GT7 Fake NASCAR World ChampionshipOpen 

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 112 comments
What day and time does this take place on? Can't seem to see it in the OP
The races aren't scheduled yet but they will be run on Saturdays at 9:30pm GMT, although there is wiggle room if needed.

(Also I haven't updated the OP as much as I should have, I'll fix it soon)

I am considering adding another race to the championship, likely at Maggiore. I definitely want to have the west side of the circuit, with its cool hairpin, but I am not sure which layout I should use. I could go for the short West End layout, but I could also go with the West Short (with the straights) or the full circuit, which both are longer and may be better, but the slow corners at the start of the lap (on the full circuit) won't be very fun to get around in the sort of cars we'll be driving. Any thoughts?

Also, I have made the decision that I am going to race in the championship as #24 in a Ford Mustang Gr.3 Road Car. I had previously wanted to be the pace car, but since there are relatively few drivers right now I think it would be good to get in the action so I don't have to spend an hour watching a few cars just moving.

Of course, if we end up with a lot of entrants before the championship starts I will go back to the pace car role as the justification is there, but I doubt we'll get there. Maybe it'll be for Season 2.

If there is a second season there will be changes, such as more events and adding new cars to the available cars (such as the Chevrolet Corvette and Dodge Viper) - but there is no point running before walking, so that is only in the future.

EDIT
Here's my car, in my custom 'Doomotron Racing' livery.
Gran Turismo™ 7_20220502202418 (2).png

Last edited:
Looking nice. Built two cars but me and trashcans running same paint job with different numbers. We will both use the Camaro… tho the mustang is quick
20829706123603074.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question: will transmission tuning between races be allowed?

(It could be valuable, especially for the road course)

The way I understand it based on the rules, we need to have a one-size-fits-all tuning setup for the transmission as it is locked in after the first race.

Also…introducing the #34 Mountain Dew Livewire Camaro ZL1!

EDIT: added updated version of livery

Attachments

• 6E9B1E48-A29D-42DC-896C-96B79A7E542F.jpeg
    6E9B1E48-A29D-42DC-896C-96B79A7E542F.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Looking nice. Built two cars but me and trashcans running same paint job with different numbers. We will both use the Camaro… tho the mustang is quick View attachment 1145724
Is that a normal Mustang or the Gr.3?
Quick question: will transmission tuning between races be allowed?

(It could be valuable, especially for the road course)

The way I understand it based on the rules, we need to have a one-size-fits-all tuning setup for the transmission as it is locked in after the first race.

Also…introducing the #34 Mountain Dew Livewire Camaro ZL1!
I really need to update that OP... Tuning transmission is allowed so long as the PP is kept under 700PP. Additionally, suspension and downforce can be tuned as well as pretty much anything else except for directly upgrading the car (so you can't bore up or anything like that).

Is that a normal Mustang or the Gr.3?

I really need to update that OP... Tuning transmission is allowed so long as the PP is kept under 700PP. Additionally, suspension and downforce can be tuned as well as pretty much anything else except for directly upgrading the car (so you can't bore up or anything like that).

So just to be clear, you cannot use a bored-up but de-tuned 700PP car?

(I might have to pick up another Camaro if that’s the case)

So just to be clear, you cannot use a bored-up but de-tuned 700PP car?

(I might have to pick up another Camaro if that’s the case)
The bore up was an example. Any upgrades are allowed as long as it doesn't exceed 700PP. The only fully required upgrades are a Type C roll cage (if the car can be fitted with one), ballast (for ballast penalties, racing tyres (you will need wet tyres as well) and a racing number in the livery.

EDIT:

First of all, I have lapped my car around all of the tracks currently involved in the championship (Maggiore was not tested).

