Graphics chip run faster.

Secondly, should PD offer a digital download of GT6 on PSN, I advise that you purchase the boxed disc version instead. This is because a PSN version will run directly from the hard drive, whereas the disc version will simultaneously pull data from both the hard drive AND the disc. The PS3 has a pathetically pitiful bandwidth limit of up to 15MB/s for sequential read/writes. This is true for stock HDD's, replacement HDD's and SSD's.

RE: SSD's, an SSD on the PS3's only advantage is the guarantee of no latency. This is because an SSD has no moving parts and platters to deal with. When dealing with large files (GT6), the SSD shows its true value.
Thus, the SSD performance advantage is not as prominent as its implementation on a computer.
eerrm.... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide?page=3

An SSD wont help with framerate. The only way that can be fixed is to make the CPU or Graphics chip run faster.

Thanks for the reply.

As I know, in PC, the system would grab some space of HD and use it as RAM. And, graphic needs RAM, lots of them. If it's working like that in PS3, very fast HD (SSD) should give some help, I guess.

Or I got it all wrong? And it's no cure in reality anyway?

Thanks for the reply.

As I know, in PC, the system would grab some space of HD and use it as RAM. And, graphic needs RAM, lots of them. If it's working like that in PS3, very fast HD (SSD) should give some help, I guess.

Or I got it all wrong? And it's no cure in reality anyway?
I dont know where you are getting that Idea from. A PC system doesnt use any HDD space for ram. A faster HDD or an SSD will never make your FPS faster. As I said the only way the FPS will get faster is to make the CPU or GPU run faster

I have to get the PSN version. PS3's bluray drive doesn't read anything
That happened to mine where my PS3 couldn't read the disc because the laser reader had broken, bought a new one for no more than 5 quid, very easy fix. Worked perfectly ever since.

Isn't it busy (as hell) on loading (loads of graphic) data in those crowded and fast-moving situations?

The following links save me some typing:

[URL='http://www.ehow.com/facts_6919000_relationship-between-graphic-card-ram.html']http://www.ehow.com/facts_6919000_relationship-between-graphic-card-ram.html[/URL]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2197372

So, is it the case that PS3 never use virtual memory for the program or graphic? So SSD doesn't help(?)

I really don't know how PS3 works in detail and the differences to a PC. Maybe the frame rate problem bothers me too much and my hope on SSD is too high. Sigh~

another big advantage of a SSD is they run a lot cooler, so will help with overall temperature, of your PS3.

Last edited:
Isn't it busy (as hell) on loading (loads of graphic) data in those crowded and fast-moving situations?

The following links save me some typing:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6919000_relationship-between-graphic-card-ram.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2197372

So, is it the case that PS3 never use virtual memory for the program or graphic? So SSD doesn't help(?)

I really don't know how PS3 works in detail and the differences to a PC. Maybe the frame rate problem bothers me too much and my hope on SSD is too high. Sigh~
Obviously you dont want to listen so your best thing to do is buy an SSD and see for yourself. I will guarantee you wont see an FPS increase. Even in PC games theres no FPS increase when you buy an SSD.

Obviously you dont want to listen so your best thing to do is buy an SSD and see for yourself. I will guarantee you wont see an FPS increase. Even in PC games theres no FPS increase when you buy an SSD.
This is true, an SSD will speed up loading and can help with texture streaming etc but it will not make any difference to framerate.
Only CPU and GPU can do that!

You got me wrong, it's not that I insist something, I just hope and ask if it can be ture. If not, fine. That's life.

And I don't need FPS increase continuously, I just hope it wouldn't drop so severely at some particular occasions (as mentioned). So I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

I did some search and found something interesting. Will update later.

This film shows very quick lateral movement. At some passages, it even smears, but still flows. No stuttering.

In this, stuttering is obvious until the straight portion. What I got is just like this.

This shows some stuttering around the 1st corner, similar to what I see in my screen. Or mine is a bit worse. Lateral movement is unsmooth.

This demonstrates very severe stuttering. Fortunately mine is not that bad.

I'm not familiar with this until GT6, a huge let down. So, this is no cure for sure?

Before installing GT6, I recommend that you restore your PS3's file system and database.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/441
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488

Secondly, should PD offer a digital download of GT6 on PSN, I advise that you purchase the boxed disc version instead. This is because a PSN version will run directly from the hard drive, whereas the disc version will simultaneously pull data from both the hard drive AND the disc. The PS3 has a pathetically pitiful bandwidth limit of up to 15MB/s for sequential read/writes. This is true for stock HDD's, replacement HDD's and SSD's.

RE: SSD's, an SSD on the PS3's only advantage is the guarantee of no latency. This is because an SSD has no moving parts and platters to deal with. When dealing with large files (GT6), the SSD shows its true value.

Thus, the SSD performance advantage is not as prominent as its implementation on a computer.

The digital version is FASTER than the CD I have had the digital version since day1 of release an its never froze or given me any issues the CD on the other hand gave me headaches where i had to return it 3 times before i got a good CD but its not as good as DIGITAL VERSION so i gave the CD to my nephew

Also you can REBUILD DATABASE any time you want I recommend do this once a wk it only deletes files that are junk not important gets deleted.

You got me wrong, it's not that I insist something, I just hope and ask if it can be ture. If not, fine. That's life.

And I don't need FPS increase continuously, I just hope it wouldn't drop so severely at some particular occasions (as mentioned). So I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

I did some search and found something interesting. Will update later.

We get you perfectly right. You are assuming that a faster HDD or an SSD will increase you FPS even if its in some places but you are completely wrong.

Latest Posts

Back