United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1966-1973 Subaru 1000/FF-1/1300G nominated by @Wolfe
subaru-ff-1-sports-jpg.199536

Engines:
1.0L H4, 1.1L H4, 1.3L H4
Power: 1.0L: 54 hp; 1.1L: 60 hp; 1.3L: 79 hp
Torque: 1.0L: 57 lb-ft.; 1.1L: 65 lb-ft.; 1.3L: 73 lb-ft.
Weight: 640-695 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive/Front-engine, all wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 2-door wagon, 4-door wagon​

It's not the most appealing car, but I'd stop and look at it, just because it's clearly vintage, and not like most of the cars around here.

Can't decide between meh or cool.

Honey, I shrunk the Ford Corsair!

It does gain character points for being the first boxer-engined Subaru with optional 4WD available on later models. But it also looks like an early example of Japanese white goods. A generic compact car sitting on the low side of Meh.

So, Uncool it is.

If it was 60s or 70s this car would have been uncool, but things have chanced since 70s and it doesn't look like a boring everyday car anymore. Cool

Last edited:
Sub Zero. It's 3amazing5u. It was also Subaru's first boxer engined car. Then they were like "hey, I like this" then the whole Subaru Boxer thing started.

Last edited:
I love old J tin, and Subarus... but it really just doesn't do it for me. Uncool.

"Front wheel drive" and "coupe" are two things I personally don't like to put together. Meh.

They brought out an all wheel drive version later on, dippo. :P

SVX
I love old J tin, and Subarus... but it really just doesn't do it for me. Uncool.

They brought out an all wheel drive version later on, dippo. :P

Well, I was just keeping my post short, so I didn't mention it. Nor did I mention the fact that it looks like a wannabe Cortina with the back squashed in.

To be pedantic, the 4WD units were part-time 4WD. Subaru's full-time AWD debuted in 1988. :)

I've said it before but I'm a sucker for '60s-'70s Japanese cars. The 1000's historical significance (unsung as it may be) and damned charming styling catapulted it to my list of top favorites. For anyone left wondering:
The 1000 was Japan's first production FWD car, and Subaru's first car with a boxer engine. It also became Subaru's first 4WD vehicle when they were contacted by the Tohoku Electric Power Company in 1970 to produce a 4WD version of the 1300G wagon, as a more comfortable (and warmer) alternative to the 4WD Jeeps that Tohoku had been using to traverse poor roads, in harsh conditions. Subaru ended up liking the idea and decided to stick with it.

@Wolfe - Part Time 4WD only makes it cooler. I once got to test drive an Impreza hatchback. A low-slung, sporty Impreza hatchback, mind you... with a manual gearbox and an honest to goodness High-Low transfercase lever.

Last edited:
Did this have anything to do with the design of the Fiat Ritmo? Shared lead designer or anything? Because wow does this look like some sort of lost prototype for a Fiat Ritmo.

Back