I did a 1:10.676 on High Speed Ring. I did a 28.495 on Broad Bean Raceway. For Daytona, I got 49.520. At Blue Moon Bay, I got a 47.518 and in the Infield B layout to be used for the joker race, I got a 48.98. Finally, I have improved my time At Northern Isle, getting a 15.149. However, since doing these laps I have fixed some issues with the car (such as the spoiler not being present) therefore my times may change. The PP has gone down but I do not know if that is reflective of the performance of the car, as while it is slightly slower around BB Raceway (albeit only 0.05 seconds slower) the car is significantly easier to control, which should help me as the car can be quite difficult sometimes.

I have also been doing some testing, and I am going to add some cars to the list of eligible cars. These are the:
  • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 C6
  • Chevrolet Corvette C7
  • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 C7 (due to the PP of this car being higher than the minimum requirement for the championship, tuning this car to be in the limits of the rules may either be difficult or lead to a car that is OP - in the case of the latter, the car will be banned)
  • Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car
  • Dodge Viper GTS '02
  • Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe
  • Dodge Viper GTS '13
  • Toyota Crown
  • Toyota GR Supra RZ ('19 and '20)
EDIT 2:

I have finally updated the OP, and there are some changes roughly meeting the changes I said I'd make previously. I decided not to allow the Toyota Crown unfortunately as it would be better in a touring car championship, and sadly this means we won't be able to see a Crown overtaking a Corvette ZR1... The addition of the new cars is mostly for new entrants, although you are welcome to choose a different car if you want. I was initially skeptical of adding sports cars, but seeing the performance of the Corvette Gr.3 Road Car compared to my Mustang, I doubt there will be much of a difference.

Last edited:
The bore up was an example. Any upgrades are allowed as long as it doesn't exceed 700PP. The only fully required upgrades are a Type C roll cage (if the car can be fitted with one), ballast (for ballast penalties, racing tyres (you will need wet tyres as well) and a racing number in the livery.

EDIT:

First of all, I have lapped my car around all of the tracks currently involved in the championship (Maggiore was not tested).

I did a 1:10.676 on High Speed Ring. I did a 28.495 on Broad Bean Raceway. For Daytona, I got 49.520. At Blue Moon Bay, I got a 47.518 and in the Infield B layout to be used for the joker race, I got a 48.98. Finally, I have improved my time At Northern Isle, getting a 15.149. However, since doing these laps I have fixed some issues with the car (such as the spoiler not being present) therefore my times may change. The PP has gone down but I do not know if that is reflective of the performance of the car, as while it is slightly slower around BB Raceway (albeit only 0.05 seconds slower) the car is significantly easier to control, which should help me as the car can be quite difficult sometimes.

I have also been doing some testing, and I am going to add some cars to the list of eligible cars. These are the:
  • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 C6
  • Chevrolet Corvette C7
  • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 C7 (due to the PP of this car being higher than the minimum requirement for the championship, tuning this car to be in the limits of the rules may either be difficult or lead to a car that is OP - in the case of the latter, the car will be banned)
  • Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car
  • Dodge Viper GTS '02
  • Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe
  • Dodge Viper GTS '13
  • Toyota Crown
  • Toyota GR Supra RZ ('19 and '20)
EDIT 2:

I have finally updated the OP, and there are some changes roughly meeting the changes I said I'd make previously. I decided not to allow the Toyota Crown unfortunately as it would be better in a touring car championship, and sadly this means we won't be able to see a Crown overtaking a Corvette ZR1... The addition of the new cars is mostly for new entrants, although you are welcome to choose a different car if you want. I was initially skeptical of adding sports cars, but seeing the performance of the Corvette Gr.3 Road Car compared to my Mustang, I doubt there will be much of a difference.

Based on my own test laps in the Camaro ZL1 and the laps you posted from the Mustang Gr3, I’m thinking that we are going to see certain cars (Mustang & Corvette Gr3 road cars) be more dominant on the road courses and others (ZL1, ZR1, Hellcat) be dominant on the ovals.

If this is the case, it might be a good idea to balance the schedule with one more road course, to give more of an equal shot to the cars that favor road courses. (Maggiore, Laguna Seca, or Trial Mountain would be great)

My times-
High Speed Ring 1:10.687
Broad Bean 0:29.422
Daytona 0:41.351
Blue Moon (full) 0:45.899
Blue Moon (infield B) 0:48.833
Northern Isle 0:14.953

EDIT: FYI, for anyone who is wondering, I also tested a Hellcat that fit the league’s specs out at Daytona and with the proper tune it can run 0:42.022.

Last edited:
Based on my own test laps in the Camaro ZL1 and the laps you posted from the Mustang Gr3, I’m thinking that we are going to see certain cars (Mustang & Corvette Gr3 road cars) be more dominant on the road courses and others (ZL1, ZR1, Hellcat) be dominant on the ovals.

If this is the case, it might be a good idea to balance the schedule with one more road course, to give more of an equal shot to the cars that favor road courses. (Maggiore, Laguna Seca, or Trial Mountain would be great)

My times-
High Speed Ring 1:10.687
Broad Bean 0:29.422
Daytona 0:41.351
Blue Moon (full) 0:45.899
Blue Moon (infield B) 0:48.833
Northern Isle 0:14.953
Great work on the testing, it seems your theory is correct. The gap between my car and yours on Daytona is extraordinary; I am going to have to make some serious changes to my setup. Do you know what top speed you were doing?

I really enjoy driving my Mustang. It's about as fast around a track as a low-level Gr.3 car and I am very proud of how I have made it. :P

I have made the decision following your advice to add two races to the calendar, one at Maggiore West End (55 laps) and the other at Trial Mountain (24 laps). This is less than 100 miles, as I have decided to shorten the races to hopefully make the championship more appealing.

I tried all the layouts of Maggiore and chose West End because it's fast but feels technical, and because it doesn't get much love (which is also why Blue Moon Bay Infield B is used for the joker race). The West Short course (with the straights) was considered but I felt the tighter nature of West End was more fun. East End was also a lot of fun with its undulations at the north side of the course but it lacks the Road Atlanta-esque tight feeling.

Last edited:
Great work on the testing, it seems your theory is correct. The gap between my car and yours on Daytona is extraordinary; I am going to have to make some serious changes to my setup. Do you know what top speed you were doing?

I really enjoy driving my Mustang. It's about as fast around a track as a low-level Gr.3 car and I am very proud of how I have made it. :P

I have made the decision following your advice to add two races to the calendar, one at Maggiore West End (55 laps) and the other at Trial Mountain (24 laps). This is less than 100 miles, as I have decided to shorten the races to hopefully make the championship more appealing.

I tried all the layouts of Maggiore and chose West End because it's fast but feels technical, and because it doesn't get much love (which is also why Blue Moon Bay Infield B is used for the joker race). The West Short course (with the straights) was considered but I felt the tighter nature of West End was more fun. East End was also a lot of fun with its undulations at the north side of the course but it lacks the Road Atlanta-esque tight feeling.

I’ll check out my lap times on the new courses.

I set up the Corvette and Mustang Gr3 Road Cars for the below custom race at a basic 700 PP tuning (not anything fine-tuned). The Corvettes and Mustangs were lapped by the Hellcats and Camaros within 10 laps. Not even one Mustang made the top 12.

Maybe someone better at tuning could figure it out, but I’m really having a hard time setting up either Gr3 Road Car to go faster than about 185 mph at Daytona. In contrast, the other two cars are hitting 210 mph on the straights.

That’s not really a problem anywhere except Daytona, but yeah, there’s going to be a noticeable gap there.

Attachments

• E0AC6D7C-9757-43BD-960F-5FBB7493CAB6.jpeg
    E0AC6D7C-9757-43BD-960F-5FBB7493CAB6.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 18
I’ll check out my lap times on the new courses.

I set up the Corvette and Mustang Gr3 Road Cars for the below custom race at a basic 700 PP tuning (not anything fine-tuned). The Corvettes and Mustangs were lapped by the Hellcats and Camaros within 10 laps. Not even one Mustang made the top 12.

Maybe someone better at tuning could figure it out, but I’m really having a hard time setting up either Gr3 Road Car to go faster than about 185 mph at Daytona. In contrast, the other two cars are hitting 210 mph on the straights.

That’s not really a problem anywhere except Daytona, but yeah, there’s going to be a noticeable gap there.
Perhaps I could have a rule to limit cars' top speed on long Speedway (especially Daytona) or perhaps restricting the power of faster cars. I doubt the races will be very fun if some cars are laps ahead without any chance of catching them up.

Perhaps I could have a rule to limit cars' top speed on long Speedway (especially Daytona) or perhaps restricting the power of faster cars. I doubt the races will be very fun if some cars are laps ahead without any chance of catching them up.

I think the problem is pretty much isolated to the Gr3 Road Cars.

I’m running 0:42s in the Hellcat, Camaro ZL1, Camaro SS, and ‘15 Mustang GT. I had to get offline for a bit, but I think the ‘20 Supra RZ and the Shelby GT350R can go that fast too. I’m pretty sure the ZR1 Corvettes would have no problem keeping up either.

I think that rather than restricting all of these cars, it would probably be easier if the people running the Gr3 Mustang or Gr3 Corvette switched to one of of the more competitive cars. (And that’s too bad, because you’re right that the Gr3 Mustang is an exceptional car other than its low top speed).

Last edited:
When did we add all the extra cars? Haha. I guess it’s cool but other than Camaro and Mustang the others are not nascar themed… I am not opposed to it just making an observation.

Nvm I am caught up now..

I will run a few tests.. without changing tune between tracks

Last edited:
When did we add all the extra cars? Haha. I guess it’s cool but other than Camaro and Mustang the others are not nascar themed… I am not opposed to it just making an observation.

Nvm I am caught up now..

I will run a few tests.. without changing tune between tracks
The Supra has/had a real NASCAR version but the others were only added for variety.
I think the problem is pretty much isolated to the Gr3 Road Cars.

I’m running 0:42s in the Hellcat, Camaro ZL1, Camaro SS, and ‘15 Mustang GT. I had to get offline for a bit, but I think the ‘20 Supra RZ and the Shelby GT350R can go that fast too. I’m pretty sure the ZR1 Corvettes would have no problem keeping up either.

I think that rather than restricting all of these cars, it would probably be easier if the people running the Gr3 Mustang or Gr3 Corvette switched to one of of the more competitive cars. (And that’s too bad, because you’re right that the Gr3 Mustang is an exceptional car other than its low top speed).
This seems a difficult dilemma to fix in a fair way. Later I will check if there are any more upgrades I can make to the Mustang, because an idea I had would be to increase to PP limit for the slow cars on long speedways to allow them to keep up.

When @Track_King47 did some test races a few nights ago my Mustang was behind his Camaro on Blue Moon Bay (we didn't race on Daytona) so I think it's these two tracks which are the problem.

Last edited:
@SPURS3420 I have checked the upgrades, I can only upgrade the supercharger from low-end to high-end, but that only adds 2hp for me, nowhere near enough for the speedway races.

This issue has become more complex unfortunately.

Best bet for truly equal cars is probably to have a single approved car. Change the car from season to season, or race to race, but using multiple different cars on a single course is going to cause some drivers to have unfair advantages over others.

Best bet for truly equal cars is probably to have a single approved car. Change the car from season to season, or race to race, but using multiple different cars on a single course is going to cause some drivers to have unfair advantages over others.

That’s probably the easiest way to do it, but part of the fun of NASCAR is the competition and variety between manufacturers.

My preference would be to limit the list of cars allowed to only 1 per make (like real NASCAR). Like I said above, most of the regular (non-Gr3 Road Car) supercharged American muscle cars perform similarly when limited to 700 PP. (the Supra performs similarly but is turbo)

I personally think that if we limit the series to one model per make with the following models (limited to 700 PP), we will have a nice, competitive league with both parity and variety. I strongly advocate limiting the league to the below cars:

Toyota- ‘20 Supra RZ
Dodge- Hellcat
Chevrolet- Camaro ZL1
Ford- ‘15 Mustang GT

Shelby- GT350R (optional stand-in for Mercury)
GM Performance- Camaro SS (optional stand-in for Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile)

I’ve tested all these cars out at they all run between 0:41 and 0:42 at Daytona when tuned to 700 PP.

If we want to try doing things this way, I can test these models at the other courses in the series tonight to ensure parity. Ultimately, this method of restricting the cars in the league is probably better than going with single-make or BoP, in terms of keeping it feeling “like NASCAR”.

when my son and I first started making cars for Daytona the only restriction we put on was top speed since most of it not all can only achieve 195ish now. (How you get there or how long you can hold it and handling was left to tuning)

Last edited:
That’s probably the easiest way to do it, but part of the fun of NASCAR is the competition and variety between manufacturers.

My preference would be to limit the list of cars allowed to only 1 per make (like real NASCAR). Like I said above, most of the regular (non-Gr3 Road Car) supercharged American muscle cars perform similarly when limited to 700 PP. (the Supra performs similarly but is turbo)

I personally think that if we limit the series to one model per make with the following models (limited to 700 PP), we will have a nice, competitive league with both parity and variety. I strongly advocate limiting the league to the below cars:

Toyota- ‘20 Supra RZ
Dodge- Hellcat
Chevrolet- Camaro ZL1
Ford- ‘15 Mustang GT

Shelby- GT350R (optional stand-in for Mercury)
GM Performance- Camaro SS (optional stand-in for Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile)

I’ve tested all these cars out at they all run between 0:41 and 0:42 at Daytona when tuned to 700 PP.

If we want to try doing things this way, I can test these models at the other courses in the series tonight to ensure parity. Ultimately, this method of restricting the cars in the league is probably better than going with single-make or BoP, in terms of keeping it feeling “like NASCAR”.
I agree, was going to say that the main outliers seem to be the Gr.3 Road Cars so they may need to be axed. It sucks for those that have started builds of course, but I'd prefer to run with different models each race on track together over running a different one-make each time.

I've read what you have to say and here's my view. I don't really want to go one-make or even one car per manufacturer, as I feel this will limit creativity. The Gr.3 cars are odd in that they possess largely better cornering ability over their normal counterparts, at the expense of top speed, which obviously affects the two super speedways because they're mostly driven flat out. My opinion is that, while the regular cars can be driven as quickly as the Gr.3 cars around a road course with the right skill level, no amount of skill can help the Gr.3 cars when their top speed is unavoidably lower. Therefore, to keep the cars together on these tracks to allow for actual racing, my current ideal solution (although this may change, so feel free to voice your opinions) is to enforce a top speed limit on all cars on super speedways or to use power restrictors on non-Gr.3 cars. While there may be a conflict of interest since I am a Gr.3 driver myself, it is worth noting that during our test races @Track_King47 kept up and beat me on technical courses. BB Raceway, while effectively a speedway (albeit an overlooked one) also can be argued to be a road course due to its tight corners, notably the 'kink' which is difficult even in the Gr.3s. I am not sure if we raced on any other 'road' courses but since I have done most of my NASCAR testing on BB Raceway I have seen the difference between all of the cars I have built, and the Mustang Gr.3 is only marginally faster than the other cars I was testing. The Mustang in particular is stable but not very willing to go around corners, likely due to its weight, which cannot be improved.

Either way, the test races which should be happening soon (is Saturday alright for everyone?) should get all of us on the same page and, if needed, I will make changes to keep the competition close throughout the series.

Back